Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: candyjanney
Will my blood pressure go down?

Long time lurker here. I worship this site and visit it daily. Last week I started on my low carb quest. My blood pressure was 140/101. It was my yearly visit to my obgyn where the nurse taking my blood pressure was surprised to see my pressure so high and said that is bad since I am trying to have a baby. I was a saint the whole week (cept a nightly glass of wine as I am currently weaning myself off alcohol and I know cold turkey can be dangerous) and 7 days later, today, I did my blood pressure at the grocery store and it was 153/116... I'm hoping it was just stress but I'm a hypochondriac (took zoloft for it but weaned myself off it as I've been trying to get pregnant) and I'm dejected and sad. Good news is I'm down 10lbs the first week, I know it's mostly water weight but I'm happy to be under 200lbs for the first time in a few years. I'm sticking to it, under 40 carbs a day for me and I love that my appetite has become non existent, but when will my blood pressure go down? I really don't want to go on meds and I want to do this naturally... I've started taking potassium and calcium supplements as calorie counter says I'm insanely low and I know that's part of it. I bought nu-Salt today too to help with potassium but it's vomit inducing. I could take it if I have to, it's impossible for me to get the insane amount of potassium according to calorie count. I'm not gonna lie I hatehatehate most veggies. Nightly I make a great bean mix with almonds and daily I have a salad but that's the only veggies I can take. If I have to hold my nose and eat I will but I'm hoping there is a better way.

Last edited by candyjanney; 09-21-2014 at 05:53 PM..
candyjanney is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe CarboNot
Stats: 233/178/ Hit Goal
WOE: Atkins by way of Medifast
Start Date: Sept 2013
Sounds like you are on the right track. You've got the weight loss going in the right direction. Also, I would not be too overly concerned with a Blood Pressure reading taken in a grocery store. Who knows when it was last calibrated. Your reading there should be noted but not to worry too much.

Are you doing anything at all like taking a nice walk for maybe 30-45 minutes lets say 3-5 times a week. Between the lower carb intake and just a bit of walking or something gentle that will raise your heart rate for at least 30 mins or so, in short order your blood pressure will drop, and you will feel must more relaxed and fit.
The wine tastes better too.
Keep us informed and keep up the good work.
Joe CarboNot
Joe CarboNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe CarboNot View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track. You've got the weight loss going in the right direction. Also, I would not be too overly concerned with a Blood Pressure reading taken in a grocery store. Who knows when it was last calibrated. Your reading there should be noted but not to worry too much.

Are you doing anything at all like taking a nice walk for maybe 30-45 minutes lets say 3-5 times a week. Between the lower carb intake and just a bit of walking or something gentle that will raise your heart rate for at least 30 mins or so, in short order your blood pressure will drop, and you will feel must more relaxed and fit.
The wine tastes better too.
Keep us informed and keep up the good work.
Joe CarboNot
Thank you, sweetheart, I'm not doing much walking outside of taking the dog around our big park a couple times a week... I could totally be walking more outside, I know. I'm horrible when it comes to that sort of thing. I feel better knowing someone thinks I'm in the right direction. Hypochondria is such an insane condition. I feel like what I'm doing is never enough or not right. When I took my nu-salt for the first time (1/6 tsp, under my tongue) I was afraid the tiny bit was too much and I was gonna explode an organ or something! It sucks.

Last edited by candyjanney; 09-21-2014 at 06:43 PM..
Old 09-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
There are many factors that affect blood pressure and unfortunately no one can really answer if it will go down. I will say that many people's do - mine hasn't yet.

Aside from that there are a few low/lower carb foods that are potassium rich (better than bananas). They are spinach, salmon, avocado and mushrooms, other greens, yogurt, other meaty fish (tuna, etc.) Black strap molasses. Most of these have over 500 m of potassium per serving (most about 1/2 cup - molasses 1 T.).

Getting nutrients from foods rather than supplements is probably better since you can't really OD on them (potassium supplementation has to be managed if above the standard vitamin dosage). (although I think fish oil supplements are probably good in your case with HBP.)

Also if these foods aren't really palatable find ways to hide them .. like spinach in a soup or tomato based dish (also make sure to use baby spinach the larger leaves are bitter).

hope this helps and I hear you about being a hypochondriac ... kinda runs in my family. I say it's not so much hypochondria so much as hyper aware of our mortality.

Last edited by webcrystal; 09-21-2014 at 07:16 PM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome to low carb! I think you are expecting instant results and that is not generally how it works. For me, my b.p. took a long time to normalize. I had been on meds for a number of years so it also involved weaning off of those.

The reason why low carb tends to lower an elevated blood pressure is due to the inflammation that carbs create. And as we all know, carbs are not all equal. Some of the worst carbs are all (not just wheat) grains due to their inflammatory effect (read Brain Grain by Dr. Purlmutter or Wheat Belly by Dr. W. Davis for clarity) so it is important to remove anything that contains these from your diet.

I am a lover of veg but because I am very low carb, I have to restrict them fairly severely. I am not concerned about the micro nutrients because I am sure to eat a good variety of proteins and fats which cover all my needs.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I use Mortons Lite Salt. less sodium and has the iodine and potassium in it. I like it.

also grocery store blood pressure? Nope. Do not for one second think that is correct

it takes time for it all to come around, but honestly 140/101 isn't that bad considering it is 'mostly' higher for everyone because of the stress of being at the doctor's office.

I had Dr. blood pressure when I had sinus infection and taking over counter meds for it...like 140/90.

the next week off meds, felt better and at a work function the medical team was giving our free readings for blood pressure. Mine was 111/72. I usually hover around the 115/70 area anyway. So when I saw the 140/90 (and Dr. mentioned it was a concern) I said nope, it isn't. I told her SHE puts my blood pressure up all the times I go to her HAHA. but to check one time, I went to pay a bill at the office, asked the gal if I could have a fast BP check and we did. 110/70 as usual. See, I don't see the Dr. I am fine

give it a bit of time then go get a new reading at a reliable source.

choosing a lc way of life will give you wonderful benefits. jsut give it a bit of time and then the magic starts to kick in!

what a difference

Last edited by Trigger828; 09-22-2014 at 08:46 AM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I would not be taking any supplement like nu salt and potassium tablets until I did a full cbc and a blood panel at my doctors office.....If your blood pressure is already high, sometimes your potassium is elevated too..adding that in would be dangerous. If you don't want to go to the dr. maybe you could just call the nurse and ask this about the extra's you are taking. Maybe you have White Coat syndrome, like I do, bp goes thru the roof when I am at the Dr.s office. Hope you feel better soon, hang in there! Walking with you!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Hi Candy. Is your high blood pressure genetic by any chance? Does your Mother, Father or siblings have it? If it is genetic, diet and exercise really won't have much of an effect. I'm 105 lbs, have exercised my entire life, and limit my carbs but I'm on three BP meds because it's genetic. I'm not trying to upset you, but please just be aware that your high blood pressure is not necessarily the result your life style or weight. Still a great idea to low carb and live healthy, though.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 09-22-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Hi Candy. Is your high blood pressure genetic by any chance? Does your Mother, Father or siblings have it? If it is genetic, diet and exercise really won't have much of an effect. I'm 105 lbs, have exercised my entire life, and limit my carbs but I'm on three BP meds because it's genetic. I'm not trying to upset you, but please just be aware that your high blood pressure is not necessarily the result your life style or weight. Still a great idea to low carb and live healthy, though.
I don't believe your statement is 100% correct. HBP is genetic in my family, but my HBP was helped by diet and exercise. I think what you meant to say is that there could be a point where diet and exercise won't help because of the genetic component, and you may still need to medicate. This is your situation.

My distinction may sound picy, but we certainly don't want to discourage anyone from paying attention to diet and exercise since it can be helpful.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I did add that it's good to low carb and live healthy even though it may not be enough to control blood pressure. The fact that I'm fit as a fiddle, eat low carb, and am practically underweight has apparently done NOTHING to control my blood pressure being that I'm on three meds to control it. I have a twin sister who's lifestyle is the complete opposite from mine (she eats crap, doesn't exercise and needs to lose 20 lbs) and she's also on three meds for her BP. Sometimes you just can't beat your genetics. But that doesn't stop me from continuing to live healthy.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 09-22-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Old 09-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

My mother had hypertension, and so does my sister. That would suggest genetics are at play. The difference is that they both ate and do eat a standard low fat/high carb woe. I think genetics that count are that we share the same in-tolerances to carbs and in particular, grains. Not that we have some innate predisposition to hypertension.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

You don't have a genetic predisposition to hypertension, but there are many families that do. I come from one of them. Everyone in my family is on BP meds, even though we all eat different diets.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Chatty Cathy

My eldest son had hypertension until he went grain free and low carb. My grandmother stroked out with a b.p. of 170/120. Is there a gentic test that determines 'gentic predisposition to hypertension or is it a family history? By any measure, my family does and did have a problem with hypertension and so did I until I became firmly committed to eating no grains and low carb.

Last edited by clackley; 09-22-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My eldest son had hypertension until he went grain free and low carb. My grandmother stroked out with a b.p. of 170/120. Is there a gentic test that determines 'gentic predisposition to hypertension or is it a family history? By any measure, my family does and did have a problem with hypertension and so did I until I became firmly committed to eating no grains and low carb.
I don't believe there's a test that determines genetic predisposition to HBP. If every member of one's family has it regardless of diet, weight and fitness level, then it's evident (to me) that hypertension runs in that family. It's great that low carbing solved your and your son's BP issues, clackley. I wish I could say the same. My low carb eating has not made a dent in lowering my BP. Hopefully, it will for Candy as it did for you.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 09-22-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Old 09-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Ronnie51, I don't know how long you have low carbed or if you have eliminated all grains but I can say that it took me time to normalize my b.p.. As I recall, it was close to a year. I probably could have gotten off the meds earlier but I have white coat syndrome and had to purchase a home machine to see what my b.p. was under normal conditions. I am happy to report that I fall into the low/normal group at this point. Hopefully you too will experience a normalization with adherence to your plan.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Here is a bit of my story. I must go get my blood work every 3 months since I have high blood sugar. I would typically "celebrate" each 3 month visit for blood work with a trip to Dunkin Donuts- I considered this my "right". I would eat badly for the next 2 months or so until a month before my next visit to the doc. My bouts with high and low blood sugar were so bad that I firmly believed my "circuitry" was permanently shot.

Compounding this situation was the fact that during these 2 months of not working on my health I did not do my exercise biking.
Not exercising made me feel sick in a different way -anxious, tense, tight in the chest and somewhat confused much of the time. I knew that pretty much the first time I got back on my bike what would happen. It is this:

The tightness in my chest would immediately loosen up. The extra oxygen into my body would feel like a cool breeze on a hot night. Even though I knew the cure I would delay exercising which would increase my stress.

It was really that simple- the increased oxygen intake from even light to moderate exercise WILL work wonders. Everyone on the LC website is on the right path. Of secondary but still of vital importance is to develop some gentle, systematic form of exercise to fully take advantage of their healthier diet. We are here to help.
Joe CarboNot
Old 09-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ronnie51, I don't know how long you have low carbed or if you have eliminated all grains but I can say that it took me time to normalize my b.p.. As I recall, it was close to a year. I probably could have gotten off the meds earlier but I have white coat syndrome and had to purchase a home machine to see what my b.p. was under normal conditions. I am happy to report that I fall into the low/normal group at this point. Hopefully you too will experience a normalization with adherence to your plan.
Thanks, clackley. No one in my family is off BP meds so I can't imagine being any different, despite my healthier way of eating and long term exercising. The lower carb does help my blood sugar levels, but, again, has had no effect on BP (so far...it's been about 2 years of low carb).
Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Holding hope for you Ronnie51!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Holding hope for you Ronnie51!
Thank you, clackley! You're good inspiration.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

It is true- no doubt high Blood Pressure is a tough nut to crack. I am off my statin totally. My blood sugar med was cut in half - Amaryl down to 1 mg.
The blood pressure med remains the same by my doc. I never asked why this is.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Wow I feel so much better reading all these replies and seeing how everyone is different. I don't think hbp runs in my family but obesity and diabetes does that's for sure, so hbp probably comes with it. I'm starting to think my main problem is over worrying every time I get my bp tested. I'll stick with this just to get healthy all around and try not to stress over every little aspect of what's physically wrong with me now. Now I just gotta sit back and enjoy my sudden onset of the induction flu symptoms I'm feeling today lol @_@
Old 09-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
Hi Candy!

The more you think, the more you stress, the higher your BP will be. Trust this WOE. Some people need to continue to take BP meds (me), some don't. It's all very individual. But I gotta say my blood pressure is a lot better now (100-120/60-70) range than 30 pounds ago (140/90).
Amélie is online now   Reply With Quote