Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ontopofmygame
I would like to post on this thread, I am 51 years young. Is that okay?
ontopofmygame is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
AWD, of course it's okay! Welcome! It's nice to have another maintainer here.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
I'm 64 and have been LC since 2000.

I lost 50 pounds (40 the first year) and this year put on 10. Couldn't figure out why, so I eliminated all wheat - it was the first thing I tried because the store was out of my LC Bread and Peanuts (with traces of wheat) and I lost the 10 pounds plus another 5, so I'm down 55 pounds now.

I am healthy, my blood pressure and blood tests are good, and I'm a very happy person. I'm a musician, and I am in a duo with my musician wife. We could be together 24/7 and it's not enough for us. I love my wife, I love my job, and I love my life.

My diet is my own combination of low-carb, reduced caloric intake, ketogenic, and low glycemic.

Most days I eat a small breakfast, a "carb bar" or some LC-millet toast and a dozen raw almonds. One cup of green tea and one of black.

More tea through the day, decaf, green, black and oolong plus lots and lots of pure water.

Lunch is usually a small serving of protein (grass fed burger, chicken, skinny spaghetti & cheese, lunchmeat, egg whites, etc.), sometimes with a low-carb millet lavash (flatbread), plus a salad with lettuce, carrots, raw peas, a few pistachio nuts, and some cheese with vinegar and organic olive oil for dressing.

Snack is a piece of sugar-free chocolate.

Meal 3 is usually a whey shake with some flavoring (shredded coconut, or extracts), psyllium hulls (adds fiber) and some LC ice cream (Bryers Carb Smart is good).

I take multi-vitamin and mineral supplements.

Some notes:

I haven't had a cold in 10 years or so - no other illnesses except for an allergy I've had since I was a kid.

My eye doctor says my retinas look 20 years younger than my age, which is a good sign of my internal body age - so inside I'm only 44 years old.

LC is obviously healthy.

I don't consider it maintaining anymore, just a healthy way to eat.

Oh, and you asked about exercise. I get exercise when I work moving the heavy PA System, speakers and instruments and playing music is physically strenuous (actually athletic). On non-gig days I walk on a NordicTrak elliptical trainer for a half hour keeping my pulse up around 130-140. That's about it, but it seems to be enough for me.

Bob

Last edited by Bobby_Boomer; 12-29-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Bobby, welcome. It's lovely to read your post of how well LC works for you. What a blessing that you and your wife are devoted in your work together.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Thanks Antie Em.

I can't imagine a luckier person than myself.

Bob
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #96
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: Hi-290/268/Current-254/175
WOE: LC-ish, LoCal
Start Date: Restart 10/20/14
Nice thread. Do any of you incorporate fruit into your maintenance plans?
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, Heidi. I like your signature line.

I use lemon juice occasionally and olives. In the summer, I eat a few berries and have cucumbers. I don't know if I will always keep to these minimal-sugar fruits, but I do find that keeping to Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations makes for a very stable, calm WOE. Limes are also allowed, but I haven't used them recently. Barry Groves has a nice chart of fruits, and the portions which give 10g of carbohydrates, if that should be of use. The fruit we get at the stores has been bred to have very high sugar content. If I grew my own fruit, I might test it, and see if it would do. For now, I am staying with Dr. Bernstein's list.

I also keep to fewer than 20g of CHO per day.

It's nice to have you post here. All the best to you.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-05-2011 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: typing error
Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #98

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Useful link Em, although one knows it already it is good to read a 'new page' sometimes, just to focus the mind. Thanks.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy, I like seeing things I know presented in a new way, too. I like Barry Groves' charts.

I also liked Tom Naughton's lecture, the "Big Fat Fiasco", for that reason. I don't know if his style of humor is universally appealing, but his explanations are very easy to understand. I enjoyed it and can highly recommend it.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #100

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
Hi Heidi, been a long time .

Yes, we incorporate berries and some cantaloupe into our maintenance plans. On Rare occasion, I'll make sugar free apple sauce using those nice, tart Granny Smith Apples.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #101

@ Heidihoopi, sorry I forgot to answer you query.

I use berries quite a bit and that is about all. I was served a poached pear over Christmas at a friend's home and I ate and enjoyed it. I find that on occasion I can do these things out of courtesy, without throwing everything. However, I would never think of preparing something like this at home or ordering it at a restaurant.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #102

Thanks so much for the answers to my question and for the links, very helpful and interesting. Em, dh and I have both read Bernstein's book, dh is a diabetic 2. Unfortunately he is not interested in controlling it by diet.

Hi Love.

I'm not actually near maintenance yet , but I am tired of "dieting" and continually yo-yo-ing and I had this light bulb moment the other day--Instead of 'dieting' I should just be eating how I will when I reach goal and to continue to maintain. It will probably be a slow road to goal, but when I get there, I will already know how to maintain. Seems like a no brainer now that I think of it. So that's why the questions of you successful maintainers! I'm kind of disappointed that it's necessary to limit fruit so strictly to maintain though....

Hope you don't mind if I continue to lurk and glean what I can from your success.

Last edited by heidihoopi; 01-06-2011 at 01:39 AM..
Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Heidi. Your plan makes great sense to me. Yes, the fruit is a bit of a challenge sometimes for me, too. I keep, albeit a bit loosely, the premise of "Just for Now" on the fruit avoidance. I like Kissa's framework of having it once in a great while.

I remember as a child, that fresh fruit was a special treat we had once in a great while. A pear was something marvelous, and to get an orange in a Christmas stocking was special each year. I occasionally saw an elderly person peel an apple, and most would eat half of it, or less, giving the children each a slice. There were sometimes two stewed prunes, and sometimes a half of a canned pear with cottage cheese, or a small bowl of three or four peach slices, but not often at all. Strawberries a couple of times in the summer. Makes sense to me, thinking of how our prehistoric ancestors did not have fruit available all year, or in large amounts even in harvest times. The research now about what we are genetically adapted to eat is fascinating to read.

When I went low carb, I just went back to much of the food I remembered from childhood, sans the sweets and starches. I thought about the food my grandparents ate, and others of their age, and older. It's a nice connection for me with my WOE. (I've occasionally told others that I'm on a 1950s diet, as in those days, leaving out the sweets and starches was the common method of dieting of those I knew.)

I'm sorry your DH has diabetes. I know several who don't wish to change what they eat, and in their cases, it means taking pills or insulin shots.

It's nice to have you posting here. I wish you a very lovely day.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-06-2011 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #104

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Oh Heidi, so sorry your DH isn't interessted in controling his Diabetes with diet. It is a difficult decision to give up things you love.

Wishing you the very best... I lurk more than post because over the years, I've said all I can about this WOE.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #105
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi Heidi-
I think yours is a good plan. I started to 'maintain' when I was about 10lbs away from my target weight--and I discovered that maintaining is no walk in the park! It comes with its own set of challenges, and I'm glad I'm dealing with those challenges early. It's also helpful to just maintain for a while (and get the hang of it) and then drop to a lower weight if that's what you want to do.

It's too bad that your husband doesn't want to control his diabetes with diet. I'm not diabetic, but I'm trying to keep it at bay with my WOE! I have three siblings and all have developed type 2 diabetes. I'm the oldest, and I try to eat much as Dr. Bernstein recommends. I love fruit, but I rarely have any at all because, as I've heard it described, it's just 'sugar from a tree.'
I aim to keep my carbs at 20-30g a day, and I really don't want to waste any on fruit when I can get better nutrition from veggies for those carbs.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #106
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
I eat apples and when I do, I always have a better handle on things.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #107

Thank you all so much for your responses. Sounds like some/most of you are still doing induction almost? ie, mostly protein and vegetables? Good thing I love veggies! Anybody using 'the low carb products' or dreamfields pasta type stuff? I never really have, I stick to real food. Has anyone been able to maintain and eat something they didn't think they would? Like a piece of bread a day or say popcorn? I seem to do ok eating popcorn as a treat occasionally, go figure.

I have successfully kept diabetes at bay too, was in the low 100's (pre-diabetic) but last test result was 83. I was surprised but obviously happy about that! Dh started insulin shots this year. In the past he was on board with Atkins pretty much. (I/we started low carbing in 2000), but he just doesn't want to deprive himself of so much or put in the effort to do so. Says he wants to just enjoy life while he's here. And since it's him that brings most of the 'treats/carbs' into the house, I can't control that. And it's very hard for me not to reach for the bread, etc when it's in the house. So this is going to be a struggle, but I am determined to do it for my health.

Now they have me on a statin and I don't like that because of what I've heard about them, and being on Atkins all these years I don't necessarily agree with the cholesterol is harmful theories, but heart attacks run in the family so.....

Em, about the 'old day's', that certainly was true, fruit was not an everyday thing.
Leo, I understand and your thinking is sound. I was just thinking for me, it would be better to reach for a fruit than the totally empty/non-nutritious white or sugary stuff ya know?

Jonah's granny--Interesting, how often to you eat an apple?

Thanks all, and have a good day.

Last edited by heidihoopi; 01-06-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #108
Senior LCF member

Heidi-

By saying I don't eat fruit, I wasn't judging you or anyone else! You had asked if we eat fruit.

As to your question on the last post about Dreamfields and eating bread, I have to admit that I don't do any of those things. My WOE is mainly fish, meat, eggs (egg whites) and veggies (which I sometimes make into homemade soup).

I do eat nuts and almond butter, but I try not to indulge daily. They are 'treats.'

I actually enjoy eating this way and feel great doing so. And since I live alone, I don't have to deal with someone else bringing other food into the house. (For example, most things don't tempt me, but if there was ice cream in the freezer, it would call my name )

Periodically, however, I will go out for some occasion and have a full restaurant meal, including bread and dessert. But that's perhaps 2 or 3 times a year at most. At other social occasions, I actually enjoy trying to fit my WOE into what's served--and I can usually manage it easily.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #109

Leo, no worries, I didn't think you were judging at all. Dh loves fruit and buys it regularly and there it sits on the counter. I'm not much of a fruit eater at all really, I was just musing on it being a better choice given the 2 'evils' , lol. Slice or toast or a cookie vs an orange type of situation. I just wish I could be as strong as you are, I'm still in the process of figuring out what will actually work for me. Yes, ice cream screams my name too!

I haven't tried almond butter, do you use that in place of regular butter? Is it less caloric, or do you just like it? How about cheese and heavy cream? Luurve my cream in my coffee! Do most of you still use the cream or have you switched to half and half or even gone black? Has anyone managed to incorporate oatmeal or cereal into maintenance? Do you take daily supplements and if so would you mind listing them? (I have troubles with leg cramps occasionally even while on a big dose of potassium) How long have you been maintaining?

Hope you don't mind all the questions! I'd appreciate replies on these things from anyone who has the time to answer, I didn't mean to just 'pile up' on Leo!

Leo, Thank you so much for sharing your basic food plan and strategies with me, that helps a lot. I am in awe, what a great job of maintaining you are doing! Kudos! I hope to be there too one day soon.

~

Last edited by heidihoopi; 01-06-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Old 01-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Heidi, you might find it helpful to read many of the other threads here in the Maintenance forum. Many of the questions you ask have been asked and answered a number of times.

What fits one person may not be at all appropriate, and, in fact, dangerous, for someone else.

Your genetic heritage, your metabolism, your health challenges and history, your family medical and diet history, your blood sugar, insulin and leptin levels, whether or not you are allergic to casein, lactose, amines, gluten, salicylates, goitrogens, amines, and a great host of other things which can be problematic, are all determinants in what a useful food plan is.

"Induction" is a term used in the Atkins plan, not in other plans.

I wish you happy success in your research and in choosing a food plan which works well for you.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I would like to join in this thread. I'm 64 yo and recently lost 10+ lbs. I have changed my goal to a little lower than it was (130 down to 128). For this month, I decided I just want to maintain the weight that I have come down to. I plan to read all of this thread...a little at a time and I'm looking forward to it!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #112

Good to see you Shirl.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Good to see you Shirl.
Wow, we're the same weight...and look at your stats!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #114
Senior LCF member

Heidi- Almond butter is a substitute for peanut butter. I got interested in "primal" eating, and they argue that peanuts (as a legume, not a nut) is not good for a person, so they advocate almond butter instead. I'm not sure about the peanut issue, but I switched to almond butter and really like it (although PB is so much cheaper!).

I don't eat any dairy. The reason is that I just experimented to see if it was a problem for me, and I discovered that I felt much better without it. When I introduced a little hard cheese twice, I got heartburn both times, so that's why I decided I was better off without it--though I love cheese!

This isn't a hard and fast rule. Just yesterday I was out for breakfast and had an omelet that contained a little cheddar cheese, but, as a rule, I don't eat dairy. My criteria in what I choose to eat is basically how I feel with or without that food.

For both grains and dairy, I did an 'elimination diet'--which is to eliminate the food entirely for at least a month and then try it to see if there's any reaction. I had a rather violent GI reaction to eating bread, and the hearburn I mentioned with the cheese--which is why I generally avoid both.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Shirl, welcome. It's nice to see another maintainer here. Best wishes to you.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #116

Thanks Leo!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #117

Yes, Shirl but you are taller than me!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy, your photo is marvelous. Is that a beam of light shining from the top of your head?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #119

LOL, it is a pillar outside the church. There are some black and pink flowers in my hair. I am holding my first daughter at a a friend's wedding. I just thought it was so wonderfully "of its time".
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

I think it's a grand photo. I like the hairstyles and clothes from then, too. Thanks for the explanation of the light. I think I need to wear different glasses when at the computer.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-10-2011 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: typing error