Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2jjl
Stats: ??/ sz 4-6
WOE: LOW CARB
Counting calories, protein macros??!!

Love eating low carb however I have been reading alot of posts in a group on Facebook about counting your "macros" etc. It really just blows my mind and stresses me OUT!!! I am the kind of person for something to work its got to be kept simple...I don't want to track anything..no macros, no protein intake, no calories just keep my carbs below 20, workout and lose...Does anyone here NOT keep track and having no problem with losing eating below 20 carbs? Or in order for this to work for me do I need to keep track of macros?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I think you will find there are many that do just fine counting carbs. If it works for you, then don't stress. If you have a major stall in the future, you might want to check out info on moderating your protein. If you ever do decide to moderate your protein, all you need to do is keep track of how many grams you need for your body. No need to stress about macros.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I lost all my weight just keeping my carbs <20g a day--as I still do in maintenance.

However, although I didn't specifically 'count' my protein grams, I tried to make sure I always met my minimum (60g) to insure that I lost as little muscle as possible during the weight loss process. Since I eat the same things a lot, I was able to monitor my protein intake without specifically counting.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mephy
Stats: 155/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: August 2002
I have never paid attention to macros. Quite frankly, I don't even completely understand it and never made any effort to. I only focus on my carbohydrate intake.
mephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
I looked up my macros and kept track on one of those daily tracking websites for a week in the beginning. That was long enough to get the hang of it. I suppose I ought to go back and have a "check up," but meh. Same thing with net carbs. Math: Who needs it.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I don't track anything -- calories, protein, or carbs. I simply eat the foods I consider to be low carb enough for me, in what I consider reasonable quantities. If I ever have a long stall, I will re-evaluate, but so far this works.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aimee
Stats: 5' 7'' 238/186/150
WOE: LCHF and 1972 Atkins
Start Date: 01/11/2014
I focused on my macros up until a couple of weeks ago. I had only lost 2 lbs since I started watching my macros. (About a month ago) I quit with the macros and just focused on carbs and calories and I started eating a little more.. and ...immediately dropped another 4 lbs!!!! I don't know if it's a result of doing macro's then switching to eating a little more or what.
I will never completely understand weight loss. I've been doing Atkins religiously for almost 9 months... I'm just doing what I know is right and I figure eventually the weight will come off.... Hang in there. I know this whole thing gets so frustrating!
Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think if you are doing well the way you are (counting only carbs), that is what you should do. We all have to find what works for us individually and because one person's counting macros works for them, it may not for the next person for a variety of reasons.

The first time I did Atkins, I only counted carbs and even then, it was a bit loosely as I didn't have an on-line tracker. I kept track and looked things up really well initially but as I learned what foods had what carbs, it became less stringent.

I lost to goal (55lbs) and stayed in maintenance doing the same for another 2 yrs.. It worked and there was no need to go to anymore trouble. That may be the most common experience. Keep it simple if you can!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I agree with the other posters. If counting carbs or keeping them below 20 works for you, then don't worry about the rest. It's all about what works for you.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
There was a time when I only paid attention to the carbs and still lost about 60+ pounds in a 3 month period...and would 'guess' I was eating over 2000 calories a day.

This time around I had to deal with being post menopause and diabetic. I still lost about 60 pounds in 3 months *but* I very much had to track the macros and count calories as well as carbs.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2jjl
Stats: ??/ sz 4-6
WOE: LOW CARB
Thank you ALL for your responses!! I have decided to just keep on keepin on!! Its working for me and so why mess that up! I am smaller now than I have been in over 6 years..still have 40 lbs to go but gosh eating steak, jalapeno poppers, bacon, salad & quest bars is working for ME!!! I enjoy eating what I do and I have been at this for years until finally one day it clicked...I look forward to steak for dinner & my beloved jalapeno poppers so why mess that up with stress of counting..keeping it at below 20 and moving on!
mom2jjl is offline   Reply With Quote