Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
Increasing Calories

Do you find that your weight loss picks up when increasing calories? Or does it stop?

I ate 300+ more calories yesterday, and when I stepped on the scale this morning I am down 1.4 pounds.

How about eating BMR x activity level level of calories but Induction level carbs - do you think this will work? Or subtract 20%?
Amélie is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It's a danger to attribute any scale number to what was done the previous day. Our bodies don't necessarily respond immediately to any changes or tweaks. My own weight can fluctuate 3-5 lbs on water retention alone from day to day--and that has nothing to do with fat loss or gain.

If you increased calories daily for 2 weeks and noted increased loss, then perhaps you could draw a conclusion, but one of the dangers of daily weighing is to focus more on the scale number than it merits.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience

Agree with Leo on this one.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
It's a danger to attribute any scale number to what was done the previous day. Our bodies don't necessarily respond immediately to any changes or tweaks. My own weight can fluctuate 3-5 lbs on water retention alone from day to day--and that has nothing to do with fat loss or gain.

If you increased calories daily for 2 weeks and noted increased loss, then perhaps you could draw a conclusion, but one of the dangers of daily weighing is to focus more on the scale number than it merits.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Agreed with Leo (as always). It generally takes my body a few days after a high calorie day or cheat day to even register the gain. So one high day likely means nothing in terms of trends for you.

As for calorie levels, it's very personal. But the general thought is that you don't ever eat below BMR. That's what you need just to be alive and lay in bed all day long. Google TDEE. That is what your body burns during the day and accounts for all of your movements. You generally want to eat somewhere between BMR and TDEE levels.

Having said all that, I don't follow any of those guidelines and eat until satisfied while being mindful to not overeat.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I also agree that a 24 hour period is not enough to make a good judgement - no matter what the change.

If your question is about eating enough or too much, it will take time to sort that out and some diligence. The problem with attributing anything to a calorie count is that is doesn't properly account for the makeup of food. It is good to take a full look at what amounts of the 3 macros you are consuming.

As we all know the calories 100 calories in a snack bar is not the same as the 100 calories in 21g of cheddar cheese. The makeup of the food is really the most important issue.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
Yeah I guess spoke too soon - I'm up 200g today. But it's all good.

Oh, I reached ONEderland this week so life is good.
Amélie is online now   Reply With Quote