Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
What's your latest and greatest LC discovery?

By discovery, I mean anything from a new product you love, to a new recipe, to an aha! moment about your woe.

I'll start. For me, I need variety in what I eat. Some like to keep it simple and comfortably eat the same things over and over again. That would not be me. I've treated my LC woe like a good hobby, always searching for new LC treats and tasty options.

So here's my latest and greatest:

---Grilling cheese! You can microwave or fry or grill any cheese, but thanks to this site, I've found there are cheeses that are particularly good for that and are actually classified as grilling/frying cheese. I bought some and fried it up w/a bit of butter, and then made a topping of 1/4 cup of blackberries mashed up w/a splash of Toriani's sugar free vanilla. OMG.

---Bacon's Heir Pork rinds. The lightest, crispiest, best pork rinds evah! Made w/olive oil. SO GOOD.

---And on that note, poster "meme's" oven fried chicken w/pork rind coating. Just cover chicken parts WITH SKIN with mayo, roll in crushed pork rinds and bake at 400 for about an hour. De-freaking-licious. Who knew you could have GREAT carb free fried chicken?!?

---Finally, on the "mind side" it's fall and I feel like exploring new things. I was thinking the other day that the only thing that can stop me from being successful in making this a lifestyle is my failure to explore and broaden all the great things I CAN eat, instead of bemoaning those I can't.

So what say y'all? What is your latest LC discovery?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kauaimom
You!
kauaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaimom View Post
You!
Hi sweetie! Gosh I've missed you being on our thread more often since BTS time. And I must say that YOU have been an inspiration to me. I think you're a good and practiced cook and you have an eye for good LC things.

In fact, today I bought a cabbage head and I'm going to try the sliced cabbage in olive oil and salt and pepper that you linked us to, oven "fried." The comments said it was unbelievably sweet and good. Can't wait.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/212/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Just discovered easy ways to microwave eggs lol.

Miracle Noodles: Shirataki Noodles... yummy.
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BumbleStang
Stats: 239/203/165
WOE: Protein Power, switched to Atkins 1/1/14
Start Date: 6/14/13
My latest "no-time-to-cook-so-I'll-just-throw-a-bunch-of-stuff-together" creation - Some shredded Costco rotisserie chicken + coleslaw mix + mayo + sugar-free bbq sauce wrapped in a low carb tortilla = de-friggen-licious (I will be trying this again this weekend with canned chicken breast)

I also saw a suggestion on here to soak hard-boiled eggs in green olive juice which I tried and give two thumbs up! Makes for a very tasty egg salad!
BumbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Blue Skies, I love your attitude and approach to low carb. I, too, try to treat it like a hobby and I am always trolling for new recipes and ideas.

One product I love is Guy's low carb BBQ sauce -- DH and I love it. It tastes like regular BBQ sauce yet is super low carb and you can buy it right at Netrition.

The other one is that we both love main dish salads from California Pizza Kitchen and I found ways to make our two favorites (Italian Chopped Salad and BBQ Chicken Salad) very low carb while still maintaining great flavors.

I also found a way to enjoy one of my favorite cocktails, vodka gimlets, and still lose weight. Just make a low carb simple syrup by boiling one cup of water and then adding two packets of Splenda. Let cool and put in the fridge for a bit. Mix one ounce of that with one ounce of vodka and one ounce of fresh lime juice in an icy cold glass and you have a cocktail that is 70 calories and only 1 carb.

I love cookbooks from George Stella and Dana Carpenter and there is a really great website called "All Day Long I Dream About Food" that also has fabulous recipes. Linda Sue's site is great too. There is so much information out there on how to prepare low carb food and follow the diet -- so we are very fortunate.

Hope everyone has a great day today.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Great thread Blue Skies!!

My most adored food idea is bacon onion rings! They are simple and delectable. Take thickly sliced onion slices (separated) and brush with srirachi sauce and then wrap a bacon slice around it. Place on tray and cook at about 400F for around 20 minutes. Friggin fantastic!!!

Last time I made these, I also made bacon wrapped shrimp. Here is a pic! Hmmm, I may have to change my dinner plans.....

I just finished 'Big Fat Surprise' which I would highly recommend and not long ago, Jimmy Moore's 'Keto Clarity'. The latter I would highly recommend to someone fairly new to the game of ketosis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bacon onion rings and shrimp.jpg (56.8 KB, 95 views)

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 09-13-2014 at 06:36 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Honestly, I am a lazy cook and rarely try new things. I don't find simple whole foods boring so I am lucky.

That said, I might head over to Cathy's place for dinner! I have no problem eating new things someone else has cooked!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Deb, dinner is at 6!!

Really, the bacon onion rings and shrimp are as simple as can be. 3 ingredients and I am sure you could leave out the srirachi sauce and would still get a delectable meal!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

wow, checked in here and so many great discoveries already. I'm making a list.
Thanks gals. Looking forward to more.

Kay9---So how do you microwave eggs and why do you like 'em that way? Easy?

Bumblestang---YUM. Would never have thought of combing those things but it sounds DELISH---w/or w/out the LC wrap.

Gaily Gail---I think we have very similar taste buds. I LOVE Guy's BBQ
sauce and I love a Gimlet. I've been making mine LC by just adding a squirt of lime and a drop of ezweetz. Close, but doesn't sound as good as yours. On my list it goes!

clackley---Had heard about the bacon onion rings, but not brushing w/hot sauce ---mmmmm. I could also brush w/my beloved spicy Guy's BBQ sauce. Will be making these SOON. Your pix are always so appetizing and inspirational.

Also going to order "Big Fat Secret" today. Been meaning to and now w/your comment and the thread here on cancer prevention w/the ketogenic diet defined as HIGH FAT, moderate protein and LC, I feel even more motivated to read it. Will check out Keto Clarity too.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

LOL, "combining" those ingredients as opposed to "combing them." Your idea is much better.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Well, in addition to keto, my biggest discoveries have been fat fasts and egg fasting - both as tools.
  • 1 day fat fast after any higher carb day to restore my ketosis and suppress appetite
  • I like egg fasts as ways to jump start or accelerate weight loss
But, my aha moment was:

These are not diets, but they are tools to be used as part of my lifelong diet!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/227/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
I've discovered that most chicken tenders don't have enough carbs to throw off my diet! Been eating chicken from Zaxbys or Hardee's about once a week. Still really miss fries though....but not enough to want to buy larger clothes!
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Everything tastes better with.....BUTTER
Seriously people, no wonder most folks don't like veggies. They are trying to eat them and be low fat. Yuck!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/248/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
Double cream (or clotted cream or Devonshire cream). I mix it with cocoa powder to make mousse, and melt it with cheese to make cheese sauce. I think it should be called crutter, because it is essentially a cross between cream and butter. So good! Though a bit pricey...
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
My aha moment came when I realized I can get all my proteins from non animal souces along with fats and carbs with fiber. Lots of color on the plate!
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 317/280/130
Start Date: June 2014
Hoods Calorie Countdown Chocolate Dairy Beverage - very low carb and SO YUMMY! If anyone wants to look for it, the only place I have found it so far has been Walmart. None of my local grocery stores in Florida seem to carry it.
Strawberry Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCShan
Stats: Lost 22 lbs... 20 to go.
Start Date: April 16, 2014
Blue Skies, I too am always looking to try new LC recipes. I've always been a foodie and would not be able to do this woe if I didn't cook different recipes. Can't wait to try the pork rinds you mention, and I've been wanting to do that fried chicken recipe.

Gail, I am missing my beef since I all but cut it out. I'll have to try your cocktail instead and see if I can drink that without stalling! Also, I've been missing BBQ sauce so will have to try Guy's.

Clackey, bacon wrapped onion rings are on my list to try.

Thanks for all the ideas, and thanks Blue Skies for starting this thread.

