Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 726
Gallery: Ronnie51
Is this outdated information?

I'm not up on the latest information regarding nutrition; I only know that my BG is better controlled on a lower carb diet and that DH lost 25 lbs when he slashed the carbs. I logged onto my computer this morning and my home page....which is my Internet provider page....had this article at the top of the screen which caught my eye. Is this true? It said:

Stop Believing These Common Carb Myths

There are three misconceptions most people share when it comes to carbohydrates, but science is here to dispel the myths

Here are three things people often get wrong about carbs:

1. To lose weight, I need to cut carbohydrates.
Science says: It’s about calories. Eating foods low in carbohydrates won't guarantee weight loss unless you're cutting the amount of calories you consume daily. A recent review of 19 studies published in PLoS One found that overweight or obese subjects lost similar amounts of weight after following diets that were low carbohydrate (less than 45 percent of total calories) or balanced (45 to 65 percent of total calories).

Previous studies also suggest that adults with higher carbohydrate intakes actually weigh less than those with lower carbohydrate intakes. One study even found that those who consumed 47 to 64 percent of their total calories from carbohydrates —in line with current recommendations — had the lowest risk of being overweight or obese.

Choose small portions of healthful carbohydrate-rich foods (made with little added fat or sugar) like high-fiber whole grains (oats, whole wheat bread, brown rice or air-popped popcorn), fruits and vegetables, legumes and potatoes.

Limit refined grains — pasta, white rice, and white bread — to no more than two or three one-ounce equivalents daily. A one ounce-equivalent is half-cup pasta or white rice.

2. I don't need carbohydrates.
Science says: Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, the important fuel needed by your brain, red blood cells, your entire central nervous system and even your muscles. When you skimp on carbohydrates, your body uses stored body fat to generate glucose. That may sound great, but eventually going too low in carbohydrate for too long causes your body to use protein from food and your muscles to create glucose.

And if you use fat and protein to create glucose, they can’t be used to perform their many functions. According to the National Academy of Science’s Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA), minimum daily glucose needs can be met by consuming 130 grams (520 calories) of carbohydrates. The Institute of Medicine recommends 45 to 65 percent of total daily calorie needs from carbohydrate.

For someone who consumes 2,000 calories, that’s 900 to 1,300 calories daily.


Besides providing energy, carbohydrates supply your body with a steady stream of serotonin. This brain chemical, a type of neurotransmitter, helps regulate mood, appetite and sleep. When you eat carbohydrate-rich foods, your blood sugar level rises. This leads to the release of the hormone insulin. The insulin paves the way for the amino acid tryptophan to pass into the brain where it ultimately creates serotonin. Too little carbohydrate— and too little serotonin —can contribute to fatigue, irritability and other negative effects.

And if you run marathons or do other endurance activities, carbo-loading prior to events and supplementing during events can help meet nutrient needs and enhance performance. But it’s best to turn to a registered dietitian well versed in sports nutrition for advice about amounts and types of carbohydrates to ingest to meet your individual needs.

3. Carbohydrate-rich foods aren’t healthy.
Science says: Whole grains like oats, brown rice and even popcorn are rich sources of fiber that fill you up and support a healthy gastrointestinal system. Whole grains also supply the body with antioxidants to protect cells from damaging chemicals that contribute to aging and disease.

That’s right, carbs help slow aging.

Carbs provide:
•B vitamins, which help create energy from food and support a healthy nervous system.
•Iron, a mineral that carries oxygen throughout the body.
•Magnesium, a mineral that helps release energy from muscles and build bone.

While refined grains are not typically as nutritious as whole, they’re not as bad as you think. A 2012 review in Nutrition Reviews of 135 studies found no associations between moderate intake of refined grains and cardiovascular disease, diabetes, weight gain or even death.


Nutritionist Elisa Zied, R.D., is founder and president of Zied Health Communications, New York, and author of "Younger Next Week."
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Michread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/199/190 (11/1/14); 5'7", 51 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
I don't believe any of that is true. Watch this for the latest info (or read their books):

The FIRST few sentences by Volek are VERY important!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFD2q5iqevY
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!
 
AsmallerME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,706
Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
It's not outdated, it's just that there seem to be different doctors and studies that support different ways of eating. I don't agree with number 2. and 3. above, but 1. is true for me. I have to cut calories (and most importantly carbs), even when LC, to lose weight.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Michread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/199/190 (11/1/14); 5'7", 51 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
It is outdated because one diet does NOT work for all people which the statements above assume is correct for all people.

Watch Volek's latest video for the science being done to prove what works & doesn't for insulin resistant vs insulin sensitive people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwE
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!
 
snowangel9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boise
Posts: 5,395
Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Totally disagree with all of it. She's just towing the party line. I think the proof is in our nations total health epidemic. We've been the lab rats for some bad science and big egos. 'They' are wrong. Period.

Now, that's not to say that eating carbs can't work for some. But not the vast majority. I just finished The Big Fat Surprise. That was a good book, and worth the read.

I think they have to put out stuff like this to try and counter all the information that has and is coming out about how wrong the low fat diet is for most people. It's a push back, in my opinion.
__________________
Freedom isn't free

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 74,245
Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
It is outdated and appears to be skewed to support the SAD.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 726
Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michread View Post
I don't believe any of that is true. Watch this for the latest info (or read their books):

The FIRST few sentences by Volek are VERY important!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFD2q5iqevY
Can you be insulin resistant yet still have normal fasting insulin, high HDL and low to normal triglycerides?
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,801
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I don't think it's out dated, just one sided.
Like was stated, everyone is different. Those guidelines may work well for some.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 74,245
Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
The comments state "science says" and, to me, that makes it outdated because current science does not support the comments.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!
 
nurseypoo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 5,086
Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
That is someone who is NOT schooled in the art of lowcarb. They all talking out there...well ass. It's so obviously the older school of thought that low carbs bad. I don't count calories, but eat less than if I'm eating normally, you can't gorge on 2lbs of meat each meal, but with such a decrease in appetite a good 6 oz steak is more than satisfying, having three eggs instead of 2, etc. your fat is being burned for energy, you don't need the carbs...meat is changed to be utilized as energy etc...I'm sure Neanderthal man didn't get strong and work so hard starving because grains weren't available to him, berries, nuts and meat was how he rolled.
__________________
One saggy boob said to the other saggy boob:
"If we don't get some support soon, people will think we're nuts."

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
nurseypoo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 5,086
Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
It sounds like what a nutritionist would preach to you based on the food ladder the government pushes on the obese USA. How's that working for everyone? Not so much.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 479
Gallery: RyeBaby
Depends on who you ask. The majority of docs out there still tout a low fat, grain-based diet, but is that the best? Is the food pyramid still good science? Evidence suggests otherwise.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
Senior LCF member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,606
Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't think there's anything factually untrue in this, but it is clearly skewed to be anti-low carb. For example, she claims that if we rely on fat and protein to create the glucose our bodies need daily, 'they' [fat and protein] can't be used for their usual purposes, so we lose muscle, etc., etc.

What she conveniently ignores is that if MOST of our intake is fat and protein we have a sufficient amount for the needed glucose, and those macros can do their usual work as well.

By presenting factual information in this partial way to support her agenda, the writer can more easily 'prove' her thesis about the 'myths' of low carb. What irks me are these 'attacks' on specific eating plans--something that is also present here on this board.

We low carbers have to beware of making this WOE a 'religion' simply because it's what works best for our bodies. Former President Clinton, faced with increasing heart issues, has been successfully following the low fat eating plan by a doctor that has been demonstrated [via scientific studies] to improve the health of cardiac patients. There's probably no one more tested and checked than Pres. Clinton, and this WOE obviously helps him--much as low-carb eating is what my body thrives on.

If you read on Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint (as I do), there are many posters who are extremely anti-low carb. I ignore them--only because I know what's best for ME. Each of us has to find the right WOE for him/her self. But beyond that, I wish they'd shut up about how other people eat!

Last edited by Leo41; 08-22-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member
 
rugaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: phoenix
Posts: 53
Gallery: rugaroo
Stats: 241/212/140
WOE: lower carb/hydro-fitness/weight training
Start Date: june 3, 2014
If I were to follow the SAD, my body would suffer because I am insulin resistant and I was insulin resistant while very young and at a healthy weight. Given the climbing number of people who are now insulin resistant as a result of their diet, not because of genetics, I would say this information is now not only outdated, but dangerous when applied indiscriminately.
rugaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
Michread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/199/190 (11/1/14); 5'7", 51 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Can you be insulin resistant yet still have normal fasting insulin, high HDL and low to normal triglycerides?
Great question!

Yes, that's me! I don't know my fasting insulin but my HbA1c, HDL and triglycerides are all very good but this was tested after being on LCHF on & off for several years. I believe I'm insulin resistant because I have to go very low carb to lose any weight; that may be my age, gender and genes working against me.
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
solarpluvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 350
Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
As mentioned upthread, go read The Big Fat Surprise. I basically knew some of this stuff, but she did incredible research covering the major dietary studies and builds it all together chronolgically. Very well written and utterly infuriating. Although she uses heart disease instead of obesity, it actually makes the case for low carb better than even Taubes did.

Basically, carbs aren't necessary, and a veg based diet is not making people healthier (opposite!). And the AHA are scary denialists who are now in charge of the USDA dietary recommendations. The scientists who espouse anything different from the "accepted wisdom" are not allowed to speak and get no money for research, no matter how respected they are.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 726
Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michread View Post
Great question!

Yes, that's me! I don't know my fasting insulin but my HbA1c, HDL and triglycerides are all very good but this was tested after being on LCHF on & off for several years. I believe I'm insulin resistant because I have to go very low carb to lose any weight; that may be my age, gender and genes working against me.
It's me too but not the same. I'm thin, post menopausal, have normal fasting glucose and normal fasting insulin. But my A1c is high (6.0) and carbs, even low to moderate amounts, spike my BG. So, what's my issue? People who are insulin resistant have elevated fasting insulin circulating in their blood because their body needs more of it to lower BG. So, if I'm not insulin resistant, what is my problem? I'd like to know what's going on with my body.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 08-22-2014 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: left out a word
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
Dirty Harriet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 336
Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Totally disagree with all of it. She's just towing the party line. I think the proof is in our nations total health epidemic. We've been the lab rats for some bad science and big egos. 'They' are wrong. Period.

Now, that's not to say that eating carbs can't work for some. But not the vast majority. I just finished The Big Fat Surprise. That was a good book, and worth the read.

I think they have to put out stuff like this to try and counter all the information that has and is coming out about how wrong the low fat diet is for most people. It's a push back, in my opinion.
Exactly.......it's the same low carb diet for us lap banders. My BFF followed this program and list 120 pounds, so it works for those of us who have issues.....and it eliminated my diabetes now x 9 years.

Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member
 
Dirty Harriet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 336
Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
It's me too but not the same. I'm thin, post menopausal, have normal fasting glucose and normal fasting insulin. But my A1c is high (6.0) and carbs, even low to moderate amounts, spike my BG. So, what's my issue? People who are insulin resistant have elevated fasting insulin circulating in their blood because their body needs more of it to lower BG. So, if I'm not insulin resistant, what is my problem? I'd like to know what's going on with my body.
I was informed by my MD that 1/3 of the population over age 65 have diabetes. That would just indicate a general wearing out of the islet of langerhans cells in the pancreas, IF those statistics are true.......I do not like catagorization, so let us say that those that have your fight (& mine) are blessed with an efficient metabolism which will keep us looking normal during a famine! Whoopie, like I am gonna see THAT anytime soon!

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 08-22-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
Michread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/199/190 (11/1/14); 5'7", 51 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
So, if I'm not insulin resistant, what is my problem? I'd like to know what's going on with my body.
The only way to find out is to do your own n=1 experiment like Jimmy Moore did. He tracked his food, glucose & ketones several times a day for a whole year.

What does your doctor say?
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,857
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I don't think there's anything factually untrue in this, but it is clearly skewed to be anti-low carb. For example, she claims that if we rely on fat and protein to create the glucose our bodies need daily, 'they' [fat and protein] can't be used for their usual purposes, so we lose muscle, etc., etc.

What she conveniently ignores is that if MOST of our intake is fat and protein we have a sufficient amount for the needed glucose, and those macros can do their usual work as well.

By presenting factual information in this partial way to support her agenda, the writer can more easily 'prove' her thesis about the 'myths' of low carb. What irks me are these 'attacks' on specific eating plans--something that is also present here on this board.

We low carbers have to beware of making this WOE a 'religion' simply because it's what works best for our bodies. Former President Clinton, faced with increasing heart issues, has been successfully following the low fat eating plan by a doctor that has been demonstrated [via scientific studies] to improve the health of cardiac patients. There's probably no one more tested and checked than Pres. Clinton, and this WOE obviously helps him--much as low-carb eating is what my body thrives on.

If you read on Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint (as I do), there are many posters who are extremely anti-low carb. I ignore them--only because I know what's best for ME. Each of us has to find the right WOE for him/her self. But beyond that, I wish they'd shut up about how other people eat!
Leo---I agree that we must not make our woe, any woe, a religion and become intolerant or condescending to the way others stay healthy and what works for them.

Where I disagree is your statement that there was nothing "factually" wrong about this article. The example you gave is perfect. Omission of important facts IS a form of falsehood. In this case, the author ignores A LOT of pertinent information that's out there for all to read, and when as Phinney and Volek would say, one is practicing "a well regulated Low carb diet" these things don't happen in the great majority of cases.

She does not take on the issues of metabolic syndrome, carb addiction, the ever growing numbers of those w/Diabetes 2, insulin sensitivity and a host of other things pertinent to this discussion.

If she wanted to make the point that carbs are not poison and some can eat a
low fat/high carb diet and succeed at it, i.e. in your example, President Clinton, then fine. But that's not the case she made.

Instead, imo, she did the usual demonization of LC, which the "facts" really DON'T support. This angers me because while no one woe will be right for everyone, it's quite clear that the SAD is a dangerous woe for many---and the macros she is suggesting are the SAD, perhaps a bit healthier, but still the SAD.

I have read too much not to be angered by the "experts" refusal to acknowledge what is obviously true. Which is that some will be able to eat as many carbs as they want and not develop Metabolic syndrome or diabetes 2, or suffer from constant acid reflux, or have bad blood sugar numbers or get fat or obese.

Then there's the MANY, MANY, who this is not true of, and it's about time that is acknowledged in ANY article on this subject.
__________________
There is no success that doesn't have persistence to thank...it's the muscle behind almost everything.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #22
Senior LCF member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,606
Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Blue-

I disagree only because everyone operates through the prism of bios or her own understanding. While this article may seem incredibly wrong to people on this board, we know that most nutritionists are 'educated' with the SAD as the norm, so this writer, based on her education and experience, may truly believe what she is saying about low carb. It's not an unusual opinion if you get beyond LCF. How often do we read posts from people whose doctors, trainers, and/or nutritionists warned them against low-carb?

I referenced the Primal Blueprint forum in my earlier post, and there are many, many posters there who see low-carb eating very differently than we do. And they write of their negative experiences with low-carb eating--something I can't relate to, but I'm sure it's their reality. So I don't tell them that they're 'wrong.' I can only speak to my own experience with low-carb eating.

The OP asked if this article is 'outdated,' and it's not. If you read nutrition sites on the internet, this is very current thinking by many, many people.

In my experience, it's a matter of personal physiology which WOE works best for a person. So I try not to react to any other person's WOE.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 726
Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michread View Post
The only way to find out is to do your own n=1 experiment like Jimmy Moore did. He tracked his food, glucose & ketones several times a day for a whole year.

What does your doctor say?
My doctor shrugged her shoulders. She said because of my normal insulin levels that I'm not insulin resistant and she also doesn't think I'm glucose impaired based on the log I showed her tracking my BG levels. But she did prescribe 500 mg Metformin ER which helped lower my A1c to 5.7 in 2-1/2 months (I suspect my next A1c will be in the normal range). I don't do the ketone thing, but I do watch my carbs and test my blood sugar. All I know is, I'm sensitive to carbs because it spikes my sugar (highest I ever spiked was 170 after eating pizza, which I don't eat anymore). I don't gain weight from carbs though; in fact I could use a few pounds. Obviously, something genetic is going on.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
Michread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/199/190 (11/1/14); 5'7", 51 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Blue-


The OP asked if this article is 'outdated,' and it's not. If you read nutrition sites on the internet, this is very current thinking by many, many people.

In my experience, it's a matter of personal physiology which WOE works best for a person. So I try not to react to any other person's WOE.

If we take each of her points and break it down, many of her "facts" are incorrect NOT just outdated.
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member
 
Michread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/199/190 (11/1/14); 5'7", 51 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
My doctor shrugged her shoulders. She said because of my normal insulin levels that I'm not insulin resistant and she also doesn't think I'm glucose impaired based on the log I showed her tracking my BG levels. But she did prescribe 500 mg Metformin ER which helped lower my A1c to 5.7 in 2-1/2 months (I suspect my next A1c will be in the normal range). I don't do the ketone thing, but I do watch my carbs and test my blood sugar. All I know is, I'm sensitive to carbs because it spikes my sugar (highest I ever spiked was 170 after eating pizza, which I don't eat anymore). I don't gain weight from carbs though; in fact I could use a few pounds. Obviously, something genetic is going on.
Based on your HbA1c, I would say you are insulin resistant. If there wasn't any problem, your doctor wouldn't have you take Metformin.

Have you read Jimmy Moore's blog on his n=1 experiment? His new book Keto Clarity is good and a lot of that info is on his podcasts for free (interviews with the experts).

There is such a thing as fat THIN people! Dr. Michael Mosley considered himself one of those people. He wrote The Fast Diet.
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #26
GME
Big Yapper!!!!
 
GME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA Coast
Posts: 9,588
Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Can you be insulin resistant yet still have normal fasting insulin, high HDL and low to normal triglycerides?
Define normal.

I recently had my fasting insulin tested even though all my other numbers are good because I have some IR symptoms. I tested at 12 and the range went up to 22.

Great, right?

No. My doctor (and my internet readings) says normal for healthy people (not averaging in all the diabetic, prediabetic, obese and unhealthy people in the range) is 5-6. So my "normal" is double what it really should be.

Last edited by GME; 08-22-2014 at 04:34 PM..
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,857
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Blue-

I disagree only because everyone operates through the prism of bios or her own understanding. While this article may seem incredibly wrong to people on this board, we know that most nutritionists are 'educated' with the SAD as the norm, so this writer, based on her education and experience, may truly believe what she is saying about low carb. It's not an unusual opinion if you get beyond LCF. How often do we read posts from people whose doctors, trainers, and/or nutritionists warned them against low-carb?

I referenced the Primal Blueprint forum in my earlier post, and there are many, many posters there who see low-carb eating very differently than we do. And they write of their negative experiences with low-carb eating--something I can't relate to, but I'm sure it's their reality. So I don't tell them that they're 'wrong.' I can only speak to my own experience with low-carb eating.

The OP asked if this article is 'outdated,' and it's not. If you read nutrition sites on the internet, this is very current thinking by many, many people.

In my experience, it's a matter of personal physiology which WOE works best for a person. So I try not to react to any other person's WOE.
Leo---I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, your knowledge and the battle you've fought so freaking well against obesity. I try to put it into words, but words really can't say it all sometimes, right?

So it's A OK if we agree to disagree. "Everyone" is free to "operate" from their own biases, but once you take those biases public, and do so imo, w/out the expertise needed to make the global statements made in this article, you open yourself up to very justifiable criticism.

And, frankly, I have zero interest in "understanding" this author's biases. Plus, I DO believe this article IS outdated, on the basis of its omissions, which I feel are serious enough to call out.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,857
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michread View Post
If we take each of her points and break it down, many of her "facts" are incorrect NOT just outdated.
I agree, Michread. I agree.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 726
Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Define normal.

I recently had my fasting insulin tested even though all my other numbers are good because I have some IR symptoms. I tested at 12 and the range went up to 22.

Great, right?

No. My doctor (and my internet readings) says normal for healthy people (not averaging in all the diabetic, prediabetic, obese and unhealthy people in the range) is 5-6. So my "normal" is double what it really should be.
My fasting insulin before the metformin was 4.8. Very normal. After 2-1/2 months of Metformin it tested at 3.8. So my doctor said I'm not insulin resistant (unlike DH who tested at 15). So what is the explanation for my high A1c? BTW, my fasting BG is also normal at 87. Weight is 108 lbs. Also, I've exercised consistently for the past 33 years, both cardio and resistance training.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,857
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
My fasting insulin before the metformin was 4.8. Very normal. After 2-1/2 months of Metformin it tested at 3.8. So my doctor said I'm not insulin resistant (unlike DH who tested at 15). So what is the explanation for my high A1c? BTW, my fasting BG is also normal at 87. Weight is 108 lbs. Also, I've exercised consistently for the past 33 years, both cardio and resistance training.
I cannot answer your questions. And it's sad that imo, most Docs can't answer your question either. IMO, this is because this country's medical/ nutritional complex is no where near being able to answer these questions. Frankly, it just has NOT been a priority of research, despite all our country's richness and resources.

SO. What I've come to believe is that we must do this for ourselves as best we can, and w/the help of the internet, this has never been more possible.

NOT saying that any amount of googling will answer to your questions. But, at 108 lbs. and a consistent record of heart healthy exercise, I'd say you're playing the odds as best as you can. And that's all any of us can do.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.