Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChiCityGuy
Scared I will fail.

Just letting it all out here. I went from about 340 lbs down to 265 about 2 years ago. I have "maintained" (at 285 lbs right now) over these last two years. This was done by jumping on and off the lifestyle, never sticking with it, carb creep, cheat days, the works. I have tried to get back into weight loss but keep failing myself. I know how to do it right, I've done it right, but I keep falling off the wagon. I'm scared I will fail. I NEED THIS for me. I WILL DO THIS. I think the problem I had was that my lifestyle changed. I got so many more friends I let their influence affect me. It became too hard to say no to a slice of bread, too hard to not drink beers with the guys. Today this changes! I will be vocal,I will stand my ground. I have to, because I never want to be afraid of starting this again. Sorry for the rant, this community has helped me so much in the past I need your support.
ChiCityGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcmike
Stats: 300/225/200
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Good luck!! I lost 60 pounds 10 years ago on Atkins and then changed jobs and lifestyles and gradually gained it all back and then some. I can relate to your issues and just want to say it can be done. You can be social without consuming a ton of carbs. You can do it!!!
dcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/197/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002)
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Welcome back and good luck with your continued WOE. You can do it!.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Good luck. Just take it one day at a time. Like Mike said, you can be social and low carb, it just takes diligence and practice. Your friends might rib you at first, but they'll get used to your way of eating and end up admiring you for your discipline. Also, once you are firmly in ketosis, it becomes much easier. Then your friends will be amazed when you start shrinking before their eyes.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Welcome back! Yes, you can do it. Just ask yourself when tempted, is this worth my health? I have yet to find anything that is worth it to me.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
We're here for you. I'm on my second round after a 13 year free for all, I came back 100 pounds heavier. But I've lost 75 lbs and stuck with it three years now. This time it's for life. If I can do this anyone can.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/250/200
Start Date: December 30, 2013
Welcome back! You know you're worth it! Loads of inspiration and support here.
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mephy
Stats: 155/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: August 2002
You can do it. It's a journey. You haven't failed yet; you just haven't finished.
mephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/196/188 (12/1/14); 5'7", 52 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephy View Post
You can do it. It's a journey. You haven't failed yet; you just haven't finished.
I LOVE THIS!
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Failure is only possible when you give up!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
So many smart, experienced Low carbers here, ain't it great?! Two call outs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Good luck. Just take it one day at a time. Like Mike said, you can be social and low carb, it just takes diligence and practice. Your friends might rib you at first, but they'll get used to your way of eating and end up admiring you for your discipline. Also, once you are firmly in ketosis, it becomes much easier. Then your friends will be amazed when you start shrinking before their eyes.
Oh yeah. This particularly: "It just takes diligence and practice." That's it!!! Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy. But you put your "persistence muscle" (see my sig) into action, and hang on for dear life, and you'll find it's freaking amazing what you can do on this woe, in terms of both satisfaction and weight loss. And again, oh yeah, when your friends see you shrink AND be happy on your woe, they're going to start to think hey, what does this guy know I don't? It CAN happen, I've experienced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Amen, Cfine, Amen. IMO, not giving up on our quests, even if they have to change and moderate w/age and circumstance, IS the "fountain of youth."

Being afraid to fail actually ages us. It's the ability of youth to bounce back and try again that we all want to harness, even if we can't harness literal youth. If we're doing anything right, we're learning from every failure, and getting right back on the horse, in the best way we can.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Be sure you stay fueled up with protein and fat. When you are not hungry, it is a lot easier to turn down temptation. You can do this. You have done it! Just keep on keeping on!!
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Great line!
daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/242/195
WOE: Keto
Start Date: January 2014
I have had a really rough week (though ironically not diet-wise....for once in my life stress and anxiety caused me to eat less...hooray for ketosis!) and all of your comments made me feel better in general! ChiCityGuy the fact that you are here shows that you can do it.

Lately, with several things in my life causing me stress, I have been using the day at time mentality to help me. You don't have to be eat right for the rest of your life, you just have to eat right today. Say no to temptation today. Tomorrow you can worry about tomorrow.

cfine and mephy...I needed to hear those words today. Thank you!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/294/287
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
You can do this. I agree posting for accountability is very smart. I did just as you stated, lost and then let things get out of hand over the last few years. Just started back June 3rd and the first thing I did was post on here that I had recommitted. I am off about 30 of the 45 I had put back on.
One day at a time.... you, I and all our friends can do this. I support and applaud you for taking that step to get going again. If you are anything like me, I have tried about everything to lose weight over the years. Low carb works! Lot of support here! You will do this!!
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
So sometimes there's people you come across that are able to stand their ground when being enticed to do one thing or another by well-meaning ... or sometimes maybe not so well meaning ... friends or family and you admire their tenacity, don't you?

You don't eat that bread or drink that beer because of friends, you do it for whatever your reasons are. You can also choose NOT to eat that bread or drink that beer for whatever your reasons are and be just as tenacious and have people wonder, Wow, how'd you get that strong? I could never do that.

Maybe you're not scared you will fail, maybe you're scared you will succeed and be that person. That person who is strong and sticks to things .... and maybe you don't see yourself as that person.

I don't know, just throwing all that out there. You're so close and you have done well. So keep being that person because you already are.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Godslamb
Stats: 221/221/150
WOE: low carb high fat
Start Date: January 9 2014
I agree with all of these sentiments. I have a slightly different problem. I am actually opposite you. When I go out with friends, I am hmmm...I guess "Showing off" that I can eat healthy and avoid the "bad" foods. BUT!
It is when I am alone that I cave. At the moment, I am going through some major family issues that have me fairly depressed. Food is my comfort. I am always enticed more by food when I am depressed. But like you ChiCityGuy, I refuse to give up. I have gained all I have lost over the last 6 months, and I am still fighting those comfort food attacks, but that doesn't mean I won't try to eat those things that I know are good for my woe.
To quote a famous head:
"You try, you fail, you try, you fail. But the only time you really fail is when you quite trying." - Madame Leota (Haunted Mansion)
Godslamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I find it useful to come to this forum for support, keep off plan foods out of reach, develop a strategy for when I go out and about, and recommit myself every morning when I wake up. But some days are just harder than others and I can relate fearing to fail. I have hit a bit plateau and it is very clear to me that I have little window for extra food. I said going in this was a change for a lifetime, and I need to remember that. I also kind of get what you are saying godslamb. Home is a safe place. I can be more vigilant sometimes when out and about and I know I am "being watched."

We can all do it one day at a time!

Last edited by Patience; 09-23-2014 at 05:18 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChiCityGuy
Just reporting back in. Love the inspiration and the support! I have been Sticking strict to induction and feeling GREAT. Back on this woe for good!! You guys are the best!
ChiCityGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flinderella
Stats: <private>
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
So...I get what you mean because my family ribbed me about it at first till they realised it wasn't a 'phase' or a fad...and tried to sabotage me a few times! They did come round eventually and my Mum has now joined me after seeing how much better I am on the LC WOE. I cooked nice LC things at their house so they could understood it was healthy, fresh food and I also made LC treats that they saw, and saw me enjoying. They were impressed that I'd done my research and by my success and are now very supportive, even my 4 yr old niece who has embraced courgetti in a huge way!!

STICK TO YOUR GUNS and they will see.

Also re: friends - I just don't eat around those who aren't supportive but thankfully have loads who are! And some who are just interested...which is also helpful.

Last edited by flinderella; 09-27-2014 at 08:47 AM..
flinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: December143
ChiCityGuy: I, too, am just getting back in the game after being away for awhile. I wish you all the best.
December143 is offline   Reply With Quote