My most recent thing I've finally tried is OMMs. Have done a plain one for a cheeseburger. And tonight I did a chocolate one... smeared some of my cream cheese fluff on it, and it was delicious! I also like oopsie rolls with bacon, egg, and cheese on them. Makes me not feel deprived when my coworkers are eating biscuits.
LCShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleStang View Post
My latest "no-time-to-cook-so-I'll-just-throw-a-bunch-of-stuff-together" creation - Some shredded Costco rotisserie chicken + coleslaw mix + mayo + sugar-free bbq sauce wrapped in a low carb tortilla = de-friggen-licious (I will be trying this again this weekend with canned chicken breast)

I also saw a suggestion on here to soak hard-boiled eggs in green olive juice which I tried and give two thumbs up! Makes for a very tasty egg salad!
Checking in a bit late to tell you that I tried your recipe tonight, Bumble stang. SO DARN GOOD. I shredded a rotisserie chicken, added cabbage, mayo, celery, onions and Guy's Spicy LC BBQ sauce, then wrapped it all in low carb tortillas. I think it's the extra crunch of the cabbage and the addition of BBQ sauce that makes this "chicken salad" so outstanding and different.

This will be a regular at our house. Tonight I fed hubby, son and friend and me for I figure about $12. That's $3 a piece and cheaper than any drive through, fresh tasting and whole. They all loved it, didn't even realize they were eating LC tortillas, LOL.

LC doesn't have to be expensive or hard. This took about 15 minutes to make. Thanks a bunch for this great recipe, and I recommend y'all try it.

Also, want to add to my recent discoveries. Thanks to a poster on another thread I discovered you can make a LC creme brûlée, who knew? Can't wait to try it. Find it here along with all kinds of good ideas for LC custard and Flan.

Low Carb Custard Recipes

So excited about this thread and all the great ideas I'm getting. We can all eat so well on LC. Might take a tad more effort than our old carb days, but man, is it rewarding, in so many ways.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and one more thing I didn't mention. I've got leftovers, enough for another two delish wraps.

also…

TheBigKahuna---I don't like fast food chicken ANYTHING. But I DO really like Hardees thick burger in a lettuce wrap. BEST fast food LC burger out there if you ask me.

sbarr---Love the idea of "tools" as opposed to anything "diet." Yes. Things we pull out of the tool bucket when we need to. No need for deprivation. One day on an egg fast in answer to a high carb day is NOT a diet.

Cfine---Amen. Everything tastes better w/butter. For instance, broccoli all by itself for me, not so much. Add some butter and a sprinkle of salt and it becomes darn good.

Willgirl---Wow, your post is so serendipitous for me. Was just looking at some Devonshire cream at a gourmet deli the other day, wondering what to use it for. And then along you come today to tell me. Thanx. Sometimes things are a bit more expensive, but then we don't have to eat them every day right?

Nothing to say we can't have LC treats now and then that cost a bit more. After all, have y'all noticed the price of an ice cream cone these days?! So we're NOT doing that, leaves a bit of space for what we CAN do.

Strawberry Fields ---will keep my eyes peeled for this.

LC Shan - gotta try those OMM's. SO much to try and explore! The possibilities on a LC woe are truly endless.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Blue, How did I miss this thread?
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:30 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BumbleStang
Stats: 239/203/165
WOE: Protein Power, switched to Atkins 1/1/14
Start Date: 6/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Checking in a bit late to tell you that I tried your recipe tonight, Bumble stang. SO DARN GOOD. I shredded a rotisserie chicken, added cabbage, mayo, celery, onions and Guy's Spicy LC BBQ sauce, then wrapped it all in low carb tortillas. I think it's the extra crunch of the cabbage and the addition of BBQ sauce that makes this "chicken salad" so outstanding and different.

This will be a regular at our house. Tonight I fed hubby, son and friend and me for I figure about $12. That's $3 a piece and cheaper than any drive through, fresh tasting and whole. They all loved it, didn't even realize they were eating LC tortillas, LOL.
Thank you for the feedback! I made another batch today with canned chicken. It would work in a pinch but the rotisserie chicken version was much better! Onions and celery are excellent ideas... even more flavor & crunch! I will try adding those in my next batch.

I need to find some Guy's BBQ sauce and Devonshire cream.
BumbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #23
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Turkey sausage! While I'm cool with eating regular sausage & bacon, the brand I pick up has fewer carbs per serving than its pork-version sister. Plus it tastes sweet. I use it in cheddar/salsa scrambles, and use sour cream as a dip.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 228/211/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Ongoing
Red onions. I never buy them because they cost more but the farm that I go to sometimes for certain things was selling their own cute red onions. I like them because they are not as hot as regular whites and they look beautiful in a salad. I also have used them for cooking a little, too. Not a recipe, but I have discovered them and as long as I can get them without spending an arm and a leg, those will be the ones I choose.
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Not so exciting perhaps, but I've grown to really savor the crunch of cucumbers and radishes/daikons. My appreciation for radishes has never been much until lately and they have grown in my estimation.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/197
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Strawberry - I live in Florida and find hoods low carb milk at Wal-Mart, Publix and Winn Dixie...I live in Port Charlotte Fl.
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

BumbleStang---not surprised the canned chicken wasn't as good as the rotisserie, and I bet you're not either. But your's is a recipe that can feed several people for very little, even with a rotisserie chicken. I loves it!

SugarFreeSheila---I really need to try Turkey sausage. I have always associated it w/low fat woes, and not a huge turkey lover, but I'm OK w/it. But it is true that red meat sausage does have a surprising amt of carbs, and sodium. I like what you said about it being "sweet." Another thing added to my list of things to try. Thanx.

Maeve---Red onions ARE gorgeous in salads. Glad you found a place you can get them at a price that agrees w/you. Question. Have you ever tried shallots?---Hybrid of onion and garlic. mmmmmmm. Check 'em out---both raw and sliced thin in salads or sautéed in butter.

Patience---I SO get what you're saying! And actually, imo, it IS quite exciting to really taste the glory of things like cucumber and radishes. When I had all those carbs to keep me company I was not able to really appreciate the wonder of things like cucumber and radish. Now I can't believe what I was missing.

Made a tuna salad the other night, and put it on romaine w/peeled sliced cucumbers, hard boiled eggs, and sliced black olives, WITH my creamy red wine vinegarette dressing. (olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, fresh minced garlic and mayo---shake it all up and it becomes a bit more creamy than a reg vinegarette, so yummy, and so easy peasy. Really, NEVER settle for a bottled dressing unless you have to.) And it was the fresh taste of the cucumber that really struck me, and took it from just another tuna salad salad to something special. Maybe next time I'll add radishes too!

So this has been a fall weekend full of trying new things for me. First, last night, BumbleStang's most excellent recipe. Tonight, for the first time, I roasted green beans in olive oil, salt, pepper and a bit of anise seed at 400 for about 30 minutes.

Holy moly people, you CANNOT believe how good these critters are. Who knew a green bean could be so crispy, caramelized and delicious?!? As a gal who reveres french fries, I gotta tell you, these are just as good, and that's saying something from me. Going to work on the perfect dipping sauce for these.

Again and again, we really can eat SO well on this woe---with a little help from our friends on this site who have pointed me to so many excellent things.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I absolutely love your posts Blue!

so positive and inspiring for sure!

not a discovery yet, but I am going to scope out new lc soups to add to my menu and make it more diverse instead of just my usual broth
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Blue, thank you for sharing that creamy red wine vinaigrette dressing -- that sounds divine. I completely agree about how fabulous homemade salad dressings are -- super easy to make and so much tastier than the bottled kind. Tony and I frequently eat main dish salads for dinner -- so tasty and a great way to stay on low carb and get all your nutrients -- and with a good homemade dressing, I never crave carbs during the meal.

Over the past few days, we made a Dijon red wine vinaigrette for our Italian Chopped Salad and a Herb Buttermilk Ranch for the BBQ chicken salad. Both recipes are low carb and from the California Pizza Kitchen cookbook -- and both have incredible flavor. I can also recommend making a homemade Green Goddess dressing for fresh shrimp salads and homemade blue cheese that Tony eats with chicken wings.

Two things I love about eating low carb -- I eat 99% fresh whole foods (vegetables, salad and protein) so my body feels better and it encourages me to cook more frequently, which I really enjoy. Cooking is an expression of creativity and love when you cook for people you care about.

Last edited by GailyGail; 09-15-2014 at 04:22 AM..
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/129/125
WOE: Atkins'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
I am still exploring all of the uses of flax seed meal. Made pancakes this morn. mmm mmm

Love the idea of treating LC as a hobby... I've been taking photos of some of my food and posting it on my flickr account. It keeps this WOE interesting for me somehow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138915...7647435266051/

Great thread.

Last edited by werkn'it; 09-15-2014 at 07:46 AM..
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote