Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MichelleM
Stats: no ideaaa what I weigh:)
WOE: atkins
Start Date: did Atkins successfully in 2010.Got to goal.
Nutritarian? Anyone watch PBS tonight?

This might not be posted in the right place but did anyone see the PBS special tonight with the doctor who wrote the Nutritarian book called 'NO More Diets'? I think that was the name of it.

Anyway I found it interesting. Increasing veggies, DUH! Lowering meats. Hmmm..
It DOES make sense now that Im in menopause to lower my meat intake. he did say to eat beans a lot. Hmm

Id love anyones input on this.
MichelleM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Why do you think it makes sense to lower meat intake and replace it with legumes? If I was going to replace muscle meat with anything I'd replace it with offal, not legumes.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I think the doctor on that program promotes a vegetarian WOE.

Why do you think you need to reduce meat intake in menopause?

I'm well past menopause, and from everything I've read "senior" women need more protein in their diets rather than less. It's to help protect against the muscle loss of aging (along with resistance exercise), among other issues.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
This might not be posted in the right place but did anyone see the PBS special tonight with the doctor who wrote the Nutritarian book called 'NO More Diets'? I think that was the name of it.

Anyway I found it interesting. Increasing veggies, DUH! Lowering meats. Hmmm..
It DOES make sense now that Im in menopause to lower my meat intake. he did say to eat beans a lot. Hmm

Id love anyones input on this.
You would need to eat 'a lot of beans' to compensate for the loss of protein by reducing meat. Then comes the issue of 'quality' of protein which is inferior due to phytic acid. Here is a little explanation of what that is and why it is not great...

Quote:
Phytic acid...binds to nutrients in the food, preventing you from absorbing them. It doesn’t steal any nutrients that are already in your body, but it does make that bowl of lentils a lot less nutrient-dense than the Nutrition Facts panel would have you believe.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
Michelle, I don't know who the doctor is, but ladt yrar I gave up meat when I realized I ate only one meal that had meat in it, one that had greek yogurt and one that was vegan. I knew ai was eating way too much protein. I am not a body builder and am way past menopause. I was in menopause when I started this back in 2001 before losing 220 lbs. in the food I eat today, I still get between 60-70 grams of protein, even though there is no meat, eggs or dairy. More than enough for a woman. There is protein in everything we eat...everything. Not just meat. I am maintaining my weight without any problems, feeling totally satisfied, my numbers are quite healthy when tested at the doctors, blood pressure is 115/65, cholesterol is 149, tryglycerides were 34, sugars were 83 and HCL was 67. I have nothing to complain about. I am not advocating it for everyone because I know those that like meat and dairy like it for a reason. That is their right. I find what I do to be very satisfying and healthy too. Luckily, there is room for everyone in these rooms!

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Some women seem to do much better with a leaner, more plant based diet. It really just depends. You can always self experiment and see what your body responds to, but I wouldn't personally ditch animal protein for more than a serving of legumes, properly soaked, per day
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
It's Dr. Joel Furhman.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
I'm glad I personally ditched the meat last year. Don't miss it in the least. Dairy made me sick. Eggs I am still on the edge about. If I were to have an animal source it would be some fish source most likely but not cooked in our house most likely at a restaurant. Our doctor reminds us that being vegan isn't a religion. She still has fish when she eats out on occasion. But my other doctor hasn't had meat, eggs or dairy in five years. Neither one pushed me into it. But I did have three members of my family who had switched over and I watched them and how their lives changed healthwise. And i wanted it.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote