Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jleighs
Stats: 175/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Close to goal experimentation

I don't post much but I read this forum all the time. It has been an invaluable resource for me!

I am 2lbs from my latest goal (original goal was 140), and I've been experimenting a bit over the last 3 months. At my highest weight, I was 196. I've allowed myself about 6 off-plan meals in the last 3 months (something I never permitted myself before), and I'm happy to report that it hasn't affected my weight loss at all. No slow-downs or weight gain. I've never claimed that I will never again touch carby foods, so I wanted to test the waters, so to speak. The one rule I gave myself was that I would NOT allow myself to become stuffed. Pleasantly full, yes. Uncomfortably full, no. I indulged in kettle corn, ice cream, pasta, egg rolls, and breaded items (not all at the same time! lol). I was particularly interested in the effects of these foods simply because I was so close to goal, and the general understanding is that the closer you get, the more carefully you have to watch it. I did not experience any negatives from these off-plan foods at all, in fact this morning the scale showed another 2.5/lb loss and I now need to purchase more jeans. Anyway, I just wanted to share.
Jleighs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Glad to hear how well it is working for you! I'm having a really hard time adding anything back in. I'm planning to stay pretty close to where I'm at with my eating, just add in more veggies and things like that....... but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Dr. Atkins was wise in his advice about climbing the 'carb ladder.' Many people who eat low carb for weight loss are not particularly carb sensitive and find they can add many foods and still maintain their weight.

Others (like me) are very carb sensitive and need to keep carbs low (for me about 25g max) for weight management. I don't eat much differently than I did when in weight-loss mode, although I will allow myself the occasional treat.

What works for one person will not necessarily work for another, and that's why each individual should try to identify his/her own CCL (critical carb level)--Dr. A's term for the maximum carbs the individual can eat without beginning to gain.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Leo, I agree, Dr Atkins was a genius! That's exactly how I plan on adding my carbs back in as well, I don't imagine I'll be able to climb too high on the carb ladder either.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I did do the carb ladder about 10 years ago when I first became aware of low carb. I felt better keeping carbs on the low end. I don't count net carbs, either, as that never worked very well for me. The WOE that I envision for myself is to keep carbs close to induction levels and occasionally allow myself an off-plan meal or dessert. That's what I've been testing. I'm quite happy eating this way as I enjoy cooking and get very creative in the kitchen (I don't mean low-carb substitutes for high carb things --just creative, low-carb meals). However, I know very well that I am occasionally going to want to eat something that isn't low carb. I wanted to see if I could do that without mentally and physically freaking out. So far, I've been successful.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jleighs-

I had a similar experience. When I did the 'ladder,' I learned that I'm very carb sensitive and really do best at about 20g max. However, my body seems to thrive at this carb level, and eating low carb is not a problem for me at all.

However, I, too, wanted to see if I could have the very occasional 'treat,' and I've found that I can do that and return to my basic WOE without any problems. I think this has helped me avoid any sense of deprivation because I know that I can always 'indulge' if I decide to do so.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Jleighs-

I had a similar experience. When I did the 'ladder,' I learned that I'm very carb sensitive and really do best at about 20g max. However, my body seems to thrive at this carb level, and eating low carb is not a problem for me at all.

However, I, too, wanted to see if I could have the very occasional 'treat,' and I've found that I can do that and return to my basic WOE without any problems. I think this has helped me avoid any sense of deprivation because I know that I can always 'indulge' if I decide to do so.
Yes, that is what I'm hoping to accomplish. I plan to tread very carefully with any off-plan foods because I don't want them to become a 'habit' again.