Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
greek yogurt carbs

Ok, but how is this even possible??

Can something have 12g total carbs and only 2g of sugar? Where's the rest...? And for that matter, how would yogurt have fiber in it? It doesn't say they added any. I have no idea how I would count this!
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Good question and here is how I understand it...

The rules for labelling mean that the producers have to report what the counts are for the ingredients as they go into a product like yogurt - milk. But what happens in yogurt is that the bacteria 'eat up' the sugars and these are then not present for the consumer. They are in the whey (watery part) and this can be drained. Greek yogurt comes drained.

I decided that it was super easy to make my own yogurt with higher fat milk (3.5%). It is a challenging question....
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Oh, hmmm....I have heard that Greek yogurt theory before, about the bacteria 'eating up' all the sugars. As far as I knew, American labels don't bother acknowledging that, but it kind of looks like this label is doing BOTH, which is what's so confusing. And I don't know which number to trust! 2g is good...12g not so good. And then there's still the matter of fiber. It really is complicated!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoparty! View Post
Oh, hmmm....I have heard that Greek yogurt theory before, about the bacteria 'eating up' all the sugars. As far as I knew, American labels don't bother acknowledging that, but it kind of looks like this label is doing BOTH, which is what's so confusing. And I don't know which number to trust! 2g is good...12g not so good. And then there's still the matter of fiber. It really is complicated!
I count 6 carbs total for 2/3 cup of full fat Greek yogurt.... No fibre. I couldn't begin to figure out yogurt that us made from just skim milk... hurts my head too much! May be best to just consume a small amount.

Last edited by clackley; 08-15-2014 at 03:29 PM..
Old 08-16-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcmike
Stats: 300/253/200
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2, 2014
The problem is we get no or low fat greek yogurt here. The full fat would be a lot better from a carb perspective, but the highest I ever see is 2%.
dcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Health food stores may carry Greek Goddess which is a good one. You can make your own too with whole milk and even some cream. It doesn't take any special equipment except a thermometer and even that, some people don't use....
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Cabot makes one that is 10% milk fat. Yummy! Greek yogurt.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcmike
Stats: 300/253/200
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Cabot makes one that is 10% milk fat. Yummy! Greek yogurt.
Nice! I'll have to look for this one.
dcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Here's the link
Greek-Style Yogurt : Plain Greek-Style Yogurt : Other...

Tastes like cream

Since I only had it at breakfast and I measured 8 oz, it was like a treat.

Last edited by MaryMary; 08-18-2014 at 03:31 AM..
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

And see, this Cabot one also has the same nutritional info thing going on - 12g total carbs, but 5g sugars. Maybe the US really is starting to count the 'sugar-eating bacteria' on the label...? Somehow?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I KNEW this was weird!! This article just came out a few days ago on the NY Post:

Customers are suing Whole Foods Market for “vastly understating” the amount of sugar in its store-brand yogurt.

A class-action lawsuit filed Friday in Manhattan federal court cites six tests by Consumer Reports in a July report on the supermarket chain’s Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Plain Greek Yogurt, revealing it actually contains 11.4 grams of sugar per 170-gram serving instead of the 2 grams listed on the label.

“Defendant’s act in vastly understating the sugar content . . . is not harmless trivia,” the suit says. “For many members of the class, sugar content is an important component of their diet.”

The suit, involving about 100 plaintiffs, alleges that competing Greek yogurts typically contain 5 to 10 grams of sugar and that no yogurt on the market can claim 2 grams of sugar because even unsweetened yogurt naturally contains more than 2 grams of sugar lactose.

The sugar content in Whole Foods’ yogurt is nearly as high as an ice-cream sandwich, which contains 13 grams, the suit claims.

The suit cites the chain’s Web site, which claims a registered dietician regularly reviews each nutrition label of Whole Foods products for accuracy.
“Unless this statement on the defendant’s Web site is false, then Whole Foods Market was fully aware of the contents of its store-brand Greek yogurt and of the fact that the yogurt’s actual sugar content was dramatically higher than what is stated on the label,” the suit says.

Whole Foods says it has removed the yogurt and is investigating the publication’s report.

“We strive to only provide the highest quality products with accurate product labeling under our 365 Everyday Value line. This product was tested by a reputable third-party lab using FDA-approved testing methodology to determine the labeling,” said spokesman Michael Sinatra.

“While we continue to investigate Consumer Reports claims, we have removed our 365 Everyday Value Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt from store shelves.”

The suit alleges that Whole Foods knowingly falsified the yogurt labels.

“Defendant made it seem as if the higher price of this product was justified because it had only 2 grams of sugar per serving, which — if true — would have made it the Greek yogurt with lowest sugar content on the market,” the suit says.

It seeks $5 million in damages.

And yet, I don't feel especially vindicated here. Just exasperated. Hoo, boy.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #12
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/181/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
last time I low carbed I added in yogurt. I have a yogurt maker (plug in type) and made my own with a combination of cream and just a little milk. I don't know if I still have the ratio I used somewhere, but may have to pull it out again as I get closer to goal. I really have no idea how to count the carbs for it either. I typically do total carbs, not net but have heard for years the carbs are not really as high as they seem on yogurt. my weight loss is slower this time, so I will weight till I am close or at goal before adding it in, I think. but it was REALLY good. mine was pretty darn thick without even draining it like they do for greek yogurt.
stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Dana Carpender has advocated and supported the "yogurt theory" in her books. She got that information from the GO diet. The GO Diet can be found reviewed on amazon, and one of them states that dieters are encouraged to eat yogurt daily and not worry about the carbs from that, since the probiotics are very healthy! So, I include yogurt in my diet and don't worry about the pesky sugar/carb content. I buy the plain full fat kind and add my own stuff to it and I find it very yummy!!!!
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Ok, but how is this even possible??

Can something have 12g total carbs and only 2g of sugar? Where's the rest...? And for that matter, how would yogurt have fiber in it? It doesn't say they added any. I have no idea how I would count this!
Just saw in Consumer Reports October 2014 issue that came in the mail today - they wondered the same thing: why does Whole Foods plain Greek yogurt have only 2 g sugar when other brands have 5-10 g sugar per cup? They did an independent analysis and found an average of 11.6 g sugar per serving. They note, "Whole Foods is investigating the matter."
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
This is so typical the way the food industry wants to hide the sugar from us....
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: believer170
WOE: experimenting
Start Date: Aug 28 2004
I've made my key lime Greek yogurt last 4 days. Lol I take a spoonful when I'm craving something sweet. My roommate actually threw it out thinking it was left open and forgotten I was so sad I missed the last few delicious bites.
believer170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer170 View Post
I've made my key lime Greek yogurt last 4 days. Lol I take a spoonful when I'm craving something sweet. My roommate actually threw it out thinking it was left open and forgotten I was so sad I missed the last few delicious bites.
Goodness, what itty bitty amount do you eat at once? Even without Whole Foods lying all over the place, Greek yogurt isn't TOO bad on sugars...(although everyone does things differently of course)
Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
would love for one of you to post how to make the thick creamy greek yogurt at home ! TIA !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: believer170
WOE: experimenting
Start Date: Aug 28 2004
Quote:
Goodness, what itty bitty amount do you eat at once? Even without Whole Foods lying all over the place, Greek yogurt isn't TOO bad on sugars...(although everyone does things differently of course)
I could eat half at a time and feel ok about it but I've been a little more strict this week. I also hadn't thought about the sugar being processed by the bacteria so that's a little comforting that maybe that 12 is actually a 2!
believer170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I make my own yogurt in a yogurt maker. If I want a greek style yogurt I add cream to the full fat milk and then the bacteria. I have a special yogurt drainer that I use after making the yogurt to get rid of some of the whey. I don't really know how much sugar or how many carbs are in there, but since I only eat it irregularly and in small servings (3oz) I don't worry too much. I don't get thrown out of ketosis when eating yogurt, so I guess it's ok for me.

I think everyone has to test for themselves what kind of effect yogurt has on them and whether it can be part of their LC WOE.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SitLongTalkMuch
Stats: 164.8/134.2/???
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: 02/21/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
would love for one of you to post how to make the thick creamy greek yogurt at home ! TIA !
Too make one gallon I use 14 cups whole milk, 2 cups heavy cream and one cup plain yogart.

Heat milk & cream to 185 F. Take off heat and let sit 10 minutes. Cool mixture to 120 F. Pour into two Yogotherms (each hold 1/2 gallon) add 1/2 cup plain yogart to each and stir.

Incubate 4 hours (this sometimes changes depending on house temps).

Pour thickened yogart into cheesecloth lined strainer (strainer set in deep bowl) and refrigerate for 12 or so hours. I have to dump the whey twice during the draining process so the bottom of the strainer doesn't sit in the whey and not allow it to drain.

It is normally about the consistency of cream cheese when we eat it.

End result is 1/2 gallon of whey & 1/2 gallon yo cheese/greek yogart.

I use the whey in bread, pizza crust etc for the family or give it to my chickens.
SitLongTalkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/...aker-2-QT.html

I have two of these with two extra inserts. I have been using them for 6 + years and they are great.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Dana Carpender has advocated and supported the "yogurt theory" in her books. She got that information from the GO diet. The GO Diet can be found reviewed on amazon, and one of them states that dieters are encouraged to eat yogurt daily and not worry about the carbs from that, since the probiotics are very healthy! So, I include yogurt in my diet and don't worry about the pesky sugar/carb content. I buy the plain full fat kind and add my own stuff to it and I find it very yummy!!!!
I eat 1/2 to 1 cup of plain homemade yogart everyday. To keep it simple I just call it 8 carbs per cup. I have had no trouble losing while eating it.

I love to stir 1/8 cup pumpkin, cinnamon & 1T Gingerbread Torani syrup into 1/2 c yogart for dessert.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
wow ! Thanks for all the info ! Very interesting I may have to try that.

One question : the 1 cup of yogurt you mix with milk/hwc ~~ is it greek or reg ?

TIA !!
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
wow ! Thanks for all the info ! Very interesting I may have to try that.

One question : the 1 cup of yogurt you mix with milk/hwc ~~ is it greek or reg ?

TIA !!
I use Dannon Plain nonfat. I have been making yogart for over 15 years and the Dannon always produces good yogart. I buy the big tub and freeze 1/2 cup portions in a muffin tin. Once frozen I pop them out and store in a freezer bag. Just thaw them at room temp before making the yogart.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosemary~
Stats: 244/113
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: February 2011
I'm interested in putting some whey, drained from yogurt, in my homemade mayonnaise to extend the shelf life. If the whey consumes the sugar and I add that whey to my mayo, about 1 TBL per yolk, will I be getting a lot of sugar in my mayonnaise?
Rosemary~ is offline   Reply With Quote