LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
homemade yogurt

It stands to reason that if I make a quart of homemade yogurt using half and half, and the whole quart is 32 carbs, then the whole batch of yogurt should be 32 grams, which means I could eat half of it and stay below 20 carbs. This tastes so delicious I can hardly believe it. A quart of heavy cream on the other hand, says that each serving has less than one carb, and it has 64 servings per quart. I wonder if "less than one carb" per serving means almost one carb and it has almost the same amount per quart, or closer to zero carb per serving. It seems to me it would be roughly equal, so the big thing is the more fat in the heavy cream yogurt. Delicious, either way!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
Wouldn't the culturing process itself decrease the amount of carbs? The bacteria feed on the sugar in the milk/cream so the final product has less sugar than when it started. I think it's a pretty safe thing to eat. I prefer to make mine with coconut cream. Yum yum.
DlaneyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Heavy cream is 6g carbs per cup.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
So a quart of heavy cream yogurt would be 24 grams if all of them are counted! Sweet! And tastes so rich and wonderful, too. It confused me for a few minutes as the label on the half and half lists 1 carb per 2 T serving, and the heavy cream lists less than one carb per 1 T serving. Thanks for that link. I'll try the coconut cream, since it would be 28 grams per quart. Does it work just as well for making yogurt??

Last edited by scintillady; 08-19-2014 at 03:53 PM..
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
No isn't this way off!? You lose they whey and the process causes sugar milks to be eaten, by the cultures, or good bacteria, isn't that correct, so I'm not a yogurt eater, but isn't it even lower to drain much of the whey off? Curious, I like Greek yogurt, isn't Greek lower, a bit more watery then yo cheese? That I actually liked.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
That is my understanding. Greek yogurt has fewer carbs due to the lack of whey.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
So a quart of heavy cream yogurt would be 24 grams if all of them are counted! Sweet! And tastes so rich and wonderful, too. It confused me for a few minutes as the label on the half and half lists 1 carb per 2 T serving, and the heavy cream lists less than one carb per 1 T serving. Thanks for that link. I'll try the coconut cream, since it would be 28 grams per quart. Does it work just as well for making yogurt??
I'm not sure if the coconut cream thrives on the same culture as dairy would. I've heard you can start it by mixing a can of coconut cream with some store bought plain coconut milk yogurt or that you can add the contents of a probiotic capsule to the coconut cream and let it culture a few days. I got my starter culture from my naturopath. It is fabulous because coconut cream gets so thick when it is chilled. Much thicker than cream or half and half.

Again, I think your carb counts are high - the actual count will be much lower because the culture feeds off of the sugar. My naturopath told me to eat it without restriction because it should have no impact on my blood sugar. I've tested it and she was right. I eat 2-4 oz a day. I would eat more if I could afford it.
DlaneyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote