Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emtems
Stats: 216/189/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Flu symptoms starting late in Induction?

Hello everyone:
I've gone off and on low carb several times in the past few years. Each time I've gone through induction I was lucky enough to not have extreme flu like symptoms. Occasionally I would have headaches and feel fatigued but nothing beyond that. Well, I'm on day 11 of this induction and yesterday I started feeling really crummy. My throat start getting sore and I had a terrible headache. I woke up last night and my sore throat was terribly painful. My head feels like it's in a vice and my whole body is achey. I'm also very tired. I can only assume this is the dreaded atkins flu I've heard about but never experienced first hand. However, I'm confused that these symptoms are springing up so late into my induction. From everything I've read most people experience them in the first few days. Has anyone ever experienced what I'm going through? Is this a good sign or a bad sign that it's happening later on? I'm worried I might've consumed hidden carbs and that's why my body is reacting this way. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Emtems is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
I hate to tell you this-but you may actually have the flu. I don't think a sore throat is an energy transition symptom, but every time I had good old fashioned influenza it started just like that-sore throat, headache, energy fluctuations, deep joint and muscle ache and super sensitive skin-if that sounds familiar, you might want to drink some chicken broth and buy NyQuil.....
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
It sounds like the flu to me too. Make sure to buy sugar free meds...
Good advise from Jackie to drink chicken broth.
Maybe make a big pot of soup with a while chicken and throw in whatever veggies, herbs, salt and pepper you like with it and let it cook slowly for a couple of hours.
Then you'll have it if you don't feel like cooking for a while.
Meme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emtems
Stats: 216/189/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
I hate to tell you this-but you may actually have the flu. I don't think a sore throat is an energy transition symptom, but every time I had good old fashioned influenza it started just like that-sore throat, headache, energy fluctuations, deep joint and muscle ache and super sensitive skin-if that sounds familiar, you might want to drink some chicken broth and buy NyQuil.....
I was concerned it might actually be the flu as well, but I am not congested or experiencing skin sensitivity. My temperature is normal as well. I've read other low carb forums where others were
experiencing sore throats during induction but they all had their symptoms early on in Induction.
Emtems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Only reason I can think how is if you were doing something wrong in the beginning that has now changed so you are in (deeper) ketosis. If not then I doubt it's that.

It is probably just regular flu. Fever doesn't always come with it, I rarely get fever.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
I have had "induction flu" symptoms appear later. The first time I did LC, it happened on day three and I eventually got past it. I have had a few failed restarts lately and I have made it to about the one week mark before having symptoms. I think that may be part of what derailed me. I was not expecting to feel like crap after a week or so.

That said, I am now on day 10 so hopefully I will stay on track this time.

I never heard of sore throat as a symptom. You may be coming down with a virus even if it is not the actual flu.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote