Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
If U Were Addressing a Group of Maintainers ..

.. what would you talk about?

after introducing yourself and describing your own journey .. I think I have an idea about what to talk about, but was wondering what others might choose to share with their peers!!

The maintainers will have all done different weightloss plans - from lowcarb to highcarb/lowfat - will have lost anywhere from 10 lbs to 200 lbs to get to goal and succeeded at maintaining their goal weight from 1 to 40 years ..

What would you say?!

Pauline

p.s. my talk is in a month, lol!! and I have been given exactly **zero** guidelines..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
Well for me, it would be to describe how my switching to a low-carb lifestyle meant that I have been able to beat the odds in avoiding the problem most "dieters" have of losing weight. That is where most folks will leave their short-term eating discipline and go back to old eating habits; with the resulting regain in weight (if not more).

Sure I miss the convenience of convenience food, but I can usually find something that is low-carb and more important, something I enjoy eating so I don't feel deprived. And I've "almost" gotten where I like low carb MG64 beer ... so maybe there is hope for me

So I think the key is what is always said, to truly succeed at maintaining, you need to find that way of eating that works for you; which in my case is low carb (and typically still very low carb most days). But for others it might be something completely different. Main thing is that the weight loss is not done by a diet but by a true change in your way of eating.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Thanks Big Al! Absolutely - finding your own way is the only way .. and one thing important to me is having tolerance for other plans that also work for various lifestyles, etc .. no "one way or the highway" type thinking!

These are all veteran folks .. but I have heard some "intolerance" before in some comments .. and that would be something I would be touching on!

Any other thoughts, anyone?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
I guess I could throw out one other issue with successful maintaining and that is the importance of dealing with the issue(s) that resulted in the weight gain in the first place.

From reading this board, it is clear there are some folks that have serious issues with using food as an emotional crutch when they are stressed, hormonal, unhappy/depressed, etc. There are also folks that eat food when they are bored such as grabbing a bowl of chips and vegging out in front of the TV. And there were folks like me that genuinely didn't care about their physical well-being or how they looked. It wasn't until my granddaughter was born that I wanted to make sure I lived long enough to know my grandkids and for them to know me.

So even if the person does lose the weight and finds a way of eating they can live with, they will have a ticking time bomb waiting out there if they don't deal with any emotional issues that may be involved with their original weight gain.

Regarding the "intolerance" issue, I think part of that is the way folks will justify in their own mind the sacrifices they are making in their diet (eg, avoiding eating the stuff they really want) by going to extreme lengths to make sure that what they are doing is good for them. So if it is good for them, it is good for everyone and they will feel compelled to reject anything that would shatter that belief that the sacrifices are truly "the way to the goal". But at the end of the day, every body and mental state is different so every solution has to fit the person.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
TaDa,

You were, and continue to be one of my biggest role models, although our diets are nothing alike.

One thing about the maintainers, we all know what works to lose the weight.
Without fail, the successful maintainers react at once to any adversity.

I'm sure you will be a big hit.
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Thanks Big Al and :blush: CalRon! These guys are veterans too, lol! so I think it is kinda funny to be asked to go talk about my weightloss, hahaaaa!

My plan is to just introduce myself, tell about my journey to maintenance fairly briefly and then to make the topic be how I have used lifestyle changes to help the people in my life to better health .. some of it without their knowledge (the kids, dh, lol) and some with their knowledge (other family, etc) and basically to make it a call for all of us to pay it forward in our own little spheres without necessarily making a big deal out of it .. to use our knowledge to make small changes for others - and educate without necessarily putting anyone on a diet ..

Not everyone needs to be on a diet, but if we can help others to find their own way, etc .. I have a list of various things I have done in my house to change the foods we eat on the QT, changing the definition of social activity not necessarily to focus on sedentary entertainment or eating as entertainment, etc etc Tlak about the obesity epidemic in the country and how we can all help our children and grandchildren learn a different way of life ..

Big Al .. I also like the idea of the "reasons behind" as a topic!! but I think this one, I could present "off the cuff", kwim? I'll just have to make up some bullet points..

Anyhow, I'd love any more ideas anyone has!! I have another talk I agreed to do in the Falll, lol!! to a different group but it has to be a different talk (for the most part).

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-31-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMeee
Stats: 210/162/145 (5'6")
WOE: Lindora Lean for Life
Start Date: September 2010
I would say....
Once you are at goal....cut yourself a little slack. It is ok to go off plan once in awhile, just jump back into eating healthy the next day. We are all human, and our weights fluctuate from day to day.

Get enough sleep. Resistance is low when we are tired.

Don't skip meals...you'll be hungrier and tend to overindulge.

Don't buy the junk. If it isn't in the kitchen, you won't eat it when you have a craving.

Give away dangerous food. If you get candy, goodies for a gift, bring it to work to share.

Keep plenty of healthy foods on hand, in your purse, in your car. Nuts work for me, in small portion size snack baggies.

In a moment of temptation, drink a whole bottle of water. The moment WILL pass.

Remember that a small taste of sugar (candy, cake, donuts) will make you crave more. Say to yourself (your family or coworkers) "It looks better in the box than on my butt".

Do not arrive at a party hungry. Have a lean protein snack before you arrive. PLAN what you will eat if possible.

Plan what you will say to food pushers.

Have fruit for dessert instead of junk.

At restaurants that serve hot fresh bread with butter, DECLINE. Or ask them to remove it.

Ask for a take out container at the start of your meal. Cut the meal in half (if it is huge) and take the extra food off your plate before eating.

Order WATER. Bring your own Crystal Light packets.

Go through your closet of clothes as you lose weight and GET RID of the large clothes. Don't give yourself an excuse to gain the weight back.

Love yourself through each phase of weight loss. Your body will not be perfect even when you hit your goal, no ones is. You are beautiful just the way you are.

Smile and know that this is a journey. Take it one day at a time.
MiniMeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
So this group has already lost weight and maintaining.....what is the purpose of the talk?
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa120 View Post
So this group has already lost weight and maintaining.....what is the purpose of the talk?
good question! I've not been given guidelines .. it would generally be a presentation on my weightloss, maintenance, etc .. I will cover those things, but like to think - that this is one opportunity where I am with other maintainers and have an opportunity to discuss things uniquely of interest to us - versus the regular weekly groups we are all a part of where weightloss, tips, etc are the main fare ..

So, the question is .. what would your topic to discuss with your peers would be? they all know how to lose weight and maintain it in some way ...

it can't really be a group discussion per se - as there are too many people - it is supposed to be more of a presentation ..

Pauline
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
good question! I've not been given guidelines .. it would generally be a presentation on my weightloss, maintenance, etc .. I will cover those things, but like to think - that this is one opportunity where I am with other maintainers and have an opportunity to discuss things uniquely of interest to us - versus the regular weekly groups we are all a part of where weightloss, tips, etc are the main fare ..

So, the question is .. what would your topic to discuss with your peers would be? they all know how to lose weight and maintain it in some way ...

it can't really be a group discussion per se - as there are too many people - it is supposed to be more of a presentation ..

Pauline
Hmmmmmm I am stumped.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
One thing I might share (that was interesting to me and helped put everything in context) is that both weight loss and maintenance can be seen as different phases under the larger 'umbrella' of 'weight management'--and that what few people realize is that 'weight management' should be what every person is concerned with throughout life.

At some points of 'maintenance,' and individual may have to go back into weight-loss mode, and the only preventative is vigilance.

I also might share my own 'surprises' when I got to maintenance. [Since you can't have 'discussion,' you might preface this by saying, 'This is my experience, and it may resonate with some of you. If so, perhaps it will be helpful.] For example, I really planned ahead and thought I was well-prepared, but 'food issues' that had not been a problem during my long weight-loss journey suddenly returned.

I realize in retrospect that I had softened my 'hard core' attitude unconsciously, assuming that I could handle to occasional indulgence without triggering a binge of overeating.

So, for me, maintenance is very different from weight loss, but it has challenges of its own--i.e., presented a new learning curve.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
One thing I might share (that was interesting to me and helped put everything in context) is that both weight loss and maintenance can be seen as different phases under the larger 'umbrella' of 'weight management'--and that what few people realize is that 'weight management' should be what every person is concerned with throughout life. That is, we are not 'obsessive' in monitoring our weight; we are practicing good personal health care.

At some points of 'maintenance,' and individual may have to go back into weight-loss mode, and the only preventative is vigilance.

I also might share my own 'surprises' when I got to maintenance. [Since you can't have 'discussion,' you might preface this by saying, 'This is my experience, and it may resonate with some of you. If so, perhaps it will be helpful.] For example, I really planned ahead and thought I was well-prepared, but 'food issues' that had not been a problem during my long weight-loss journey suddenly returned.

I realize in retrospect that I had softened my 'hard core' attitude unconsciously, assuming that I could handle to occasional indulgence without triggering a binge of overeating.

So, for me, maintenance is very different from weight loss, but it has challenges of its own--i.e., presented a new learning curve.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Primada
Stats: 244/146 BMI=23
WOE: LC
Thanks Tada for the thread.

I agree that one of the unexpected tasks for maintainers is tolerance. I have to bite my tongue so often to keep from being too evangelical about the low carb life style.
Primada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
Hi Tada, you could talk about body image and how that can change with weightloss. Probably a lot of people at the talk will have some kind of experience with this. E.g., before I lost the weight I saw myself like "this" and afterwards I saw myself like "this". Or before, other people treated me like "this" and afterwards people treated me like "this". Just a thought! It's a common concept in maintainer blogs.
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
I'm assuming that they are not all at the same stage of maintenance. There are so many things you learn as the years go by that short timer maintenance people might not know.
For instance, how long did it take before you were truly convinced that you could do this and not return to your old way of eating? Do you still have doubts, even this far along that you might slip? If not, what makes you believe that it will never happen again? Was it hard to come out of that shell we all pull around us when we are fat? Are there days when you still feel like doing that, even knowing how great you look now? What do you turn to when you feel stressed out if you use to eat for comfort?
Just throwing these out there in case you can use them!

I made Goal on 6-12-11
New Goal....... 120
DH: 230/187/180
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
Tada...you are one of the people I have as my inspiration...diligence..consistency..commitment.. in my experience maintenance is the hardest phase ...weighing regularly...... exercise... awareness of what goes in my mouth....accountability to this board...
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Ta Da, a few things come to mind this afternoon, about the focus of maintenance for me. Perhaps they will be of use.

1) Putting health first. I read and experiment, endeavoring to improve my health, as best I can.

2) My food plan makes it possible to eat without fretting about gaining weight, or getting too thin.

3) Changes in content or quality are to improve health, as well as making food shopping, preparation, and meals, fit the way I wish to live. I enjoy simple.

I wish you much joy in preparing for and giving your talk.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote