Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #31
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaMary View Post
Okay...our bodies do need fat, and the good, healthy kind...but I have to ask, whyif an overweight person, who is in ketosis, needs to keep putting any kind of fat in their bodies? I mean, if the body is using the fat for fuel, and is keto adapted, what is the purpose of the addtional fat? Wouldn't that stop the fat burn from the body and go for the fat burn from the food your throwing in? Just asking. Wouldn't the addition of food fat stop them from burning their body fat? So why would someone want to add fat if they stop losing? Would't they want to drop calories and fat? Again, just wondering...I only know what works for me, can't speak for anyone else.
NanaMary, the questions you ask are really good ones and the answers are complicated. As complicated as each and every human body is and for that reason, your questions cannot be answered in a few sentences here. I would happily recommend some good sources of information if you are interested. But a couple of important points about being a fat burner as I understand it.....

Basically if a person is eating low carb (something under 50g and for many, under 20g), moderating protein (this is the the standard for n.k.), then they must fill in with something and that something is fat. If they don't do this, they will be not eating enough. So when someone says they are adding fat it is with those 2 other things (carbs and protein) being restricted.

A lot of people on Atkins or many versions of low carb would not describe their woe as 'high fat' but technically anything above 50% of calories is high fat. The thing that tends to get overlooked is that these percentages are derived from the amount of macro-nutrient calories and because fat is approx. 9 calories per gram, (compared to the 4 calories per gram of protein or carbs).Clearly it doesn't take much to be high fat. I suspect that those people are not working out their percentages and that is fine if they can be successful with a looser program.

If a person decides to under eat by cutting fat back, they risk lowering their metabolism and making it even more difficult to lose and they also risk sustainability. It is of no use to lose weight to only gain it back again. It is a rare person who can maintain by basically starving themselves.

Just a note to the OP: I would suggest that you read some of Dr. Peter Attia's blog entries about his experiences achieving ketosis. He is an athlete and male so that needs to be kept in mind but I think he still has some insightful things to say that may help you get where you want to be.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LizBeth
Stats: 16/14/6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: re-re-restarted March 2008
Cheeky, I think fat fasts are great. An awesome and doable way to kick start your metabolism.

I also think you should add strength training. I recommend buying yourself a kettlebell and doing 75 kettlebell swings every other day. But make sure you have someone show you the correct form or you could hurt your back. I use a 35lb kettlebell for my swings. You may want to start with 10lb (or more/ or less) and work your way up. If you google 12 minute athlete kettlebell swing, you'll find a great article about them.
LizBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
Woooo this is tough! haha I've had two 'meals' so far, the last one just 45mins ago and I'm pretty hungry already. Definitely going to bed early tonight LOL
cheeky1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky1178 View Post

Snacks
1oz macadamia nuts
1/4 cup heavy cream in 12oz diet root beer
Whipped cream flavored with either SF Jell-O or cocoa and sweetener
3 Almond Joy fat Bombs (168 cals/90%)
Could you please share your Almond Joy fat bomb recipe with me?

Thank you,
Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
I did a fat fast awhile back for 3 days. The first day was an adjustment but the 2nd and 3rd day went fairly easily. I found that PB mixed with cream cheese and HWC kept me tied over pretty well. Plus I felt fabulous when it was done and it jump started a big loss after the fact.

You have me thinking I am going to do it again very soon!

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky1178 View Post
Woooo this is tough! haha I've had two 'meals' so far, the last one just 45mins ago and I'm pretty hungry already. Definitely going to bed early tonight LOL
It is not an easy fast but it will get better and the benefits will be worth it! If you feel like you are going to cave, have some additional fat (like butter or coconut oil - yes, just off the spoon). You really just want to push your body into ketosis and then you will have all the wonderful benefits such as not feeling hungry!!! KUTGW!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Iwantlessofme I can't remember where I got this, probably somewhere off pinterest.

Almond Joy
1/2 C coconut oil
1/2 C salted butter
1/2 C chunky almond butter
1 1/2 C finely shredded coconut
3 T cocoa
6 T DaVinci French Vanilla syrup
Kosher salt to taste

I used creamy peanut butter because that's what I had, they are probably better with a chunky nut butter. I also used unsalted butter and I didn't add the kosher salt. I have a small silicone candy mold and I got a ridiculous amount of them, maybe 50? It's a large batch but in the end with my substitutions and size mold they worked out to 1carb each.

What amounts/recipe do you use for the peanut butter and cream cheese? I might want to try that tomorrow

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. -Helen Keller"

Last edited by cheeky1178; 08-11-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

So I made it through one day and breakfast this morning. After breakfast I tried to get things done but I was so irritable and dizzy from being hungry I decided this isn't something I want to continue....my poor son doesn't deserve such a mean Mommy LOL and it wasn't really safe for me to be driving around like that!

So I had some meatloaf and green beans, I'm still under 20g carbs so far so maybe this will just be more of a KISS/Induction kind of day.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cheeky-
IMO, this is a case where listening to your body was the right thing to do. Any weight loss program should be something our bodies respond to and something we can maintain long term.

I read on another board where many people cannot tolerate low-carb eating, and are often openly hostile to the concept. But I am very carb sensitive, and my body loves low carb--I feel my best when I'm 20g of carbs a day or fewer. And my labs are always superb. That's the major reason this is my WOE.

We all have to find what works best for us individually, and I applaud you for your efforts to find your best WOE. I know you'll get there.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #40
Chatty Cathy

You gave it a go and it wasn't for you. That is what matters. Everyone is different and you need to find what works for you.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! I'm really proud that I stuck to my plan at least. I know for certain Low Carb is for me, now I just need to find my path within low carb.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseofSharon
Stats: 140/118/118
WOE: lc with my own tweaks
Start Date: summer 2006
I'm one of those people who don't do well at lower carb levels. What almost always works for me is a sudden change in activity level. If I change my exercise routine the effect if dramatic. You don't have to join a gym to exercise. Have you checked out Jessica Smith TV or any of her videos on you tube? They are awesome, all levels, and she even has fun ones to do with kids! And best of all??? Totally free!!
RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Salad Spinner
cheeky1178 ~ congrats on sticking to your plan ~ that's half the battle! Keep at it and you WILL find the path that works for you.
Salad Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Hey so this is crazy but since my one fast day, I've lost 6lbs! The 2nd day when I abandoned the fast I ended up scarfing down 6 pretzel rods and a bag of micro popcorn OOPS (My Husband reassured me that he would have eaten a lot more then that if he had fasted) BUT every day since I've eaten 48-53g carbs and I'm still dropping weight. I also seem to naturally do some kind of up/down thing with my calories. One day will be 2200ish but the next will be 1500ish, maybe that is helping too

I don't expect it to continue at that rate but maybe a fast day once and a while will help jump start things