Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UpstateNYgal
I'm back to LC Lifestyle

Hi There fellow LC friends,

I am in the beautiful Adirondack Mountains of NY State.
I've had past success (lost 50 pounds) with Atkins but that was more than 10 years ago, since then I have inched it back on by eating what I thought was healthy for the most part.

I really have determined that sugar and "bready" carbs are the enemy, so I'M BACK !!

I will be spending good quality time reading through the forums to keep myself informed and motivated.

One problem I had when on the plan before was nighttime leg and foot cramps, I've been hard core on the Atkins plan for 10 days and felt one coming on last night so I did a little searching and went out and bought Magnesium and Potassium supplements.

I am trying 1/2 a tablet of each to see if that will help.

Drinking water is not an issue for me, I love water and drink quite a bit everyday.

I'm glad this format is here and looking forward to reading up.

UpstateNYgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
Welcome back!

...and try a tablespoon of mustard before bed to help with the cramps...it's worth a try!
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Something I never realized is that Epsom salt is Magnesium. I wonder if a bath with it would help?
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, I will try the mustard.
Do you know what's in the mustard that might make a difference ?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Another thing that may help is to put 1/4 teaspoon of mortons lite salt into a glass of water and drink it. It is a good source of potassium! Most people I suggest this to find instant results.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Awesome, I'll try it !!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I knew about the Epsom Salts, due to recent surgery I cannot soak in a deep bath yet.
Hopefully that will work too.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm dedicated to getting through this "side effect"
Old 07-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome back!

I advocate for drinking regular sodium chicken broth - 2 cups per day!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
The thing that finally did the trick for me was extra sodium, quite a bit extra.
This is definitely one of those topics that get a lot of different answers. I am following a NK regimen, which can call for 5 grams of sodium a day. That's a lot. This is clearly NOT for everyone, not for those who retain water easily from salt consumption or have high blood pressure issues, etc. I do take potassium and magnesium supplements, but it's the salt that does the trick.

Here's a posting from Reddarin on the NK thread, which really cleared things up in terms I could understand.

Sodium
Low carb - it is not a low sodium way of eating or living. You *must* get your sodium in or your body will suffer. It might suffer silently for a long time before it finally breaks. Or it might express itself as agonizing leg cramps. Those cramps are caused by dehydration and/or a potassium deficiency but if you are a low sodium consumer then your sodium deficiency is contributing to your potassium loss and dehydration. The body throws potassium overboard if it has to choose between potassium and sodium. That is how important sodium is to your body. Phinney advises 5 Grams of sodium daily! That is a lot of sodium.

Fear not! Unless you are going out of your way to eat low sodium you are probably getting 2 to 4 grams in your food every day. A little extra use of the salt shaker will fix up most people just fine. It is worth taking a look at how much sodium you are getting if you use a food logger. Table salt is not one for one on sodium grams. Google for the conversion 'how much sodium in table salt'. If you've been a casual low sodium person then you should pay careful attention to what you are eating and shun your former salt scoffing ways.

Consider whatever health conditions you might have when contemplating how to address the sodium issue with your way of eating.

The body will cannabalize LBM for potassium if it has to. So, low sodium -> sacrifice potassium -> rob lean tissue for potassium -> poor LC results.

Of course, if you find something that works -- like tumeric -- that is great. But just tossing the salt suggestion out for those of you who have tried a number of other remedies to no avail.

Last edited by Patience; 07-27-2014 at 06:53 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paynts
Stats: 229/196/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 15 2014
I have heard it is the tumeric in the mustard that does the trick.
paynts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Another thing that might be helpful to you since you had surgery is that Zinc helps with healing after surgery.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Very interesting
Old 07-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living explains quite well why sodium is so necessary - particularly on a ketogenic diet. The kidneys actually function differently in ketosis and there is a minimum of sodium that one needs to have in order to feel well and function well.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
Yes it's tumeric in the mustard. I never have tried it but there was just a post on leg cramps that's floating near the top of the second page of posts. A poster's doc recommended and it worked for her.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

I'll give all the above a try and report back.
I have been able to avoid them so far but feel that I'm "on the brink" if I move just right.
I took 275 MG Potassium and 200 MG Magnesium this morning along with my Multivitamin
Time will tell :-)