LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The $$ I have saved...

I am almost at the 5 yr. mark of eating a ketogenic woe and it occurred to me that I no longer know the price of certain items that I once could tell you in an instant.

For instance, bread. I figure I would have bought at least one loaf a week at the lowest price then ($2). That means I have saved over $500.00 on bread alone!!!

What are you saving money on?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
chips,dip,bread,rolls,crescents and all the flour and sugar that I used to use to make all kinds of HIGH carb goodies !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I am also spending less on food. When I think of all the junk I used to buy I just shake my head. Even with buying grass fed and organic whenever possible I still spend less. My grocery list is pretty basic.

Its also cheaper because I don't eat as much as I used to!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/249/195
Start Date: January 2014
Take out and delivery!!!! The higher costs of people talk about related to meat prices are more than offset by what I used to pay for premade food!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Wow, I can't begin to figure my savings! ...there are so many things I no longer buy - breads, ice creams, pasta, all sorts of processed foods, steel cut oats, rice, grains, starchy foods... Pizza... Oh, and all those fancy drinks at the drive thrus...
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Any money I've saved on fast food and take out (and junk) has been balanced by my awareness of the quality of the food I eat--so for many years I've bought only grass-fed beef and bison (partly due to my horror at feedlot conditions), Kerrygold butter and organic ghee, wild salmon and other premium fish.

I see my food choices as an investment in my health.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/249/195
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Any money I've saved on fast food and take out (and junk) has been balanced by my awareness of the quality of the food I eat--so for many years I've bought only grass-fed beef and bison (partly due to my horror at feedlot conditions), Kerrygold butter and organic ghee, wild salmon and other premium fish.

I am trying to really increase my quality of meats, butter, etc. as well both for health reasons and ethical reasons. I don't think I will ever become a vegetarian because this WOE is so much healthier for me...but I have been thinking more and more about how meat is raised and treated.

I'm in ALberta for the summer and I was talking to my aunt (who has a farm) about grass fed beef. She said, "Well our beef is all grass fed, if you move back here you should get a cow from us." This was a mind blowing idea...ethical (I have seen their farm...as ethical as it comes for a cattle farmer) and as grass fed as it comes this far North...I want to move back just to get my deep freeze full of high quality beef!

Now if I could just figure out how to get Kerrygold in Canada...
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
Get a milk cow, too, and churn the cream! Gee, you can make all sorts of truly fresh stuff with milk and cream from a grass fed cow. cream of course, for drinking and butter, cheeses, yogurts, milk, (or not), sell or trade for other stuff, etc.

or, the blackmarket!

Ella5
who is wearing better fitting clothes this afternoon, but still loose. I AM joyously releasing and letting go of excess body mass, fat, weight, excess tissue every day!
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Similar to Leo41, I'm not sure how much I'm saving, but my dollars are buying more quality food items. I used to be fond of the Dollar Menu.

I'm frugal by nature and my latest challenge is to try to figure out how to get grass fed and cage free for the best price and best quality. If being totally honest, the prices floor me compared to grocery stores.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #10

I'm eating better quality food, too, but I am positive the cost does not equal what I was spending on food in the past.

I suspect replacing my clothes repeatedly while dropping sizes helps eat the savings up!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willgirl View Post
Take out and delivery!!!! The higher costs of people talk about related to meat prices are more than offset by what I used to pay for premade food!

I fell off the wagon for a couple weeks once and I was astonished by the amount of $ I spent.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'm eating better quality food, too, but I am positive the cost does not equal what I was spending on food in the past.

I suspect replacing my clothes repeatedly while dropping sizes helps eat the savings up!
Same!

I still spend less on food and the quality of what I now buy is much better. I have a wonderful farm group that supplies grass fed beef (100%), pastured pork and truly free range chickens and eggs. My only food I can't afford is butter from grass fed cows. They do supply it at $26.00 per lb!!!!!

Organic veg is a minor cost.

On a side note, my dog is also benefitting ith raw, pastured, grass beef and poultry from the same group. She is one happy little doggie these days!

