Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Accidental wheat-cheat! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/839012-accidental-wheat-cheat.html)

Snackycake 08-22-2014 06:05 AM

Accidental wheat-cheat!

I stepped on the scale this morning and found myself up 1.2 lbs from the day before. (I'm a daily weigher, I enjoy plotting and watching the fluctuations on my Excel graph. :)) While my weight does bop around from day to day, that's an unusually large bounce for me, so I mentally went over what I'd eaten the day before. The only new/unusual item? Coconut curry shrimp, a recipe I'd made up and been pretty proud of; it's just shrimp sauteed with coconut oil, a drop each of sesame oil and almond oil, plus curry powder, garlic powder, and a bit of salt. Very tasty and a bit "exotic" feeling, and I was glad to be finding a use for the coconut oil I'd bought.

Well, surprise! The curry powder contains wheat! :annoyed: I had skimmed the ingredients before, and it looked like just a long list of spices, but when I went over it carefully this morning, there was the culprit. I couldn't have ingested more than a tablespoon of it, but I can't think what else could've caused the sudden gain.

Ah well, just gotta keep on keepin' on. This is extra motivation to be very careful, not cheat, and read labels CLOSELY while I'm on vacation this week - as if the prospect of wearing a swimsuit wasn't motivation enough! :laugh:

So, everyone, what have been your best/worst accidental cheats since starting this WOE? Wheat-related or non-!

Dottie 08-22-2014 06:24 AM

Unless you are very sensitive to wheat, it's unlikely the amount in a little seasoning would cause a gain.
3oz of shrimp has nearly 500mg of sodium, naturally, so it's more likely that is the sudden gain culprit.

clackley 08-22-2014 07:24 AM

What is wheat doing in curry powder!!!????:mad: Had to check mine and there is no wheat - thankfully.

It almost certainly is just a case of normal ebb and flow of fluids. Certainly not a fat gain.

Snackycake 08-22-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 17014867)
3oz of shrimp has nearly 500mg of sodium

No way! That's fascinating. I tend to eat a lot of sodium day to day though (I really enjoy bacon and sunflower seeds), and have had shrimp at least once before without a big bounce, I think. So I'm likely more sensitive to wheat than sodium, but can't say for sure. Something to be sussed out as I proceed through OWL, I suppose. :)

In any event, I'd still love to hear other people's tales of hidden/surprise carbs! Might make for fun reading on a Friday ...

Snackycake 08-22-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 17014932)
What is wheat doing in curry powder!!!????:mad:.

Right?! I was kind of appalled!

I know the gain is just water though, so I'm not worried. The daily weighing has actually been helpful in that regard, showing me daily ups and downs, but with an overall downward trend, so I get less freaked out by water retention, etc.

clackley 08-22-2014 07:29 AM

The list of hidden wheat is long and the most surprising one I have learned was that soy is fermented with wheat. I have found a good replacement but who knew???

snowangel9 08-22-2014 10:00 AM

I found out Hebrew National hot dogs have soy in them. Won't buy those again. Like my daughter asked 'what do they need that for?' No clue. She had a bounce up from eating them. Go figure.

blackberrybunny 08-22-2014 10:03 AM

My curry has no wheat. Hmm what brand are you using? Let us know so we can avoid it!

However, I too agree that there can't possibly be enough wheat in the amount of curry used to cause a gain like this.

More likely it is the salt..........OR any number of other things, like hormones.

Snackycake 08-22-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackberrybunny (Post 17015125)
My curry has no wheat. Hmm what brand are you using? Let us know so we can avoid it!

I'm away from my pantry at the moment, but based on my googling in search of a picture of the bottle, it looks like it's Grace brand. Beware!