Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
How low?

I just read an interesting article about how low carb for a longgg period of time can cause people to not lose weight, lose menstral cycle and cause adrenal fatigue.

I am starting to wonder if I should add some carbs back into my plan, but in all honesty, I HATE them. I feel best in a state of ketosis and very low carb. I guess I am just wondering if people have staye under 20g for a long period of time and feel ok?

I increased my vegetable intake yesterday and I think I was up to 40 g of carbs ( mostly lettuce, broc, kale). I FELT HORRIBLE today and bloated.

I am sure it will go away now that I downed my 2 gallons of water.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I've been eating no more than 20g total carbs for close to two years (this time), and I have no plans to go higher. Ever.

I would question the motives of the article source, honestly.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

K- ty. I think I need to add some fat because I am struggling to feel good on just stillmans. Something is missing. Not going high fat because I tried that before but not going to increase carbs.

The other thing I am going to make sure I do not eat is canola oil--hidden in salad dressings and it bloats me. Dang- I am down to not much food these days.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Stillman's was never meant to be long-term.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
You are reading too much

every single person is different. some can go almost 0 carb and it makes them super healthy and fit and perfect. Others need to be in a range of say 30-40 total carbs per day to 'feel great' and live good.

you got to know YOU. what works for you.

articles are 'can cause', 'might effect'----well it is generalized. this is about YOU and you need to find what works for you and stick with it and then tweak if needed.

under 20 (more in the 10-15 net carb range) is where I feel best, have more energy, and feel more human and alive. I ''must'' be one of those more carb sensitive people (still trying to come to terms with that) but honestly the 'feelings' don't lie. the body tells me exactly where my 'feel cruddy' point is when it comes to carbs.

you tried more carbs and felt icky. now listen to yourself and do what you need to do for your personal body and all should be fine.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Trigger.

I need to work on trusting myself. I know 10-15 works best for me, so I will stick with it. Yes!!!!!! Totally agree- I read toooooo much.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'd like to second Trigger's excellent advice!

There're a lot of anti-low carb on the internet, so you need to beware of the sources of the 'information' you accept.

But, as Trigger points out, we really need to know ourselves and what works best for us individually. The good part of my hypothyroidism is that I have labs done regularly (every 4 months), and my superb blood values affirm the value of my low-carb WOE. Perhaps it might not work as well for someone else, but I'm only concerned with eating for my own health
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have been in keto for almost 5 yrs. this time round. If I added the 3 or so years of my first attempt, we could say 8 yrs. total.

I don't think you can read too much but I do think you need to develop your ability to suss out what is good information and what is speculation.

Stillman's may present more problems than you might be aware of because it is intended to be just a weight loss tool. It also may interfere with ketosis (if that is your aim) due to the amount of protein. If you are truly low carb as you describe, and low fat, you have to eat and that only leaves protein and being stillman's it would be lean protein. Your body will convert excess protein into glucose. This is not desirable in terms of staying ketogenic.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Actually, Stillman's done properly is very ketogenic. Although he doesn't 'promote' low calories, most people who do Stillman's plan find that because they are limited in both carbs and fat, they really can't manage too much food.

Yes, they are eating mainly protein, but few manage to even get to their minimum requirements because the 'plan' is so very limited--and satiating. Most can't stick with it for long, but those that do most often report eating only 600-800 cal a day. That low level of eating combined with the absence of carbs results in constant ketosis.

I'm not recommending Stillman's, and, as has been pointed out, it's intended only for the short term, but it's definitely ketogenic in its effect.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I'm also going to go with the YMMV. I don't believe there is one ideal diet for everyone. We are unique individuals with unique needs. So go with what feels good for you.

As a general rule, my carbs are around 10-15 most days. I'll eat vegies when I feel like it and on those days, my carbs go up to 25. I don't always feel like eating vegies...so I don't.

I'm with you on the 'learning to trust outselves'. If I had done that back when I first discovered Atkins in 1972, I would never have gotten to 330 pounds and I would not have been diabetic.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Peace! I think low carb is mans natural state. We don't NEED carbs but few are willing to say don't eat any. That's why I loved Barry Groves, he called. Plants don't want to be eaten either and can have some defense against that.

I agree with Cathy, no such thing as reading too much or I'd be guilty!! But, it is about knowing YOU. You seem to do better on mostly fish and very low carb. Listen to your body.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Peace! I think low carb is mans natural state. We don't NEED carbs but few are willing to say don't eat any. That's why I loved Barry Groves, he called. Plants don't want to be eaten either and can have some defense against that.

I agree with Cathy, no such thing as reading too much or I'd be guilty!! But, it is about knowing YOU. You seem to do better on mostly fish and very low carb. Listen to your body.
Hey lady!

Thanks so much. I am definitely best on fish and very low carb... glad you got it

I can eat chicken, but it seems to make me tired really fast... not sure what it is about it, but I am trying to cut back and stick with fish and eggs.

We will see.

Funny, on my business trip, I was limited on food so I was forced to not eat broccoli, cauliflower, or many other vegetables that I eat when I am home. Guess what?? NO BLOAT! So.. there is my answer, chicky.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

So. See, you DO have the answer. If that's what you feel better on, and you like it, done! Glad to see you posting again!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:12 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I didn't mean not to read about lc, of course reading up on all this is a good thing. but the conflicting info in the 'loose' lc articles are mind numbing. more I read the more confused I got sometimes.

the more I tried to find lc info, the more off track it was taking me. info overkill and definitely always remember to just work on you and keep 'you' in mind on how you feel.

That was interesting the chicken seems to make you tired. huh. that is one of my all time staples to eat.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Russell1974
Stats: 5'8" - 361/258/161
WOE: high fat/low carb
Start Date: 5/1/2009
I eat 6-8 chicken thighs a day, and while it pushes my protein pretty high, I find that as long as I keep my fat around 60 %, and carbs below 10 %, I do fine. I seem to function best around 40 g carbs - 20 fiber.

I do see some lack of energy at certain times of the day, but I do my workouts right after meals, so it isn't too bad. I would rather take a nap, than eat more carbs.
Russell1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Well, I might wager that a lot of meats don't want to be eaten either but they're not going anywhere from my diet. Same with plants! Although I do get the bloating complaints. But oh how I love my cruciferous veggies...
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I appreciate everyones feedback!~ Trigger I know what you meant.. no worries. Reading is good, but sometimes I get confused in the literature as well.

OK, why in the name of >>>> do I ache all over today from eating lots of chicken in 2 days. I don't get it. I think I just might have to stop it for one week and see how I feel. What is interesting is that when I was on vacation, I had some grill chicken from WF and felt totally fine. IN fact, pretty good actually. I come back to life and normalcy, had some chicken today and feel like my body went through torture. I also bought TJ chicken tenders and grilled on my own, but still felt crappy.

hmmm...

nano- I actually like the taste of chicken, but how I feel after is not fun. The other issue could be that I am eating TOOO much protein (chicken) and it is weighing me down.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So. See, you DO have the answer. If that's what you feel better on, and you like it, done! Glad to see you posting again!
I think you are so right on target about the FISH The only concern is how the heck am I going to get my nutrients in on just fish? It will be a bit of a struggle but I can do it. My body is worth it.

You always are so kind and make me smile. I appreciate that.

hope you are doing well
Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #19
Chatty Cathy

It is not just about 'getting nutrients' to be healthy. It is about having the ability to absorb them. Many are only fat soluble. That means that if you are not consuming much fat, you may be risking not getting basic nutrients.

The other issue with low fat is that the basis of building block of hormones, cell lining and brain. So if you are not consuming enough dietary fat, you are risking problems with these things.

When I say 'you', I am not addressing the OP but am using it as a generic 'you'.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Off topic, Ntombi, your new avi says, you are really doing fantastic!!! Congrats!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Peace, is there any fat that agrees with you? Because like Cathy said some vitamins and minerals need fat to be absorbed. I was using the Calton's powdered vitamins it's called nutreince. You mix it with water and they suggest taking it with a fish oil supplement or other oil.

I have quit drinking it because of the calcium and my thyroid meds. But, you might have to supplement if your dietary choices are limited. The chicken thing might just be quality. Maybe WF had a better quality chicken?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It is not just about 'getting nutrients' to be healthy. It is about having the ability to absorb them. Many are only fat soluble. That means that if you are not consuming much fat, you may be risking not getting basic nutrients.

The other issue with low fat is that the basis of building block of hormones, cell lining and brain. So if you are not consuming enough dietary fat, you are risking problems with these things.

When I say 'you', I am not addressing the OP but am using it as a generic 'you'.
Thank you! I understand that you are not singling me out and I appreciate that sooo very much.

Fat is healthy, I tell myself this alot lately. Just not tooooo much and the right kind..
Old 08-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Peace, is there any fat that agrees with you? Because like Cathy said some vitamins and minerals need fat to be absorbed. I was using the Calton's powdered vitamins it's called nutreince. You mix it with water and they suggest taking it with a fish oil supplement or other oil.

I have quit drinking it because of the calcium and my thyroid meds. But, you might have to supplement if your dietary choices are limited. The chicken thing might just be quality. Maybe WF had a better quality chicken?
Hi there

Yes, I like fatty fish like salmon. almond butter is fat that I like. Not a fan of oils though.. it actually is a struggle to not dry everything out in the microwave! I love dried everything.

For not having alot of oils, my skin is pretty healthy, no wrinkles and I never look dry. Must be the 2 gallons of water I drink everyday!