Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Any Maintainers Over 55 here?

Anyone here in the Maintenance Forum in the 55+ part of life?

I'd be interested in some threads on maintenance skills and notes, food plans, movement/exercise, and enjoying life, if others are, too.
Hope you all have a lovely evening.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-19-2010 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: clarification
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
I am a young Senior over 55. Been maintaining (AGAIN) since January of this year. I've been a "yo-yo" dieter all my life and am trying hard to approach Maintenance from a health standpoint; not so I can look skinny. I have found counting calories now works best for me. I was a devout lowcarber for a pretty long time and lost 70 pounds in about a year and a half. I had stopped at about 60 pounds lost the first year I was doing lowcarb, got sick and lost another 10 pounds (down to 91 pounds). Kept the weight off for a couple of years and when my daughter got married I started putting the weight back on. A bite of that wedding cake did me in. From there I ate everything I had been missing for so long. I didn't stop until I was at 147 pounds. Now I'm back around 108 pounds and feel like I am where I need to be. Walking is about the only exercise I get and wish I could at least get into a "weight lifting" routine. Have a WiiFit which I've used only a couple of times and need to put it to work. I try to steer away from foods that are considered junk. Probably the worst thing I eat is a little fat free ice cream and I'm a "Jelly Belly" fanatic. Otherwise, its whole grains, veggies including potatoes and corn, fruit, lean meats and seafood. No fried foods. I stay around 1500-1600 calories/day and seem to be maintaining without any trouble.

Jonah gets a kiss from little Sister.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Anyone here in the Maintenance Forum in the 55+ part of life?

I'd be interested in some threads on maintenance skills and notes, food plans, movement/exercise, and enjoying life, if others are, too.
Hope you all have a lovely evening.

Subscribing, thanks for bringing your thoughts to the forum! I hope this thread takes off! I'm getting to maintenance, and am very interested in the topics you mention. Age 58.
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Jonah's Granny, thanks so much for your post. It helps to read what others have done and how they maintain their success.

Jkaay, I'm hoping that I'm only a few weeks away from maintaining and am reading quite a bit on it. I won't get there as fast as I'd like, but I'm making progress.

I walk each day and do Callanetics and add something else, just for fun. The extra movement is some kind of stretching, ballet warm-ups, improvisational dance, or something very soft and nourishing. The Callanetics and walking, along with my gardening and chores, are strenuous enough. In inclement weather, I sometimes jump on a mini-trampoline instead of walking.

Am trying to put a bit more variety in my food plan, and am still experimenting with how many calories and carbs, how often to eat this or that.

I miss being able to drink more caffeine. Weighing less and being over 55 has limited my tea drinking.

One of the challenges is really planning rest times. Having short rests really helps me.

I'm so glad you both posted. It'd be grand if some others post here, too.

Hope you have a lovely evening!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-20-2010 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Em, why cut down on caffeine and if so, can't you get caffeine free tea? I drink too much caffeine and it just wires me.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
I am a "young" 55. LOL! I have been maintaining for almost 2 1/2 years now. I am short at about 5'. I find that being at this lower weight that I do have to watch calories. I also do a pretty strict lowcarb diet with no starches, sugar or grains. I feel so much better eating this way so no reason to eat the other stuff. I am totally satisfied the way I eat and I had yo-yo dieted for over 30 years. This is the first time I have ever stayed at goal for more than a few months. I do not have an exercise routine but I do watch 2 grandchildren 3x a week. We dance, jump, run, lift them, etc. I do walk but am not as good as I should be about it. I make sure I drink at least 64 oz. of water a day but I also have a huge diet coke habit. It is my only vice so don't slam me. LOL! I am finally happy with my weight for the very first time in my entire life.

I need to add the most important part of maintaining for me is that I am a TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) member. It keeps me accountable weekly so I don't go on a binge. I was a binge eater.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html

Last edited by NWLoser; 07-20-2010 at 01:15 PM..
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, JG! I drink loose tea, the fancy kind, made with carefully purified water, and special temperatures and pots, and all that stuff. I'm sorry, I ought to have explained what sort of tea I drink. I just drink what I like early in the morning and enjoy every smell and sip. We all like what we like, and don't like what we don't.

Thanks very much for the kind suggestion, though.

Hello, Dianne! Thanks for your post. It's nice to read about your success. Congratulations!

Hope everyone has a lovely evening!

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: added another thought as two posts came up at once
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Are you all retired? Still working? Do you exercise in smaller segments or all at once? Do you exercise at home?

Right now I don't have access to a gym but I do like using the weight machines. I use the treadmill for walking mostly, and am doing well with increasing time, but not so well at increasing intensity.

Jan
Old 07-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning, JKaay!

I'm still working. I exercise in small segments. I sometimes walk ten or twenty minutes at a time. Though try to get in walks of an hour or more once or twice each week. This summer, I usually walk 30-40 minutes each day plus the one long walk. I currently do my Callanetics in one segment of about 40 minutes and add extra stretches later in the day. I am adding short movement "refreshments" in my day as I work at a computer a good deal. Adding intensity is not really in the picture for me. I will increase the repetitions of an exercise or make the exercises a smidgen more difficult, but, if I add too much intensity, as in too strenuous or too long, it just wears me out too much. It's just how it is now. Experiencing some of things slowing down has given me a great deal more understanding of the very old.

I spend a good bit of time with very elderly folks and notice that they quite enjoy a bit of movement, but not too much at once. It gives me glimpses of things to come. I'm enjoying how much I can move these days.

Am off to water the plants and exercise. Will check in afterwards.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-21-2010 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Em, thanks foir starting this thread.

Congrats NW Loser on all that weight loss. Would love to see a comparison picture.

I believe just because we are older doesn't mean we can't maintain our weight goal. Maybe our metabolism slows down some but I thnk it simply is eating right and getting moderate exercise that keeps us on track. Not only that; I see so many people my age and younger who have such a hard time getting around just beacause they are too heavy. I know there are many with disabilities and can't do any better but the majority of them are just FAT! They could do the same thing we are trying to do if they would just do it. Its not easy but I'm proud to say I love the way my 2P jeans fit. I'm very small boned and wear a size 4 ring and know the least little bit of weight shows on me.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

JG, you are proof that the best things come in small packages!

I, too, am amazed at how many people can't move because they are so heavy, and it does seem to be so prevalent. It is hard to move when one is too heavy.

When I was a child, seeing someone who was very heavy was most unusual. I think sometimes about Mrs. Reagan and "Just say 'No'!" and how it'd be grand if that campaign were around now for being healthy and fit. There just isn't the same frame of reference in America anymore. I'm very grateful that I changed my ways. I wasn't heavy very long, but it was there. I don't remember any all-you-can-eat places until just a few years ago. I lived overseas for a long time and the Europeans would make comments about those sorts of eating locales. I think that eating out and fast food has contributed greatly to the problem. Goodness, what a huge subject.

I'm 5' 7", but notice every pound, too. I really enjoy keeping my plan these days.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-21-2010 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: thought of something else
Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning too! I'm job hunting and currently have extra time this summer, which I'm filling up with exercise for me and playing with my three grandsons!

One big reason for losing weight for me was to be able to get active with them...(ages 3,4,6) and I can! I'm good at reading stories and baking cookies...but I can walk, swim and bike ride too! I did go roller skating with them (which was amazingly fun...until I fell!) and hiked (walked ) in Yosemite. I'm kind of finding my way physically after being sedentary for so many years.

I have not given up coffee.

I can sit comfortably with my legs crossed!

Jan
Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

I've always wanted to be tall and have pretty long slender legs. I give up

I agree with you jkaay - its wonderful to know you can run and play with those grandchildren. I have an 8, 6, 18 months, and 3 month old. My problem is none of them live close to me. Two in TX and two in NC. My husband and I spend our extra money on airline tickets when we can get the time off from work. Hard to have extra money these days so I don't get to go like I would like to. Just the same, they are so hard to keep up with and hard to believe mine had that kind of energy. I know one of the other grandmothers is pretty heavy, has a terrrible knee problem, and can hardly get around. Makes me feel young compared to the way she gets around.

NWLoser - I'm not familiar with TOPS but heard a lot about it. What is their Maintenance Program like?

Do any of you ever have cheat days?. I haven't in about a year and a half but sometimes I get tempted. If I could do it for just one meal and then get right back to eating right, I would do it. I keep thinking one meal a week surely would not create a weight problem even though I know it would not be a good idea. What do you all do when you really know there is something you want to eat and its not good for you? Is life really too short to do without certain things for the rest of your life?

I also think about other people who cannot afford to eat what they want and would love to have my present menu. Then I think, I'm so stupid for even worrying about every bite that goes in my mouth. Do we ever outgrow the desire to be thin???
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
Do any of you ever have cheat days?. I haven't in about a year and a half but sometimes I get tempted. If I could do it for just one meal and then get right back to eating right, I would do it. I keep thinking one meal a week surely would not create a weight problem even though I know it would not be a good idea. What do you all do when you really know there is something you want to eat and its not good for you? Is life really too short to do without certain things for the rest of your life?
So far, I haven't done cheat day on purpose, tho I have eaten things I shouldn't and been sorry afterwards. I am an excellent binger and am getting better. I have been wanting chocolate chip cookies for quite a while now

I do not intend to go without forever. I'm not quite sure how I am going to manage this but it is a goal of mine to inclide bits of the wonderful flavors the world has to offer in my diet.

Moderation.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rick-g
Stats: 402/195, 58yrs old 6'1"
WOE: low carb, TNT
Start Date: June 2004
It took me most of my adult life to figure out that carbs were killing me! I'm 57 and have been maintaining for 4yrs now and have never enjoyed food more. I do a Bowflex routine every second day, high reps-low impact. My wife got on board with lc about 2 years ago and has had a great change in her over all health.

Last edited by Rick-g; 07-21-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Rick-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I try to give myself treats so that I don't feel deprived. I like prunes and dried figs and occasionally will eat some dry-roasted cashews. In the winter, I sometimes bake custard with organic sugar, and use less than the recipe calls for, or I'll use canned pumpkin and put in some cream, nutmeg and maple syrup. I find it easier to stay on my plan in hot weather.

I prefer eating at home, but once in a while will go out, and those meals are usually not things I would normally eat. It always takes me a couple of days to get back to my regular eating and feel good if I go too far off my plan. I prefer to keep things within my regular range.

I don't think in terms of "cheat", but try to plan in a few indulgent things so that the "feel deprived and go off plan" doesn't kick in.

Have just put dried figs on the grocery list!

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-21-2010 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

[

The first photo was taken in November 2006 with our first grandchild and the second photo was taken in August 2009 with our second grandchild. Quite a difference!

In TOPS when you reach your goal there is a leeway of weight. You can be 7 lbs. under goal and 3 lbs. over goal. That is part of the way they have you maintain as no one can stay the same weight exactly week after week. I have always been under goal. My goal weight is 115 and so I stay around 110-112. But I could go as low as 108 and as high as 117 and still be maintaining. If you go out of leeway and don't get back in 2 weeks, you lose your KOPS status. KOPS stands for Keep Off Pounds Sensibly. Feel free to ask any questions you have.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, look at you lovely lady! (The babies are adorable too.)
Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

NWLoser - Now that you are maintaining, why do you stay with KOPS? Are there meetings IRL where you get to make friends?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Does anyone occasionally, on purpose skip what's on your exercise plan, for no good reason?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-g View Post
It took me most of my adult life to figure out that carbs were killing me! I'm 57 and have been maintaining for 4yrs now and have never enjoyed food more. I do a Bowflex routine every second day, high reps-low impact. My wife got on board with lc about 2 years ago and has had a great change in her over all health.
I had to look up what Bowflex is How did you get started? It looks fascinating. I like using weights because they can be so easily adapted to skill and strength levels. I don't have access to a gym right now, and am really enjoying what I can do at home. Would you buy this particular machine again, or something else? Could a person use free weights to get the same effect?

It's wonderful that you have a live in LC partner! Does she do Bowflex routines too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I try to give myself treats so that I don't feel deprived. I prefer eating at home, but once in a while will go out, and those meals are usually not things I would normally eat. It always takes me a couple of days to get back to my regular eating and feel good if I go too far off my plan. I prefer to keep things within my regular range.
When I feel deprived the most is when I'm shopping At a regular grocery store it's easy to shop the perimeter for fresh things, and that helps. If I am wanting something, I read the labels - and then I can put it back with a good feeling! I just came back from Costo where there were sooo many tempting foods (some looked and smelled amazing, and carb delights were EVERYWHERE). I only bought salmon and talapia, two staples for me, because I eat very simply. I too much prefer to eat at home. Because I love most everything, I try to keep my choices simple.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
NWLoser - Now that you are maintaining, why do you stay with KOPS? Are there meetings IRL where you get to make friends?
KOPS is just part of TOPS. TOPS stands for Take Off Pounds Sensibly and it is a weekly support group. We actually meet and have all became very good friends and great support for each other. There are about 25 members in my chapter and 5 of us are KOPS. It keeps me in check to go each week and to weigh. We have a program each week and it can be food related, self-esteem, etc. I will go for the rest of my life as it is one of the checks to keep me at goal. I love it and there are TOPS groups in almost every city. We have a TOPS thread under other plans on this forum and Jerome Biggars just got crowned as International King for TOPS. Each year the male and female that has lost the most weight and reached goal are crowned in their state with runner-ups. I was runner-up in my state last year. Then all the state queens and kings go to international and the winners are crowned there for best out of all. There are many awards and recognitions in TOPS and that is part of the incentives. It is a nonprofit group and the fees are low.

I do not cheat as a former binge eater, I would not do well cheating. I have tasted foods occasionally but do not eat lots of carbs. I eat very simply and prefer to eat at home although we do dine out about once or so a week. I am so satisfied eating this way after 30 years of yo-yo dieting that I will never look back and don't miss any foods. I know this will sound weird but if I really want to know how something tastes, I smell it. A good portion of taste is the smell so I get total satisfaction from that. :blush:
Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Jkaay, yes, shopping does put all sorts of things right there in front of one. I really enjoy eating simply. I read an article recently about those who maintain weight loss. One of the things the study reported that folks who maintain their weight loss usually have fewer televisions and watch much less tv. I find life nicely calm without a tv. I had an elderly friend who used to tell me about how quiet life was before radio, and before the telephone and that her father didn't like how the telephone interrupted the rhythms of family life and privacy.

Dianne, congratulations on your maintenance and your beautiful grandchildren. I do the "smell fulfillment" sometimes, too. So much of what I used to think was nice to eat no longer appeals to me. That part is nice, too.

It is interesting to read about how different the success stories are, and how different the ways are of maintaining that success.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Rick, glad to see a male in the group. Always good to get a man's input. I certainly understand why lowcarb works and the science behind it. I knew it had to be true from my own personal experience. I love Gary Taubes' explanation of it. My problem is that I'm not a big meat eater and love my fruits and veggies more. I believe I can eat healthy and still have my carbs. I know I should eat more fats and protein and less carbs but I have found what works for me. By the way, can you tell us your wife's screen name; does she post here?

Dianne, you really look good and certainly thin enough. I know having something like KOPS must help you to maintain.

jkaay - I have no exercise routine other than walking about every Morning. At some point in the day, if I'm not sick, etc. I manage to at least stay active. Its hard sitting at a desk at work all day but I'm constantly moving around. I have a lot of nervous energy.

My after pictures are in my gallery.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I've been reading your posts and considering breaking in. I'm 58 yrs. 5'8.5" and weighed today @ 150.4 lbs. I would like to be 5 lbs less but that requires major work and my body doesn't respond to lc like it used to. 11 yrs ago I went from 165 to low 140's pretty simply b/c I didn't know about the sf alcohols and ate very clean-I've done it many times since but each time my low gets higher. I don't walk much anymore-feet problems. I do need exercise I know. Right now I'm IFing until lunch-7:00 pm and it's taken a couple of lbs. off. Anne

Psalm 62:5
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome to Em's thread. How do you like being tall? Your weight sounds great. You just trying to maintain?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

JG, your photos look super. Congratulations on your success!

Anne, welcome! How nice to have you here. Congratulations to you, too! I know what you mean about five pounds requiring major work now.

I don't think of this as my thread. I just wanted a place for older maintainers.

Hope you all are having a very nice morning.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Well over age 55 here and have been maintaining for many years following Atkins. As for exercise, I only walk daily and use light hand weights.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I made one of the LC pizza recipes today, and it was delicious! It was my first foray into using a LC recipe. I ate way too many calories for an everyday thing, so I won't be making that again for awhile . It's nice to know there are wonderful LC foods for occassional treats!

This thread is fun! Want to talk about feeding grandchildren?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
I made one of the LC pizza recipes today, and it was delicious! It was my first foray into using a LC recipe. I ate way too many calories for an everyday thing, so I won't be making that again for awhile . It's nice to know there are wonderful LC foods for occassional treats!

This thread is fun! Want to talk about feeding grandchildren?
LOL, I let the grandkids parents feed the kids. All of my kids are into low carb so it's not much of a problem.

JONAH'S GRANNY, LOVE your sig.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote