Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
So the scale can lie both ways?

I'm the same weight I was 2 months ago but tonight I got comments about looking like I'm gaining again. I was with two friends, one made the comment and the other one agreed with him.

Of course I start to analyze it and I think it looks like I have more belly fat. But it could just be the mental side of it messing with my head.

Or maybe they saw my loss of weight as an exaggerated memory so I look heavier because my weight is stable now?

No matter what it is, it sucks.

Now I go over it again and again in my head. Blah!

Although I did reach my goal I recently decided I want to lose few more pounds. I don't mind how I look most of the time, well at least when I'm fully clothed, but I would prefer a smaller belly.

I'm kinda pissed at how it seems to be harder to lose those last few than the first 30.

My diet has been more "laid back" or flexible or whatever you wanna call it. But I would still call it healthy and far from being over the top. I guess I just have to take it one step further if I want to lose more. Next month it will be a year and I lost like 3/4 of the weight in the first 6 months so yeah now when I go over it I'm not as happy as I was few months ago.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/135.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Im not sure what youre asking??

BTW Congrats!!! you did amazing!!

I had to laugh...no one has ever told me I look like I'm gaining...even when I was...!!
Finding a weight or fitness level that feels right is difficult....and yeah belly fat was the very last fat to go...sigh...

The last weight is almost always slow...our body adapts out....I reached my goal...and my body decided where it wanted to be and a few more very slowly fell off with out me adjusting..

Maybe going back to strict L/C..whatever you were doing before will shake it up enough for you to start losing again...pick up your activity level a bit..

Cheering you on !!
goal made 04.04.14
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
I'm sorry to hear that. It's good they had the integrity and courage to tell you that so you can address it. And you're right, it sucks!
On the whole, you've done great, so congrats there. Part of this may be mind and body adjusting to the "NEW YOU" working hard to hold onto the old.

Best wishes on figuring it out.
Ella5

Last edited by ella5; 11-08-2014 at 09:26 AM..
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rugaroo
Stats: 241/199/140
WOE: Paleo Autoimmune
Start Date: june 3, 2014
How do your clothes fit?
rugaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
To answer you question, no. I don't think will tell us we are smaller than we are. I think, personally, that was kinda jerky of them. Even if it was well intentioned, it's messing with your head. Stop it. Stop it right now.

You have done an awesome job! You got to your goal!! If you decide you want to lose a few more, you know how to do it. So, okay, maybe the comment made you look at 'tightening' things up a little. I think you've done great, and you're still learning.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You know that the scale really is only a measure of weight and that is as reliable as your scale is. If you stand on it and add a 5lbs. weight, it should show that added weight.

If you are the same weight - you are the same weight. Aside from up to 4lbs. of fluid that can come and go. You may have redistributed your fat and muscle which could account for a difference in appearance.

If my friends had made those comments to me, they wouid risk an ugly scene. Maybe men are different?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
The scale is a measure of weight, not volume or size. It can artifically show a lower weight if you are dehydrated, or show a higher weight if you are retaining water, have recently eaten, etc. Also fat takes up more space than muscle, so if you are eating more carbs in "maintanance" it is possible you have lost muscle and gained fat (since carbs are great at "helping" us do both), and are thus physically bigger even if you weigh the same. I agree with the PP who asked how your clothes fit. That may be a more reliable indicator for you at this point than the scale.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 11-08-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
Good for your for having friends who tell you when you're gaining weight. My friends (most are overweight/obese too) just let me balloon to seemingly mammoth proportions! There's only one person who tell it to me straight - my mother.

Maybe you were just wearing horizontal stripes that day
Amélie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
The scale does not lie. It measures total weight at a given moment.

The problem is that most people think the number means things it doesn't.

It is possible to be the same weight as you were previously but have more fat. It is also possible to drop sizes (AKA lose fat) and not have the scale move. It has to do with body composition & LBM as well as fat%. These are things the scale can't measure.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Depending on your height...weight loss may not be what you need. Perhaps a situation of wanting to gain muscle and lose any residual puffy places? If you are muscle with little padding over it, your friends will be making "comments" because they are jealous.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #11
Easily Amused

Gallery: FindingMyWay
Maybe you just weren't wearing flattering clothes?
FindingMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcmike
Stats: 300/223/200
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
The scale does not lie. It measures total weight at a given moment.

The problem is that most people think the number means things it doesn't.

It is possible to be the same weight as you were previously but have more fat. It is also possible to drop sizes (AKA lose fat) and not have the scale move. It has to do with body composition & LBM as well as fat%. These are things the scale can't measure.
This is a really great post! it's easy to forget these things.
dcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
There is variation among scales, though, but I get the point.

I also get your frustration, G. I've lost 30, but took me 1 1/2 years to do that.
I am plateaued . . . . not gaining but not losing . . . but I also feel fatter around the middle. So far my new smaller clothes are fitting, but I am concerned because the carbs are creeping a bit. I need to recommit seriously, but so far that day has not come. No one has said anything about me putting on weight, but I feel it coming.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
There wasn't any point in this thread other than ranting in frustration haha.

I'm calmer now and I'm actually fine with them being honest because sometimes it can take you too long to realize something about yourself, often because of denial.

I think perhaps my diet had become too relaxed, even for maintenance. They have seen me lose and gain again and again so I like that they said something if they think I'm going off track again, no matter if it's the case or not. Perhaps I have gained 3 or 4 pounds of fat, if that is the case then it's good to face it now than wait until its 10 or 20.

But yes I was wearing a new t-shirt. It fit but it was on the smaller side. Also the day before I ate a lot of salty foods so perhaps I had a little extra water weight.

Anyway no matter what it was, I am inspired to step it up. I'm not gonna have any cheat days until Christmas and stick with 20 net carbs a day.

P.s. it is still annoying that nobody says anything about me losing weight until I have lost like 15, but if I gain just a couple people notice right away.

P.s.2. I have a caliper body percentage measurement but I only got it like a month ago. I'm gonna try to focus on that in the coming months rather than the scale.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 11-09-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 02/24/04
There is something to what you are saying though. When I'm 'losing' my face looks thinner and my stomach is flatter etc. Scale can say "X" weight and then I'm Not losing weight anymore and I fill back in yet I still weigh "X" on the scale. I'm not sure how that works exactly but there's definitely something to it.
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote