Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dave374000
WOE: Simply low-carb. No simple carbs, except alcohol
Start Date: Jan. 2011
This morning, after a two-week holiday, I figured I'd weigh at least 207 (I have Ben ok, but not perfect with my eating). Well, go figure, I hit the scales for the first time in two weeks and weigh 202.6. Didn't expect that at all. Celebrated with two slices of bread today!
dave374000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Maintenance is really on my mind right now! I'm within two pounds of goal -- arguably I'm really already there, no good argument to lose more. So I've gradually brought the carbs up, as per new atkins instructions. And two days in a row of net carbs in the high 30s plus close-to-maintenance calories, and I got a little panicky. I was just sure I was going to blow the whole thing. This is going to be just a teensy bit trickier than I thought! At least!
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Martha what do you eat to stay so trim? Are you also low calorie? I have found that high fat is best for me.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Maintenance is killing me. I held steady a 115 for 3 years. Then 118. Now it is 122. I think menopause has a lot to do with it. I feel fat and frumpy. I need to give up my wine and really up the fats I think. It used to be so easy. Grrrrr. Reading hear makes me want to try harder.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

I pretty much eat "by the book." Meaning the most recent Atkins book. Lots of non-starchy vegetables (sauteed greens and onions a favorite), raw in big salads (with olive oil) and chicken-vegetable stews, about one small serving of fruit a day, very small amounts of grains and legumes once in a while, usually in a recipe. Cheese, eggs, fish, and chicken. I bought some pork sausage this week for the first time in forever. Avocados. Coconut butter, dark chocolate. And lots of walnuts and almonds. I have a smoothie recipe with almond milk and chia seeds that I alternate with a rich porridge for breakfast (steel cut oats, almond milk, almond butter, coconut butter, vanilla and cinnamon). Yogurt. I also make a little treat out of the leftover almond meal from making my almond milk. It is just barely sweetened with a little dried fruit and a lot of fresh ginger and spices. I call them "Martha Bars" (after Lara Bars) but they aren't really bars they are gumball sized round things.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

PS I realize a lot of people in the forums here can't tolerate this level of carbohydrates or some of these foods. I'm lucky in that, even though there is a lot of diabetes in my family, I have so far dodged it and my metabolism manages these things ok. As long as I stay away from bread and sweeteners I don't have hunger problems and I can keep things under control. A year ago this time, though, I couldn't even sleep through the night without hitting the refrigerator for a sandwich and was plowing through four or five big servings of fresh fruit a day. (DASH diet said it was ok!) I was never a junk food person and am proof that you can get quite fat on whole grains and good quality food. It's sad but true.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Ongoing maintanence issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
Maintenance is killing me. I held steady a 115 for 3 years. Then 118. Now it is 122. I think menopause has a lot to do with it. I feel fat and frumpy. I need to give up my wine and really up the fats I think. It used to be so easy. Grrrrr. Reading hear makes me want to try harder.

I hear ya Brendajm.....I am having issues staying below 200 lbs at 900 cal per day and 40 gms carbs. I also believe it is due to menopause and hormone patches. I've grown tired of banging my head against the wall and allowed myself an extra 5 pound leeway...to weigh no more than 205 without severely restricting the carbs....funny thing, when I said this to my body, it dropped the weight to 198-202. What in the world is THAT about?? Cortisol weight gain or what?? I'm just about to give up eating all together and just drink shakes.....
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Ooops. I apologize if I'm making feel some people bad with this thread. Hardly my intention. Like I have written numerous times in this thread, everyone's body and makeup are different.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #99
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Just as with weight loss, I think there's a vast difference between how men can maintain vs. women--especially post-menopausal women.

I lost all my weight after menopause, but in my three years of maintenance, I've encountered more 'challenges' then I ever experienced while losing. My body seems determined to add weight, and I've found that only constant vigilance keeps me within the 140s.

I know from this experience that I will never been able to mange my weight without 'paying attention' to my WOE 24/7. However. I find this to be a liberating realization, as I believe I know how to maintain this wonderful new body. Having been obese from early childhood, I am determined to maintain my loss, and knowing how to mange that (very low carb, low calorie) is my key to effective weight management.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Just as with weight loss, I think there's a vast difference between how men can maintain vs. women--especially post-menopausal women.

I lost all my weight after menopause, but in my three years of maintenance, I've encountered more 'challenges' then I ever experienced while losing. My body seems determined to add weight, and I've found that only constant vigilance keeps me within the 140s.

I know from this experience that I will never been able to mange my weight without 'paying attention' to my WOE 24/7. However. I find this to be a liberating realization, as I believe I know how to maintain this wonderful new body. Having been obese from early childhood, I am determined to maintain my loss, and knowing how to mange that (very low carb, low calorie) is my key to effective weight management.

AMEN! I feel it is not worth violating my program; and with that, comes liberation!! I also have been obese since age 6! However, I still have anxiety every morning when I weigh....it's like I cannot believe I am managing this weight issue that has plagued me for nearly 50 years!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #101
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
We seem to be in a similar situation, Harriet, and it is good to know that you also find that staying on plan is 'liberating.' Like you, I was obese from early childhood, and I can hardly believe that I am no longer 'fat.'

But it's really true,IMO, that "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

204.8 on Dec. 9. Not over trying but am doing my best to keep the weight off.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 149.6
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hello Martha, Harriet, Dave and Leo.
This year I joined the world of maintainers. I started losing at age 52, the year T started menopause. It took 5 years, came off very slowly, maintained foe a couple years, then in 2011 started eating crap again for about 7 weeks. Gained huge amount of weight that year and have been working to get it off since. About 3 months ago, my food coach started adding food back. But I kept losing. This month she added more. I don't eat sugars, grains, starches or alcohol. As a result, I am eating now a fruit at every meal, lots of cooked and raw veggies, soy, dressings and seeds (fav's tahini & flax). Calories are up around 1800. I climbed the Atkins ladder and don't eat some of the things that were offered.

It is scary eating more food. I feel more full, almost stuffed. One thing I forgot to mention, about 2 months ago, I switched over to a plant strong food plan and now don't eat anything with a face, a mother or a father. My daughter has been vegan for 4-5 years, my brother for about 3 and both my doctors (PCP & shrink). I have been leaning that way for a couple years now, eating less meat. Then a couple months ago, I experimented with tofu instead of greek yogurt for a certain favorite dish. It worked and tasted good so I made the leap. I don't know what the new year will bring.

My only wish for 2014 is that I am still here this time next year and in the same weight range - the 140's. Now I am 65 and had to register for Medicaid this past year even though I am still working. I feel great, better than I did 25 years ago.

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-04-2014 at 12:48 PM..
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote