LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jean106
Stats: 150/128/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2002
Running on low carb

I just watched this on Hulu (Truth About Food: How To be The Best ) It was a endurance test using identical twins, one group was fed high carb and the other low carb and the low carb couldn't keep up. I think that your body needs to get used to low carb to work under an endurance type test. I am planning to do a 10 mile run and want any advantage to get through it. Since i have been on low carb for years i really don't know if i would do better using carbs. So what do you think
jean

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ViolaVixen
Stats: 155(2002)/142(PreAtkins)/128.3(wt now); 5' 7.5''
WOE: Atkins / general LowCarb / Lifting Weights
Start Date: Nov 2009
Ohhhh just wait till Betty sees this. She's low carbed for years, started running later in life, is in her 50's and runs marathons. I think she is solid proof that you certainly don't NEED carbs for endurance!

I've heard though the comparison of carbs being your "nitro" - that extra blast that race cars use to give them that edge to blast to the finish line. You might want to poke around in the exercise thread.
ViolaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
No carbs essential for exercise:

PaNu - P?Nu Blog - There are no essential carbohydrates, even forathletes

I am living testament to this contention with my daily 16-20 hr. fasting prior to exercising (3-5 hr. per day/6 times per week currently) as a result of only 1 meal eaten with some snacking afterwards.

The only explanation and glucose source during my extended riding is gluconeogenesis as I only drink plain water while riding.
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I run faster when I carb up -- but that is a lowcarbers carb up, not a highcarbers carb up -- I absolutely run faster. I feel like sh!!t when I wake up and when I start to run, but I absolutely run faster. I can run 10 miles either way - but we're talking an 8.5 minute mile versus a 10 minute mile ... I usually don't care, but when I do, I eat extra the night before and the morning of ...
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I hate to admit it but I am waaaaay faster on a higher carb diet when running. I can run on LC but I am a slow poke. Admitedly it is quite frustrating. There is a definitely disconnect between what the speed I know I can run and the speed I am running . It has been 3 years I am still having trouble adjusting to the exercise intensity prior to LC, but admittedly I don't need to go that intense, in terms of weightloss...
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
I did quite a bit of reading on this via google-yahoo. Lots of opinions and science out there. Below is a list of what I gathered.

1. Your liver will store enough glycogen for about 1 to 1.5 hours of moderate exercise. This is regardless of whether you are on a High or Low Carb diet.

2. While it only takes about 3 days to switch your body from carbs to ketones for fuel it takes longer to become efficient at it.

3. No food within 2 hours of exercise. The insulin response to the food may actually deplete your glycogen stores. So you either eat 2 hours before or 5 to 10 minutes before.

4. Your mileage may vary.

My pre-race routine...
1. 32 Oz Water
2. 2 Advil
3. Almond/Peanut butter on Deli Thins
4. Coffee

This is only for events that would be push the 1 hour limit.
On On

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #7

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Batlou... that "on on" hints at a Hasher?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Batlou... that "on on" hints at a Hasher?
Hah, you are the second person that has asked me that recently. I only heard it from a guy while waiting for a race to start. We had been chatting about running for a bit and when the gun went off he blurted it out just as the gun fired. At that moment it seemed very fitting. Need to go running with the Hashers, sound like my kind of people.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
i run slow no matter what. lol
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fireflyfaster
Stats: 234/150 5'9 BMI 22
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 4/20/09 - Met Goal April 2010
Please to be explaining this "Hasher" of which you speak
fireflyfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jean106
Stats: 150/128/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2002
I am doing a 10 mile race May 2 Its the Broadstreet run in Philly all down hill. I have been training and did 8 miles and felt good but when i start i fell like i'm dragging a car behind me it takes about a mile to get it together Any ideas on how to loose the car? I eat 2 hours before and an apple right before.
jean106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ville
Stats: 161/155/143
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: 21/3/2010
What about taking glucose tablets before runs? Has anyone tried it?
Next week I will start running after one month break. I just started Atkins diet and would like to stay on it, just not sure how those two will match.
ville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ville View Post
What about taking glucose tablets before runs? Has anyone tried it?
Next week I will start running after one month break. I just started Atkins diet and would like to stay on it, just not sure how those two will match.
If I wanted "carb up" quickly before a run...I would just eat fruit/juice rather than take glucose tabs. But that is JHMO... I know people that are LC that eat sweetarts or smarties candies before a run...I guess it is the same idea as glucose tabs.

I was really hoping I would just adjust over time, but haven't and I am not willing to possibly revive carb addiction with sweet carbs.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ville
Stats: 161/155/143
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: 21/3/2010
Steady, thank you for advice. I like the idea of juice more than that of glucose tabs.
ville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LocoPollo
Stats: 143.5/139.5/120
WOE: HCG P2 VLCD6
Start Date: Monday
Hashers is a running club for drinkers with a running problem.
LocoPollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy2BThin4Me
Stats: 219/172/155 or 20-22% body fat
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Start Date: April 3rd, 2010
I noticed a performance difference when I first started eating low carb - like a sluggish feeling where I just wanted to walk instead of run. However after a few weeks I was able to run normally and do all the speedwork I was used to doing. I have run 10 and 12 mile runs with no gel or gatorade assistance - just water and felt good. No need to stop, walk, or have a gel. It is a different feeling though to get used to - running on fat as fuel because it's sort of like the same feeling as "hitting the wall" during a marathon but your body isn't used to it and doesn't know what to do. However, if you run often while burning fat, you've trained your body to be more efficient at fat burning and that it is normal for you. I have been pleased that recently I've been able to do challenging hill and interval workouts and I am actually faster than before low carb...the jury is still out though for me because I haven't tried running a race on low carb yet. I imagine if I had enough time to train and prepare it would go just as well as my pre-low carb days. Maybe even better, because I won't run into a wall at mile 23 of a marathon like I did before...hard to say. Could be I was just undertrained, could be I was just running on carbs. If I had been doing low carb all along, my body would've been used to it and just switched over fuel sources...whether I had carb-loaded or not. What gives me performance issues now is whether or not I have eaten a meal recently. If I go out and run hungry, no matter what I feel sluggish. I really have to "fat load" beforehand and that seems to do the trick most of the time. I just need fuel for my runs - especially the intense ones. If I am fueled, I run well. In fact lately I am almost "hyper" when I run and I have been on 25gms of carbs/day. I guess it depends on your training, fueling, and recovery plans as to how your body responds. I do think though that your body needs to be trained in the low carb way and fat burning and it takes a few weeks from what I can tell - a few weeks of both low carb and running training for things to perk back up again. Any time I have felt weak after a run, I have a cup of broth or Powerade Zero and I am just fine. I am going to experiment with longer runs and taking Powerade Zero with me. I love it so far and it helps with my electrolyte intake after shorter runs so I will try it for longer runs and see. I remember times when I wasn't eating low carb that if I didn't take a gel every 30 mins or so I just wanted to crawl home but not anymore - I always wanted to wean myself off my dependence on gels and this seems to have done it for me.

-Michelle
Happy2BThin4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Don't end up like me. I was happily low carb for over a year when I took up endurance sports last fall. I did well on low carb but as my workouts grew to over 3 hours I succumbed to the, "you need more carbs" to fuel your workout hype. I started with Lara bars but eventually allowed Gu and energy bars into my life. This lead to carb creep in other areas as well, and I used my heavy training as an excuse to allow it.

Now I've gained weight, I feel like I'm starving to death all the time, and have terribly uncontrolable cravings. I feel completely out of control. If I could turn back the clock, I would not have gone down this road. It's not worth it. But with a big race only a few weeks away, I'm afraid to try to back paddle too much right now.

Once my race is over, I hope to clear this garbage out of my system and get rebalanced the low-carb way.

As always, YMMV.
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria40nc View Post
Don't end up like me. I was happily low carb for over a year when I took up endurance sports last fall. I did well on low carb but as my workouts grew to over 3 hours I succumbed to the, "you need more carbs" to fuel your workout hype. I started with Lara bars but eventually allowed Gu and energy bars into my life. This lead to carb creep in other areas as well, and I used my heavy training as an excuse to allow it.

Now I've gained weight, I feel like I'm starving to death all the time, and have terribly uncontrolable cravings. I feel completely out of control. If I could turn back the clock, I would not have gone down this road. It's not worth it. But with a big race only a few weeks away, I'm afraid to try to back paddle too much right now.

Once my race is over, I hope to clear this garbage out of my system and get rebalanced the low-carb way.

As always, YMMV.

Thanks for that insight. I still do the lara bars but have not ventured past those yet. One of the trainers at the place I just started going for tri-specific strength training is suggesting that I start taking gels. Hammer Gel specifically because it is "long chain" carbohydrates and not just pure sugar. She is a 7 time finisher of Boston and ripped so I am not going to completely discount her advice. However, I feel like that stuff might ratchet up my other cravings like you stated so I am definatly leary of it.