Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shannansgroove
Start Date: 8/18/14
Sugar in vegetables?

Hello, I joined last week. I've been logging my food onto another popular app because it recognizes everything I either scan or type in and gives a full break down of the food and you can log excersize. According to them cauliflower has sugar in it. Around 1 sugar shows up per 1-2 oz. Should I be concerned? I haven't been losing like I feel like I should and I wonder if this is why. How many sugars are allowed in order to get into and stay in ketosis? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Shannansgroove; 09-01-2014 at 08:40 AM..
Shannansgroove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
All vegetables have naturally occurring sugars. What you need to watch the labels for is added sugar
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Oh,ok. I was really worried about that! So the sugar in veggies isn't too big of a deal then? I don't usually have more than 3-6 sugars show up in my veggies, I just didn't want them to be the reason that I'm not losing like I should.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It's the carb count you should be concerned with because, as Dottie explained, vegetables (and other foods) have naturally occurring sugar that's not significant.

There are all sorts of online programs (free) that will give you the carb count of any food item.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
Which plan are you doing?
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I have been using the phase 1 acceptable foods list and have been going by that, I was just surprised when the sugar showed up and thought that I was doing something wrong. So for instance chayote has 5 carbs 2 fiber and 2 sugars per serving. I only need to count the 3 carbs and don't count the sugar. Sorry if I seem dense, I'm just trying to follow this diet to the T. Thanks so much!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
Administrator

Well it gets confusing
If you're on Atkins, which version? Some use full carb count (so you'd count 5g carbs in the example you gave) and some use "net" carbs (you'd use 3g "net" carbs from your example).
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I am following Atkins loosely. I am using their food list as a way to keep track of the carbs, protein and fats I should take in to stay in ketosis. I have been subtracting fiber from carbs. I don't eat any of their snack bars or any of the other things they are selling. I've tried to keep my carbs at about 5%, fat around 60% and protein around 30%. I'm keeping my calories around 1600. The first week I didn't lose anything at all, but soon realized I needed to pay closer attention to labels. The fine print tells you about sugars, starches, etc. that aren't on the daily % list. I guess it made me 'sugar shy'. Would I be better off not subtracting fiber grams just to be safe?

Last edited by Shannansgroove; 09-01-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
There's no such thing as free sugar. Sugar is sugar, whether it comes to you from processed foods, milk, fruits, or vegetables, it'll be stored as glycogen. I've absolutely kicked myself out of ketosis with a large bowl of spinach leaves, peppers, and onions.
Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Z, I'll keep that in mind moving forward. I guess I should probably test myself to see how many natural sugars I can consume before it affects my ketosis. I'll try cutting cauliflower out for a few days and see if that makes a difference. Also garlic and onion powder...(sad).
Old 09-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Russell1974
Stats: 5'8" - 361/262.4/161
WOE: high fat/low carb
Start Date: 5/1/2009
Be aware that spices may have some carbs, especially if you are adding a lot for flavor.

Otherwise, I think you are doing fine. 5 % carb, 60 % fat, and 30 % protein is very close to the ratio I consume. except I consume more carbs, and less protein by 5 percentage points. So in theory, you are following it better than I am.

I would suggest that you post a day's menu, because your macro breakdown is fine, and maybe it is one particular food. I admit to being baffled as to why a 5/60/30 ratio does not result in weight loss, even if protein is a bit high. One of the biggest culprits I have seen is low carb products. Others are sugar alcohols, sugar free foods, and of course, diet pop. Naturally occurring sugars that I DO worry about are in fruit ( fructose ), and cheese ( lactose ). If I eat any sizable amount of either, despite them being low in carbs, I stall.

Hope you figure it all out. Over the years, I have been amazed at what is in the food we eat, and what will cause a stall, and how other foods which should, do not. My theory is test every food except meat/fish/fowl, and fats like mayo/butter/oil. I even tested leafy greens, and eggs. First step though, is to start losing weight, and get to the point where you have a base of foods that allow weight loss.. so you have a base to add to.

weight on 9/1 - 280.2

current weight: 262.4
Russell1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Administrator

This thread is an "oldie but goodie" from the Atkins Center that may give you some insight
Some thoughts and reminders from the Atkins Center...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

You know, I was drinking diet coke when I started two weeks ago and just had my last one Thursday! I also push the limits one cheese! I love cheese! Now that you mention it, I just noticed a weight loss a Saturday morning I think. Could be coincidence but I'm gonna lay off of those for the week as well as the things I mentioned before and see what happens. Cheese will be the hardest of all... I joined this group last thurday and everyone has been really kind and helpful! If anyone has anything to add please by all means, keep it coming!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Z
Senior LCF Member

To be clear -- you don't have to cut everything that contains some form of carbohydrate, it's just good to stay informed as to the carb content of everything you eat so that you can make informed decisions.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I find that most people do lose quite well when the eat meat/fish/fowl, along with eggs, butter/oil/mayo.. and then get their veggies from the 2-4 cups of green leafy, or salad veggies, and NOTHING else. Only water, or decaffeinated tea/coffee.

It is very strict, but you cannot start testing foods, if you are already stalled. So while cheese is allowed, I found that I can have 2-4 ozs during a week ( not on consecutive days ), or I stall. So most of the time, I do not eat cheese at all.

I would try just the basic foods for 2 weeks, and establish some weight loss, and there will be plenty of time to test all the foods, and build a larger " acceptable foods " list at a later date. Right now you are stalled, and might have 4-5 foods that are causing it, but you are being told by others that they are fine, and maybe they are.. FOR THEM.

By cutting back to the basics, you should lose weight, and after losing 5-10 lbs. you know that base works, and can then start testing one food at a time, and building that list up, so you have more variety.

Cheese was very hard for me too. I love extra sharp cheddar, bleu cheese, and feta. I find it hard to limit myself to 2-4 ozs. a week though, expecially when they come in 8 oz packages, so I find it easier to just remove the temptation completely.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flinderella
Stats: <private>
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
You have to count ALL sugar as carbs, natural or not! I restrict tomatoes/sweet peppers for this reason. Carb-free/low carb things are things like eggs/cheese/olives/MEAT/Fish...

There are lots of lists online if you search - I check every food wrapper, because even different salads vary massively in how much carbohydrate they contain and when you're trying to keep to induction levels (or even just 'low'/below 50g) every gram adds up.
flinderella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:10 AM   #17
Administrator

Yes, all carbs count, but the confusion over naturally occurring sugars(that are intrinsic to the food itself) and sugars that are added in the manufacturing process(like some canned tomato products) needs to be defined.
In the OPs question, the cauliflower doesn't have added sugars, only the naturally occurring ones.
Naturally, some vegetables are higher in carbs than others, that's defined in the "allowed foods" list on most plans.
Her question "should I be concerned": no, it's naturally part of the carbs you count, it's not like you're adding additional carbs/sugars.
Now if you sprinkled some sugar on it, then there's concern
But as long as it's "just" an allowed veggie and you're eating within your carb limits, then it's nothing to worry about

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Yes, all carbs count, but the confusion over naturally occurring sugars(that are intrinsic to the food itself) and sugars that are added in the manufacturing process(like some canned tomato products) needs to be defined.
In the OPs question, the cauliflower doesn't have added sugars, only the naturally occurring ones.
Naturally, some vegetables are higher in carbs than others, that's defined in the "allowed foods" list on most plans.
Her question "should I be concerned": no, it's naturally part of the carbs you count, it's not like you're adding additional carbs/sugars.
Now if you sprinkled some sugar on it, then there's concern
But as long as it's "just" an allowed veggie and you're eating within your carb limits, then it's nothing to worry about
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

I'm getting a LOT of good info here, thank you for that. So I gut the naturally occurring sugar being different than adding sugar. If it's naturally occurring as Finderella says, should I just add that to the carbs that the cauliflower already shows up as? My app says 2 carbs and 1 sugar. Do I count that as 3 carbs or keep the count as it is and ignore the 1 sugar that it posts? Thanks again to all who have replied. I'm gonna get this thing figured out!

Last edited by Shannansgroove; 09-02-2014 at 08:58 AM..
Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
The sugar is already included in the carb count, so that would be 2 carbs for the example you cited.
emily1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe CarboNot
Stats: 233/178/ Hit Goal
WOE: Atkins by way of Medifast
Start Date: Sept 2013
Wait... Cheese is sometime "problematic"?
Ruh Roh!
Joe CarboNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #22
Z
Senior LCF Member

Some people choose to subtract the dietary fiber from the total carb count to get the "net carbs". This leaves you with sugar and starch - both of which are stored as sugar (glycogen).

These days I stick with total carbs, but I did alright back when I was staying below my target in net carbs.

I don't know the specifics of your plan, but mine is geared towards simplicity, because I hate math.

Read the label. Count the carbs per serving. Multiply by the amount you actually eat (because 2/3rds of a pickle spear is a silly serving size). Keep a running count. Stop before 20.
9/1/2014 266.8

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gotcha Z, I appreciate all of the info, but like you it might be best not subtract the fiber so that I'm sure I stay under. I halved a pickle today as a matter of fact! lol I guess it is gonna depend on the day and the mood as to how accurate I feel like being with the carbs and the fiber. Still I'm glad to be able to make an educated decision!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
So, not to derail, but this is just really interesting to me! Does this mean that some people do ketosis by staying under 20g TOTAL carbs per day and others stay in ketosis doing 20g NET carbs per day?
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoparty! View Post
So, not to derail, but this is just really interesting to me! Does this mean that some people do ketosis by staying under 20g TOTAL carbs per day and others stay in ketosis doing 20g NET carbs per day?
Yes, I do total carbs.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannansgroove View Post
I'm getting a LOT of good info here, thank you for that. So I gut the naturally occurring sugar being different than adding sugar. If it's naturally occurring as Finderella says, should I just add that to the carbs that the cauliflower already shows up as? My app says 2 carbs and 1 sugar. Do I count that as 3 carbs or keep the count as it is and ignore the 1 sugar that it posts? Thanks again to all who have replied. I'm gonna get this thing figured out!

It might be helpful if you posted some of your menus?
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Ok, so 2 weeks 3 days and still I've only lost 6lbs! You asked for a menu so here ya go:
Tuesday menu
Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs w/ salt 180 cals
Lunch: Grilled chicken breast 4.9 ozs 229 cals
Dinner: 1 cup spinach w/ butter, vinegar and lite salt 35 cals, 4 carbs
Chunk light tuna 5 oz 113 cals w/ mustard
Mt Olive pickle 1/2 10oz, 2 carbs
Snacks: Extra sharp white cheddar cheese 1.1 oz 121 cals, 1 carb
Almond breeze unsweetened 1 cup 30 cals, 1 carb
788 cals 8 carbs 40 fat 84 protein 2954 sodium 0 sugar

Not all days are like this, I have gone over my calories, protein, fat and sodium some days but I've kept my carbs in check either total OR net. The most often, I go over mt sodium. I was eating 3-4 oz of cheese every day but I've cut that down in the last 2-3 days.
Yesterday I had 1070 cals, 6 carbs, 62 fat, 105 protein, 2835 sodium, 0 sugar... Anyone see something I'm missing? Is it the sodium overload? Thanks
Old 09-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Are you for any reason eating low fat?
Low Carb is not meant to be low fat.

I would up your fat intake considerably: you are also eating way too few calories...
Your body is not going to release weight if you don't eat more IMO!

I would add mayo to the tuna, mayo to the chicken breast and mayo to the eggs, but I love mayo, LOL!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I am guessing almond breeze is fake milk?

I would get rid of that, up calories to 1200, and do so by adding LOTS of fat.

The higher the fat percentage, the faster you will lose. Atkins had a fat fast ( 90 % fat ), for people who struggled to lose ( no loss, not 6 lbs ). That works, because higher fat, means less carb and protein.

Also, yes.. cheese has lactose, and while natural sugar themselves aren't necessarily " bad ", compared to other carbs, but they should be tested. When you eat low enough carbs, and aren't losing, the problem is the foods you ARE eating.

So, while I think eating too few calories slows metabolism, you would still lose weight, and I would stop the cheese for a while, until you can get significant weight loss, and then re-introduce it. Cheese may not be a problem, but if you want to ensure weight loss, I would remove anything that COULD cause a stall.

Your meals are fine, although I would consider adding a few carbs to each. Carbs spike blood sugar less when eaten with fat and protein, than by themselves. Just advice, not sure how you eat them exactly. Maybe you already space carbs evenly. Plus you eat so few.

As far as the almond breeze, when you say 8 carbs, does that subtract sugar alcohols? Because not only would I count sugar alcohols, I stall when I consume them.. immediately. I stop losing weight for 3-4 days if I eat ANY sugar alcohols.

So my advice would be drop the cheese and almond breeze temporarily ( 2 weeks ), and up calories by adding fat.. Mayo to tuna, or olive oil to chicken THIGHS ( higher fat cut of chicken ), or have a slice of avocado with your eggs. Get the fat over 60 %, and I think you will see some weight loss, as long as you don't eat fake foods.

I know I may seem too strident about what to eat, but I am very sensitive to what I eat, and I have listened to so many people who try to add fake substitutes, instead of just replacing what they eat, and not get results.

I can only repeat that you should be eating eggs, butter, ,mayo, olive oil, avocados, meat/fish fowl, and non-starchy vegetables..nothing else. You can add many foods back in later, and know that they are " bad " by whether they stall your weight loss. First you need to start losing a few lbs a week.

If you drop 6 lbs in the next 2 weeks, then you can test whether the cheese is a problem, and the reset, and test the almond breeze. I am betting it is the almond breeze. I know that someone will come along with tales of wonderful weight loss on almond breeze, but they do so, from the position of someone who is losing weight, and may be less sensitive than you are.

Bare bones foods, and get results, and THEN start adding in all these other foods. Eat 1200 calories though.. you are making me hungry just readin 788 calories. I had 620 for breakfast..lol. Just so you know, calories don't matter either. I lose weight eating 1800 calories, or 2800. I eat till full. You won't be hungry eating high fat though. You will not overeat.

Hope to hear of some success soon. Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Almond breeze is not fake milk, but almond milk. It doesn't have any sugar alcohols and should be about 1 carb per glass for the unsweetened variety. I agree to up your fat and calories and lower your protein.

Last edited by mimivac; 09-04-2014 at 08:31 AM..
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote