Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
Hi Auntie Em,

I was just thinking that I hadn't seen your posts in a long time. I'm happy to see you are well and enjoying life.
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #153
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
All well here and yes, the spring has sprung.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Ron, thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm glad you are doing well.

Cindy, it's always lovely to see your posts. Hope you have beautiful things blooming all round.

Best wishes to all for healthy, happy days.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

How are you all enjoying the summer?

I experimented with eating fat ratios according to Dr. Kwasniewski this winter and spring, and only gained weight, ha ha. Am back to my usual, more spartan plan, following Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations more closely, and enjoying it very much. Perhaps those Dr. K ratios work better for folks of Polish heritage. I have to chuckle at my experiments sometimes. Oh well, am back to eating my regular carnivorous fare and a few plants, in little-old-lady portions.

Sending you all best wishes.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-31-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Hope everyone is doing very well.

I started a support thread for those seriously carnivorous, in case anyone is interested.

Best wishes to all.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlowMovingWoman
WOE: Lower carbs, smarter carbs & watch how much I eat
Start Date: Have lost 19 pounds from my highest weight
I would like to know if any of you eat allot of beef. Say at least once a day. If so,
how has it effected your blood work results? SMW
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #158
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
We eat a lot of beef, pork, sausage, bacon and the fat that flavors them. There isn't one thing wrong with natural fats.

Both of us have HDL levels in the mid 140's and triglycerides in the low 40's.
Our doctors are thrilled.

Oh and we use a lot of real butter on our sprouted flax toast and on vegetables.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
lol - for the most part I am a maintainer... and don't want to be. I want losses. Could not resist

Got the age part right though.
capricapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Capri, better than gaining!!
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Hi, I agree I maintained at around 140 for 2 years and I did get tired of it, but it sure was better than gaining everything back and then some, which seems to be what happens if I don't stay on plan pretty much all the time. Maintenance is a challenge on its own and I think it's so valuable to accomplish staying where we are for a while, especially if we never could do that before.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
Capri, better than gaining!!
That is SO true!!!!

At least with a S.L.O.W loss - there will no rebound and it teaches us what works and does not work. I just know when I get to goal weight (again.) I'm never letting myself get above a three lb buffer. I have learned a lot about health this go around. Low carb theory and fat fasts and all that. I was at 140ish approx nine years ago - closed my eyes to it - and bam... back in ughland. I've walked this path before - just lost weight after a big health thing. So I guess did not appreciate the loss as it did not involve hard work.

I have to say - having comfy clothes for around the house does not help either. If people had to wear business wear or tight jeans - they would be aware (even without a scale) when things were getting out of hand.

Last edited by capricapers; 05-18-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
Hi, I agree I maintained at around 140 for 2 years and I did get tired of it, but it sure was better than gaining everything back and then some, which seems to be what happens if I don't stay on plan pretty much all the time. Maintenance is a challenge on its own and I think it's so valuable to accomplish staying where we are for a while, especially if we never could do that before.
Very well said, it IS a process done the right way. Heck, we did not gain overnight. Although most can put on three lbs easier than take off three lbs overnight - so not fair. In any event - slow is best for the heart and all that too. I'd just love say a solid .5 lbs every third day. That kind of thing spurs me ON!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

There is a mental shift that has to take place for me to get into weight loss mode. Maintenance is easier as I dont think I have to make that shift. If I stay on moderate carbs w/ portion control its pretty easy. Have to watch those trigger foods though.

I was able to lose weight & keep it off (some of the time) during my twenties w/ portion & calorie control. I would put on about 10 lbs or so when I slacked off, lose it again & so it went. Moderate carb has allowed me to keep it off for more than 2 years now. I am however past my buffer by 2 lbs or so.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

"There is a mental shift that has to take place for me to get into weight loss mode."

Isn't that very true Heidinem? For me too. I knew I had to get healthier these past years - and I felt that the day would dawn when I would be ready to start - and start I did. It may be like any thing else be it alcohol or whatever - the person themselves knows when enough is enough. Well, hopefully they do.

"Have to watch those trigger foods though." I never knew sugar was such a universal trigger food. I always thought it was just me. Glad to have learned that is not the case. Having just a little sugar always whetted my appetite for real food - hungry or not.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #166
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: redbelair
Back on the Dreamfields kick again...

Hello-
On maintenance for 2-3 years and have gained some stomach back! Ugh.
However, soon I will go through phase I again for a few weeks and deal with the 10 pounds or so. There is no other way for me as I have so little will power that I indulge in reduced carb foods but eat a lot of it-like peanuts and breyers low carb ice cream.

The Dreamfields thing has always posed an issue for me. Investigation seems to say their pasta is 'coated' with a substance that prevents or helps to prevent digestion and that is how the 'miracle' effective carb count is kept low. According to the pee strips it works, but, at what cost?

If I understood the idea properly we are ingesting a completely man-made substance and it supposedly passes right through us like magic!! Maybe soon, one leg will start to shorten or the like!

Also, why not add this coating substance to other foods that I like and cannot eat? maybe Potatoes or ??

I have gotten a pretty broad range of other stuff to low carb with and if the Dreamfields proves 'hoaxy' I will be hurting. The increased load of mainstream low carb bread has helped a lot.

My wife gave me a juicer for the latest birthday and it allows me to prepare vegetable and fruit juices for the kids--and a little for me. I am assuming this juice is carb-toxic so I only grab a couple of tablespoons or so.
The pulp left behind is such a waste as it is very fresh and good and would make a good basis for many dishes but I have not a clue of carb content.

Life is good-blood levels are fine and so is BP-Dr Atkins was right on target!
Thanks to him.
Joe
redbelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Regained weight seems to go to the belly for me too. I have 3-4 lbs sitting there.

I have stayed away from pasta of all kinds since I have blood sugar issues. I might eat too much of the Dreamfields & it would probably turn into a trigger food. I dont want full blown diabetes if I can prevent it.

I do use xylitol & erythritol in baked goods on occasion. They too are trigger foods, I have to be mindful when I get near them. I told myself I will only bake when I am at goal weight. Surprisingly I turn into a shark near guacamole also .
Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbelair View Post
Hello-
The Dreamfields thing has always posed an issue for me. Investigation seems to say their pasta is 'coated' with a substance that prevents or helps to prevent digestion and that is how the 'miracle' effective carb count is kept low. According to the pee strips it works, but, at what cost?

If I understood the idea properly we are ingesting a completely man-made substance and it supposedly passes right through us like magic!! Maybe soon, one leg will start to shorten or the like!

Also, why not add this coating substance to other foods that I like and cannot eat? maybe Potatoes or ??

I have gotten a pretty broad range of other stuff to low carb with and if the Dreamfields proves 'hoaxy' I will be hurting. The increased load of mainstream low carb bread has helped a lot.

Life is good-blood levels are fine and so is BP-Dr Atkins was right on target!
Thanks to him.
Joe
It is interesting about Dreamfields. I just read an article yesterday by someone who tested their BG after eating Dreamfields and it made a huge impact on his BG numbers--they were quite high. You are so lucky that your system can handle it without any upswings.

I love my low carb baked goodies and keep them in the freezer which helps a lot. One thing that helps is how filling they are! I am unable to consume more than two of my homemade low carb chocolate chip cookies with a glass of almond milk. When DH is traveling, that will be my dinner on occasion, and it feels so indulgent. I would have never done that before LC!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/154.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Turning 55 in July and can't seem to get away from the 150 pound mark that I see on the scale each day! I need some advice! My main problem is night time snacking on nuts and pork rinds - I'm not hungry at all - I just want to chew on something ! If I could make myself go to bed before 11 pm I know it would help, but it never seems to happen ! Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, hi! Finding the right proportions of PRO: FAT: CHO was key for me, and staying away from foods that were triggers for eating when not hungry.

Dr. Richard MacKarness explains much about the ratios, in his book, Eat Fat and Grow Slim. I follow his recommendation of ca. 20% PRO and 80% FAT according to total calories. That works out to eating one ounce of animal fat for every three ounces of meat/egg/fish.

I posted this recently in a thread about eating Meat-and-Eggs, quoting from. Dr. Mackarness' book:

chapter 3. It is in his summary of a section of the report which Drs. McClellan and Dubois wrote after the famous Bellevue trial:

He derived, by choice, about 80% of his energy needs from fat and 20% from protein. These proportions are close to those derived by a person from his own tissues during prolonged fasting. The instinctive choice of about 80 % of the calories from fat seems to be based on selection by the metabolic processes of the body. It was found that with carbohydrate restricted in the diet, the appetite for fat greatly increased. The body adapted itself to a greater use of fat for energy when this substance was supplied in increased amounts.

These ratios are similar to what Dr. Jan Kwasnieski recommends in his Optimal Diet, and Barry Groves' recommendations.

Both Dr. Richard Mackarness, and Dr. Blake Donaldson before him, discuss these ratios in their books. Some anthropological history on those ratios is given in The Fat of the Land, by Vilhjalmur Stefansson.

There is a link to Dr. Donaldson's book, Strong Medicine, online, in this thread, and a review of his book.

And links to two different editions of Dr. Mackarness' book, Eat Fat and Grow Slim, in this thread.

We each have different needs and preferences, so I can't say if these ratios would suit anyone else as nicely as they have me. I have found that eating ca. 80% FAT and 20% PRO to be restful and they best way for me to control my weight. I find that staying in the low-20s, in grams of CHO, makes it easy to feel well and not have those effects which come from too many carbs. I'm very grateful to have found some of the writings of the LC pioneers. The writings of Drs. Pennington, Kekwick, and Gawan have been most helpful and inspiring as well. And the Stefanssons, of course.

I don't eat pre-made foods, things that come in packages, with chemicals and additives, etc., except for hwc with the carrageenan and preservatives, and beef bacon.

I eat no grains, legumes, sweet fruits (I eat cucumbers, the odd lemon or olive....), or foods which cause allergy symptoms, such as nightshades, FODMAPs, or things high on oxalates, goitrogens, salicylates, etc.

I follow Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations for CHO and PRO, and amounts at meals. His "Law of Small Numbers" is of tremendous help to me. I posted an excerpt on that in this thread.

Also, supplements are a help to me. I take Chromium GTF, L-Glutamine, Magnesium, CLO, Vit. D, etc., the usual LC supplements to help with brain function, glucose utilization, insulin sensitivity, satiety, reducing carb cravings, etc.

And: good sleep/rest and exercise habits, lots of water and sunshine, yoga, meditation/prayer.

For me, LC is one piece of putting together a large puzzle of a nourishing lifestyle.

Hope this helps. I wish you success!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-03-2012 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: typing error
Old 06-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/154.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Thanks Auntie Em! The info you have posted is very interesting! I'm going to look into reading more from the authors you have mentioned. There is so much knowledge to be gained from so many resources ! Thanks again!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, thanks for your kind post. I wish you much success. The ratio of ca. three ounces of meat and one ounce of animal fat works well for me. I am thankful that some of the early writings of LC doctors have been posted on the internet. If you'd like a couple more references from those early doctors, I have more.

I also do some of those usual external "helps" to not eat after I've finished my alloted portions, such as: finishing the meal with marinated veggies, or marinated veggies in a small amount of yoghurt, or eating fresh peppermint, parsley or other strong herb, and also brushing my teeth immediately after a meal.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post

I also do some of those usual external "helps" to not eat after I've finished my allotted portions, such as: finishing the meal with marinated veggies, or marinated veggies in a small amount of yoghurt, or eating fresh peppermint, parsley or other strong herb, and also brushing my teeth immediately after a meal.

Auntie Em, I can't tell you how much I wish I had your self-discipline!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Shirl. I don't know that I am so disciplined. I just feel "crummy" when I don't keep my food plan. That keeps me motivated. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Hope you are doing splendidly.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Has anyone kept track of food intake over the last few years, to know if you need less food, with each successive year?

I have read various things, without good references, regarding calorie needs and aging. None of what I have been able to find has been based on LC, or VLC.

One of the things I read stated that one needs 50 fewer calories per day, with each passing year. Am wondering if anyone has noticed this? If so, could you give a report?

Thanks very much.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
I haven't documented any thing, but I certainly eat (and need) less food than I did a year or two ago. I just assumed it was because of the lack of carbs in my diet. As far as aging, I am far more active than I have been in years because of my recent marriage. We dance every night (since Nov. '11 with no misses) and generally are on the go a lot, yet I still eat less. I suppose the 50 calorie a day figure is just a generalization assuming less activity as one ages.
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Ron, thanks for your report on amounts of food. If I find any reliable studies, I'll post the information. You and your wife must hold a record for dancing.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Ron, thanks for your report on amounts of food. If I find any reliable studies, I'll post the information. You and your wife must hold a record for dancing.
That would be great, Auntie Em, if you find anything and can post it. As you said earlier, it is tricky as it probably would not relate to low carb.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, TBipp. Yes, that is the challenge. The only things I've found are for folks eating the SAD.

If you run across anything relevant, could you post it?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #180
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: redbelair
Interesting article

Probably not directly relevant but a great article and if you get a chance to read it, please take a look at all the replies..addresses thoughts about carbs and fat and the like.
I am still maintaining after all these years...5 or 6 and have only put back about 10-12 pounds---of course you know where!
I am still mystified about the Dreamfields mumbo jumbo but I just enjoy it! Hard to think about eating 'coated' substances that are engineered to pass right on.....Without it, things might be a bit different...now if they only did the same for popcorn...
Thanks for listening.
Joe

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...sclerosis.html

Last edited by redbelair; 08-02-2012 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Forgot URL Of Article..it is now at the end...Oops!
redbelair is offline   Reply With Quote