Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 145.8/137.2/125 (every .1 lb counts!)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2014
Morning exhaustion?

Hey folks,
I'm new and chock full of questions! The one I have at the moment is, does anyone else have experience with waking up feeling very tired after switching to LC? I've been doing Atkins since 7/15 (just under 4 weeks), carbs at or below 25g/day, and it's generally going quite well - cravings are gone, very manageable appetite, weight headed in the right direction - except for this one problem.

My energy levels are steady throughout the day, so I'm definitely not having the noticeable blood sugar highs and crashes that I was having before going LC. But when I wake up in the morning, I've been feeling oddly sluggish and tired - almost like I haven't slept at all, and would be fine just staying in bed a good while longer. I've been taking potassium and magnesium (citrate) supplements, have been staying hydrated, and have been drinking bouillon on many days. I can't seem to get that energy burst everyone talks about!

Any ideas what the problem might be??

Thanks!
Snackycake is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
sorry that you are feeling tired in the mornings. That feeling for me is always cured with extra water and some broth. I don't eat any processed foods so I have to be careful to make sure that I get enough salt or else I feel like a wilted leaf.

Did you change your coffee consumption in any way?
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 145.8/137.2/125 (every .1 lb counts!)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2014
Nope, no change in coffee consumption - always just 1 cup a day, first thing when I get to work. And I *think* I'm getting enough salt - I'm a salt abuser from way back , so I'd be shocked if between the salt I'm putting on my food and the sodium in the broth, I'm not getting enough.
Snackycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
A nice salted cup of coffee with a some CO added gets me going.
No kidding! I also do best with breakfast . . . nearly always a bit of bacon and an egg or two.

Really, though, I think it just takes our bodies some time to adjust. Being a bit tired is probably not a cause for concern unless you can't shake it off as the day goes on.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

How are you getting your carbs- mostly from low carb veg?

I'd recommend a full mineral supplement because we lose so much water weight at the start and you can wind up going mineral deficient, a sign of which is fatigue.

I'm also a salt lover, and without processed foods which somehow are full of sodium but don't taste that salty to me, I can eat a lot of it.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lioness0455
Stats: 256.5/170/125
Start Date: 1/3/07
The exhaustion first thing in the morning means your body is having a bit of a problem switching from predominantly burning carbs to predominantly burning fats for energy. It's nothing to worry about. That's quite common. It can take 3 to 6 weeks for the body to completely make that change and adapt to the new metabolic pathway.
Lioness0455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
How are you getting your carbs- mostly from low carb veg?

I'd recommend a full mineral supplement because we lose so much water weight at the start and you can wind up going mineral deficient, a sign of which is fatigue.

I'm also a salt lover, and without processed foods which somehow are full of sodium but don't taste that salty to me, I can eat a lot of it.
What do you recommend as a full mineral supplement? Is there such a thing as one supplement that supplies all or do we need to take several to get the mix we need. TIA
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I like Solaray - Mega Multi Mineral capsules, they also have an Iron Free version if you are avoiding it. I am leery of the liquid mineral supplements because they've been found to contain things like arsenic and lead. It's a full spectrum of minerals but the dosage is 4 pills. I'd start with that to see if you feel better, then you can drop down.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 08-10-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you soooo much!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

No problem- hope it helps. Being tired is no fun and these really helped me.

ETA oops I just realized you aren't the OP. Are you also dealing with tiredness?

Last edited by nolcjunk; 08-10-2014 at 09:54 AM..
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioness0455 View Post
The exhaustion first thing in the morning means your body is having a bit of a problem switching from predominantly burning carbs to predominantly burning fats for energy. It's nothing to worry about. That's quite common. It can take 3 to 6 weeks for the body to completely make that change and adapt to the new metabolic pathway.
I agree with this^. It is also important to replace your electrolytes with regular sodium broth (2 cups per day) and a pat of butter makes it even better. Make sure you are helping your body to transition by feeding it dietary fat.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, some general tiredness but also some aches and weakness in legs. Getting much better now.