Last edited by clackley; 08-07-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Old 08-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
I know I'm saving at least $100 a month now not stopping for a fancy coffee drink every day. I make my own now and not only are they a fraction of the cost, the ingredients are a bit healthier, too.

I can buy quite a few ribeye with that hundred bucks!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I think I'm spending the same or slightly more. I'll have to do another couple of months to really see. Some things that are more expensive than I'm used to: wild blueberries instead of cheaper fruits, coconut milk at twice the price of cow's milk, butter instead of margarine, nuts instead of potato chips, greens instead of ramen/pasta (though I still eat some pasta, just 1/3 the amount). I'm spending incredible amounts of money on eggs.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
It's interesting to read what people are paying for their food. It varies so much!

For us our bill is down by half. That's the family bill. I'd say I'm saving quite a bit personally on what I now call my 'binge bill'. Not buying all the icecream, candy and other garbage leaves quite a bit of money in my pocket. I'm also saving more as I'm not eating lunch out anywhere near to what I used to.

The only question that remains is what to spend my 'extra' money on. Sadly, books and course fees are the obvious answer but I'm considering buying a hybrid car. My fuel costs are adding up.
backseatadventurer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Grocery wise, that'd be hard to figure. The quality of the food has continued to get better and better. Now, you wanna talk about money saved on eating out? A small fortune. Literally. It can cost roughly $50-70 for two just for dinner. Same logic applies to where we eat out, better food/higher cost. Imagine that for a week or two eating out three to four times a week. I'm just glad I am back to cooking more at home.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Cost per pound for potato chips = cost per pound for Filet mignon
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I'm saving money because I am eating so much less.

An lc diet even with high quality food doesn't have to cost a lot. I think the biggest trap is buying special lc things- bars, noodles, atkins meals, ketone meters/strips, sweeteners, syrups, drinks- those things are super overpriced. Almost no processed food = a huge savings.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetoWarrior
Stats: SW - 300 | CW - 194
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
What are you saving money on?
The amount of money I used to spend on fast food was sickening. I could never spend under $10 each time I went, because I was so gluttonous! (no seriously, 1 sandwich was never enough, and then of course I'd need some sort of "side" with that too!) So that was AT LEAST once a day, sometimes 2!

Then there's all the money I'd spend on "snacks" for around the house.. cookies, chips, ice cream, etc...

Then of course the cases and cases of soda...

I NEVER cooked, I just bought "convenience" food, and that costs sooo much!

Putting together most of my own meals really does save a lot, and then there's no buying of the snacks/fast food, etc!

As others have mentioned, there's the saving of huge medical bills down the line too! When I started I had TERRIBLE heartburn and was eating TUMS like candy, and I was in line to get type 2 diabetes.. so who knows what the costs associated with that would have been!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #20
Chatty Cathy

OOOWW, I forgot about my Tums consumption. I use to buy them in bulk at Costco!!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I'm definitely spending more on food on my LC woe, but not in a way that is a hardship, but simply by way of re-prioritizing what's important to me. If one cost goes up, something else has to go down.

Having been a huge carb hound, I used to eat a lot of pasta with different toppings. Same with rice, and they were for the better part, cheap to make. Also, bread---one can get a lot of sandwiches out of one loaf.

Now I'm eating more fresh vegetable, grass fed beef, fish, good cheeses etc. and I'm getting slimmer, healthier and happier, and when add that up, my food is a bargain!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

THIS. And frankly some LC foods I buy are a lot more expensive - but for my health, it's worth it!

And of course, there's all the money invested in basically needing a new wardrobe...
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
Since we started (restarted in my case) this way of eating, I think our grocery bills have gone down. That's because I no longer buy jarred sauces, chocolates, junk food, pre-prepared dips (I now make my own - greek yogurt is a godsend) etc.

Not by much though, because we are eating free-range chicken, shrimp, seafood, veggies - which are expensive here in Australia, but the price is offset by the savings from the junk we used to buy.
Amélie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BSR3
Stats: 159/135/130
Start Date: May, 2012
I think my grocery bill is about the same. I'm saving money on prescription medications that I used to buy and now no longer need. Three months ago I gave up Diet Coke, which was harder for me than giving up bread. I used to drive into Sonic several times a day and get the Route 44. I'd pay several dollars cash every time. Now, I'm amazed when I open up my wallet and there is still cash in there!
BSR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/299.5/287
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
[QUOTE=clackley;17000615]I am almost at the 5 yr. mark of eating a ketogenic woe and it occurred to me that I no longer know the price of certain items that I once could tell you in an instant.

For instance, bread. I figure I would have bought at least one loaf a week at the lowest price then ($2). That means I have saved over $500.00 on bread alone!!!

I would agree. I certainly don't eat out as much as I used to. There is no doubt I spend less for my simple meals verses dining out or even fast food.

Had to just laugh when I read your bread numbers. Even though I have slipped backwards some the last couple of years ( and btw..am within 15 lbs of being back to my lowest) the one thing I didn't do was break my streak of bread. I haven't had a piece of bread since Dec '08! Don't miss it either. Well, that is kinda a lie... a homegrown country tomato sandwich would be the exception. Ha!!!
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I cook up a storm on Sunday and Monday before DH and I work our 6 12hr shifts in a row. I'm at work for 2 meals and DH is there for 1 ~~ so it takes a lot of planning and lots of variety . We do sometimes run out at the end of the week so I'll pick up salad or rotisserie chicken ~ sometimes we order out wings ~

But, so many co-workers eat out every day ~ day after day ~ and it's so expensive. And in the ER , there is certainly NO guarantee you can eat your food HOT, I don't want to waste my money ( and get fat ) doing that !

Sometimes their food just sits there, when I get a break I'll grab a HB egg and a string cheese and then I'm good to go until it slows down ! For pennies !!

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!

'If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT stopping !"
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #27
Chatty Cathy

[quote=RobMan;17004784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am almost at the 5 yr. mark of eating a ketogenic woe and it occurred to me that I no longer know the price of certain items that I once could tell you in an instant.

I would agree. I certainly don't eat out as much as I used to. There is no doubt I spend less for my simple meals verses dining out or even fast food.

Had to just laugh when I read your bread numbers. Even though I have slipped backwards some the last couple of years ( and btw..am within 15 lbs of being back to my lowest) the one thing I didn't do was break my streak of bread. I haven't had a piece of bread since Dec '08! Don't miss it either. Well, that is kinda a lie... a homegrown country tomato sandwich would be the exception. Ha!!!
Ya but now you can have bacon with your tomato (albeit, tiny tomato) and just roll it into a lettuce leaf!!! Not the same but equally delicious!!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #28
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
I cook up a storm on Sunday and Monday before DH and I work our 6 12hr shifts in a row. I'm at work for 2 meals and DH is there for 1 ~~ so it takes a lot of planning and lots of variety . We do sometimes run out at the end of the week so I'll pick up salad or rotisserie chicken ~ sometimes we order out wings ~

But, so many co-workers eat out every day ~ day after day ~ and it's so expensive. And in the ER , there is certainly NO guarantee you can eat your food HOT, I don't want to waste my money ( and get fat ) doing that !

Sometimes their food just sits there, when I get a break I'll grab a HB egg and a string cheese and then I'm good to go until it slows down ! For pennies !!
I have noticed that too in that some people tend to buy their lunches every single day. I am just so far away from that now that one day I actually forgot my lunch at home and considered fasting as opposed to buying inferior food..... I knew I would get flack from my co-workers so I had a simple salad.... This was bought at a place that they all rave about but I though it was meh. I prefer my own food.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I haven't really eaten out much the last 4 1/2 years. Homemade is cheaper and better. There are times when I eat out because of abrupt schedule changes, but it's not my normal pattern.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #30

I used to buy my lunch at work everyday. One day I figured out that, if I brought my lunch instead, I could afford an iPhone & the contract that went with it at the time.

I have not bought lunch at work once since then. I do love my iphone.

Gotta love the healthy lunches, too.