LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 145.8/125.4/125
WOE: LC + JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
Appetite outside ketosis

Hey folks! I've been doing Atkins for just about a month now, trucking along in OWL, headed toward pre-maintenance in a few pounds (eek!). I'm taking in about 25g net carbs daily, but of course have aspirations of continuing to move up. My question is, in other people's experience, once you hit a net carb level that takes you out of ketosis (say, 50g net carbs a day) does your appetite increase significantly?

I'm wondering because so far, one of the best benefits of Atkins for me has been that I'm satisfied on far fewer calories, so it's very easy for me to stay at a deficit. I've read that appetite suppression is one of the benefits of ketosis, and I'd hate to suddenly go back to experiencing the kind of hunger that can derail or reverse weight loss.

I'd love to hear people's experiences with continuing to lose or being in maintenance at a non-ketogenic level of carbs. Thanks!
Snackycake is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Do you want to be out of ketosis? Plenty of people maintain their weight while being in ketosis by eating the right number of calories. I've pretty well maintained while mostly ketogenic for 2yrs. I'm trying to lose again but I have no worries about maintaining while in ketosis again later. Yes, while out of ketosis my appetite increases.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mephy
Stats: 155/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: August 2002
Even while in maintenance, you'll be in ketosis sometimes, HOWEVER, you may get more hungry because the appetite suppressant effects of ketosis will be less than before.

I've found that I prefer OWL levels of carbs even in Maintenance (with the very occasional exception). I've also found that with Atkins, my weight has settled to just about where it needs to be regardless of how little carbs I eat. I don't restrict calories at all. YMMV
mephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 145.8/125.4/125
WOE: LC + JUDDD
Start Date: July 2014
Thanks for the replies. I'm perfectly happy to remain in ketosis for the time being, it feels nice and safe here! :haha: But as I move up the carb ladder and see where I settle in terms of CCLL and ACE, I'd just like to be prepared for any eventuality.

Also, I asked because I'm concerned/curious about situations further into the future, for instance pregnancy (I'm 28), when it may not be considered safe to remain in ketosis. At that point, I'd probably want to stay low carb to maintain my health and avoid gaining too much weight, and just wondered how manageable it would be.
Snackycake is offline   Reply With Quote