Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Suspicious new miracle noodle nutrition info

I grabbed some Miracle Noodles today at the store, and noticed some conflicting information on the packaging. The fettucini claimed to have 0 cals (as we generally know these noodles to be) with no fiber and less than 1g carb per serving. As you'll see below:

But then I took a look at the angel hair. THAT one has identical nutritional stats except that it somehow has 15 calories now!

In a food with no fat, calories, protein, and allegedly less than 1g of total carbs, this had some scary results on the hidden carb calculator!

"Actual Carb count 4.06 g"

That's...no good. I plan to e-mail them about this because even the website has conflicting information, arghhh. But what the heck? Are there actually FOUR net carbs per serving on the miracle noodles??

Last edited by nanoparty!; 08-10-2014 at 04:31 PM..
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
The difference I see nano, is they say konnyaku (glucomannan) and the angel hair says konnyaku flour. Seems weird, but maybe that's it?
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
My guess (and it's a total guess) is they went with a USA label on the newer bags, which don't discount fiber calories.
Since konnyaku/glucomannan is 100% fiber, it's typically not an issue, but for USA labels, we don't automatically subtract the fiber calories and carbs, like they do in many other countries.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree with Dottie. The important thing is to look at the ingredients and know what they represent.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

You're right, but...it just makes me anxious Presumably glucomannan and "konnyaku flour" are the same thing.

I mean, the calories have to come from the carbs, yes? But you guys are saying that these might just be fiber calories? It just seems strange, because if that's the case, why aren't the other packages reflecting that? Or maybe it's just new packaging!

Either way, I was really wondering whether I should return 'em! Maybe I won't, if it's just fiber in the end.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
The packaging has been like this for at least 6 months now or so....I just pulled a few bags of the angel hair pasta out of the cupboard and they all say 15 calories. Still, 15 calories for pasta....how can you really complain?
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

The calorie count is as most calorie counts are which is they do not take into account the body's reaction to the food. Calories counts are pretty meaningless when the food travels through the body without being absorbed. I think this is true of many foods that are highly fibrous.

Last edited by clackley; 08-12-2014 at 07:59 AM..
Old 08-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I stopped worrying about shiratake noodles in any form long long ago. As in, I don't count them for anything. I count what I add to them, but not the noodles themselves. They do not do anything to me and I count them as such.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
This is why I avoid all the faux high carb foods. I'm doing low carb because I like the food so why would I be eating tons of faux high carb foods like noodles and breads? I focus on real, whole foods not imitations.

Who knows what the real count is? They are trying to sell a product. Anything besides water that lists 0 calories is suspect in my book.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

This is a single ingredient food just like coffee, olives, and any kind of nut - just to name a few.. It has been around for 2 thousand years - primarily in Japan. It is 100% fibre and as a result, passes through the body without raising blood glucose and provides the many benefits of high fibre that we all are aware of. It is also in a class known as resistant starch which is important for a healthy gut. I would classify this food as a health food on all of those points and because of it's benefits, I would also consider it a super food.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 08-12-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Old 08-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

To each their own. We all have our own definitions of healthy foods. I'm glad you enjoy them.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

I would add to my last post an important point (to me) in that some shirataki noodles are mixed with tofu which is of course, a soy product. Soy has a number of inherent problems in my opinion so I only consume the ones that are 100% konjac yam.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Frankly I don't mind the tofu ones (sometimes I mix them in with the plain shirataki), but at least I know where all the nutrition info is coming from there. But you did clear things up for me - of course the calories in the Miracle noodles are from fiber exclusively. I forgot how stupid American nutrition labels can be. So thanks for that!

But shirataki noodles are rad!! I am so glad they exist. Seconding labeling them kind of a superfood.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Just FYI some people eat them because they watch calories. Not because they are trying to "sub" something.

I learned very early on here that just because one WOE or product is not for me, doesn't mean someone else who has a different WOE or thought process is wrong for using or eating it.

Last edited by MsWoods; 08-13-2014 at 08:04 AM..
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

That's why I said we all have our own ideas of what foods are good and what we allow in our diet. I eat fruit and grains, many people here consider them to be poison.

I also count calories and I get full on lots of different vegetables. So many nutrients, low cal, and they keep me full. A huge colorful salad with 2 tbs evoo and fresh squeezed lemon juice is my favorite thing in the world.