Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Just have to share!

Hi everyone. I was watching a woman - Stephanie Person - in her videos yesterday. She has been doing the Ketogenic diet for a long time. She recommended 1 Tbsp. of organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil just before going to bed if one has problems with insomnia. Well, it worked! It did give me a slight, but brief stomach ache, but I am sure this is what made me fall sleep right away (the coconut oil I mean) - no pills - and I didn't wake up until 6:40 this morning. And I felt rested! Just amazing. I even had coffee in the afternoon. So I got about 8 1/2 hours of good sound sleep. Maybe this will help someone else?
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcmike
Stats: 300/225/200
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2, 2014
What is it about the coconut oil that helps with insomnia?
dcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

She mentioned Lauric acid but I'm not sure if that's the answer. I just haven't time to Google it at the moment - on my way out the door to get my low carb yummies. I'll research it a.s.a.p. though.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I have no trouble falling asleep, but I wake up after 4-5 hours. I'll try the coconut oil and see if it makes any difference.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/242/195
WOE: Keto
Start Date: January 2014
One possibility is that it keeps any sort of hunger at bay all night. FOr some people that help with sleep.
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Coconut oil can also be very energizing. That is why it is recommended to use it prior to workouts. It just depends on the person.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I have no trouble falling asleep, but I wake up after 4-5 hours. I'll try the coconut oil and see if it makes any difference.
Emily, I should have been more clear. She was specifically talking about people like yourself who wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble falling asleep again. Sorry about that. I just figured it might work for me even though my problem has been that many times I can't even fall asleep until around 2 a.m. - even 3 a.m.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
Hi everyone. I was watching a woman - Stephanie Person - in her videos yesterday. She has been doing the Ketogenic diet for a long time. She recommended 1 Tbsp. of organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil just before going to bed if one has problems with insomnia. Well, it worked! It did give me a slight, but brief stomach ache, but I am sure this is what made me fall sleep right away (the coconut oil I mean) - no pills - and I didn't wake up until 6:40 this morning. And I felt rested! Just amazing. I even had coffee in the afternoon. So I got about 8 1/2 hours of good sound sleep. Maybe this will help someone else?
Awesome - I love watching Stephanie on Youtube - she also contributed to Jimmy Moore's new book....Keto Clarity. I can't wait to read.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Thanks for the information!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
What fantastic news!

But I have heard of the opposite too. It can make one more energized so that they cannot take it at bedtime because they then won't fall asleep. So just be cautious. I think that is fantastic it is helping you though Sleep is so precious
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
Awesome - I love watching Stephanie on Youtube - she also contributed to Jimmy Moore's new book....Keto Clarity. I can't wait to read.
Didn't know that. How great is that
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
I'm going to try this.
JohnAndHisCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm one of those it has the opposite effect on. It revs up my metabolism and keeps me awake. So I avoid taking it after 2-3pm.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
I tried this the other night but I couldn't tell the difference. I was already very tired and sleepy and probably would have fallen asleep quickly anyway. I'll have to try it on some night where I'm not very sleepy before I go to bed.
JohnAndHisCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbLisa
I just discovered Stephanie Person on YouTube...She is pretty intense. She claims to have been in ketosis for 4 years straight, and she works out like crazy, so her body is ripped at 47 years old - but she can't do any aerobics due to a series of knee injuries since she was a pro skateboarder. She seems to repeat all of this information in every single video, which is slightly annoying, IMO. She seems to be relatively knowledgeable about some biochemical processes, but she misspells the word lose, which drives me bananas. I can't relate to her kind of muscle definition, either - I never had any aspirations to getting "ripped" with abs like a guy. But I guess she has some interesting things to say.
LowCarbLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

She can't keep still and this irritates me a bit and there is an actress that she reminds me of who sounds like her - can't remember her name.
But I may watch some of her videos anyway as I want to keep learning about this woe and she is the one who brought my attention to "Keto Clarity".
I tried the coconut oil again a day or two after that time I said it put me to sleep and well, it did have the exact opposite effect. I was up most of the night. So who knows, I'd rather have it in my yummy morning smoothies and in my BPC I think and skip it at night. I'll keep experimenting.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbLisa
I just ordered Keto Clarity, I'm looking forward to reading it!
LowCarbLisa is offline   Reply With Quote