Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buggaboo73
Is this normal?

Hey everyone!

I'm on day 5, doing about 30-40 cabs a day. I think I have entered ketosis, having read up on it in other threads and identifying with a few of the signs.

My issue at the moment is this: I feel hungry, shaky and a little light headed.....but I have no interest in food. As in, it grosses me out, even food I like.

Not too happy with this development, is this a normal part of the process? Is it temporary? Am I eating too much of this / that and not enough of something else? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
buggaboo73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/210/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
I did not go through this but could be the good ole Induction flu.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

An FB friend just suggested low blood sugar, and as soon as she mentioned it I had a light bulb moment. So, I blew 6 carbs on a tspn of honey but it was sooo good and lo and behold....I feel steadier.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

(PS I'm not sure if honey was the best option or not -- if any of you more experienced folks have a better suggestion I'm open to hearing it. I am not an expert on nutritional science by any means.)

Last edited by buggaboo73; 08-15-2014 at 09:40 AM..
Old 08-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Yes, normal. I've read it has to do with sodium depletion from your kidneys when you go into ketosis. Drink a cup of salty bouillon (like those little chicken or beef cubes) - it helps me a lot.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Oh GAWWWD I love bouillon. I love salt. I'm on it.....(and thanks!)
Old 08-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Are you diabetic?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I am not, although type 2 runs almost 100% on the maternal line. I'm only 41, and most develop it in their 60's in the family. My mother became hypoglycemic in her 50's and I am wondering if I need to look into that.

The knowledge that I am at high risk for diabetes (both parents have it, however my father has it due to agent orange exposure -- and my mother's entire family has it) is one reason I want to make this change now.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I guess I am going to have to do some research on ways to keep my blood sugar stable and still stay in my carb range. I really am woefully ignorant when it comes to nutrition. It occurred to me after the honey, that fruit would have been a better choice because at least there is fiber in it.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Well duh me.....there is an entire diabetic section on here. Guess that's a good place to start for ideas on blood sugar regulation.

Don't mind me, I'ma just talk to myself a while.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Administrator

Really, something like peanutbutter is better than any sugary based food IF you're not diabetic.
You don't want to spike your blood sugar (as long as it's not dangerously low), you kind of want to get it to rise slowly.
So something like peanut butter, nuts, things with a small amount of carbs will normally do the trick.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post

Really, something like peanutbutter is better than any sugary based food IF you're not diabetic.
You don't want to spike your blood sugar (as long as it's not dangerously low), you kind of want to get it to rise slowly.
So something like peanut butter, nuts, things with a small amount of carbs will normally do the trick.
OK, thank you. I'm actually surprised my blood sugar got so low, because the last thing I'd eaten was a small bite of dark chocolate with a little smear of PB on it. Maybe it caused a spike then a dip. I don't know....all this definitely has my wheels turning, though. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
ok, but you don't really KNOW your blood sugar was low. you didn't test it, right? we are very bad at sensing that in general, which is why diabetics have glucose monitors. sugar makes most of us feel perky, no matter what our blood sugar or how bad it is for us. don't do the honey thing, please, if you are trying to get your insulin levels to balance.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
ok, but you don't really KNOW your blood sugar was low. you didn't test it, right? we are very bad at sensing that in general, which is why diabetics have glucose monitors. sugar makes most of us feel perky, no matter what our blood sugar or how bad it is for us. don't do the honey thing, please, if you are trying to get your insulin levels to balance.
You are correct.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
I agree with Ravenrose. It's sounds to me like keto flu. Your body is switching from using glucose to ketones for it's fuel. There are many threads on keto flu that might help and reassure you. Salty broth is great during this time. Throw in a pat of butter and make even better.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggaboo73 View Post
Well duh me.....there is an entire diabetic section on here. Guess that's a good place to start for ideas on blood sugar regulation.

Don't mind me, I'ma just talk to myself a while.
The was for this part, not your questions or dilemma
Old 08-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
The was for this part, not your questions or dilemma
Oh no, I mean thanks for the clarification, but I understood that. I'm pretty easy going.

I just want to say I really appreciate the support. I will probably not be a long term member (I just read up on the some things and realized I'm probably about 127% too prone to meandering off topic, swearing, and making sexual innuendo and it's a fair certainty that I will eventually offend someone here) but in any case, I do appreciate the support you guys have shown me in this short time period and I wish you all great success.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ashryan
Stats: 181/166/125 - HW/CW/GW
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay9 View Post
I did not go through this but could be the good ole Induction flu.
what is this? im on week 2 and woke up today totally sick for absolutely no reason. I thought I came down with a cold but I can never tell them apart anyway this may explain how I feel lol
ashryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
If you have no interest in food then don't eat! How is your fluid intake? Sounds a little like dehydration. But seriously, if your not interested in food don't eat. Low carb way of eating is a great appetite suppresent when it works right and it does wonders for cravings.
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I did a lower amount of carb about twenty years ago and I got the induction flu. I remember how that felt; your symptoms sound right-on. I didn't know about the salt thing. My mom says if you have insulin-resistance or diabetes you can feel low even if your glucose is normal. She's a type 2.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
I tend toward hypoglycemia...or did, anyway. Sometimes I would feel almost faint. "Need.Sugar.Now." That's your addiction talking. A handful of salted pecans will put you back on course...keep some in your purse. Avoid the sweet stuff as others have said, have some salty broth, and you should level out in another day or so and feel GRRRREAT!
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote