Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
Lots of stuff out there bashing Quest bars, fiber counts or not?

So...I still don't eat enough..I saw the guy who was checking blood sugars have zero reaction to quest, pretty much NO sugar alcohols, minimal ingredients, much more natural than Atkins bars, no tummy upset. So I ordered a variety, I'd love to be able to do on a day as a meal replacement at work.

However...online there are entire groups of diabetics that tested bs one hr later, some went up 30-50 one went up 200! One went lower. The consensus was it was not low carb.

Please, don't just tell me to eat cLean...I don't LIKE any food at all!!!! I'm not eating, but get headaches, need some protein, something light, quick, since lunch is 20 minutes. I don't cook either. I worked last night and forced myself to eat an Atkins Swedish meatball meal at 2am when I got off work. I don't like eggs much, because I love them poached on toast lol

So if I'm NOT diabetic, does that make a difference? If these were diabetics, the would be much more insulin resistant than your normal low carber. I'm one to get in ketosis in about 36-48 hrs, and stay there. Does THAT make a difference in the way the body handles the fiber.

Most diabetics were saying they count HALF the fiber when giving the insulin, where many lowcarbers count none.

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
It's so individual, the best thing would be to buy 1 and check your blood sugars for yourself to see if it's a problem for you
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

May I also mention I'm not losing super well like normal. I am losing, but slowly. I've lost 2 lbs in the last 10 days after a 2 week post first month stall. I'm eating 10-20 carbs a day, some less. If I go to a restaurant I'm sure I eat more in one sitting, and only meal of the day...like fish with bureau blanc, green beens or Greek salad...simple stuff, steak and salad...otherwise usually have 2 BPCs, and maybe an Atkins Shake, and a meat roll up and pickles or olives.
Food grosses me out, unless it's a restaurant, the. I'm happy to eat someone else's cooking!?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
It's so individual, the best thing would be to buy 1 and check your blood sugars for yourself to see if it's a problem for you
I don't have the machine, my bs is always great and A1C is perfect
Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Quest now makes 2 different types of bars. The first ones were sugar alcohol, and although I'm not diabetic, I process sugar alcohols much like sugar, so I was instantly out of ketosis and starving.

They now make a 'natural' bar with stevia and another sweetener, and I have no problems with these bars at all. I just got some yesterday from Netrition, and I keep them in the freezer for times I want a 'dessert.' I don't want to eat them regularly, but they make a nice treat.

So a lot depends on which one of these bars were being tested, it seems to me, because I had very different reactions to the two different types.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rugaroo
Stats: 241/206/140
WOE: Paleo Autoimmune
Start Date: june 3, 2014
Nursey, we're in the same boat. This is what I am going to do next payday.

I am going to get myself a box and ration out a day's worth of food. A baggie of nuts. Cheese sticks. Eggs. Whatever. And I am going to make sure it meets all of my macros and I will have to eat it. For me, I don't actually want food anymore. And to get up and make food that I don't want is such a pain that maybe if I have it readily available it will make it easier. I think that not eating regularly is likely causing my body confusion and slowing down the metabolism. I also get worn down mentally and trying to pull something together that is "safe" to eat under those conditions is stressful. So I will let you know how that works. Because we have to eat to lose.
rugaroo is offline   Reply With Quote