Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 145.8/127/125 (every .1 lb counts!)
WOE: LC + JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
Accidental wheat-cheat!

I stepped on the scale this morning and found myself up 1.2 lbs from the day before. (I'm a daily weigher, I enjoy plotting and watching the fluctuations on my Excel graph. ) While my weight does bop around from day to day, that's an unusually large bounce for me, so I mentally went over what I'd eaten the day before. The only new/unusual item? Coconut curry shrimp, a recipe I'd made up and been pretty proud of; it's just shrimp sauteed with coconut oil, a drop each of sesame oil and almond oil, plus curry powder, garlic powder, and a bit of salt. Very tasty and a bit "exotic" feeling, and I was glad to be finding a use for the coconut oil I'd bought.

Well, surprise! The curry powder contains wheat! I had skimmed the ingredients before, and it looked like just a long list of spices, but when I went over it carefully this morning, there was the culprit. I couldn't have ingested more than a tablespoon of it, but I can't think what else could've caused the sudden gain.

Ah well, just gotta keep on keepin' on. This is extra motivation to be very careful, not cheat, and read labels CLOSELY while I'm on vacation this week - as if the prospect of wearing a swimsuit wasn't motivation enough!

So, everyone, what have been your best/worst accidental cheats since starting this WOE? Wheat-related or non-!
Snackycake is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Unless you are very sensitive to wheat, it's unlikely the amount in a little seasoning would cause a gain.
3oz of shrimp has nearly 500mg of sodium, naturally, so it's more likely that is the sudden gain culprit.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
What is wheat doing in curry powder!!!???? Had to check mine and there is no wheat - thankfully.

It almost certainly is just a case of normal ebb and flow of fluids. Certainly not a fat gain.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
3oz of shrimp has nearly 500mg of sodium
No way! That's fascinating. I tend to eat a lot of sodium day to day though (I really enjoy bacon and sunflower seeds), and have had shrimp at least once before without a big bounce, I think. So I'm likely more sensitive to wheat than sodium, but can't say for sure. Something to be sussed out as I proceed through OWL, I suppose.

In any event, I'd still love to hear other people's tales of hidden/surprise carbs! Might make for fun reading on a Friday ...
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
What is wheat doing in curry powder!!!????.
Right?! I was kind of appalled!

I know the gain is just water though, so I'm not worried. The daily weighing has actually been helpful in that regard, showing me daily ups and downs, but with an overall downward trend, so I get less freaked out by water retention, etc.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The list of hidden wheat is long and the most surprising one I have learned was that soy is fermented with wheat. I have found a good replacement but who knew???
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I found out Hebrew National hot dogs have soy in them. Won't buy those again. Like my daughter asked 'what do they need that for?' No clue. She had a bounce up from eating them. Go figure.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blackberrybunny
Stats: 244/182/160
WOE: General LC/Ketogenic
Start Date: August 1, 2013
My curry has no wheat. Hmm what brand are you using? Let us know so we can avoid it!

However, I too agree that there can't possibly be enough wheat in the amount of curry used to cause a gain like this.

More likely it is the salt..........OR any number of other things, like hormones.
blackberrybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrybunny View Post
My curry has no wheat. Hmm what brand are you using? Let us know so we can avoid it!
I'm away from my pantry at the moment, but based on my googling in search of a picture of the bottle, it looks like it's Grace brand. Beware!