LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
Hair loss

Ive been low carbing for 4 straight months and have noticed my hair is getting really sparse in the front of my scalp where my bangs are
I read online that low carbing can cause this. Has anyone experienced this? Does it grow back? What suppliments are you taking and has it helped?
Ive low carbed in the past and i remember one other time where i was losing hair pretty steadily and stopped this WOE because of it.
I really enjoy the benefits of this WOE but cant sacrifice my hair for it.
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
I lost a lot of hair when I lost weight, and my bangs nearly disappeared and my part area got very thin. I attribute that to either the weight loss or my thyroid. But it is growing back and I've remained low carb the entire time. I highly doubt low carbing causes hair loss, Hair needs protein I hear and we eat plenty of that.

I took biotin supplements for awhile but they seems to have caused some inflammation in my liver so I stopped that.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
My hair is falling out a bit fast. Things are a little thin around the front and I'm none to pleased but I'll take hair loss for weight loss. I asked my doctor and he shrugged and said it's to be expected given how much weight I've lost. I decided to take it as a NSV
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
When we lose weight it is a possibility that we lose more hair too. Unfortunate but it happens. (LC is not the culprit, it can happen with any diet where we lose a significant amount of weight)

Good things to help with stopping hair loss are:

- biotin, 5mg daily
- a good vitamin B complex
- silica
- Diatomaceous earth
- getting plenty of good oils/fats
- eggs
- collagen, you can drink bone broth to get this, or gelatin (great lakes do a really good gelatin)
- not washing your hair everyday, making sure your scalp is healthy
- using a natural shampoo, without SLS, SLES, silicone, petroleum derived ingredients (I use a shampoo with a special fermented lactic acid complex with only natural ingredients, this has done wonders for my scalp and hair)
- neem oil hair and scalp treatment
- regular scalp massage and brushing with a boar bristle natural brush daily
- spirulina and chlorella supplementation
- making sure you get enough minerals
- vitamin D3 and sunshine
- drinking enough water

I know it's a long list! (the above do wonders for skin too)

I had been having terrible trouble with my scalp, thin listless hair and it was falling out much more than I was used to, and the above things have turned around my hair disaster into nice shiny, soft, healthy hair and scalp, and my hair is growing at a normal rate again. It takes 2-3 months to see any results, so persistence pays off.

Good luck!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Last edited by Mimosa23; 08-14-2014 at 01:37 AM..
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
When we lose weight it is a possibility that we lose more hair too. Unfortunate but it happens. (LC is not the culprit, it can happen with any diet where we lose a significant amount of weight)

Good things to help with stopping hair loss are:

- biotin, 5mg daily
- a good vitamin B complex
- silica
- Diatomaceous earth
- getting plenty of good oils/fats
- eggs
- collagen, you can drink bone broth to get this, or gelatin (great lakes do a really good gelatin)
- not washing your hair everyday, making sure your scalp is healthy
- using a natural shampoo, without SLS, SLES, silicone, petroleum derived ingredients (I use a shampoo with a special fermented lactic acid complex with only natural ingredients, this has done wonders for my scalp and hair)
- neem oil hair and scalp treatment
- regular scalp massage and brushing with a boar bristle natural brush daily
- spirulina and chlorella supplementation
- making sure you get enough minerals
- vitamin D3 and sunshine
- drinking enough water

I know it's a long list! (the above do wonders for skin too)

I had been having terrible trouble with my scalp, thin listless hair and it was falling out much more than I was used to, and the above things have turned around my hair disaster into nice shiny, soft, healthy hair and scalp, and my hair is growing at a normal rate again. It takes 2-3 months to see any results, so persistence pays off.

Good luck!
What kind of shampoo are you using??
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I use a German brand: Bioturm shampoo for dry scalp. There is also another brand called Sanoll that is natural and has lactic acid. It's important that the foaming agent is very mild (so no SLS or SLES) and there are as few chemicals present as possible. Silicone in shampoo (or anywhere else IMO) is BAD!

xx
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
When I was a teen, I 'dieted' by eating much less, but since I had to eat whatever we had at home, I ate far too little protein--and I lost lots of hair. It later grew back when my eating was more balanced.

With my current weight loss, I was careful to meet my minimum protein needs and lost no hair at all. So I don't think it's low carb eating, since I've been eating about 20g of carbs for the past 6-7 years without any hair loss.

Hair loss can come from hypothyroid for some people, too.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Any major diet change and weight loss can cause hair loss, but the good news is that it's only temporary. I think it's called something like telogen efflovium.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Yes, this happened to me too. I have fine hair to begin with, not very thick, so it became noticeable to me. First thing I did was get rid of the bangs, changed my hair style and that helped. Now, it is beginning to come back. It never got bad enough to scare me off low carb. Overweight or thinning hair is not a great choice, but going back to a SAD diet wasn't an option for my health.

From my research on this, yes, it is common with a big weight loss. And, hair grows in cycles, so yes, it takes awhile to even out again. But IF the cause of your hair loss is weight loss, and not thyroid related or something else, it will
even out again when your body has adjusted to your woe and to the weight loss.

I have taken biotin and B12 vitamin supplements. Also tried a couple different products, shampoos and conditioners, which I think helped more with the appearance of rather than the actual thickness of my hair.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I've been blessed with very thick hair. Nonetheless, I believe I've shed it off at a faster rate during the last year. I've added a couple of teaspoons of unflavored geletain (great lakes brand) to at least one of my daily cups of coffee. I've read it takes some time for this to show up in hair and nails. I've been doing it for about 6 weeks now. In contrast to my hair, I've always had very thin nails. When I was much younger I tried gelatin to strengthen my nails. I don't recall it working, although I doubt I did it very long term.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #11

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I have had multiple surgeries and also a period of rapid weight loss where I experienced telogen effluvium. I take chewable biotin Nature's Way Biotin

My weight has been in a pretty narrow range for a couple of years now (although I am actively trying to lose again now) and also my last surgery was Dec 2012. My hair is back to normal.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I haven't noticed hair loss, but when I started taking amino acid supplements (I was taking individual ones but I'm sure a complete one would do the same), I noticed a 'crown' of new hairs a few months afterwards.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Whenever I go VLC within a month I lose hair and my skin becomes very dry (yes I eat high fat too). During time periods when I am more liberal with carbs my hair stops. I know there is a reason, I just forget what it is.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
Hang in there - chances are strong it's only temporary. It happened to me in the beginning as well, and my hair bounced right back.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Have to say that I had the reverse. I never had initial hair loss but over the last 20 months on a consistent low carb diet, my skin and hair has never looked better. Maybe it's something else...or maybe just a change in your body which will, most likely, correct itself over time.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Dr. Michael Eades (co-author of Protein Power) has an excellent blog. If you go search it, you can find a great post he wrote about hair loss. It was very reassuring.
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
It's a side effect of weight loss, regardless of whether it's LC or not. And I call shennanigans on it being a result of protein deficiency. Yes, hair loss is a sign of protein deficiency, but I don't think protein deficiency is always the cause. At the time I lost some of my hair, back at the beginning of my LC journey, I was eating 3 times the amount of protein I'm eating now. I can't even come close to that amount of protein anymore, it was just so much. My hair loss finally resolved itself once my body got used to the stress of weight loss. If it were due to protein deficiency, it should be falling out now that I'm eating 2/3 of the protein that I was eating at the time it was actually falling out, but it's not. It was strictly relegated to the period of time in the first 2 or 3 months of weight loss.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
Thank you all for the reassurance. I have hard water and that also stresses my hair out and makes it look dull and lifeless.
I started taking Biotin and B12. The last week or so ive noticed less strands in my hand when i run my fingers thru it. Im sure its not the vits working yet but perhaps a cycle my hairs going thru. None the less, its scary
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I'm 8 years post menopausal and I was seeing a lot of hair in my drain hair catcher after every shower, however, I didn't really notice a difference in my head. Then one day I was drying my hair and I burned my scalp....that opened my eyes. Then I noticed that when I lifted my hair, I could see thin areas of scalp, so I knew I was not replacing the lost hair with new growth. I'm slender so it had nothing to do with weight loss or low carbing as I first noticed the hair loss way before I started watching my carbs. In my case, it's hormonal (as confirmed by my doctor), and, unfortunately, will never reverse itself. I also take Biotin and use sulfate-free shampoo for thinning hair but haven't noticed a difference. I hate to be a downer, but I just wanted to point out that menopause and hormones can be playing a major part.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

For me the biggest difference in my hair was getting rid of conventional sulphate and silicone containing shampoos, conditioners and hair products. The transition period was awful, but now I'll never go back!

I definitely think hormones play a very big role, so we can only support our bodies by nourishing them well and not using damaging chemicals that can only exacerbate the situation IMO.

I've now finished with my DE and colloidal silica round (I do one for three months twice a year) and I'm seeing lots of new hair growth. It looks silly, lots of fluff, but it is there!

My scalp has also calmed down.