Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dulcynea
20pounds or less to loose

Hello, I've been low carbing for over 2 months now but without any spectacular results, or even no results at all. In the past I did Dukan for five weeks and lost 10 pounds. Five years later I am back to square one with my extra 20pounds. This time round I do not want to do any diet, having gathered all my experience and knowledge about nutrition I have decided to change the way I eat for good by removing all the obvious carbs from my menu. Unfortunately, two months later, I do not see much happening. I would love to hear from people who did not have much to loose but somehow they managed to get rid of those few pesky pounds just by low carbing.
Dulcynea is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
My weight loss goal was 20 lbs also. It took me about 6 mos & was very slow in the beginning. I just had to stick to cleaneating even though some weeks it didn't seem like I was losing. I'd lose 1-2 lbs, then go another couple of wks & lose 1-2 more until goal. Even when I wasn't losing lbs, I was losing inches since my clothes kept getting looser. I went from a size 12 to a 6. I keep my carbs under 20g. I have kept it off for 3 yrs now.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
I am within 20 of my goal too and my weight loss has slowed a lot. I never lost super fast to begin with, but now it seems to take forever to lose a half of a pound. I know I need to be patient because my body is still adjusting to this weight but it is frustrating.

Eat really clean, try a little more fat and be patient.
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 145.8/137.2/125 (every .1 lb counts!)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2014
I began 5 weeks ago with a goal of losing 20 lbs. I had great results during induction, losing about 6 - 7lbs, and it's been slow going since then. But I welcome any and all progress! Even if it takes a while. As of right now, I'm about 12 lbs from goal. Good luck to everyone in the same boat!!
Snackycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
I'm within 20 pounds of my goal weight, but haven't lost any weight in almost 3 months. I'm actually surprised I haven't given up by now.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/187/160?
WOE: <25 carbs/day and NO WHEAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcynea View Post
Five years later I am back to square one with my extra 20pounds. This time round I do not want to do any diet, having gathered all my experience and knowledge about nutrition I have decided to change the way I eat for good...
This is key. You can't go back to your "old ways" without gaining it back. And I don't have to tell you how bad sugar, HFC, wheat, corn, and dairy are for your health.

Maybe try a detox. Some of the stuck poundage could be toxins. IDK, just an idea.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kit5908
When you eat low carb, you lose weight and your pants get loose! ;-)
kit5908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I'm within 20 pounds of my goal weight, but haven't lost any weight in almost 3 months. I'm actually surprised I haven't given up by now.
Kahuna - that's an interesting statement. While I am 40# from goal, I think of myself as being in pre-maintenance in which what I eat when I'm in maintenance will be the same as I'm eating now.

And I'm totally not singling you out, but you've been extremely successful and I like your posts so I want to know what you think.

How does what what you eat now differ from what you will eat when you're at goal?

And again, totally not singling you out, but I like your posts and trying to get into the mindset of people near goal who have lost quite a bit.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Honestly, I don't have an answer. I feel a bit lost, and in limbo. I've been eating the same basic diet for several months now. I'm getting tired of eating the same things. It worked well at first, but now I have stalled. I have not been able to dip below 232 for 3 months now. I even recently felt sick for a couple of days and had no appetite...lowest I dipped to, 232! I've been working out and exercising. But that's going to slow down drastically now that school has started. I simply won't have time without getting up an hour and a half earlier than I already do...and that is not going to happen!

I keep thinking that once I reach a goal or mirror image that I'm pleased with, I will switch to a maintenance diet....where I add back some carbs, but still keep a good chunk of the breads and grains, sugars, etc out. I'm obviously eating more healthy now than I was this time last year. But I feel VERY restricted, and haven't been able to get creative with new menu items. I'm burnt out on eating low-carb now. I HATE breakfast. I despise having to cook eggs every morning, or settle for a protein bar which is not filling at all, and being hungry until lunch. I know this is my fault, for not taking the time to explore more recipes. But the time and effort, and not to mention to ridiculous grocery bills, is piling up on me, and having not lost any weight in 3 months now, is pushing me close to just quitting.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Kahuna - thank you for your candid response. I hope I didn't offend you with the question. You have been so successful and an inspiration and I always enjoy your posts. I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling.

The comment about restrictive is insightful - I'm 40# from goal but am trying to get my mind into maintenance because I think that's will be the hardest "diet" and biggest eating challenge of my life.

Good luck with the school year and thank you again for your insights. You have a lot of people cheering you on, so I hope that you keep persevering.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!

A year ago, if you had asked me if I would be satisfied with weighing 232, I would have answered "heck yes"! But I know I still have a good bit of flab around my torso/ belly yet to lose.

Granted, the first 40 pounds came off rather quickly, and it really does spoil you. Even knowing that rapid loss can't and won't continue as you get closer to a "normal" weight. I'm not ignorant nor unrealistic. I just feel like I'm in a rut, have gotten complacent with my diet, and am at a point now, where I will need "convenience foods" more often. For the past several months, I had plenty of time to cook breakfast and lunch every day. But my time is now spread thin! I need to get some meals cooked up on Sunday, ready to reheat for easy meals later.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

And ironically, this AM I weighed 230.8.....my first time ever dipping below 232!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Kahuna - that's an interesting statement. While I am 40# from goal, I think of myself as being in pre-maintenance in which what I eat when I'm in maintenance will be the same as I'm eating now.

And I'm totally not singling you out, but you've been extremely successful and I like your posts so I want to know what you think.

How does what what you eat now differ from what you will eat when you're at goal?

And again, totally not singling you out, but I like your posts and trying to get into the mindset of people near goal who have lost quite a bit.
So, Sbarr, I'm sticking my nose in here cos I'd like to get that mindset, too. I'm not unhappy where I am now tho not at "goal". "Goal" being in 12 pounds but "ultimate" would be in 27 to just sort of see if I could get that low but also to give that "cushion". I am losing so slowly now, if at all, 27 just seems gargantuan.

I've lost 55 so far and am eating in a way that I think I can maintain but not necessarily lose it anymore. IOW, my body may have found its set weight and I need to find a way to get over that hump.
LDL: 191
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistermirror
Stats: 213/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/24/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
And ironically, this AM I weighed 230.8.....my first time ever dipping below 232!
That's great! Reading your posts and watching your progress over the months has been very encouraging to me. Glad you finally saw a change. I lost most of my weight the first couple of months, it has totally died in August.

Keep on trucking!
mistermirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Kahuna - way to go!!!!

Marsha - So, you're 157, but want to be 130, but would settle for 145. Sorry if I'm picking the numbers apart, but that's right where I'm hoping to be at the end of the year so I'm trying to get into the mindset.

Could you eat this way for the rest of your life?

If you need to get past a long-standing hump, there are quite a few of us who were doing an egg fast in the NK forum.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Marsha - So, you're 157, but want to be 130, but would settle for 145. Sorry if I'm picking the numbers apart, but that's right where I'm hoping to be at the end of the year so I'm trying to get into the mindset
Yes, ma'am ....
Quote:
Could you eat this way for the rest of your life?
... and yes, ma'am.
Quote:
If you need to get past a long-standing hump, there are quite a few of us who were doing an egg fast in the NK forum.
I am going to try something prolly next month.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Marsha - bravo, lady!!

That you can eat this way for the rest of your life is the mindset I'm trying to "infiltrate" - now doesn't that sound covert? Ha!

With the NK, I think I'm part way there by looking more at my ketone levels than the scale since it will be a lifelong effort to stay in ketosis.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
I've eaten low carb for three years now, 2 1/2 of those in maintenance, crept up 5 pounds and just lost those after two months of effort. And from my experience, despite want a lot of people say and think, I think you must watch not only your carbs but also your calories and exercise on top of that is a must too. When I discovered my scale had been malfunctioning and I had gained a few pounds (clothes still fit), I cut my calories down to 1200 net (I had been 1600) and stepped up my exercise. And it came off. So if you only eat low carb and don't watch your calories, you might want to try that. It just might be why you're stalled.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Marsha - bravo, lady!!

That you can eat this way for the rest of your life is the mindset I'm trying to "infiltrate" - now doesn't that sound covert? Ha!
Indeed, it's like being a "body detective" or something and sometimes the body just ain't talkin'.

So, yeah, as far as I can tell, I've turned the corner. I know this is the way I should eat for me always and I've totally accepted and internalized that. I will eat what I want, but I just don't want the bad stuff anymore in the same way. So I'll eat whatever carb I want -- really want. Not just cos it's there but something I really desire -- but not at every meal and not every day. It keeps me from being deprived and it keeps me feeling in control and I always look forward to eating "clean" again at the next meal.

And up to now, that's worked for weight loss. But, essentially, since I am eating how I can eat for the rest of my life, it appears I'm now eating at "maintenance" since my weight loss has stopped.

So I can either decide to be okay with that (and, really, either way, I HAVE to decide to be okay with what my body does in terms of how quickly or not it lets go of the fat) and just continue as I am and see where I get with exercise and toning OR try something "drastic" like the egg fast or a short-term calorie counting phase to get things started again fat loss wise. For that, as it would really include a deprivation component, I have to find a way to get my mind around it and learn how to power through.

Aack, more thoughts later maybe.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Marsha-
My own experience is that your 'goal' weight should be when eating as you can sustain indefinitely. If you do something 'drastic' to get to some arbitrary number, the pounds will just return once you go back to a level of eating that you're comfortable with.

I've been maintaining for 4 years mainly because I can handle this level of calories/carbs comfortably. Am I eating as I did at 300 lbs? Of course not! But I'm actually eating at the basic level I was when I got to my goal. I'm able to be a trifle more 'liberal' at times, but I'm still low carb and careful of calories.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Marsha-My own experience is that your 'goal' weight should be when eating as you can sustain indefinitely. If you do something 'drastic' to get to some arbitrary number, the pounds will just return once you go back to a level of eating that you're comfortable with
This makes a lot of sense.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nzmegs
WOE: LCHF - Keto
I think it is the Gary Taubes book "why we get fat" that suggests our bodies have set weight points and that it can be tricky to push past them. These set point move upwards as our weight moves up - have you ever noticed that you put on weight and then stay there for months up and down but more or less the same. Then something happens and that set point moves for another few months.

Losing weight is the same. Your body wants to maintain - you just need to kick start it.

it truly does take an effort - you can't keep doing the same thing. it might be adjusting your protein or fat or maybe adding in exercise or even just dropping your cals.

I maintained a 50 pound weight loss for a year by being strictly low carb and not eating any sugar. The moment I relaxed that, it came back on slowly but surely. Unfortunately there is no quick fix. You have to commit for a lifetime (but it will be a longer and healthier one).

I now have about 20 pounds to lose to get back to target, so I am with you on the difficulty of losing smaller amounts. But plug away, try different things and set small goals. But don't just do nothing and expect the weight to go. it won't.

Last edited by nzmegs; 08-27-2014 at 03:00 AM..
nzmegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I don't know if this would help but when I cut out dairy the weight just fell off. I also cut back on how much protein I was eating and increased veggies. Lots of fat was no problem. Now I love love dairy but clearly I had a problem with it. (and still miss it)
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Marsha-
My own experience is that your 'goal' weight should be when eating as you can sustain indefinitely...

I've been maintaining for 4 years mainly because I can handle this level of calories/carbs comfortably. Am I eating as I did at 300 lbs? Of course not! But I'm actually eating at the basic level I was when I got to my goal. I'm able to be a trifle more 'liberal' at times, but I'm still low carb and careful of calories.
As ever with Leo, and helpful sharing of a remarkable success story.

My current WOE and eating schedule bears no resemblance to the way that I ate before the accident that preceded the weight gain or even quite close to that before my original goal weight. But, I'm not that person any more. I don't even vaguely have the same body composition or activity levels and I'm now managing chronic migraine through my food choices.

I lost 38lbs from my HW to my original goal weight of 130lbs. I decided to maintain there for a few months to stabilise (after I learned from a BodPod and subsequently Dexa scan that I had very high levels of body fat and low levels of skeletal muscle) but I decided to nudge down my body fat levels so CW is 108lbs for an additional loss of 22lbs (60lbs in total). I think it was important that I maintained and stabilised for a while before attempting to nudge and adjust my body composition even tho' I didn't know if I wanted to lose an additional 10 or 20lbs and whether my body would cooperate.

August 2014 In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If you do something 'drastic' to get to some arbitrary number, the pounds will just return once you go back to a level of eating that you're comfortable with
As I said, I think this does make sense. However, if I'm not gaining how I'm eating now, then does it necessarily mean that if I DO go on a DIET and lose and then return to "maintenance" that I'll re-gain? I dunno, it's all experimentation, unfortunately.

But the bottom line is that I still need to get rid of visceral fat around my abdomen so I can't just do nothing or be happy where I am now. And that's about health and risk factors for disease, not, Oh, I have to be 2 sizes smaller. Not saying that won't be nice and everything, but the health angle is what finally got me "scared me straight" so to speak. I had a good run with eating bad carbs with abandon, but now I don't miss them.

I'll be going back to running next week (beach, baby!! Love running on the beach!) and then back inside the gym (been going but staying outside in the pool!).

Last edited by Madmarsha; 08-27-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vancouverbarb
Stats: 171.5/135.5/?
WOE: Atkins all the way!
May I leap in? I originally started back on the low carb way in February with the though of 20lbs to lose. When I got those 20 off, I didn't like what I saw in the mirror so I kept going. I'm now at 35lbs gone and at the lowest weight of my adult life (I'm 47). My massage therapist suggested that the pouch I have could be the result of a health issue e.g. hormones, thyroid and/ or adrenal gland issues so she recommended a naturopath. OMG that was the best thing I've ever done for myself!!! I had an initial meeting that opened my eyes. I then had some blood work done that was more particular than my usual blood work and wow, more revelations about how my free T3 wasn't working (have been hypothyroid for 20 years & taking synthroid), I'm low on ferritin, my estrogen levels are low and my adrenals are working overtime. I'm in the process of being treated so I hope to have good news on the pouch front in a couple of months. So keep that in mind when working on your goal weight all! It could be more than just carb counts and calories!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Marsha-

I can certainly appreciate your wanting to lose that visceral fat, but my point is that it's probably best for overall maintenance do lose it without 'drastic' dieting. What I mean is if you're 'maintaining' now, it means that you're eating for your current weight. To lose more, you need to cut back somewhere to create the caloric deficit that's the basis of all weight loss. But if you cut back too severely to 'get there faster,' you're more likely to rebound.

When you get to your ultimate goal, you don't just 'go back' to eating as you are now. You need to figure the maintenance level at which you are neither losing nor gaining. Often it's quite close to where you are at the time. You can 'experiment' with both carbs and calories to see what you can add--and not gain.

I have read that someone like me who was morbidly obese most of my life does not have the same body as someone who has always been at my weight. So I cannot eat according to any 'calculators.' I've found my maintenance level mainly via trial and error.

The sad fact is that the human body regards all weight loss as a negative (from the times when body fat was needed to survive famine), so the more weight we lose, the more the body 'pushes' to gain more body fat. That's what makes maintenance so challenging.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

My joy was short lived.
Back up over 234 again this AM...and really expect it to stay there.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: WintersTale
Stats: 148.9/143.8/132 5'6"
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 2010
Jumping in here

It's been a LONG time since I've posted ANYWHERE on this site but since I have started NSNG (No Sugar No Grains)...which IS, of course, low carb , I thought it might be fun to get back in the group!

Are you using artificial sweeteners or drinking any diet drinks? I have found that those can be dangerous for some of us with less to lose.

I've got 15 that I need to take off and they're being VERY stubborn.
WintersTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Marsha-

I can certainly appreciate your wanting to lose that visceral fat, but my point is that it's probably best for overall maintenance do lose it without 'drastic' dieting. What I mean is if you're 'maintaining' now, it means that you're eating for your current weight. To lose more, you need to cut back somewhere to create the caloric deficit that's the basis of all weight loss. But if you cut back too severely to 'get there faster,' you're more likely to rebound
Well, by "drastic", I dunno exactly how you took it, but I didn't mean like a "crash diet" or something. I was taking a bit of license and really meant just what you are suggesting here, to cut back. I mean, I think that's what I'd been doing anyway from where I started tho I haven't been counting. But now I think I do need to get a bit more precise and sort of deprive myself for a little while of what I will be able to eat once I reach goal.

Right now, there's nothing "obvious" to cut out. I don't and have never drunk diet drinks. I drink only water and decaf coffee with half n half and liquid stevia but sometimes Splenda. I eat very little dairy but I do eat some. So those might be some things to experiment with. But, honestly, the most "obvious" thing for me would be to be absolutely "perfect" and the thought of that is pretty draconian even for a week. I am not sure yet that it wouldn't derail me. The denial, deprivation, stringency, whatever you want to call it, is something I've really side stepped thus far.

As far as getting there faster, well, pretty much anything is faster than how I'm losing now so it's all relative I guess.

Quote:
When you get to your ultimate goal, you don't just 'go back' to eating as you are now. You need to figure the maintenance level at which you are neither losing nor gaining. Often it's quite close to where you are at the time. You can 'experiment' with both carbs and calories to see what you can add--and not gain
Gotcha.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 08-27-2014 at 07:19 PM..