Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
Any New Englanders missing Market Basket?

Where are you going to buy groceries? I thouht we could pull together to post weekly sales and deals on low carb food to help each other out till they fix this whole debacle.
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/199/190 (11/1/14); 5'7", 51 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
BIG TIME! Heading to Trader Joe's today.

At this point I'm not looking for sale items, I looking for quality products. Kerry Gold butter, Silk coconut milk, unrefined coconut oil, meat, produce, etc. - these are not easy to find among other products.

At this point I'm hunting and pecking around for what I need - it's TERRIBLE!
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

The closest Trader Joes for me is in Acton MA. Which is about 50 min away. I have tomorrow off, i think i will take a ride to it i cant wait to see what they have.
Atkins Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michread
Stats: 210/199/190 (11/1/14); 5'7", 51 yof
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: July 2014; 6 yrs Atkins success/failure
TJ's is about 20 min away from me. Do you live near Costco? I don't, but I hear they have great prices.

I didn't buy much meat or produce at TJ's but spent $244 (my big boys LOVE the Indian frozen meals). I've been going to the farm near me for vegs and a local grocery store for meat (NOT a good selection).

Last edited by Michread; 08-14-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Michread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
YES!!! The only place near me where I could purchase full fat Fage yogurt. Also good European butter and cream for a reasonable price. Also, loved the meats and the butcher that would share ideas on how to fix them. Plus the produce, cheese, etc..... Miss my Market Basket, but holding firm with the employees. I'm back shopping where I used to shop - Hannaford, and now find it sorely lacking and more expensive.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Definitely missing it. i went by the Biddeford location the other day and there were 3 cars in the parking lot. Usually you have to drive around awhile to find a parking place. Went to Trader Joe's for some things and Hannaford for others. produce is remarkably inexpensive at the local Asian grocery, Tran's Market. I get produce and stuff like dried beans and rice, olives, etc. there even when Market Basket is open.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I go to Hannaford's for fresh produce and fruit. We go to Sam's club or Walmart for some stuff and TJ's for some. We took a ride down to Wegman's in Northboro to check it out. They have great prices. There will be one opening in Burlington Mass in the fall. We have a Whole Foods opening on Tuesday in Nashua but that is just another store designed to rip off the consumer with high prices. They will have some deals early on so we will be checking it out. But I don't see us going there on a regular basis. We have an Asian store in Nasua in the tree streets that has some nice fresh produce, meats and fresh fish. Shaw's is just ripping off the consumers. They will never get our business.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dawnpacz
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2006
I miss them terribly!! I have also been shopping at Hannaford's for meat and produce, and Wallyworld for other things. We are having a problem with these stores, they are price gouging. I am not buying as much as I do regularly (probably good for the waistline!). They are not having sales on basics, they raised the prices on the. Butter this week the cheapest I could find was $3.98 and before at Market Basked it was $2.50. I would like to hear what sales or bargins everyone is finding.
dawnpacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Ive been shopping at stop and shop. Ridiculous prices, but i have been using coupons and they double up to 99 cents. Stop and shop has a gas reward program. What ive found is, in the flyer they sometimes offer 5X the gas points if you purchase the gift card they have on special that week. Ive been purchasing the gift cards and will be saving them to do my christmas shopping and saving tons at the gas pump. Sometimes they offer a visa gift card. I will buy them and use them for future grocery trips or to pay my utilities that month and get the gas points. I fill my car at least twice a week due to my job being an hour away and ive been saving up to 2 dollars PER GALLON on every fill up.
I buy my coupons at The Coupon Clippers - Saving Together and i get the coupons i only use. Every little bit helps. I didnt realize theres a wagmans in MA. I will have to check it out. Also, price chopper offers a gas program as well and they have a lot of BOGO on meats and frozen fish
Old 08-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
There are two Wegmans ... One in Chestnut Hill and one in Northborogh Crossing Plaza with a third opening in Burlington in the fall. They will employ about 1400 total in all three. Can't wait until we get one in NH.

I don't think I can deal with all the coupon stuff and gift cards. That what I like about Market Basket. If you have coupons, great, but you don't need them to get a good price. They will be back.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote