Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #181
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I certainly eat less these days. And feel better for it.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I'm over 55, in pre-maintenance and VERY interested in maintenance, so I thought I'd bump this up and maybe re-activate it? I came around very slowly to the VLC woe, but what really won me over was it was the only approach I found that put maintenance way up high on the agenda, even to the point of deliberately slowing down weight loss toward the end to improve the outlook for sensible maintenance. Now that made a big impression on me. And I really, really meant to do that, but for complicated reasons haven't quite made that transition yet. But very soon. And I'm planning to track my maintenance woe and activity (including hiking and dance, plus some "exercise") through the fall. It will start around Labor Day.
`
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Martha, welcome! I find VLC a great way to live. I wish you all the best!
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #184
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi everyone, I am 65 yrs old this year and have been eating the same amount of food for the last ten years, but have made different choices when I hit a stall in losing. I didn't change the amount, but would switch from red meat to fish or from whole milk greek yogurt to low fat. I still have my fruit each morning and salads and cooked veggies at lunch and dinner with butter or dressing. But by changing the tyle of protein, I was able to tweak just enough to go from 1700 cal a day to 1300 allowing me to start losing approx 2 lbs a month a couple years ago. I have been in a maintenance range for the last 3 months, 148-152 and went back to red meat occasionally and whole milk greek yogurt occassionally. Still lost a pound a month. Now I am coming in at 149 this weekend and will most likely have to add an ounce or two or more protein or an extra fruit to stop the weight loss. I am 5-7-1/2" and have never really maintained anything below 150.

My HDL has come up from 37 in 2001 to 62 this year and Total Chol is 162. LDL and Trig are normal as are sugars.

I have been on vacation and am experimenting with no sleep medication this week to see if I still need it. So far I have gone 4 nights without it. I was getting up so much to lee I didn't see the point of taking it.

I still work a full time job, walk 10,000 steps a day and kearned to mow the kaw this summer when my 66 yr old DH had surgery. I am proud of my accomplishments and don't want to go back to life as it was in 2001, no way!

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations, MaryMary! I'm 58 as of this summer and just saw my goal number on the scale for the first time since about 1991 or 92. It feels good, doesn't it? I was telling friends last night that it feels like I've tapped the fountain of youth!

Your numbers look fantastic and your maintenance plan sounds very, very sane.

I have been doing the basic Atkins plan from the newest book, am adding the five carbs a week they recommend, and as part of my maintenance scenario, have started doing the easiest version of intermittent fasting that I know about, which for me just amounts to drinking coffee through the morning and eating my first meal at about 1 pm. That seems to make the whole "food day" go smoother for me.

Noticed a couple posts above that I thought I would be in maintenance around Labor Day, and I'm within a pound of it, so there you go.

MaryMary, your accomplishments (including the lawn mowing) are a source of awe! Best wishes in maintenance and I hope to see you here again.

Best,
Martha
Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Just stopping in to touch base while I figure out this whole transition to maintenance thing. Up to thirtyish net carbs, a few new foods, and cut my calorie deficit almost in half. So maybe I will hang here for a little while and get used to it. Still taking the morning off from eating and taking a couple short walks during that time. Thinking that might be part of my long-term maintenance plan. We'll see. Hope all are well.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #187
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello Martha, It does feel good. I could never see myself fasting unless it was for medical reasons. I eat just 3 meals a day so go from 7 pm to 6:30 am without eating. Lunch is around 1 pm. I am so busy during the day that it works out good.

I am eating about 50% fat, 25% protein and 25% carbs now. Still low carb but on the high end as my net carbs are 70 and fiber around 35. I don't eat grains, sugars, starches or alcohol. But do get to have a fruit with breakfast and cooked and raw veggies at lunch and dinner. Love my dressings, etc. it is what I have been doing for the last 10 years. I can vary the calories by changing up the protein selections. Fish or bacon, etc.

I only walked 6,000 steps yesterday but made up for it Sunday & Monday. Going to try and get out at lunch time today. It makes a big difference.

So far it has been 7 days with no sleeping meds and still feel ok. I made it through Monday night which was the hardest as Tuesday was first day back to work after being on vacation for a week. Weight stayed the same on vacation so that was good.

Have a great day,
Old 10-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/107/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
I have not read the whole thread. But I'd like to join you all.

I am 5?, and I am trying to maintain. My problem, is adding any carbs over the normal induction 20....seems to make me gain.

I'm 5' tall and very small boned.

Anyway, I'm here for accountability.
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #189
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, SnP, it really helps to be accountable to someone. I have a friend I call every night and committ my food to for tomorrow. It forces me to sit down and plan my meals for tomorrow, to make sure I have what I need or to be able to use up leftovers. I hate throwing food away.

Something funny happened at work this week. It was Client Services Week and the management treated everyone to different things each day including some games. I don't eat lots of what they offered, but on Thursday the had fresh fruit and raw veggies with dips. After lunch, I went into the room with my salad bowl, and started putting some sticks of veggies into my bowl. The Admin Aide was standing there along with some of my co workers. She had the gall to make a comment out loud "Mary, be sure to leave some for everyone else" and she wasn't joking. She has some control issues and we have noticed it before, but it got my dander up. I said I would bet you money that I can come back in 2 hours and there will still be 1/2 tray of veggies. But she made me feel uncomfortable. I went back at 3:30 to take some of the fruit and she wasn't there but on my second trip, she shows up and makes another comment about the fruit. It is now the joke of the office. When she sends out aninvite to come and get some sort of treat,people say, but be careful not to take too much. Friday night I was leaving around 6:30 pm, there were two huge trays of ravioli hardly touched and a huge tray of salad in a container. So I took the salad home with me. It would last me all weekend. Otherwise, they would have just thrown it out.

Anyway, I stayed on my plan and have all the fresh veggies at home to enjoy this weekend. They had all kinds of sweet treats Friday afternoon but I didn't even go into the room. Staying on my plan each day is more important than any other action I take.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
I'll be 55 in November. Does this count??! LOL
I need to be motivated to exercise, I am so sedentary! I know I would feel better with my changing menopausal body. I like the idea of the 10,000 steps, MaryMary
How many steps were you taking at the beginning? I'd bet I'm around 2000 or less.
DUH more difficult to maintain weight when one doesn't move!😼
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #191
Blabbermouth!!!

Last year I started with about 2500-3000 over the course of the whole day. That included leaving my house and walking in and out from the parking lot at work. Once I get home at night, I don't walk much, so I have to do it during the day on breaks and lunchtime. But now I enjoy it.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

My long walks are the best part of my day. (I was tempted to say, "my life"!) I live in a great city with a lot of good walking neighborhoods, bridges, parks, and such, and I can (actually, have to) walk to do errands and shopping and social things. And I have some goals that I need better fitness to reach, so I have a lot of motivation on the exercise front. But I have to admit that eating outside my own kitchen scares me a little bit. The food I fix is pretty much always good, and I know what's in it. Food out in the world is a mystery, and often conceals garbage. I think I may be "control freaking" a little bit here, and so I'm looking to stay very sane and reasonable, because fruitcake behavior is ahem, not sustainable.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
TY MM & Martha!
I've made the decision to start....prior to eating my soup or salad for lunch, I will take a walk. It's about 2/3 of a mile back and forth in my condo complex; I can get it done in 10 minutes. I work from home, so my commute is from my bed, to my office chair, to the couch and to bed. I've worked hard to lose the weight, and I sure cannot have my body start to deteriorate because my mental attitude needs an adjustment!!
LOL
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #194
Blabbermouth!!!

Today I walked 15,000 steps with hubby in the park and mall. I am pooped.

I bought a yogurt maker today, going to try making soy yogurt. I can return it if it doesn't work out. A new adventure.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Hi to everyone.

Thanks for the nice welcome.

MM glad you were "strong" at work. I hate it when people make a big deal about who is eating what.

DH I know you can do it. I'll be cheering for you.

Martha you are lucky to live some place where you feel safe to walk. I don't. I am scared to walk where I live. I just went back to work full time, office work. After years at home. Anyway, I am so tired when I get home, all I do is eat and go to bed. I need to find some energy somewhere.

Check back later

Anna
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #196
Blabbermouth!!!

Snp, last winter when it wa icy out, I was able to walk inside the office bldg a bit. Is that an option? Orin the neighborhood where the office is located?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Yes, there have sure been times in my life where walking was a lot more difficult. And I've had jobs and commutes that just ate up everything I had in the way of time and energy, and I had a hard time physically in those cases. Fatigue, weight gain, poor sleep, all that. When choices are limited, you have to settle for the best you can do. Good luck finding a path through it.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #198
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: redbelair
Once Again, Dreamfields

Hi
Longtime low carb here and well over 55...
I am still amazed that this product can make its claim of 5 net carbs without showing any difference in their ingredients to separate it from others.
Yes I read about the 'coating' if you will and, while that makes a bit of sense, I am still a bit uncomfortable with a man-made coating being part of my food.

I am glad for it though, as if it were not for it, low carbing would present a much bigger challenge.

I had read that they were to be making a similar rice product but have not heard any more about it.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

..still some belly fat but happy!
redbelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #199
Blabbermouth!!!

Today was the busiest day of the year at work due to an IRS filing deadline. Even though they aren't working, they don't give any breaks on the filing deadlines.

Managed to walk 10,000 steps today but didn't get home from work until 9:30 pm. Went straight to ed to relax.

Have a great day!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone....

Just a quick line. Not much new. Up a lb.

No there is no place to walk at my house or at work. Not safe. I use to walk in the mall, but I don't think I have time before work, and no way after work! (To tired!)

Will try to write more later.

Anna
Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Well, I am still working on getting to maintenance, and I guess it's going just fine, really, though I'm a little bit nervous about seeing a friend for lunch on Monday because I think she might say I've gone too far with the weight loss. I don't think I've gone too far, but I really don't think it makes any sense at all to lose any more, and it wouldn't hurt me probably to start seeing the needle head just slightly north. But I think, actually, that's ok. I'm not more than a pound or so lower than I think I ought to be, and I'm figuring out what maintenance food and activity levels could/should be. For the past month my weekly average has only dropped a half pound. But it's time for it to stop dropping altogether. I'm going to keep tracking for a while, while I figure out an alternative way to monitor my diet without being obsessive and weird and without losing all the wonderful benefits that have come from losing almost 25% of my body weight. I have MUSCLES. And I like it.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #202
Blabbermouth!!!

Martha, how tall are you? What does your doctor say a good weight might be for you?

This weekend I plan on walking in the park while the weather is cooperating.

Down to 146.2 this morning. I will probably have to consider upping my calories if I go below 145 lbs. I am 5'7-1/2" and 65 years old. The only time I ever weighed less than 145 was after I got married for 3 months, then I got pregnant. My battle with the bulge started in earnest.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

I'm only 5 ft 1.5, and my doctor had no comment on my weight when I saw her a month ago. I've lost only a little since then, and by all the charts I'm at the low end of normal, not underweight. But for looks and mental health, I think it's time to stabilize and get off the weight loss track and stabilize.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #204
Blabbermouth!!!

One of the best ways to stop losing is to add veggies (raw or cooked) or a serving of fruit, both of which are good for you. I eat lots of veggies and a fruit in the am. I may need to add something in the next month or two if I keep losing.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Hi there! Glad to find a maintaining thread. Hope its OK to join you?
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #206
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, Debbie - tell us about yourself,please.

Slowly, experimenting with vegetarianism. Except for bacon tomorrow. Trying to use up the meat in the freezer. Then we'll try it one day at a time.

Staying right around 146-147 lbs
Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, Debbie!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the welcome.
I got serious about losing wt. (again) back in Sept. 2011. Reached my goal Oct.2012. During that time I discovered I had hypo-thyroid. So I've had a journey of regulating my meds & changing my diet. Have been maintaining my wt. loss (43 lbs) for the year, trying to add calories & improve my metabolism. Recently (last month) discovered that my diet has evolved to Primal, just had to drop my oat bran... and add some dairy & fruit. I'd really like to be able to add more carbs, but am kind of scared of them.
Anyway, that's the condensed version... I do have a blog, the beginning goes into more detail.
So happy to find other maintainers!

Old 10-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Just stopping in to touch base with other maintainers. I'm new at it, having reaching what I considered my goal weight in September. I weigh every day and take an average once a week. This week was the first time since February that my weekly average went UP a little. Now, that's a good thing. You aren't maintaining if you go down every week. But managing the anxiety that goes along with that, and the "carb fear" that goes along with very slow and careful movement from below 30 a day to closer to 40, and after that ?, well, that's what I'm learning to do now. But I feel really good. I've increased my exercise a little along with my food intake, probably because I'm scared of gaining, but also because it really helps me keep my head straight to get out there and walk, and jog a little bit, and work the muscles.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for you Martha!
Easy does it is a good plan. I've switched to Primal for now. It seems to be helping me to up my cals a little... all a process.