LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/254/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
Eat when you're hungry

I have been experimenting with IF for a couple of days and it sort of felt right but also felt forced...I didn't start a keto diet because I like being hungry all the time! I have been Reading Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Eric Westman and they have a whole chapter on fasting. Apparently, in Dr. Westman's clinic, there are signs everywhere that say "Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty." Sounds obvious, but I realized that if I follow that I will have longer periods of not eating, but also, I won't be starving. So simple and obvious. Today I woke up and wasn't hungry, so I am skipping breakfast. I will eat lunch if I am hungry...maybe this is only a revelation for me lol!
Willgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
For me, a lot of eating was habit based on the clock and usual meal times, 7 AM, noon, and 6 PM or out of some other habit;
for the activity of chewing or sucking--oral satisfaction--rather than hunger; for celebration, reward, and or comfort.
Or of some fear: eat now, it'll be a long time before your next meal, or, they may not have what you like to eat...
I was raised to clean my plate, no matter how much food someone else put on it, and had wheat and sugar (cookies or cakes) after every meal.
I was taught to stuff myself. After meals, we had to go to mommy and have her push our tummy in to be sure we had enough.

Now I work to change those habits.
I work to vary eating times, extending the time between meals by being involved in a task or away from home or sleeping.
I work to eat more slowly, to enjoy it more, to be aware of when the signal of satiation tells me I'm satisfied.
Sometimes I put more on the plate than what I think I'll eat, and learn I am able to set it aside when satisfied. If I want more later, I can eat it then. Ofter it's a meal the next day. Sometimes I don't put quite enough on the plate, knowing i can get more. THAT rarely happens, at least for several hours.
Now when I stuff me, which again, rarely happens, I recognize the real discomfort and don't like it. That discomfort is a good memory for the next time.

I don't like the feel of an over filled tummy
I DO like the feel of the looseness of the clothes around my waist and hips.
I LIKE having my smaller abdomen. THAT'S totally enjoyable.

I work to eat only when I'm hungry.
For me, two parts of that are way low carb and having enough fat.

Ella5
I AM JOYOUSLY releasing and sending forth excess body mass, fat, tissue, and weight every day!
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crazy1
WOE: Atkins'92
I too, used to eat by the clock but not any more. "Breakfast" is now my version of bullet proof coffee with HWC. I usually get hungry around 11:00am so I then eat a couple of eggs. I sometimes feel peckish around 3:00pm so I have coffee with HWC, some pepperoni or cheese. Dinner is usually around 6:00pm and consists of meat and veg OR a salad. Coffee with HWC or green tea in the evening. I guess it could be a modified IF as I only eat during a 7 hour window and "fast" the rest of the time. But, I still only eat when I am hungry.
Crazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
It's weird - sometimes I'm not hungry at all for HOURS until I actually sit down and eat a meal, and then realize I was starving! I also worry about what not eating for hours does to blood sugar in general. Not to say if you're TRULY not hungry you should eat anyway, but it's something to think about.
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I realized that often I would eat because I could...it was breakfast or lunch so why not eat? Then I would be wanting food later and worried about having too much.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ella5 View Post
For me, a lot of eating was habit based on the clock and usual meal times, 7 AM, noon, and 6 PM or out of some other habit;
for the activity of chewing or sucking--oral satisfaction--rather than hunger; for celebration, reward, and or comfort.
Or of some fear: eat now, it'll be a long time before your next meal, or, they may not have what you like to eat...
I was raised to clean my plate, no matter how much food someone else put on it, and had wheat and sugar (cookies or cakes) after every meal.
I was taught to stuff myself. After meals, we had to go to mommy and have her push our tummy in to be sure we had enough.

Now I work to change those habits.
I work to vary eating times, extending the time between meals by being involved in a task or away from home or sleeping.
I work to eat more slowly, to enjoy it more, to be aware of when the signal of satiation tells me I'm satisfied.
Sometimes I put more on the plate than what I think I'll eat, and learn I am able to set it aside when satisfied. If I want more later, I can eat it then. Ofter it's a meal the next day. Sometimes I don't put quite enough on the plate, knowing i can get more. THAT rarely happens, at least for several hours.
Now when I stuff me, which again, rarely happens, I recognize the real discomfort and don't like it. That discomfort is a good memory for the next time.

I don't like the feel of an over filled tummy
I LIKE having my smaller abdomen. THAT'S totally enjoyable.

I work to eat only when I'm hungry.
For me, two parts of that are way low carb and having enough fat.

Ella5
I AM JOYOUSLY releasing and sending forth excess body mass, fat, tissue, and weight every day!
I LOVE this post, Ella. Every word of it, including trying to UNLEARN the "clean plate club" membership many of us were raised with. I particularly like this:

"I don't like the feel of an over filled tummy
I LIKE having my smaller abdomen. THAT'S totally enjoyable."

A year and a half into my LC journey, I look back and realize how used to being "stuffed" I had become, so used to it I was in denial about the discomfort of it.

Now on the very rare occasion that I eat enough to feel "stuffed" I really FEEL it and I really dislike it. Feels SO much better to travel more lightly.

For me the biggest problem with "eat when you're hungry" is that it doesn't address the "mind hunger" which for me has always been 90% of the problem. So I have had to learn to try to differentiate between real and mind hunger, and also, to understand that sometimes I will give into mind hunger for whatever reason, and that I need to make it low carb, which with its sating qualities usually makes "mind hunger" a pretty short episode for me…
unlike the days when I was a carb hound, and could go, and go and go till I was stuffed as a tick
Old 08-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I agree with this and am trying to "eat only when hungry" at home. I DO this at work, since I'm busy .... but at home I have to make myself not watch the clock !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/228/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
yep eat to live not live to eat. Love this WOE.
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I agree with everyone - I was raised to not only clean my plate (and my mom gave huge portions), but also to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at certain times. It took me a long time (and a gastric bypass) to realize you should eat when you're hungry, eat slowly enough to realize when you've had enough, and that it is okay to leave food on your plate. If people are going to get mad at me because I didn't eat a "big enough" piece of something they made or because I didn't try their homemade cookies well then, that's just really too bad! Learning to really listen to your body takes time. Some days I am really hungry a lot...others, hardly at all, all day long. Of course, the next lesson to learn is making the right choices of what to eat when you are hungry... Still learning as I go...
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I think part of getting used to having that "stuffed" feeling in order to feel full comes from eating carby, non-nutritious food.

Eat a steak and some buttery vegetables and you will feel comfortably full and satisfied at the same time. Eat a bunch of pasta or a bready sandwich and chips and you get that stuffed feeling before you are satisfied because there isn't much real, satiating food there.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm like Blue Skies--my problem isn't physical hunger but 'head' hunger--wanting to eat simply for the pleasure of the delicious food. So I actually spend more time NOT eating when I think I'm hungry.

I am rarely physically hungry because I need to eat more frequently than physical need demands. One of the issues for me in old age [I'm 73] is that my body can't handle too much food at one time. That means eating very small meals frequently. So I portion out the amount of food I know I'll need for the day, and it it in small increments, not necessarily waiting to experience physical hunger.

I'm not advising this practice, just pointing out that we all have different needs, and there's no 'ideal' that fits everyone.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/228/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
"You Got Hungry Eyes"
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay9 View Post
yep eat to live not live to eat. Love this WOE.
Wow Kay9, amazing success! Good on ya!

You too, Hot Tamale, way to go!!!

Last edited by RyeBaby; 08-10-2014 at 12:33 PM..
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I've been totally unsuccessful at reversing the clean plate mentality, and truly it drives menuo the wall when my family wastes food. Our solution is tiny bowls and micro portions. That way we can get more if we are hungry, but don't have too much piled on our plates to finish. It's helped me immensely to realize it's okay to clean my plate, provided my plate isn't more full than the size of my appetite. Tiny portions solve the problem nicely. Because if it is there I'll eat it, and over half a decade of working on this hasn't solved it.

So it was time for another solution

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #15
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Our bodies can be "trained" to be hungry on cue. I've followed meal plans where I had to eat every 3 hours and, after a while, I would feel hungry every 3 hours.

Eating 3 meals per day I would get hungry at regular meal times, too.

Then there is distinguishing between real hunger and imagined hunger.

Eat when you want but be aware of your body's needs because it really is not quite as simple as eating when you're hungry.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Intermittent fasting taught me the difference between true hunger and 'routine' eating. It also taught me the difference between how hunger in ketosis is a different 'animal' than hunger as a carb eater. It is very empowering to realize that even if I get hungry, I am not going to faint dead away. It is quite manageable. The hunger signals only 'whisper' as opposed to shrieking like they once use to!

And Taryl's comment about eating from smaller dishes is one that I moved to fairly early on because my food looked kind of lost on a regular dinner plate!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 08-11-2014 at 05:49 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
I've used salad plates or saucers for my dinner plate for years because I knew that of me. I would like some bowls that hold 6 ounces, rather than 4 oz, however, more for space to allow the utensil space to move around in.
Ella5
Who has just had a really hungry day. I did stay on lc plan, from the bacon egg this AM to the (carby) meat and olives at lunch, pulled pork for dinner, a few cashews and pepperoni a bit ago...
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I've started using smaller plates, too! Not itty bitty though

One thing I did mention upthread that's actually been bothering me, though - a lot of the time lately I find I have no appetite UNTIL I finally begin eating, and then realize I was starving. I don't do IF but I have the feeling that wouldn't be the reasoning behind that WOE, or a healthy reaction to anything. Plus it sort of messes up my food schedule. What's the DEAL with that?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #19
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Smaller plates only work for me when I am neglecting my veggies.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willgirl View Post
I have been experimenting with IF for a couple of days and it sort of felt right but also felt forced...I didn't start a keto diet because I like being hungry all the time! I have been Reading Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Eric Westman and they have a whole chapter on fasting. Apparently, in Dr. Westman's clinic, there are signs everywhere that say "Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty." Sounds obvious, but I realized that if I follow that I will have longer periods of not eating, but also, I won't be starving. So simple and obvious. Today I woke up and wasn't hungry, so I am skipping breakfast. I will eat lunch if I am hungry...maybe this is only a revelation for me lol!
It's crazy (and awesome) to me how IF wakes up these instincts that have been buried by our notion that we must eat by a clock or someone else says we have to. IF always gets me back on track, and I LOVE it, if for nothing other than this alone.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Train View Post
It's crazy (and awesome) to me how IF wakes up these instincts that have been buried by our notion that we must eat by a clock or someone else says we have to. IF always gets me back on track, and I LOVE it, if for nothing other than this alone.
It really helped me get back on track too! It has helped me conquer (at least for now) my biggest weakness which is eating a lot right before bed.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBaby View Post
Wow Kay9, amazing success! Good on ya!

You too, Hot Tamale, way to go!!!

WOW nearly 200lbs in a year!!!!!you are a Goddess!!
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
I'm still learning eat to live. I feel like I am doing bad things when I'm not eating, like everyone loves to tell me I'll go into starvation mode. Yesterday I ah eat Jason's deli, and had a way bigger salad then I should have and 6 hours later made cream cheese pancakes. Today I had 2 BPCs and have not eaten all day....hubby's about to make me go to wingstop..

I'm kinda hungry, but it's not that my tummys growling, rather I have a very slight headache and feel the slightest weakened and shaky, so I know my body wants to eat.

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

My biggest problem is that I want to stuff myself right before bed...I am fine the rest of the time. I know it is a psychological thing rather than real hunger. I am really full right now but I still want more...I am hoping over time I a tame the beast!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
I find if I eat (and now sadly I think drinking coffee is a culprit) too early, it sets off signals in my stomach like "nothing is filling in the stomach - make her twice as hungry!". So yeah - I had my coffee w/ hwc & sf torani {i also wonder if SF stuff is doing it as well}, then at 9 had a piece of egg white frittata w/ cheese and i'm so hungry right now. Trying to drink a lot of water & decaf iced tea.

I hope it's not AS/Splenda causing me to be hungry. Gr.....
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Smaller plates only work for me when I am neglecting my veggies.

Good point. I should have caveated that was for the dense, caloric items. Salads and steamed or roasted veggies I tend to eat out of corningware or big mixing bowls. But the items that add up I try to serve in veeeery small dishes
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Good point. I should have caveated that was for the dense, caloric items. Salads and steamed or roasted veggies I tend to eat out of corningware or big mixing bowls. But the items that add up I try to serve in veeeery small dishes
Haha, yes! I pretty much eat salads and veggies out of serving bowls.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Yes The main event is on a tapas plate but the side salad or vegetable accompaniment is in a bowl or on its own platter.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I used to think I was constantly hungry. Then it wasn't until I was diagnosed as diabetic that I discovered my 'hunger' was in direct proportion to my BG's...which were being driven by the carbs in my diet. About a week after starting low carb, I'd notice my 'hunger' disappeared. However, if I went longer than 4-5 hours without eating, I'd have the reverse problem in that my blood sugar crashed and then I'd eat everything in sight...usually high carb.

As a diabetic, I've learned that I have to eat to the clock. I eat at the same time every day and the same controlled portions. This controlled eating is also recommended by Dr. Bernstein to reverse insulin resistance...which is necessary to get diabetes under control to the point of getting off meds.

Just something to think about for the diabetics since we know that dawn phenomena is caused by the body going for an extended period of time without food.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote