LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Talk to me about...

shirataki noodles. I've been eating tofu for years and it's ok...but these things <shudder>. They're kind of slimy and smell. I opened the package this morning and just stuck it all back in a ziploc and am not sure I can bring myself to try them. Is it really possible to make these palatable...or is this just a desperate attempt for people to believe they can still have 'spaghetti'?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
They are a bit stinky but I assure you, they don't taste that way. I think it is a love or hate situation.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Do I have to rinse them or something and what's the best way to cook them?
Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Rinse them well and I find that microwaving for 2 mins., drain and repeat one more time is the easiest and best way to 'prepare' them. The point is to reduce the amount of water in them so they take on the flavour of your sauce or whatever you are using them in.

Last edited by clackley; 08-17-2014 at 06:06 AM..
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

I first bought a bag and it sat in my fridge for about a year before I tossed it. It took another 6 months or longer to give it an chance. This time, I was turned off by the smell but persisted. I am glad I did.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I wanted to love them. I tried them a few times but in the end the texture was gross.
I just couldn't do it. could not keep eating them.

I am not a spaghetti eater. I wanted to have 'something to fill me up big time' to control me. while these did that, the texture of them in the end was something my mouth could not handle

but wow I lost on them. I had a big old pile of noodles with some alfredo sauce and brocc. thrown in. stuffed to the max!! Had to force each bite and chew, lol. I lost weight after easily if I ate til super full and it controlled me....but in the end... YUCK! I could not keep eating them.

Last edited by Trigger828; 08-17-2014 at 06:49 AM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
some people just think they are miraculous and wonderful. some of us think they are horrifying and inedible. I don't think you are really ever going to get over that. you can make them less bad, but with all the good food in the world? I wouldn't bother. I fall for them when I see a package for 99 cents, and it never changes. yuck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I was prepared to hate them after all I read. But, I fixed them according to the directions and they were pretty good. Rinsed them VERY well, then boiled them, I think, then pan dried them. It that process that finally convinced me they were too much work! But, if you're looking for a noodle substitute, Mellissa at I breathe I'm hungry used her pancake recipe to make noodles. Love them!

Just look for her egg fast fettuccine. It should be separate and also with her egg fast recap.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mephy
Stats: 155/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: August 2002
You can also get rid of the strong taste by dry roasting them in a pan until they make a squeaky sound when you move them around the pan (cook on high for a minute or so). Then, you can use them in your recipe. It makes it more pasta-like and gets rid of the weird taste. Do a Google search and there are all kinds of sites with tips.

I'm half Japanese and hate them.
mephy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #10

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I only like them in Asian style stir fry, and even for that I prefer kelp noodles. For Italian dishes I prefer spiral cut zucchini zoodles or spaghetti squash.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/248/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
I bought some quite thick ones that didn't have added tofu and I HATED them...even using them in a Korean dish that has a somewhat similar textured noodle that I love (JapChae). But then I got House brand ones with tofu and a much skinnier size and used a strong flavoured asian sauce with them in a stirfry (sesame oil, tamari soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and peanut butter) and I really really like them. I also rinsed them a lot and then boiled them for a minute before using.
Willgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rainypep
Stats: 228(242-highest)/154/Prego #3/125
WOE: my plan
Start Date: 3/9/06
they are similar to an Asian type noodle dish I like and so consequently I think they taste best in an Asian preparation. Agreed that I can't do Italian things with them...but I have never been a lover of pasta anyway, so I don't miss that at all. But I do love being able to make Asian style noodles with my family, my husband is Chinese and loves noodles and rice as do our boys and they love these as well. They are not stinky after cooking...that made my husband disappointed, he loves stinky foods! lol!
Rainypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
I like them now, I hated them when I first tried them. The key, like everyone else said, is in the preparation-and not sniffing them before you rinse them in water a few times. That's all I do to them before I add them to whatever is in the pan. I agree that they take better to an Asian style preparation. The texture reminds me of rice vermicelli. Some people make Mac and cheese with them, and I can't help thinking that it could work... Alas, that I cannot eat cheese and lose weight.......
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
The smell does go away if you rinse them well, and dry fry them as suggested above (they do not stick to the pan). But the texture is also an issue. I'm fine with them in clear broth type soup or in stir fry, but with pasta sauce I can't get past the slightly crunchy textures. For Italian style "pasta" dishes, I make "zoodles" by julienning zucchini with a "Vegetti".
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
I dont mean to be gross, but i have to tell you my experience. I ate them once and they didnt digest or something.... They came out in my poo like i didnt chewed them. It freaked me out and will never eat them again!!!!!!

Last edited by Atkins Chick; 08-17-2014 at 07:41 PM..
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I just prepare them as the package directs, never had a problem. Konjac noodles are nothing new, just insoluble fiber from a tuber. I like them, but it's a texture thing.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I like them, but I think eating them every day would put me off.

They do smell, and I rinse them under running water until the smell is gone. Then I put them in a hot dry skillet and dry fry them for a minute or two until most of the water is evaporated. I then add whatever sauce and food I want to use to the pan and cook until hot. Works and the rubbery texture is less too... I think it is a personal taste thing though. Like marmite, you either love them or hate them, LOL!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Microwaving them like Clackley said has been the best method for me. I've tried them other ways, but this one is by far the best method, IMHO. I didn't like them when I first tried them, but now I set them quite often. If fact, I just got the macaroni style for making macaroni salad.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone. I ended up rinsing them *well* and then put them on a paper towel to blot up the excess water before throwing them in a pan to 'dry fry' (as someone suggested) before turning them into a Lo Mein type dish. I ended up picking the meat and vegies out and tossing the noodles. Just something 'wrong' about them (and I like tofu so I don't think it was the texture). There was a flavor there that the other seasonsings just didn't cover up.

Anyway...interesting experiment.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Great that you tried them and now know you don't like them. As you know, that is a common finding.

I would not have used the ones with tofu as that is a soy product (with all the problems with soy) and I have tried that variety and found them less palatable. Personal taste and preference.... no accounting for that.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/212/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
After failed attempts at finding them local i just purchased some on Amazon. Will try them with chuck steaks, eggs and Mrs. Dash. taste buds are not fussy.

Last edited by kay9; 08-25-2014 at 02:03 PM..
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flinderella
Stats: <private>
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
Shirataki noodles

I have had them a few times - mainly when I first started on the LC WOE and I was massively enthusiastic about all the strange new foods I was finding (things have settled a lot now!)

They are ok - easy to find/buy/prepare but I find courgetti/zoodles/whateveryoucalltheminyourhouse MUCH much better. They are tastier, more nutritious, a source of fibre and I find a better 'replacement' for pasta.

However, what I really wanted to say was that I tend not to use 'replacements' now, rather, I think about 'meals' not as starch + veg but protein + veg and have (I think!) successfully made that psychological switch. That's been key for me and I know I'm there since when people ask me 'what do you eat?' or 'how do you live without pasta?' my initial thoughts are more along the lines of 'what are you on about?!' rather than 'how do I explain this weird diet to this person?'

Do you know what I am trying to say...?! Sorry if it's not clear
flinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinderella View Post
I have had them a few times - mainly when I first started on the LC WOE and I was massively enthusiastic about all the strange new foods I was finding (things have settled a lot now!)

They are ok - easy to find/buy/prepare but I find courgetti/zoodles/whateveryoucalltheminyourhouse MUCH much better. They are tastier, more nutritious, a source of fibre and I find a better 'replacement' for pasta.

However, what I really wanted to say was that I tend not to use 'replacements' now, rather, I think about 'meals' not as starch + veg but protein + veg and have (I think!) successfully made that psychological switch. That's been key for me and I know I'm there since when people ask me 'what do you eat?' or 'how do you live without pasta?' my initial thoughts are more along the lines of 'what are you on about?!' rather than 'how do I explain this weird diet to this person?'

I do know what you are trying to say! It is clear that you don't miss those old ways of eating! Same, same!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinderella View Post

Yep...same here. I found that by just changing the way I eat, rather than finding replacements for all the goodies I used to eat, my mind seemed to accept this as a way of life rather than a 'diet'.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/212/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Had some last night w/ Steak Chunks and 2 eggs (also a side a salad) and i love it. Def' absorbs the flavors and did not mind the texture at all. Also very filling that i have quite a bit left over for tonight.
There was a smell when i opened up the packaging so i followed the instructions of rinsing them in a colander with cold water for 5 minutes then blanch for 1-2 minutes before adding them to the frying pan of coconut oil and protein.

Last edited by kay9; 08-27-2014 at 09:16 AM..
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I think they taste fine and the texture is fine, too.
However, like some previous posters, I find I really don't need them in my diet.
At some point, for variety, I may indeed eat them again, but they are not on my regular shopping list. Pork rinds are like that for me. Once in a while is enough.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe CarboNot
Stats: 233/178/ Hit Goal
WOE: Atkins by way of Medifast
Start Date: Sept 2013
The worst food I ever encountered in the 11 months on a low carb diet. Could not digest them. Since going low carb, I have gained a new appreciation for Kale, red cabbage, tofu, peppers, flax powder. Everything tastes great...
Those noodles were probably the one exception. Nice to know I wasn't the only one.
To those who like them, I commend you.
Joe CarboNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaJavaBleue
I like the Pasta Zero Plus brand of shirataki

I prepare mine with a spicy red sauce with plenty of beef, italian sausage, leeks, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, and hot sauce for some heat. all topped with parmesan and fresh (not dried) oregano, once plated.

while it's not traditional flour based pasta, i like it for what it is when I prepare it.
LaJavaBleue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
i will try the microwave way of getting the moisture out - i also rinse very well, blot with paper towels, and dry fry. I like them with pesto sauce.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I really like them with carbonara sauce.... And with any kind of nice creamy sauce actually, LOL!

My trick is to really dry cook them in a frying pan after rinsing: Add the noodles to a pan with no fat and heat on high and stir for about 2 to 5 minutes. Once dry enough, I add about a spoonful of sauce to the pan and stir vigorously to coat everything well, and to let the flavour infuse the noodles. Then onto a plate and add the sauce/topping. This works well for me.

ETA: I find that they really are a great addition to my Keto WOE. Especially on days where I need to watch my protein intake, I can still have some 'food' with a nice sauce to up my fat ratio for example.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Last edited by Mimosa23; 08-29-2014 at 12:04 AM..
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote