Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
First for me, 1 month of losses followed by a brick wall.

I'm PRAYING I don't have to give up BPC.

I lost a lot my first 28 days..very happy. 23 lbs, I can tell a lot of water fell off as I had constant lower leg edema that's now also gone ( b/p also has lowered)

But 2 weeks ago I came to a screeching stop! I don't usually count my carbs so maybe I should. I'm one to easily get into and stay in ketosis, 2 days and I'm booming along!

On some days I'm less than 10 carbs, some 30 carbs, so vary, I'd say 75-80% of most days are under 10. Deep ketosis the whole time.

Breakfast 2 BPCs total of 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1tbsp butter, 1-2 oz of hwc, liquid Splenda. I do 12 ounces or 2 kuerig cups in the blender with above ingredients. It keeps me FULL up to 6 hours.(plz note I do not double my fats because of 2 cups, it's all blended at once)

Lunch could be 6 slices of low sodium ham with 1-2 oz cream cheese and chopped black olives, or pickles rolled up, or an Atkins Shake caramel latte (no sugar alcohols) 4 carbs

Dinner, often skipped, just not hungry. Sometimes I'll cook 3 oz of mozzarella, small amount of bell pepper, 1 mushroom, few black olives, 2 tbsp of Bella vitas speg sauce and pepperoni, or more ham, or a turkey/pickle roll up...you get the picture. I ate a large grilled burger patty with provolone and two chopped mushrooms last night.

If we are out, I usually order grilled chicken salads, no croutons, blue cheese on the side, steak and salad, or wings with celery and blue cheese.

I stopped fat bombs before my mini stall, I'm still having a huge lack of appetite..it's why I don't want to stop BPCs, I'm still going to drink reg coffee with hwc, and think the 2tbsp of coconut oil and 1tbsp of butter doesn't sound like a huge amount if fat for a "meal"

How long did everyone's post month mini stall last? Not an ounce in 2 weeks after dramatic moves of the scale is frustrating.

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

By the way I don't deduct for fiber, I'm more of a 72 girl, except for the Atkins shakes that are actually pretty clean, no sugar alcohols etc (I avoid bars like I avoid donuts)
Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Nursey, what you describe is absolutely normal!!! Your body is just having a time out after such a large loss. I would keep on just as you were and have faith; if you're hungry,eat. Losses will resume soon. And congrats on your amazing success!!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmop View Post
Nursey, what you describe is absolutely normal!!! Your body is just having a time out after such a large loss. I would keep on just as you were and have faith; if you're hungry,eat. Losses will resume soon. And congrats on your amazing success!!
Thanks, I'm just well, feeling OLD. I know going thru menopause is causing me to slow more than when I was 13 yrs ago..but this really hasn't ever happened to me. I have ZERO appetite, but do eat when I need to, I'm finding myself stopping midway thru many meals, this IS new. Usually I'm starving often, but this time, it wierd I think the bpc is killing my appetite and enhancing my ketosis. I even cut back on shakes almost a week, and did not help make scales move at all. The only cheats I had is a large handful of popcorn at the movies one day....ya I know...I'm human. And I ate 3 strawberries on a couple of days for dinner with about 2 ounces of homemade whipped cream..chopped all up like a parfait...other than that I've been very low. Even the berries were my dinner and small amounts. Pfffffft getting old bites.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Snowmop is right on the money.

If after a few more weeks of no lbs. or inches, I would be more inclined to give up the shakes before the bpc. JMHO.

And my congrats too! 23 lbs. is nothing short of amazing!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Nursey, I agree. Getting old BITES! You just have to wait it out. What's the alternative--quit? I don't think that's going to help you either. Hang in there, these plateaus are to be expected--they give your body a chance to catch its breath. I'd be willing to bet you are noticing you are shrinking more during this "rest period."

I don't know anything about the shakes, but if it were me I'd stay away from them.

Hang in there!
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Nursey - did you have the popcorn and the berries during the 2-week "stall"? It's VERY normal to have an early stall, generally around week 3 or after. And it's normal for it to last a couple of weeks. So you may have entered the "post-induction stall" and exasperated it by adding in non-plan foods. Commit to a clean diet for 2 more weeks and I bet the scale starts to move again.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
Nursey - did you have the popcorn and the berries during the 2-week "stall"? It's VERY normal to have an early stall, generally around week 3 or after. And it's normal for it to last a couple of weeks. So you may have entered the "post-induction stall" and exasperated it by adding in non-plan foods. Commit to a clean diet for 2 more weeks and I bet the scale starts to move again.
Actually the popcorn fiasco was about week 3, didn't loose ketosis or really phase me. I ate the strawberries during the stall...couple nights with no appetite, felt something refreshing was needed, I usually wouldn't have a problem eating 2-3 berries a day, but could have been to soon, again, I ate 6 total berries over a 3 day period.

I'll just keep keeping on.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I was listening to Marie Emmerich on Jimmy Moore's podcast last night. She said when her clients stall (you are NOT in a stall, just giving you something to consider) they almost always lose weight again once the cut out dairy. You have a lot of dairy there--ounces rather than tablespoons of heavy cream plus. Just something to think about. It's where I'd cut if you feel the need to tweak. Coconut milk (canned) makes a good substitute, and ghee instead of butter (fewer of the inflammatory components of whole milk butter).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Very normal after steady losses. Give it 4-6 weeks before dropping anything, because your diet looks like it has been working for you. Post induction stall syndrome and similar happenings are quite common. Time and persistence win that battle, not dietary tweaks.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
As mentioned, it is perfectly normal. It is less common to just keep losing at the same rate as when one first started.

Just keep on doing what you've been doing.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I agree with the others . . . keep on doing what you have been doing.
The losses will resume before too long.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Very normal after steady losses. Give it 4-6 weeks before dropping anything, because your diet looks like it has been working for you. Post induction stall syndrome and similar happenings are quite common. Time and persistence win that battle, not dietary tweaks.
Amen. IMO, over tweaking too soon does you no favors. You end up cutting out stuff that you CAN have and making your woe more restrictive than it needs to be, and this often leads to falling off the wagon.

Take the time and have the patience to get to know your body's weight loss patterns, and don't knee jerk when the weight loss slows down---and believe me, it WILL slow down more than once on your journey.

You have done SO well, allow your body to pause for awhile, while you stay hard on plan. I bet you w/in a week or two or three, you will see a drop again. Might be a nice whoosh, might be smaller in nature.

Fact is, those first losses on LC are bigger and faster than they continue to be more most. But in my experience, they DO continue to be. Patience and persistence will get you there. Promise.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Everyone has it right. After a good loss the body does stop or slow down for a while before starting the next phase of loss. I also believe you're pretty much on target for Post Induction Stall Syndrome? Even if you don't go up the carb ladder, it seems pretty common.

Hormones also rule the roost when it comes to weight loss. My losses are tied to my cycle and I don't lose at all unless it's a certain time. I honestly have no idea what kind of influence menopause will have. I've read that menopausal and post-menopausal women are a huge medical unknown. You might want to chart your weight and measurements to see if there is a pattern.

Are you on hormone replacement therapy? The reason I ask is that my mother started and her weight loss stalled. Eventually, she went without and her weight loss resumed. She wasn't low carb but it's something to keep in mind.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I was going to suggest dairy too.

It also sounds like you aren't eating very much. There are folks that stall because they aren't eating ENOUGH.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I was going to suggest dairy too.

It also sounds like you aren't eating very much. There are folks that stall because they aren't eating ENOUGH.
Definitely not eat much, and I do try. Today I had

My 2 BPCs (I measured 4tbsp of cream, which is 2oz)

Lunch hard8 BBQ. I had 1 chicken tender grilled wrapped in jalapeño, onion and bacon, same with a shrimp and a 6 oz piece of sirloin. I did have a tsp oh A1 sauce (my meat was dry lol) about 1 carb. Pretty much a carb free day. I ate lunch at 3pm and as yet have no desire for dinner (worked 330-1am) I may go make a salad with lettuce, peppers, olives, cucumbers and some cheese...or my pizza topping melted bowl ...maybe.

I really DO try to eat, I'm not a huge believer in starvation mode syndrome...those people on naked and afraid seem to lose weight well LOL

Yes I'm swear I'm going to just keep on truckin! This WILL pass, it's biology, physiology and chemistry, no way can I not. At this point, I doubt I had 1100 calories, tho I NEVER have counted those, I know I've only had 1-2 carbs all day, including hidden ones in my cream.

As for giving up all dairy, I don't eat cheese everyday, but when I want it I don't stress it, to me it's a bit of a free food, but just don't indulge much, cream...now that's an issue. I could drink a cup of it thru the day, egg custards, whipped and in coffee. It's why I haven't made egg custard yet even though I know I want to BADLY..because it's got a lot of cream, ohhh don't get me started on Linda Sues Panna Cotta! Thanks y'all!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I try not to think of those pauses as "stalls". I call them temporary maintenance, and I think they're actually good for your body. I think you'll find that not only will you begin losing again, providing you don't give up, your skin will have a chance to tighten up a bit during your temporary maintenance.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Metallux
you don't want to lose too much right away because its harder for the skin to snap back into place when the weight is gone too quickly. I feel like I look jiggly when I only lose 1-2 pounds at a time. Maybe your body is just recalibrating.
Metallux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Ya, ITS RECALIBRATING!!!! I love that, I'm RECALIBRATING!!!! Thanks y'all!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Girl
Stats: 174/153/151 - 5'7"
WOE: Low carb eating
Start Date: March 2012
Give up? Are you kidding me. You have done great. No one can expect to lose a pound a day....

I stalled for over a month but continued to go down a size. Success is not tied to a number on the scale.

Hang in there!
Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
It happens to me quite often. Somtimes I lose nothing for a month, sometimes I lose 15 lbs in a month. I have given up trying to figure out why my body works like that. I just don't weigh as often and try not to let the numbers upset me. As long as the overall trend is downward, I'm ok with that.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
I am experiencing this now. I would think of this too as recalibration
Amélie is online now   Reply With Quote