Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
LoveMontana, thanks for your posts. It's nice to have you here.

Jkaay, did you use shredded chicken or vegetables as the base of the LC pizza? I've read about folks doing that, and am thinking of trying it.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 03:58 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMontana View Post
Well over age 55 here and have been maintaining for many years following Atkins. As for exercise, I only walk daily and use light hand weights.

I certainly remember you way back when I started on these boards. I was always envious of how well you did at maintaining your little self.

What has truly been your secret?

I did not realize you had lost a child. Ive been told that is the "ultimate hurt" for a parent. I'm very sorry. I have three daughters and one is a "Laura" too.

So good to hear from you.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
I certainly remember you way back when I started on these boards. I was always envious of how well you did at maintaining your little self.

What has truly been your secret?

I did not realize you had lost a child. Ive been told that is the "ultimate hurt" for a parent. I'm very sorry. I have three daughters and one is a "Laura" too.

So good to hear from you.
Thanks for the kind words.

There is no real secret. Just stay on plan. The longer one is on it, the easier it gets.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rick-g
Stats: 402/195, 58yrs old 6'1"
WOE: low carb, TNT
Start Date: June 2004
"I had to look up what Bowflex is How did you get started? It looks fascinating. I like using weights because they can be so easily adapted to skill and strength levels. I don't have access to a gym right now, and am really enjoying what I can do at home. Would you buy this particular machine again, or something else? Could a person use free weights to get the same effect?

It's wonderful that you have a live in LC partner! Does she do Bowflex routines too?"

Hi Jkaay, I weight trained for years so a bowflex was all I needed for my routine, I would never buy a new one! Way too expensive! There are tons for sale used, mine was $3700. new, I paid $500 perfect used So many people think the answer is spending money with spending time and effort. My wife rides horses and bicycles so no she doesn't bowflex. Hope you have a good day.

Last edited by Rick-g; 07-23-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Rick-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Jkaay, did you use shredded chicken or vegetables as the base of the LC pizza? I've read about folks doing that, and am thinking of trying it.
I used a delicious cheese/egg recipe. I am up 2 pounds this morning so won't be having THAT party food often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-g View Post
Hi Jkaay, I weight trained for years so a bowflex was all I needed for my routine, I would never buy a new one! Way too expensive! There are tons for sale used, mine was $3700. new, I paid $500 perfect used So many people think the answer is spending money with spending time and effort. My wife rides horses and bicycles so no she doesn't bowflex. Hope you have a good day.
That is expensive, but I'm assuming the machines last a long, long time and that you love using them. It's hard to know sometimes what to purchase. For example, I have several exercise dvds that I want to use (really I do ) but they are just so boring to me that I just can't do it! I'd hate to buy, then not use, big, expensive equipment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMontana View Post
LOL, I let the grandkids parents feed the kids. All of my kids are into low carb so it's not much of a problem.
My grandsons eat a well balanced, mostly organic diet with an occassional foray into cookies or fast food. They spend a lot of time with me, so eat what I do, with the addition of extra carbs. I won't feed them artifical anything and very little refined sugar. I miss baking for them!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #36

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Well you snuck in here with this thread and I missed it!

63 years young here and basically a maintainer for 10 years. I went up twice but only because I chose to try Paul McKenna's system of maintaining. On each occasion I gained, sad but true.

I exercise with classes, aerobics, Zumba, step and toning. I know I should do more weight training and I always mean to, but I love the aerobic high!

I love all of your posts, see most of you around the boards and think we 'mature' ones are so fortunate to have found the kind of support LCF offers.

Great thread Auntie Em.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Kissa, It's nice to chat with you here.

You are an active lady! I am not at maintenance yet, but getting close. That time will come with a whole new set of challenges, I know.

Jan
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Rick, how super that you are your wife are on low carb together. I enjoyed your posts. Thanks!

LoveMontana, I'm very sorry about your daughter.

Cindy, it's nice to read your post. Thanks for popping in here.

Jkaay, thanks for the warning about the pizza. I used to make a faux quiche with potatoes on the bottom, but decided it was too much of everything. It's easier to eat things separately, less chance of going overboard.

Started rebounding again this week. I'm making it part of my regular routine. I'm still experimenting with some of the easiest poses at Yogatic. I enjoy how the different kinds of exercise give my something a little different.

Still experimenting with the food plan.

Hope you all have a nice morning!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Auntie Em - your signature is a good reminder about all the fun there is in moving. I have a treadmill in my small living room and am really enjoying it. I like that I can do it in small or long "bursts" and that I can walk faster or slower depending on my energy level, and that I can listen to tv while I walk. I do have a beloved trampoline in my backyard for my grandsons, but I haven't used it without them, for exercise.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Jkaay, thanks for the kind thoughts. I agree, it's nice to have something inside and to be able to control how fast, how much, etc.

Rick, sorry for the wrong word, I meant to type "you and your wife". I do wish the edit icon would stay put much longer.

Hope you all have a lovely day!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Do you think that callanetics helps with posture? I've noticed myself not "standing tall" more as I get closer to correct weight. Has anyone else noticed this? Does your exercise routine specifically promote core strength?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Jkaay, my posture is better. I'm not sure I know what is meant by "core strength". The newer Callanetics DVD, called Callanetics Evolution teaches some things, such as pelvic floor contracting, and ways of using the breath and abdominal muscles during other exercises, and counter pulls in muscles that Callan didn't teach in the original videos. I do notice that in doing some simple yoga poses that the pelvic floor contraction and its concomitant abdominal and thigh muscle action makes yoga poses much more intense, more lifted, increases the stretch in other areas of the body, etc. I don't know how to describe it well yet, as it is new to me, as is yoga. The pelvic floor contractions and the counter pulls make any movement feel full of vitality and uplift.

I find these additional aspects make all my exercises much, much more effective. I am standing up better, feel taller, notice much more often when I sink into my pelvis when I am standing, sitting, getting up or down, or walking. I use the counter pulls and the pelvic floor contractions in doing many daily activities and am noticing great improvement in my muscle tone and posture. The way Sandra explains it makes sense to me. Sandra is the woman who teaches the class on the video. She posts in the Callanetics challenge thread here on this forum, which is a huge gift. She answers questions and gives the nicest encouragement.

Many ballet dancers do Callanetics and find they help tremendously.

I can't imagine not doing Callanetics. I'm sorry I ever took a break from them. You can adapt them to exactly where you are, so that you are in control of how you do each exercise, and control exactly what you do with your muscles, your breathing, etc., which allows intensity in building strength, while really taking care of yourself, and is mentally very calming.

If it interests you, you could ask whatever you'd like to in the Callanetics thread, or even pose a question to Sandra.

I'll answer whatever I can. I'm not a teacher, I just find this way of exercising immensely constructive.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-24-2010 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Forgot a punctuation mark
Old 07-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rick-g
Stats: 402/195, 58yrs old 6'1"
WOE: low carb, TNT
Start Date: June 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Jkaay, thanks for the kind thoughts. I agree, it's nice to have something inside and to be able to control how fast, how much, etc.

Rick, sorry for the wrong word, I meant to type "you and your wife". I do wish the edit icon would stay put much longer.

Hope you all have a lovely day!
Whew... glad you cleared that up, with all the cooking, cleaning and laundry I do, I thought my feminine side was getting a bit too strong
Have a great day!!
Rick-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Rick, thanks for the chuckle.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #45
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I may be the oldest person here, but I want to share my experience--and maintenance plan. Next week, I'll be 69 and plan to start maintaining this month. Over the past several years, I've lost 180 lbs very slowly. Since I'm both post-menopausal and hypothyroid, I didn't think I'd ever be at this point--weighing less than at any time in my adult life. I began simply to get healthier and get some of my weight off, but I began at 340, and just assumed that if I could get to 240, it would be terrific. So I'm really surprised to find myself in this situation--166!

But I want to explain my maintenance plan. I began with just a generic low carb--no specific plan. I had done Atkins way back in 1973, and I knew I needed to go low carb because at that time, my CCL was about 20g a day. Any more than that, and I was ravenously hungry and didn't lose.

After I'd lost about 80 lbs, I seemed to stall for almost a year, gaining and losing the same 10 lbs. I realized that at my age I needed to severely restrict calories to about 1000 a day (my endo confirmed this), but that was tough on a daily basis, and I often overate in frustration--hence, the yo-yo-ing. At Christmas 2008, I found JUDDD, alternate-day dieting, which is a form of IF in which you eat very low calorie on alternate days. To make it simpler, I ate about 400 cal on M, W, Fri, and the other days, I tried to eat 1200-1400. I lost about a pound a week--which is great for me, and it's JUDDD that has brought me to this point--I still eat low carb, by the way--I just organize my calories via JUDDD.

Interestingly, JUDDD has seemed to improve my ability to tolerate carbs. And I don't put any food totally 'off limits.' However, in the process of losing this weight, I have eliminated all grains, dairy, and sweeteners of any kind--artificial or otherwise. I also don't eat fruit. Normally, I eat fish, meat, eggs, and veggies mainly. Almond butter is my major indulgence, and I also buy baking chocolate because it has no sugar at all. I don't fear eating carbs, but I also don't choose to have them most of the time. I feel best eating this simpler way.

On JUDDD, the idea is that these alternate low calorie days are healthy and provide all sorts of benefits (like improving my tolerance for carbs), and for maintenance, the idea is simply to raise the calories on those low days until you're no longer losing. Based on what I've been doing, my plan is to have 700 cal on my low days and 1400 on the other days. After a few weeks, I'll see if those are right for maintaining, and if not, adjust them. I plan to start this about Aug. 23.

This counting calories may seem very unnatural to some of you, but I've been doing it for so long that it's second nature to me.

I am convinced that this weight loss/maintenance process is 90% having the right mental attitude. What scares me is that I don't know how, after all the years of being obese, I found the 'right place' mentally to do this, and I know I need to stay in this place! I don't feel the least deprived; I am fully enjoying my life.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Leo41, thank you for such a beautiful post. It's lovely to read of your success.

I, too, have found a plan that works very well for me. I so appreciate being able to have confidence in it. It has given me a peace which is dear, especially after all the decades of eating in a way that didn't give me what I so needed.

Thank you, again, for writing of your victory.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #47
Senior LCF member

Auntie Em-

Whenever I get down on myself for not having lost this weight 40 years ago, I think about my bones. Since I'm hypothyroid, I have a danger of osteoporosis--both from the disease and the meds, and my endo does annual bone scans. After the first one, he was astounded by the strength of my bones, but I reminded him that they'd gained strength from having to handle all that extra weight for so many years!

He laughed because he agreed that was one of the major reasons for my great bones.

It's nice to know there is at least one upside to all this!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #48

Leo41, what a great success story, thank you so much for telling us. I have looked at JUDDD with interest in the past but am reasonably happy with Atkins.

Good thing about the bones, lol.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Leo41, thanks for the good news about the old weight giving us stronger bones.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Leo, you sound like me when it comes to calories.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
... I also buy baking chocolate because it has no sugar at all. I don't fear eating carbs, but I also don't choose to have them most of the time. I feel best eating this simpler way.

On JUDDD, the idea is that these alternate low calorie days are healthy and provide all sorts of benefits (like improving my tolerance for carbs), and for maintenance, the idea is simply to raise the calories on those low days until you're no longer losing. Based on what I've been doing, my plan is to have 700 cal on my low days and 1400 on the other days. After a few weeks, I'll see if those are right for maintaining, and if not, adjust them. I plan to start this about Aug. 23.

This counting calories may seem very unnatural to some of you, but I've been doing it for so long that it's second nature to me.

Leo41, if you don't mind a few questions:

were you keeping your carbs below 30 a day before you started JUDDD? Do I remember correctly that you posted somewhere that you eat a high carb meal every four to six weeks, and something about a doctor in connection with Atkins stating that this was necessary? I'd be interested in reading more about this if you can remember some kind of reference.

Your counting calories doesn't seem unnatural to me at all. I count everything.

Also, what do you do with the baking chocolate?

Thanks very much,

Em
Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
Hi, I'm pretty much a rookie compared to all you grizzled vets of LCF.

I'm 66 and retired. I started in February, by stopping drinking 7-8 Jack Daniels every night. I lost some weight and decided to try a low carb diet
and kept my carbs down to 50-60 a day. I lost some more weight. I did some surfing and found this site.

In April, I had dropped to 215 and my losses had slowed. So I got involved in an egg fast (plus a little meat) I lost 4lbs in 4 days and a couple days later I did it again with the same results.

At 208 I was thrilled. I decided to get serious. Since about May 1, I have kept my carbs to an average of 25 and calories to an average of 1800.
Surprisingly, I'm near my goal weight, with no prior plan for maintaining.
Actually I guess my plan is to stay at what I've been doing and see where I end up.

I have no problem avoiding grain and sugar and am quite satisfied with my diet. I eat 2-3 servings of veg a day, 1/4 cup nuts every day and meat, eggs and cheese.

On the weekends we barbeque and I have 3 or 4 light beer each day.

Anyway, not much wisdom to impart but I hope to contribute.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Hello, Ron! How nice to have you post here. Glad you found us. Congratulations on your success.

I'm not one of the grizzled vets here at this forum, just someone who got older, and wanted to be healthier and sleek again. I really enjoy eating VLC and cleanly.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #54

Vet here, but I pay a lot of money to avoid grizzled, lol!

Welcome to the maintainers section Ron, good to see you making such a success of LC eating. It is interesting that so many of us find the food we eat satisfying and don't really miss those, sweet and 'grainy' foods.

Last night I allowed myself a slice of white baguette as I was eating snails in garlic butter, and the only way to get the delicious garlic butter is with the a bit of bread.

I have done this many times over the years without starting any cravings and as I only eat them a couple of times a year I see no harm in it. I avoid the scales for a day or two afterwards as there will almost certainly be a water retention issue.

Just sharing.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #55
Senior LCF member

Em-
Yes, I was eating <30g carbs on a regular basis before I started JUDDD. I went to JUDDD when I realized that I also needed to severely restrict calories due to age and a compromised metabolism. I've continued eating low carb simply because that's how I feel best--neither grains nor sugar are my friends.

It's not that the high carb meal is 'necessary,' but recommended. I'm sorry but I read the article so long ago that I don't recall the reference. I've even tried searching for it online but wasn't successful. However, I also eat 'primal' now, and I notice that some of those people also recommend an occasional high carb meal. Their explanation is that it elevates leptin levels that are lowered with low carb eating. I don't know whether that's true--or even if that high carb meal is necessary at all--but it hasn't hurt me. I don't experience cravings or excessive hunger. In fact, I go right into a JUDDD "down day" of about 400 cal. afterwards with no problem.

One thing I have noticed is that while I need to keep my daily calories rather low, if I have a high calorie day about once a month, that helps my loss! I suspect it might be that leptin idea, but the first time I experienced this, I didn't think it was significant, but it happens all the time. I never do it more than once a month--sometimes a little less--but it does something to my body that promotes loss when I go right back to low calorie eating.

Believe it or not, I just eat the baking chocolate as though it's a chocolate bar--usualy a half of a piece at one time (70 cal). I tried it with a little almond butter on it but found that I prefer each of those things by themselves. When I have the chocolate, it's usually with a cup of coffee or tea.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Kissa, reading your post I thought about how nice it is to know ourselves and which splurges will work.

Leo41, thanks so much for taking the time to post in answer to my question. I have been reading about the leptin factor. Certainly many factors involved.

Do you find it needs to be a high carb day, or have you found that a high calorie day of raising the amount of animal fat would work? I eat lacto-paleo and VLC, and am not keen at all on raising carbs. Hence, the question in this form.

I've noticed that chocolate is popular amongst those who post on the paleo forums. Apparently the stearic acid in it is helpful to many, as well as the sweet taste, the caffeine and theobromine being popular, too. I don't eat chocolate, haven't for decades.

I, too, am finding that the older I get the lower my calories need to be. I don't follow JUDDD, but stop eating at ca. 4:30 P. M., and usually have 16-19 hours from the last meal on one day to breakfast on the next. I like how that makes breakfast really breaking a fast. I have found over the years that two meals a day works well for me. At each stage of life, I have to adjust my diet and exercise (along with everything else).

I appreciate you reporting on your methods and successes. It's helpful.

Do I understand correctly that you are still eating less than 30 carbs per day, and added the parameters of lower calories and the timing of one low-calorie day alternating with one higher-calorie day? Then, approx. once per month you have a much high calorie day? Would this example fit? Something like: 600, 1200, 700, 1300, 500, 1400, 600, 1150, etc. and then after several weeks: 2000?

Just want to double check. I've very interested in this. The examples I've read pertain to younger people or those with peppier metabolisms.

Thanks so very much.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #57
Senior LCF member

Hi Em-

Yes, your numbers are a good reflection of how I eat now. The higher 'down day' numbers (600-700) are for maintaining. In weight loss mode, those would be 250-350 cal. If there's any weight creep, I'll drop back down for a while.

Yes, I continue to eat <30g a day of carbs--mainly because that's how I feel best. And my high calorie day is rarely high carb--I'll eat 3 meals instead of 2, and all of them will have substanial meat portions. I might add an avocado and some nuts or almond butter for the calories, too.

In fact, when I do high carb, I try to keep the calories at about 1200 because my thinking is that although I'm putting my body into 'fat storage' mode, if I don't give it too many calories, there won't be anything to store [I hope].

When I do these 'high' days, I always follow them with a 250-300 cal DD, and I'll do that even on maintenance. In fact, I've been practicing listening to my body, and after the last high calorie day, my body didn't want any more than 250 cal the following day. I was completely satisfied.

I hope this answers your questions.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Leo41, thank you very much for your help and explanations. What you are doing seems, to me, as though it is a sort of natural progression.

I really appreciate your taking the time to post this.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #59
Senior LCF member

Em-

Yes, since I lose so slowly, this has been a long journey--and I've progressed to my current WOE gradually. In doing so, I've made deliberate choices, so I never feel deprived by what I don't eat; it's my own choice and I own it.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shunammite
Stats: 165/155/135
WOE: past Atkins, custom, now CAD
Start Date: this time April 2012
I'm too eager to talk to go back and respond to all the lovely people on this thread individually, except THANK YOU TO EM for starting it and THANK YOU TO LEO41, what an inspiration - but so many (!) who have maintained a significant weight loss in er "maturity" - I'm 59 - and it's been much harder losing this time than in the past - my highest weight in my early 40's - for about five years I was 195, emotional eating, poor self discipline, perimenopause, whatever - Atkins saved me, I dropped 60 pounds very quickly - and - not only do your bones benefit from lugging around all that weight - but my muscles were so strong at the lighter weight, I felt like I was walking on the moon and twenty years younger - it was awesome - but the pleasures/comfort of eating are pretty big too. I am trying to find a way to have pleasure without hurting myself.

I believe in pleasure - as a good thing - I hate self denial for no purpose - but when an indulgence is a killer, well you have to change the plan - whoever was drinking the Jack Daniel's every night - me too only it was cheap vodka - about 4 oz nearly every night - I had some hard personal issues, the chance to "escape" every evening was hard to resist - a lot of empty calories there plus I didn't feel so great first thing in the morning.

I am trying to work out a plan that consists of food I really enjoy at EVERY MEAL for maintenance - the trouble with listening to everyone, lots of experts contradict each other - low fat or low carb, balanced or not, count calories or not - I work full time (and enjoy my job very much) - don't want to spend a lot of time on special recipes or weird food - I did "maintain" for about a month recently - but I was still 10 pounds from goal - the Carb Addict plan worked well for me - low carb breakfast and lunch, moderate carbs balanced with equal protein/fat/veg at dinner - I enjoy seeing a plate with "many colors", my low carb meals, I slice up different colored vegetables to make a full pretty plate.

I am afraid to really trust Atkins at this time of life and really eat a lot of fat - I don't want to backslide, it's been so hard to lose this time. Based on my "maintenance month" experience, I can eat about 1200 calories a day with a couple of larger meals on the weekend - cooking for son & family on Sunday - and out w/ my husband Sat night - without gaining - but I spend those 1200 calories as wisely as I can - all real food.

I guess I am fortunate that I have never really been a binge eater, not tempted that way, just steady overeating with no exercise is how I gain, lol. I am not afraid some things that might seem like too much indulgence to others. I eat chocolate, but just one square of that 85% stuff - with a few almonds and a sliced peach or a few strawberries - it's better than any dessert I ever had otherwise. Another "indulgence" that has been great for me - the two low carb meals, then a HUGE protein milkshake in the evening - it's about a blender full - and about 500 calories - but about 30 grams protein and absolutely delicious - unflavored whey, a little nonfat yogurt, WHIPPING CREAM <--magic ingredient, a banana<--I went without bananas for years - I love them so- they are real food - a couple of packets of AS - they are good in the summer, you stay cool for HOURS (lots of ice too) - not so great in cool weather - but it cures me of thinking I'm missing out on sweet treats, as it is like stuffing on ice cream.

Well, I'm not maintaining yet - and I'm not worthy to lick the boots of most of you, with your tremendous accomplishments - but in case anything I have to offer is useful to anyone else, I did want to throw it out there - just proof that IT CAN BE DONE is pretty wonderful - someone on this thread - Rick - said something so true diet is what you put in your mind first, you have to believe to make the effort, it's easier to believe when there are a few good examples around though! Also Em's comment about not letting herself feel deprived, SO IMPORTANT - I have watched family members fail terribly with diets, they were so resentful that they "can't eat that" - it may be that there are things one can't eat but you have to find something to balance that idea out so you don't succumb to the deadly pity party that leads to all kinds of self destructive indulgences.

I can eat a LOT OF GOOD FOOD for 1200 calories - if I keep the fat low - haven't decided how to manage - probably some days will be less food and more fat, some vice versa. I do believe that fat is my friend, and I need to eat it. I also still drink vodka - but only 3 days a week, usually - and only 2 oz. And it's usually a social event and not nightly comfort. It would be better to give it up - just don't want to badly enough yet.

For whoever was asking about exercise - I bought a dvd on Amazon after seeing rave reviews - I was searching for something to help my 80 yr old mother who was recovering from a broken ankle at the time - and saw it - "total body fitness in fifteen minutes a day" - one of the reviews was a 70 yr old lady, I thought, if she can do it, I can too! I used to enjoy long walks in our hilly neighborhood but after going back to work and still cooking for 2 men, time/energy was lacking - fifteen minutes is easy for me to fit in every day, and it REALLY HELPS - for the first time in my life I can stand up to pedal a bike - for short distances that is - but I feel the increased strength in my legs, when stooping or climbing stairs - it includes a warm up, and then alternating cardio and light weights, some stretches and cool down - and there are 4 different workouts, the other three are more vigorous - they were possible for me before I broke this ankle, but I stuck with the wimpy one best. I broke my ankle 2/13/10 (second time!) and sat around A LOT for four months, gained ten pounds, which set off this latest diet plan - and decided to go down another ten, for good measure! I had been using the fitness workout for over a year - couldn't do it for four months, but back at it now. Walking still hurts though.

I don't think the 15 minute workout does anything for my weight, but I do think it mentally helps me to care about my fitness/diet/appearance, it all fits together - so many hard things in life you can't do anything about - but I decided anything I could make better for myself, I would. It's NOT SELFISH - when you are happier you are able to make other people happier too, and vice versa - I learned that late in life sorry to say.
shunammite is offline   Reply With Quote