Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
fast food, junk food, processed food.

I pay more for the individual items I buy when lowcarbing, but overall I save money
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Yesterday I hosted a fancy 'High Tea' for a bunch of friends. This is something we do every so often for giggles and it was my turn to host.

Usually, I would have made a few cakes, scones or whatever but this time I decided to buy pre-made. This was to reduce contact and temptation. I also made myself a salad and a savory platter.

By the time I was through it cost me nearly $70 in Aussie dollars. The fixings for my saland and salami, olive and cheese plate? $30.

Yes, pre-made is always more expensive. If I bought my savory platter pre-made it would be very expensive but it's crazy how much nutritionally poor food costs. Even if I was making from scratch, I would have probably spent around $50 for all the ingredients, decorations etc. The salad and savory platter, on the other hand, is the equivalent of several meals.

Crazy!

Anyway, the tea went well and I didn't eat the carbs.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Cost per pound for potato chips = cost per pound for Filet mignon
The problem is that you can get a lot more servings of chips out of that pound than servings of fm.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #34
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
The problem is that you can get a lot more servings of chips out of that pound than servings of fm.
I never could!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I definitely save by making my lunch every single day instead of eating out. I also used to buy potato chips and iced tea at the shop downstairs everyday. I still eat out a lot for dinners, but I'm so glad to forgoe the wasteful lunch routine.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I spend twice as much on food when eating low-carb. A part of my diet is meat every day though and it adds up a lot. I never spent much on eating out or junk food before. A big part of my diet were things like noodles, fries and bread which I bought at the supermarket for almost nothing. I had hamburgers and hot dogs (with the buns) more often than clean meats.

I'm trying to bring down the cost a little now though. I used to have meats twice a day (once red meat, once fish or chicken) and have decided to just have it once and have the other meals cheaper. Lets see how it goes.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 08-13-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I used to spend at least $15 a week on cereal. My husband would eat it for a snack and I would have it for breakfast about twice week. Eggs are much cheaper!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #38
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I do understand that eating good quality protein is more expensive than crappy grain products but for me, I simply eliminated the grains, sugars, starches and had things like hamburger without the bun, steak without the potatoes, fish - no chips.... and no second helpings. So a big portion of the plain amount I ate was reduced and therefore reduced my food bill considerably.

Where I live, plain chicken breast meat is one of the most expensive meats and I was buying those in the name of health all the time. Replacing it with thighs or whole chickens is another great savings. Taking that one step further and saving the bones to make broth is another wonderful savings.

I use to eat low fat yogurt - again for health and now when I do, I make my own and it is not low fat and it is 99% better. A lb. of ground beef makes 4 dinners for me. That is under $2! And I am talking grass fed!

I do spend quite a bit more on eggs (only truly pastured) but again even at $6 a dozen, 2 will make a meal and that is $1.

I no longer buy tubs of mayo at Costco for an incredible price but make my own from the more expensive avocado oil but for about 300 grams, it costs me about $2 and again, I don't eat nearly as much of it anymore as I no longer have bread to spread it on. Same goes for jam, jelly, cheez whiz, low fat p.b..

I rarely buy canned food anymore. No chips, crackers, ice cream, cereal, 'breakfast bars. And yes, cereal is very expensive... I was shocked to see how the prices have risen over the past few years.

Oh and I no longer feel compelled to keep my compost bowl (a.k.a. fruit bowl) constantly replenished. A few berries in the freezer and an avocado on the counter suffices quite nicely!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coldinalaska
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12 2014
Still struggling with this...

It's the time factor that gets to me and DH. We come home at 6 pm ravenous for dinner and we need something QUICK. So we are still spending $$$ on takeout food. But as I can see from other posters, it is all about prep time, and I should be trying to plan better. Why is it so hard for me I wonder?
coldinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ashryan
Stats: 181/166/125 - HW/CW/GW
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2014
cookies, cake, doughnuts, chocolate bars, and frozen coffees. I would have at lease on things from that list at least once a day if not twice. I am looking forward to letting that sugar ADDICTION go.
ashryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #41
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldinalaska View Post
It's the time factor that gets to me and DH. We come home at 6 pm ravenous for dinner and we need something QUICK. So we are still spending $$$ on takeout food. But as I can see from other posters, it is all about prep time, and I should be trying to plan better. Why is it so hard for me I wonder?
Are you in ketosis? I find that even if I am hungry, I am never ravenous in ketosis. Planning ahead for simple dinners might be the key for you. A steak or salmon fillet takes maybe 20 mins.. Add a wedge salad and you are good to go. I have also learned that it is good to make extra of things like burgers, casseroles etc. and freeze them into single serving portions for those days that you just would rather not cook....
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Yes I would think you are doing something wrong if you become ravenous. Either not eating the right things or too much time has passed since your last meal (and that time can be quite long if you are in ketosis).

On average it takes me about 10-20 minutes to make a warm meal. Yes it's longer than grabbing something on the way, but it's not THAT long to be an excuse not to do it. You can quickly fry something on a pan and make a sauce at the same time.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I can get really, really hungry, but not feel as if I will pass out, so I can wait the 20 minutes. Which book says "Hunger is not an emergency"? It's not comfortable, but if you feel like you will actually faint and your vision is affected, your blood sugar is unstable. Ketosis is supposed to fix that.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote