Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sumdanc
Hello everyone...just joined

I'm going locarb.
I found out that I am in danger of becoming pre-diabetic. I'm right on the borderline of pre-diabetes.

This came as a shock to me since I am not considered overweight, but I have gained 10-15 lbs since menopause. The weight in the belly and hips.
So although I don't look overweight, it's not normal for me.

Diabetes runs in my family.

I love pasta, bread, muffins, pizza, risotto, grits, biscuits. I could go on and on.
CHicken and fish are the only meats I eat.
I am hoping I can replace the carbs with healthy alternatives.

I've been eating locarb since I got the results, two weeks ago.

I'm sure there are loads of people here on locarb voluntarily, and I commend you.I don't want to be a whiner, but I am totally bummed that I NEED to give up the carbs.

I'll look at the bright side and look to you all for help and support and inspiration.
sumdanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
!!! You really don't have to 'give up' anything. Just learn how to make things differently. We just had almond rosemary biscuits made into a breakfast sandwich. There are a lot of talented people out there making those things, only better!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Welcome Sumdanc. Like you, I found out I was becoming insulin resistant before I had reached the pre-diabetes stage, and was told I needed to be on a low-carb diet. And it was really hard at first, as I had been happily eating a high carb diet for years -- and gaining lots of weight over the years too. Never dawned on me why it was so hard for me to lose weight.

I began reading books and Internet articles about low carb eating and then began searching for recipes. This site has been a lifesaver for me, as have other sites out there. I have found that most high carb recipes can be made low carb. Of the dishes you listed, the only one I haven't had low carb is grits. But it takes time to learn what works and what tastes good to you. I can tell you that I have no desire for high carb treats anymore and you can get to that place too.

So I would suggest doing lots of homework. You want pizza? There are lots of recipes on this site for low carb crusts. Same goes for bread. You can even make your own pasta. Now, there are those who eschew these replacements for high-carb foods, and that's OK for them. Myself, I think I would indeed feel deprived without them. As I will be eating this way for life, it's about balance for me.

One challenge you will face is dining out, and the holidays. Not everyone will understand or support your new way of eating. You will need to take care of your own needs because you can't count on others to provide suitable food for you. Packing emergency food is a good idea, as is bringing dishes you can eat to potlucks and Holiday gatherings.

What's great about this way of eating is that it is so good for your numbers. My insulin is normal now (it was about double the norm 3 years ago)and my blood sugar has always been normal.

Good luck to you!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hi, Sumdanc - congrats on starting low carb to get your blood sugar/insulin resistance under control. I'd say that most of us on this board pretty much turned to a low carb way of eating to get our health under control. Being way overweight is just the start of a lot of health issues, so I doubt many of us chose to give up those tasty carby foods voluntarily, as you said. Like you, I was also pre-diabetic and I'm so glad I didn't just take the "eat low fat and eat less" approach that most Drs recommend, and I am constantly grateful for this forum. Also - menopause - blah..... Really throws your body into a tailspin. I know in my heart and mind that the only way I truly feel well and keep my body healthy is to stick to a low carb WOE. After 3+ years, I've kept most of the weight off, but I find myself sliding often, and immediately feel crappy, both physically and psychologically. Is LC easy? No, but so much more so now than in the beginning as I now understand the concept and enjoy the food so much more now that I know what I'm doing and accept that this is how I feel best. Guess I'm rambling now, but just wanted to congratulate you and encourage you to embrace LC instead of resenting it. Keep learning and pay attention to how your body feels as you become adapted to LC. You may not lose those xtra pounds quickly, but what you can't see (your body chemistry) will reap the benefits for the rest of your life.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
welcome

I know how hard it can be to give up the carbs. It helps to focus on some of the things you can have, rather than the things you can't. Stock up on some low carb favourites to keep you feeling satisfied. Check out the recipe boards here too, there are some great ideas for many different recipes. I find it helps to do some cooking ahead of time. I like having things handy in the fridge so I don't find myself starving with nothing ready to eat, it helps me avoid temptation.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
Welcome aboard. Glad you're here!

My thoughts are similar to others, but I have another point. I am worried about your ability to stay long-term as long as your mind-set sounds like one of removing foods, but you never mentioned adding others. I say this because that was my problem for many times when I lasted 3-4 months and failed, but this time I am going on well over a year. If you are bored or deprived with this, you won't last. I hope that doesn't sound snarky, I just want to be on-point.

There are a billion (exaggeration) types of seafood to try, as well as other meats that you may like if they are cooked a different way. I've learned to create variety by also finding as many ways to cook as possible. Now I grill, blacken, bake, fry -- everything so that I do not feel deprived. Heck, there are times when all I did was throw a bunch of shredded cheese in the oven because it tasted like pizza cheese when cooked.

I also eat vegetables that I never would have tried. I had, once upon a time, tried asparagus out of a can and hated it. But now I buy it fresh and grill it weekly. I also buy peppers and onions and grill them. These are things that burgers and fries would have been chosen before my LC lifestyle.

I hope that you find the time to expand your food choices - I have not heard of anybody that was successful in staying on LC long-term without expanding their food options.

That being said - I'm excited you're hear regardless what health benefit you are seeking. I wish you all the best!
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote