LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quitecontrary
Stats: 225.8/185/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 2014
Giving Up Weight Watchers.....

Hello, everybody! Well, after a year and 7 months on Weight Watchers, I have decided to give it up. Yes, I did lose weight on WW. I lost 71 lbs. from January 2013 to November of the same year, but I'll admit it was a constant struggle. I missed the Thanksgiving Day weigh-in due to them closing down for the holiday. I went off the rails so bad on that day and basically never got back on track. My binge-eating episodes returned with a vengeance. I kept putting off going back for weigh-in because of my weight gain. I finally started back a couple of months ago with a 36-lb. gain. I was so embarrassed to face that receptionist who weighed me in. For the next 6 weeks I managed to lose 12 lbs. Not bad, I know, but then the next week's weigh-in showed a 1-lb. gain. I didn't go back the past 3 weeks. The scale number is just too much of a mental game with me. I also made the mistake of letting my coworkers know I was on WW, so every Wednesday when I came to work after weigh-in I was bombarded by people asking how much I lost. That was excruciating.

Now back up to 2004. I started eating low-carb during a biggest loser type contest at work. I didn't win, but it got me jump-started. I stayed on that type of eating for 2 years. My weight loss totaled around 60 lbs. in about 7 months. I never weighed. I only weighed during the work contest. I never obsessed over the scale since I never used one. I had to visit the doctor and that is how I knew how much I had lost, but even then the scale number messed with me. Then when I met my DH he was a skinny little thing with a fired-up metabolism with snacks everywhere. I was happy and content and loving the snacks. I loved them so much I gained all the weight back. That was my fault.

Some interesting things I discovered was that when I was eating low-carb (30 net carbs per day), I was definitely getting more fat and protein. My hair grew long and luxurious. My skin was radiant. My digestive system was ticking right along. Then when I was practicing the Points Plus counting with WW, my skin was dry and loose and noticeably wrinkly. My hair is dry and damaged and grows very slowly even with biotin supplements. I was wearing jeans a size smaller at the same weight while eating low-carb. I won't even begin to let you in on the horrors of digestion with such a low fat intake. On WW I was barely getting in 40 grams of protein a day. I was maybe getting 20-30 grams of fat. I was also getting way too much carbohydrate. I was eating low-fat sugar-free ice cream, low fat cakes, low-calorie bread and at least one frozen entree or sandwich per day. I also have to take care of my pancreas. My dad and all his 8 brothers and sisters were type 2 diabetics. My brother and sister already have been diagnosed. I don't want it, so I have to do what I can to prevent it.

I guess we live and learn. I have decided to save my monthly pass fee with WW and start restricting my carbs once again. Since I know the scale messes with me, I'm going to put it away.

Long post, but it's my way of setting my plans in stone. I gave WW my best shot and although it doesn't work for me, I'm sure it works for others. But I have to do what is best for me. And that, my friends, is cutting down the carbs. Thanks for listening to my rant

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.-William Arthur Ward

Last edited by quitecontrary; 08-10-2014 at 03:48 PM..
quitecontrary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/208/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
Carol Ann
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Welcome to your new life. I think you made the right choice for you. I think if I ditched my scale, my life would be a whole lot happier too. My sister did it and she never looked back. WTG, Carol Ann. Enjoy the journey.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
Start Date: Feb 2012
I could have wrote the same post as you, I have been back now for about a week. I can tell a BIG diffence already. My body and mind is sooooo much happier with LC than weight watchers. I also have to watch my sugar so I know what you mean!!! My friend lost weight on WW and eat all kinds of sweet treats so that is why I tried . THE cravings where so BAD!!!! Any how glad you are back!!!

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DisneyDoc5
Stats: 165 high/144/140
WOE: LC
This is my story as well. Right down to the physical things like hair, skin, digestive, etc. I want to say I am a life time ww member, but reality is I was constantly hungry, eating way to many carbs and fake food, and dealing with yeast and other health issues. I have openned a new chapter in my life recently with the acceptance that my body needs a forever low carb woe, that I thrive on LC eating, I feel good and my body is happy. Finally, I feel released from a prison of food thought, I was always on the blood sugar rollercoaster, with constant cravings for sugar and obsessing about my next carb fix, literally like a food junky. I can go hours without thinking about food, I not hungry or mentally fixated on food. Of course I have my moments, but the sense of freedom from craving sugar and ability to eat healthy (yes, fat is healthy people!!!) is so liberating!!

Thank you for your post, we are in this together along with so many others that find the LC woe to be the solution we have been needing all along!

And as you mentioned, ww is a good program, but I don't want to be on a diet forever and it isn't a forever woe for me. I'm sure it is great for some and I'm always happy when people find successful tools for healthy living.

Last edited by DisneyDoc5; 08-10-2014 at 07:42 PM..
DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
!!! Awesome that you've found the way that's right for you! I hear you on the diabetic thing. I have found, no food is really worth it anymore, for that very reason. Diabetes? No thank you!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quitecontrary
Stats: 225.8/185/130
Start Date: August 2014
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I know I am doing the right thing. And it's a wonderful feeling to have this kind of support! Hugs to each and every one of you!
quitecontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Better late than never, Carol Ann. I started many LC diets over the years but always went off because it freaked me out to eat so many fats. Now I know eating fat is a good thing.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote