Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Shunammite, how nice to have you post here. I learn a lot from those who have been maintaining at their ideal weight, or working at losing weight, for years. I smiled at your finding the exercise video while looking for something for your mother. I was looking for something for my mother, too, and found Angela Lansbury's "Positive Moves". It was too much for my mother, but it became my favorite exercise video. When I was heavy, it was a good workout. I still incorporate some of the movements in my routine, because they are such comforting exercises. She is so inspiring and kind, like having a dear aunt explaining how she stays fit. She made the video when she was in her mid-60s.

Your fifteen minutes might be doing a whole lot more than we might think. I find daily exercise of any kind builds a great deal. Your routine could be strengthening your health in many ways, which makes it easier to be slim.

I had my highest weight in my early forties, too. I gained fifty pounds in perhaps two years or less, and one day I woke up and lost it over the next several months. Maintained that loss for over nine years and this year when I noticed I was gaining again, something clicked and I knew I was ready to be really slender again, for good, and I lost the fifteen I'd gained and another ten. Am pleased to have done that, but would like to shed another five or six. It's just not a quick progress now. And my first priority is being healthy and getting stronger, rather than drastically cutting calories as I did when I was young. I know I can keep doing what I'm doing now, rather than "crash dieting" and then gaining.

All the best to you.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 08-25-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Welcome Newcomers.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

If you all don't mind another question, how do you balance exercise, rest, your health and figure, and getting older?

I exercise because I enjoy the benefits of being more limber, feeling less creaky and stiff, and I'm sure it helps circulation, oxygenation, cellular health, insulin sensitivity, metabolism, body composition, muscle/skin/organ tone, and all those good things. I like the poise, balance, and strength it brings, too.

Even with all that, sometimes I just need a day of a little stroll, a bit of quiet rebounding, a few stretches, maybe a bit more, and some lying down to rest, without pushing myself to do what is more strenuous, albeit, enjoyable and rewarding effort.

How is your exercise pacing and balance? Or anything else you find relevant?

Thanks very much.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katryn
Stats: ~130/126/114
WOE: Mod carbs, Ray Peat, gluten free, nightshade free
Start Date: January 1995
Hello. I just joined this site and was interested in the paleo thread and saw Auntie Em's post there which led me here. I'm glad to see people keeping this current. Started at the beginning page but then skipped to this one.

I am in maintenance too. I do floor exercises, some yoga and stretches every morning for an hour. Part of that includes hand weights 3 days and ankle weights 3 other days. One day off from weights. Later, I do a walk or treadmill or stationary bicycle for 55 minutes. Sometimes, almost usually, I take Sunday off from the second part. (Walking).

I have fibromyalgia (FMS) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) probably brought on by childhood polio and a high carb diet. I started my exercise program very slowly 5 years ago and got to doing it every day 3 years ago. I mostly build up reps rather than intensity to avoid injury with the fibro.

I have been gluten free for about 10 years. About 5 years ago, when travelling, I ran out of my GF bread. So, went without and felt better. Now I am grain free except for slips. I tend toward a paleo or caveman diet but still use cream and cheese. I haven't gone for it completely if you know what I mean.

I am amazed at the difference the daily exercise has made in my strength, and I find being smaller is easier for getting around. Yes, I am more limber and it continues to astonish me. I work hard at my exercise but this and my diet have helped me to live much better with my duo of FMS and CFS. (I was bedridden ~15 years ago for 2 years.)
Katryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Katryn, welcome! How nice to have you post here. I don't have words to respond well to your post. Nothing seems to fit the magnitude of what you have found for yourself. What a beautiful testimony of healing.

I'm experimenting with making Sundays more restful, and find it helpful.

I, too, increase repetitions rather than intensity. If you don't mind the question, do you stay ketogenic or eat enough carbs to hover around the edges of ketosis, or stay out of ketosis altogether?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #66
Big Yapper!!!!

Just walking everyday really helps me. It makes such a big difference. I,too, enjoy the flexibility and being limber. I truly believe I can get around as good as most any young person. I've been blessed. I feel so sorry for people who are very overweight for that reason. It seems like most of them have difficulty getting around.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

JG, I really enjoy being limber, too. I was thinking today, during my walk, how much taking my walks means to me. The twilight and sunrise were quite lovely this morning. I was up earlier than usual, and had already watered the plants and done my exercise routine, so the walk was like a holiday.

From your posts, it sounds as though you do move very well. That is really a blessing. Do you walk early in the day?

There are a few of us, "regulars", in the neighborhood before sunrise here. I see others at various places around the neighborhood. The current early birds all seem to walk at about the same place. Some like to walk mid-morning and some in that crowd are as quick as joggers, and then there are the after-dinner walkers, who are the most numerous, and the most varied.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 09-22-2010 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: added a thought
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Many times at a Super Walmart at 6:00 a.m. They know me well.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

What do you all find key in tending your maintenance?

I've been thinking about Rick's humorous post regarding telling oneself "You can have it tomorrow, if you really want it.", knowing full well that abstinence is vital.

I've been drinking me tea black most of the time, and saving my HWC for really enjoying it. I drink less tea, notice more how it effects me, and can "spend" my HWC calories in a special way.

I enjoy the balance, sometimes more abstinent, sometimes a tad indulgent, often going along the middle, but always aware that the parameter of deliberate choice is necessary.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 10-24-2010 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: corrected word
Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #70
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
"I've been thinking about Rick's humorous post regarding telling oneself "You can have it tomorrow, if you really want it.", knowing full well that abstinence is vital."

Just an interesting comment on this--

I follow JUDDD, which is a calorie cycling plan, and our low calorie days are
<500, as a rule, although they get higher in maintenance.

In dealing with hunger, we've all learned that saying, "I'll have it tomorrow" will actually banish the hunger--so 'mental' is all this. That is, the body often doesn't need food but we want to eat for some type of satisfaction.

We've also found that not only do we not want 'it' anymore the next day, we can actually go to sleep hungry but not be hungry the next morning at all. The theory is that while we sleep if the body actually needs food, it will tap into our fat stores, but very likely there's no need for food. Our 'hunger' is all in our head.

Since I have to restrict calories, even in maintenance, I continue to follow JUDDD principles, but even for those who don't, you might be interested in our 'techniques.'
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Really useful stuff Leo. I sort of do that all the time. "I can have it later..." Mostly I don't, occasionally I do.

So much of 'hunger' is in our heads, not our stomachs.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you all are doing well. I cleaned up my food plan again, and am enjoying feeling better. I chuckle sometimes at reading about others adding things in, as I find I take things out as I go along. Maybe it's part of getting older, similar to giving things away instead of accumulating more.

Sending you all good thoughts.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #73
Senior LCF member

I'm the same as you, Em, I'm more dropping things than adding anything in.

In the last year, I've gone more 'primal' (but still low carb) and eliminated grains and dairy. And I've never felt better!

For Thanksgiving, we went out to dinner, and I just ate the (delicious) restaurant meal, including some grains. I didn't get any cravings or anything like that, but that's been my experience with JUDDD. An occasional "dietary indiscretion" isn't fatal as it used to be when I was only low carbing. In fact, the day after, my body didn't want any food at all, and I had only black coffee and tea.

So knowing I can choose to 'spurge' if I want to actually has reduced my inclination to splurge at all, since the 'forbidden fruits' are only truly delicious in my imagination
Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Leo41, I've found that, too. Giving myself permission to choose to eat something extra, when I really want to, takes away the attitude of feeling deprived. Knowing I can choose to "splurge" really does reduce the inclination to indulge. And, I, too, find that those "forbidden foods" are only really delicious in my imagination.

I so appreciate your posts. They are heartwarming and encouraging.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-01-2010 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: added something
Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #75

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I'm the same as you, Em, I'm more dropping things than adding anything in.

In the last year, I've gone more 'primal' (but still low carb) and eliminated grains and dairy. And I've never felt better!

For Thanksgiving, we went out to dinner, and I just ate the (delicious) restaurant meal, including some grains. I didn't get any cravings or anything like that, but that's been my experience with JUDDD. An occasional "dietary indiscretion" isn't fatal as it used to be when I was only low carbing. In fact, the day after, my body didn't want any food at all, and I had only black coffee and tea.

So knowing I can choose to 'spurge' if I want to actually has reduced my inclination to splurge at all, since the 'forbidden fruits' are only truly delicious in my imagination
Thank you Leo.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: redbelair
Over 55....at least!

Hi
Nice thread idea!
I have been in maintenance for 4 or 5 months and have stayed at or below my goal weight.
I have begun a light exercise plan--shoulder and elbow issues have put limitations on me) using this Ab_lounge thing, which I know is not the best, but it makes it bearable at the once a day routine.

Losing the weight was the easy part--if I only could direct the body as to where to remove the weight from....

I moved from about 211 to 175 or a little less and I am now comfortable. Size 36 pants are just comfortably snug and that is pretty much OK.

I am up around 35-40 carbs per day now and I seem to be able to maintain at that level.
Here are some of the things I do...without potatoes or rice...

The issues I have are how to continually increase the daily carb count without losing control-the easiest for me is to abstain. I mean really, a cup of popcorn....

Peanuts--the red skin variety--and almonds have helped there. I really found a keeper in the Almond Milk--a couple of different varieties that have 2 carbs per 8 oz glass and include 1 carb of fiber. This, combined with the lower card Kellogg Special K add up to a 10 carb breakfast which is a nice switch from either nothing or eggs. The milk is actually good tasting and it works for me.
I also found the 5 carb per slice of Arnolds bread to be pretty much OK. That sure helps in the sandwich department.
Like all of us, I continue to read the labels, noting Total Carb Count, then subtracting the fiber for a net count and it seems to be fine. I have been eating the Dreamfields Pasta which neither my wife or I can tell the difference. However, this stuff nets out at 36 Carbs per 1/2 cup, which knocks the heck out of my daily count! Their advertising gimmick that shows the large 5G of digestble carbs per serving is where I lose my understanding. I suppose I am wrong as a lot of low carbers swear by it, but, reading the labels consistently shows that the 36 is on target.
Does anyone have any better insight to this?

Another keeper is the Breyers Low Carb Ice Cream--it is really good tasting for me(at least the Vanilla anyway--the Chocolate is tolerable as an alternative). It has become the mainstay that popcorn used to be!

The cup of warm Green Tea has helped the sleeping issues as has the fiber capsules helped avoid bathroom issues.

Thanks for allowing me to post and I look forward to reading and listening to comments on what I have posted.

It isn't as bad as a lot of diets and it really works! My doctor told me that he doesn't care How weight is lost, as long as it is.....

...of course I had a tablespoon of Turkey Gravy along with a fork-full of mashed potates!!

Again, Thanks
Joe
redbelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #77

Hi Joe it sounds to me as if you are making this work for you and that is the whole point. We want those 4 or 5 months to stretch into the rest of you life.

I am unable to comment on specific brands as they aren't available over here in the UK, no Low Carb pasta, bread or ice creams but I have learned to live quite happily without them.

Starting an exercise programme is brilliant. Go for it.

Good to see you posting here.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Cindy
I don't think 50 of those child like exercises is a real program for some, but for me it is the best I can do considering the medical things going on.

I also found the Spanish or Red Skin Peanuts have the best carb/fiber ratio and they now play a part in my diet.

If you ever see any Almond Milk please give it a try--like I said, the one unsweetened variety has one net carb. I also found a diet Blueberry drink(Ocean Spray) that also is way down on the carb count. The more variety I can find the better it is. My wife is also losing some weight as she has been supportive and considerate and eats the same meals as I do---well, not exactly, but close.

The Budweiser '55' beer is also way down on the net car list.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a substitute for popcorn or any kind of potato, especially french fries! But..

Thanks for taking the time to post a note.
Joe
Old 12-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #79

Interesting about the peanuts Joe, I would have expected them to be pretty much the same. I use unsweetened Soya milk myself, the one I use is barely 1 carb.

Glad to know you have found a beer that is LC, personally, I am slightly ashamed to admit that I drink most of my carbs, as red wine in the winter, white wine in the summer.

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Joe, congratulations on your maintenance. I'm glad you are doing so well. I don't eat the foods you posted about, as I don't eat packaged foods or peanuts, so can't make any comments on the products you mentioned.

It's nice to read of your success. Thanks for posting of it, and welcome!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Don't know

I am not sure what I would do without the salty stuff. I used to eat a lot of popcorn each night, but, unfortunately, those days are gone....
I am constantly looking for alternative foods and that is the reason for the Blueberry Juice and the like. I even tried the Diet Hot Chocolate--not too bad! I think a mainstay is the cup of warm green tea and the bottles of room temperature or cold Lipton Diet Green Tea. The daily supply of coffee, along with the other liquids seem to keep the normal 6-8 8 ounce portions of liquids pretty much on target....even during the night, unfortunately. However the hot green tea seems to have helped the getting back to sleep issues.

Anyway, I need to stop talking.

Anyone else have some special food or drink they are using to help?

Thanks for listening.
Joe
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 AM   #82

Egg mayonaise is my comfort food. Especially in this cold weather I find it just right for me, I eat it for lunch almost every day. It really staves off any hunger and then in the evening I find it easy to make wise choices of filling food to stop me snacking whilein front of my laptop or the TV.

I drink sugar free lemon/lime flavoured water all day and most evenings. I know it has Splenda in it but I have no issues with that.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Primada
Stats: 244/146 BMI=23
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2010
Glad I found this thread.

I can't wait to be one of you Over 55 Maintainers. I'm now just six pounds away from my original goal weight. I had picked that goal weight because it was the highest weight in my healthy weight range but now I'm thinking I may revise it. When I started out I never thought I would be so happy with my way of eating.

Can you successful Maintainers tell me if you revised your goal weight downward and how you found the ideal maintenance weight for you?

Thanks for sharing your strategies. They have been a great help.
Primada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
For me, setting a goal weight when I weighed 240 was a complete guess.
I checked the high BMI for a healthy weight which was 194 and my lowest adult weight of 171 (doing low fat Pritikin) when I was almost emaciated and
settled on 182. Now I just eat VLC and let my body go where it wants.

I didn't set a new goal weight because it was a long haul and I was proud of my accomplishment. My present 178 is my high school senior weight in 1962.
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #85
Senior LCF member

When I began at 300+, I didn't have any goal except to be more comfortable in my daily life. I've been 250+ my entire adult life, so I had no idea it would even be possible for me to get below 200.

When I got below 200, I recalled that at 175 (in the distant past), I had looked and felt good, and I made that my 'goal.' But when I got there, I felt that I'd be more comfortable at 165, and I started maintaining at that weight.

I now think I'd be better off in the 150s, so I'm trying to make 155 a new goal. However, I have a lot of loose skin that's adding to the number on the scale, and my doctor thinks I'm fine at 165. Sadly, I know that if I go down to 155 and think I'd feel better at the higher weight, I can put on 10 lbs very, very easily
Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/144/150
WOE: Maintaining on 60NC or less
Start Date: 7/06/07
kissa, What is Egg Mayonaise?

primada, My original goal was 160. I found when I got there that I wanted to lose at least another 10 lbs. I finally settled on maintaining between 145 & 150.
happyheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #87

Just sandwich filling really. Hardboiled eggs mixed up with mayo maybe a little mustard, salt/pepper or chilli sauce, whatever I fancy at the time. Sometimes I add chopped green onions or some chopped tomato, some people use dill but I am not fond of it. I have some the fridge most of the time. it keeps quite well.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Joe, hard boiled eggs are my go-to food. I'm allergic to the whites, so I only eat the yolks. I find them very handy. I made stacks of burgers and kept those in the fridge until I became accustomed to my WOE. With the weather being so cold, I keep jars of soup to heat up quickly. Meat or fish, animal fat of some kind, a vegetable, perhaps chives, and sometimes a beaten yolk or two, with purified water.

I save beef drippings and make "instant" broth from them, with hot water. Very comforting, and more satisfying, I find, then diluted cream.

Heavy cream, straight, or diluted, is still one of my comfort foods.

Pork rinds come in handy, once in a while.

I keep beef bacon and eggs in stock, and lots of butter.

As others have found, I, too, find eating animal fat takes care of the desire for carbs.

Keeping my carb intake at 20 grams or a bit fewer per day, works very well for me.

Regarding ideal weight. I don't know about ideal, but my goal was to get back into the clothes I wore before I gained weight, and to feel sleek and healthy. I can do my chores and exercises, wear my clothes, and go out without feeling self-conscious about being fat. I wear long johns under my clothes in the winter and enjoy having a WOE that supports getting ever healthier.

I rendered some fat a few days ago and have enjoyed making soup, among other things. I found a bu†cher who will give me fat. So, I put the crockpot to use.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-10-2010 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/144/150
WOE: Maintaining on 60NC or less
Start Date: 7/06/07
Thanks, kissa--What we Yanks call egg salad. Another example of the differences between English english & American english.
happyheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you all are having healthy holidays. I'm enjoying my WOE and not having to decide this, that, and the other, due to not having a definite food plan. It's such a relief to just eat the way I eat and not get involved in the busyness of baking and such.

Dr. Kurt Harris' post, "Smoking Candy Cigarettes", at his blog PaleoNu, has been staying in my mind these last weeks. It's calm during the holidays now, not being involved in baking sugar-free or grain-free "treats". As I think of the things I'm thankful to have read this year, related to health and low carb, this particular post stands out to me at this time.

Do you all have a particular piece of writing that shines brightly these days in your low-carb library?

Sending you best wishes for lovely holidays.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-23-2010 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: typing error