Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SissyZ
Stats: 218/198/175
Start Date: September 2014
Do I have this right?

Hello! I am new. I saw a post on Facebook about Low Carb eating, so I took out the carbs in my diet, so am I doing it correctly?
I cut out the sugar, as well, but I see some people make their own ketchup, bbq sauce and mustard, I am not doing that, do I have to?
I make my own salad dressing, but I always have!
I look at the threads of what people are eating and I am eating lots more than most. LOTS.
How much Splenda can I have?
Why are people eating butter in coffee?
I took out processed foods, but I see some are able to eat sugar free jello for breakfast! I want jello for breakfast!
Can I have jello for breakfast?
I started last Monday, I feel like this is a great way for me, but that probably means I'm doing it wrong!?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sissy
SissyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyZ View Post
Hello! I am new. I saw a post on Facebook about Low Carb eating, so I took out the carbs in my diet, so am I doing it correctly?
I cut out the sugar, as well, but I see some people make their own ketchup, bbq sauce and mustard, I am not doing that, do I have to?
I make my own salad dressing, but I always have!
I look at the threads of what people are eating and I am eating lots more than most. LOTS.
How much Splenda can I have?
Why are people eating butter in coffee?
I took out processed foods, but I see some are able to eat sugar free jello for breakfast! I want jello for breakfast!
Can I have jello for breakfast?
I started last Monday, I feel like this is a great way for me, but that probably means I'm doing it wrong!?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sissy
Sissy,
I'll take a crack at your queries.

First, a word about carbs. You say you "took out the carbs in my diet" and "cut out the sugar, as well." Sugar actually IS a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are contained in a wide range of foods. Some people think of carbs as bread and pasta and the like, but they are also contained in varying amounts in fruits and vegetables and dairy and a whole lot of processed foods. What did you mean when you said you cut out carbs? You might want to do some research on the nutritional content of the foods you eat. It helps to know so you can select the right foods at the grocery store and when eating out.

Whether you're doing it right depends on what you seek to achieve by this way of eating. Some on here follow Atkins and other diet plans, and they have rules as to what you can and can't eat. Others don't but do track their grams of carbs and keep them at various levels by choosing foods within those limits. Others do neither and just know what they can and can't eat. Some eat this way for medical reasons, like insulin resistance and diabetes, and others do so just to lose weight. What about you?

There is a lot of sugar in some of condiments you named, which is why many of us make our own.

I don't know if there is a limit on Splenda consumption. But FYI there are many other sweeteners out there that you might want to try if you are in this for the long haul.

People put butter and sometimes coconut oil in their coffee because the fat is very filling and helps them not snack between breakfast and lunch. It's called bulletproof coffee.

Low carb does not mean you can't eat processed foods, but many on this board do avoid processed foods. Can you eat Jello? I don't know what the diet plans say about that, but the aspartame in sugar free Jello can spike insulin levels in some people, just like sugar. I've read that if you drink aspartame-sweetened foods you should eat some protein along with it to blunt that effect.

People who eat low carb just to lose weight often keep it simple as far as what they eat -- proteins and green vegetables and eggs are their staples. Others, including me, eat this way as a way of life, and we like to branch out from those basics because they can get boring. There are lots of recipes on here for all kinds of foods, including breads and desserts.

Good luck to you!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
I'd recommend reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR).
It will answer your questions.

Good Luck.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
SissyZ!

If what you are doing is working for you, than keep doing it and don't worry about what other people are doing.

It is a journey for most of us and when I first started low carb (Atkins), I followed the plan by the book. Since then, I have come to realize that for me, food quality makes a big difference. I have also come to understand that a high fat/low carb way of eating is what suits me.

There are a million and one variables so don't allow those to confuse you. Keep reading and questioning. That is key in my opinion.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
SissyZ!

If what you are doing is working for you, than keep doing it and don't worry about what other people are doing.

It is a journey for most of us and when I first started low carb (Atkins), I followed the plan by the book. Since then, I have come to realize that for me, food quality makes a big difference. I have also come to understand that a high fat/low carb way of eating is what suits me.

There are a million and one variables so don't allow those to confuse you. Keep reading and questioning. That is key in my opinion.
Totally agree with this. You might want to read Dr. Atkins and I would also recommend Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat. Educating yourself is important. So YOU know why you are doing what you are doing.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Gallery: FatCat
Start Date: Oct. '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Crayon View Post

Good Luck.
I agree.

Please don't wing it. From your post, it seems that you've got some confusion as to what to eat and why. You can usually pick up a book at a used book store for just a couple of dollars. Atkins might not be the plan for you, but reading it will give you a good head start on how to lose weight, and to understand a LC way of eating.

When you go to the store to pick out foods, the best thing you can do is to look on the label on the back of whatever you are picking out. Read how many carbs it has....you'll be amazed at how much sugar is added to everything!

Knowledge is the key to losing....knowing what to eat, what affects your loss.

Welcome to the site! And don't be afraid to post questions.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mephy
Stats: 155/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: August 2002
Welcome!

When I first began, I read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution from cover to finish. It's not a very long read and really opened my eyes (Google "Atkins New Diet Revolution"). The best thing to do in the beginning is to take a very methodical approach and at least have basic understanding of the why's and how's. It's the best recipe for success, IMO.
mephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SissyZ
Stats: 218/198/175
Start Date: September 2014
Thank you!

Thanks, all, I take your advice very seriously.

You are absolutely right, I am 'winging' it. I do not know what I am doing, I only know that a restricted meal plan, or counting calories, would not work for me.
I like what is happening with low carb, I eat less food, the sugar cravings are slowly disappearing, (still not entirely gone), and I am losing pounds.

I will get the book you have recommended. I will see if I can buy it for my Kindle.

You mentioned that there was a better choice for sweetner than Splenda, I would like to know what it is, I see posts about all kinds of them, but I wonder if Splenda is why I still have sugar cravings?

I do want to understand why I am doing what I'm doing, I will start becoming more informed by reading that New Revolution book!
Thanks again!
SissyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Regarding sweeteners, you might want to check out the sugar alcohols, of which erythritol is my personal favorite, and stevia.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
I picked up two copies of DANDR- Dr.Atkins New Diet Revolution at a thrift store for 25 cents each.
I love the book because I can flip back and forth very easily. I just enjoy flipping pages instead of reading electronically. It's the type of book that explains everything and how and why this works. You can open it at any point and read a certain topic and it makes perfectly good sense because of the way it's written. In other words it does not read like a novel. So many good topics, a carb counter section, recipes, tips and tricks for eating low-carb. It's a great book and written by Atkins himself.
Meme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Etoile*Noire
WOE: No starches and sugars; less than 50 carbs per day
Start Date: 23 February 2009
I was able to get a copy of Atkins' book on my Kindle from my library.
Etoile*Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/139/149
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Crayon View Post

Good Luck.
I agree
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
I think its important to remember that a lot of what you see here on the forum is for those who are further along in their WOE and these "tweaks" may or may not work for you. Some increase their fat in order to lose better (butter in coffee) but that doesn't work for everyone. I'm definitely in the low carb/lower fat realm as high fat doesn't help me lose. I think you should read up on Atkins as suggested and stick to the plan as written without getting sidetracked by the tweaks and additions that people do here on the forum....at least not until you're further along. I know I got sidetracked by all the "legal" tweaking when I first started. Now I just have my plan and I stick to it as I know what works for me. Good Luck!

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote