Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Children's Obesity Ad

I recently saw this and I must say that I love it and how it shows how each small bad food choice adds up to generations of obesity and diabetes and heart attacks, all starting from what you feed supposedly fussy babies.

You have to scroll down for the video-

Anti-obesity advert that will make you think twice about your eating habits | Mail Online
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
That's a great video. Gave me the shivers. Thanks!
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
To be fair, feeding a baby fries on occasion does not a lifetime of obesity make. The opposite extreme of never giving a child refined, sugary, or carb-y foods isn't necessary for most metabolically normative children, but rather teaching them how to make solid and nutritious choices 90% of the time, so the occasional cookie or pizza slice is a rare, scrumptious treat. All or nothing isn't necessarily the best solution unless it has to be, by virtue of the symptoms present. I think the video has some excellent points, but I can easily see this being taken to the other extreme when really, most children don't require utter abstinence from all junk food and religiously scheduled exercise and burning of every DVD to remain healthy

- the mom of four normal weight, active, healthy kids who like carrots and scrambled eggs but STILL have a weekly pizza night.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It gets a thumbs down in my opinion.

Until the medical professionals get on board and acknowledge to everyone that 'healthy whole grains, low fat, and lots of fruit' is not healthy, people will continue to be addicted to these foods and be driven by their physiology to eat higher 'potency' carbs.

It is not enough to say make 'healthier eating choices'. It must be undoing all the years of brain washing that has gone on in every conceivable part of a modern life. It is trying to undo addictions.

This looks like another example of blaming the patient for his illness and shows little insight into why a person acts like this.

JMHO and I am sure lots of people will like this - I am just not one but thanks for sharing.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Also, I have to claim annoyance at the repeated birthday cake shots. Come on now, it isn't the cake once a year that is the issue - it's the daily habits, folks. I think the video got that across, but not as clearly as it could have.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I think the ad is showing how we eat now, and that that's what's extreme. A baby shouldn't be eating fast food french fries and kids shouldn't weigh 200 pounds and be out of breath from the simplest movement. I don't see it promoting some outrageous extreme never have any sugar view point.

What got me in a visceral way was the heavy breathing- having to live like that and what a toll it takes on your body, your life, and your family.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Also, I have to claim annoyance at the repeated birthday cake shots. Come on now, it isn't the cake once a year that is the issue - it's the daily habits, folks. I think the video got that across, but not as clearly as it could have.
You've missed the point entirely. It's not saying "occasional treats are bad". It's saying never teaching them the right way to live is bad.

Do you realize how addictive food even is for some of us?! Even the 'occasional treat' can prove to be damaging for us addicts. I posted about this in the PG, i really think you should read those posts.
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
I'll add that the part where the kid was 'hiding' food and eating it there - that's the sign of an addict. That hit home with me. Not saying the occasional treat will cause this, but the constant "just this once" when we ALL know better, does actually hurt. Or at least it can.
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
You've missed the point entirely. It's not saying "occasional treats are bad". It's saying never teaching them the right way to live is bad.

Do you realize how addictive food even is for some of us?! Even the 'occasional treat' can prove to be damaging for us addicts. I posted about this in the PG, i really think you should read those posts.
I haven't missed the point entirely. I'm saying it doesn't efficiently make the point of what the real issues in obesity are. They showed symptoms and correlating agents, but didn't deal with the cause.

And I am fully aware how addictive food can be - don't patronize me. That's my entire point. The underlying issue is what needs to be dealt with, not condemning foods or behaviors as the cause when it is endocrinology. Many people can consume birthday cake or fries on occasion without insulin responses that are off the charts and central body gross obesity. Not everyone is like me. Including my children. Some people can't have a bite - I get that, I'm an abstainer, myself. But food isn't the cause of the problem, and the ad pointing to parental behavior as the primary factor in obesity and related symptoms of metabolic dysfunction is quite misleading.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
I'll add that the part where the kid was 'hiding' food and eating it there - that's the sign of an addict. That hit home with me. Not saying the occasional treat will cause this, but the constant "just this once" when we ALL know better, does actually hurt. Or at least it can.
Yes, and I think we all can point to how shaming and parental censure over this behavior makes it worse, not better. This ad showed only part of the story, and didn't actually give any useful help in dealing with the issues that cause and execrable obesity. It was a 'don't' list, which is entirely unhelpful when there is so much confusion and bad advice pertaining to what to actually 'do'.

Parents need to understand not isn't their moral failing or their children's habits and laziness that are primarily at fault. Correlation and causation are confused to the peril of many children and adults, alike, in dealing with and mitigating the symptoms of metabolic dysfunction.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
I haven't missed the point entirely. I'm saying it doesn't efficiently make the point of what the real issues in obesity are. They showed symptoms and correlating agents, but didn't deal with the cause.

And I am fully aware how addictive food can be - don't patronize me. That's my entire point. The underlying issue is what needs to be dealt with, not condemning foods or behaviors as the cause when it is endocrinology. Many people can consume birthday cake or fries on occasion without insulin responses that are off the charts and central body gross obesity. Not everyone is like me. Including my children. Some people can't have a bite - I get that, I'm an abstainer, myself. But food isn't the cause of the problem, and the ad pointing to parental behavior as the primary factor in obesity and related symptoms of metabolic dysfunction is quite misleading.
Wow, isn't it funny how we all can see the same thing and get a different message? What I took away, was how this young man' eating problem started. The birthday cakes were showing his life going backwards. Not a condemnation of birthday cakes.

It also didn't, IMO put all the blame on the parents. He was at the drive through ordering his own food. He was the one playing video games etc. I thought it was about how all of it CAN start. Of course it won't apply to everyone. But certainly the vast majority. And isn't that what food manufacturers want? Addicts? Get 'me hooked young, should be the slogan for most of the manufactures.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I was raised many years before fast food was even imagined in American culture, by a SAHM who cooked from scratch and shopped for fresh vegetables daily. We never had desserts--except for fruit occasionally. That once-a-year birthday cake was a major exception to our daily diet.

Yet about age 5, I began rapidly gaining weight and spent a lifetime as morbidly obese, only discovering why I was always hungry when I read Dr. Atkins' first book in 1972. By that time, I was 31, and my 'food issues' were firmly entrenched. It was many years of struggle before I could truly manage my weight.

Fast forward many years, and I saw my niece begin to gain weight at a very young age, despite a home where her mother (my sister) cooked much as our own mother did. Frantic, my sister consulted a pediatric endo who tested my niece (then age 10) and confirmed her problem as much like mine. However, despite offering an Rx to 'assist' in managing my niece's weight, the endo explained that it is extremely rare for a child to be able to manage her eating, no matter how seemingly motivated, until about age 14. It's entirely a developmental issue. Sadly, I saw that happen with my niece, who was 'eager' to manage her weight but helpless to control her urge to eat.

So the problem of 'fat children' is far more complex than French fries or birthday cakes. It's a complex issue, but our society is addicted to simple solutions and immediate results. It's an insult to both children and parents.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
I've seen parents who do give in to their young childrens temper tantrums and will feed them junk food when they don't want their normal food. When a child learns they dont have to eat the healthy meal on the table and can have fries and chicken nuggets instead they will continue to do so.
To me this video is saying ..Dont give in to what your child wants, give your children what YOU know is good for them. Teach them early on and that will start a life long habit of good eating.
I also think the birthday cakes were to just symbolize the years going by, not that cake on ones birthday is bad.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
So the problem of 'fat children' is far more complex than French fries or birthday cakes. It's a complex issue, but our society is addicted to simple solutions and immediate results. It's an insult to both children and parents.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Quote:
To be fair, feeding a baby fries on occasion does not a lifetime of obesity make. The opposite extreme of never giving a child refined, sugary, or carb-y foods isn't necessary for most metabolically normative children, but rather teaching them how to make solid and nutritious choices 90% of the time, so the occasional cookie or pizza slice is a rare, scrumptious treat. All or nothing isn't necessarily the best solution unless it has to be, by virtue of the symptoms present. I think the video has some excellent points, but I can easily see this being taken to the other extreme when really, most children don't require utter abstinence from all junk food and religiously scheduled exercise and burning of every DVD to remain healthy

- the mom of four normal weight, active, healthy kids who like carrots and scrambled eggs but STILL have a weekly pizza night.
I agree with you Arctic Mama!
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yea would have been nice if the video actually had SOME nutritional info in it other than avoid sweets and fast food. IT IS way more than that.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I am uncomfortable with it, but I am not sure why. I think because:

(a) It propagates the myth that overweight people are that way because they eat unhealthy, are lazy, and just don't care. I don't know about you, but when I hit my high weight in my stats, I went running several times a week, never ate fast food or drank soda, and could name the calorie count of any food off the top of my head. There are many ways that people become overweight. Basically, it seems like fat shaming.

(b) Like Trigger said, it doesn't actually give any constructive advice on how to fix the problem.

I guess if it inspires someone to think twice about how they are feeding their kids, or how they are taking care of themself, it might be worthwhile... but most people in today's world, including kids, are acutely aware of it if they are overweight and don't need to be told.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I'm sure many of us have also had "the doctor's visit" where the lean, trim doctor informs us that "something's got to change"...but doesn't have any particularly helpful advice beyond that.

I remember one of those visits when I was a teenager - my father took me out of school and said I had to go to the doctor. When I got there, I realized that my father had paid the doctor to explain to me that I was overweight (as if I was unaware of that!) and it was about "health", not "how you look". I was mortified and sat there for about half an hour while he showed me pictures of fruits and vegetables.

Needless to say, nothing changed after that. The first useful dietary advice that I ever received was a few years after that when an ex fitness coach explained glycemic index, insulin, and why sugar makes you put on weight, and I quit eating sugar and dropped to a normal weight for several years.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: createart
Stats: 22/20. 18. 12/10
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: January 1, 2004 / October 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
I've seen parents who do give in to their young childrens temper tantrums and will feed them junk food when they don't want their normal food. When a child learns they dont have to eat the healthy meal on the table and can have fries and chicken nuggets instead they will continue to do so.
To me this video is saying ..Dont give in to what your child wants, give your children what YOU know is good for them. Teach them early on and that will start a life long habit of good eating.
I also think the birthday cakes were to just symbolize the years going by, not that cake on ones birthday is bad.
createart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
The benefit of this video that I see is that it has generated a lot of good discussion, pros and cons, about a topic that needs to be addressed. No one has all the answers. Each person is unique. But the video is a start. At least they tried something.

I grew up in the 50's and my mom had to go to work when my dad fell ill with cancer. She used to cook from scratch. Lots changed in the sixties. But I knew I was compulsive around food from a young age. How many five and six year olds can polish off half a loaf of white bread toasted and buttered with cinnamon sugar on a Saturday morning while watching Sky King and the Lone Ranger? I was a chubby kid and I knew I was bigger than the other kids. When taken to the doctor at ten, my mom was told to bring me back at 12 if I hadn't slimmed down. She did and that's when I was given my first box of diet pills aka speed. The year 1960. And we wonder why kids are hooked on drugs. Doctors were drug pushers way back then. I dutifully counted the 700 calories he said to eat and lost weight and starved. Then binged. What a great example I learned. Starve and binge. Habits that took a lifetime to undo.

Today I eat three healthy meals and food doesn't control me any longer. Thanks to God.

Last edited by MaryMary; 08-16-2014 at 03:12 PM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I agree with what many of you have already said. My sense is that the birthday cakes were there solely for the purpose of showing the passage of time. And while the occasional French fry fed to a toddler will not make an obese person, the line in the video is that the French fries (as opposed to the supposedly healthier Fruit Loops???) were the "only thing that quiets him down", thus implying that French fries were a daily occurrence. I know too many parents who regularly feed their kids fast food meals--multiple times a week (and home "cooking" consists of take and bake pizza or frozen chicken nuggets). A lot of people don't cook much at all these days, they perceive they don't have time to prepare food, and they perceive that fast food is an economical way to eat. (I don't personally agree with either statement).

You have to dig for it from that video link, but the advertisement is for a program sponsored by the Atlanta Children's Hospital called "Strong 4 Life". It says, "We have a problem in the Peach State. Almost 1 MILLION children in Georgia are overweight or obese." Scrolling down it reports that "75% of Georgia parents still don't recognize the problem. Are you one of them?"

The website IS full of practical, useful advice on what to do, without blaming and it makes the simple steps seem very doable. It give four steps to a healthier life--make half the plate fruits and vegetables (no problem with that), be active for 60 minutes a day, limit sugary drinks, and limit screen time to 1 hour a day. All good advice. In the eating section, it even acknowledges that sometimes parents WILL turn to fast food, and offers options to make healthier choices at the fast food restaurant. It gives tips on simple meals that can be put together with 3 ingredients or less (and includes a list for stocking the pantry) in a very short period of time.

Yes, there's the usual emphasis on "healthywholegrains" (sigh) and low fat (double sigh), and eliminating sodium (I think when people are eating mostly processed foods this may be OK advice because of the amount of sodium already in the food they eat). But for people who are used feeding their kids Mickey D's French Fries and Chicken Nuggets, it's a big step in the right direction. I see the ad as an effective one to make parents stop and think about how that innocent little French fry may have lifetime implications for their child.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had my one daughter late in life. age 43. She is almost 10 now. One of the first things I said to myself is that she will not be a fat kid . no french fry to quiet her.

As soon as she could tear into food it was ribs and broccoli. ribeye and brussel sprouts.
Crab legs (of course it took a while for her to crack them herself but she sure got the hang of it early in life LOL).

People were in awe of what this tiny kiddo was eating. In fact one guy said to my hubby at a work function (with my kid eating bbq chicken and coleslaw, then a bunless cheeseburger) he couldn't believe she ate that way. ALL HIS kid would eat are chicken nuggets. Nothing else. His wife made the kid nuggets every single day while she made another meal for them.

hubby's reply was 'she eats what we eat. there are no 2 meals in our home'.

from day 1 we had a 'one bite rule'. if not sure on what I am making, she was to try one bite. she would make faces etc. til it got in her mouth, chews and WHAMMO--I love that mom, give me more LOL

sometimes she hated it. that is fair. no one loves all foods.

Parents give control to the kid. Who does that? Not me
I control the kid, the kid doesn't control me.

They always show slimmer parents and fatter kids. Well, in my neck of the woods the parents are heavy to extreme obese with also obese kids. It isn't a skinny mom giving into the kid with a french fry...it is the mom eating 2 large fries while the kid eats 1 large fry.

I find it scary that parents 'DO NOT SEE' their fat kids.

Horrible problem out there in this world. Where it will stop who knows. but the medical community in the future is going to have tons of problems with obese related diseases etc. It doesn't just effect the person, it goes thru the whole community/society thru the entire world.

We all see it. People see it. But yet it continues...well I guess it does with every single other problem in this world. People see it but little action is taken to correct it. Hmm....