Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
Can we have TOO much fat in our diet? Can you look?

Honestly, I've never done bullet proof coffee, and I swear it makes my feel great, huge energy, keeps me full for breakfast and big energy.

I 10-20 cards a day, some days less.i have in operated some shakes to replace meals if it's late and I've worked thru dinner of I'm at work and I need a quick dinner, but cut back to around 4 a week. I'm on day 13 of induction, and at 50 yrs old very happy to have lost 12 lbs.

Besides the one cup of BPC, 1tbs butter, 1 tbsp EVCO, and my meal a day and light dinner or shake, would you think fat bombs are GOOD for loss or just yummy snacks?

On the days I work I do eat Atkins TV dinners some, I count total carbs and those are my big meal, about 7-10 carbs, later a shake, 2-3 carbs. Too very much protein can stall me, so I seem to be getting it right. I'm off today and had 2 sausages no fillers, 1 carb each, with Guys BBQ sauce, 1 carb, a small baby bell cheese round and a small dill pickle, handful of pork rinds. Tonight I'll have a shake if I even eat again.

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Until recently I would have said, 'no' but then I forgot that some people consider 100gm of carbs low carbs. I don't. It's 'lower' carb (than what most people it) but it's still pretty high carb. I also forgot that some people don't count calories...and you can add a significant amount of fat if you're not counting calories.

As a diabetic, I watch my carbs (under 25gm) and protein (around 60gm) and do keep an eye on my calories because I have to. As a result my fat usually comes in at around 70-73%.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I always follow the advice of Dr. Eades (of ProteinPower) to limit my carbs (first priority) and to make sure I get my minimum protein requirements in (second priority), and then to fill out with fat to my calorie limits. Yes, as an 'older' woman, I have to watch calories, and I've found that getting in my protein without 'fearing fat' I don't worry about how much fat I'm eating.

However, adding fat with 'fat bombs' is to me a dangerous path to follow. Dr. Atkins always advised that we get sufficient fat from just using butter, EVOO, and full fat mayo, etc., and there's no reason to look for ways to increase fat.

Even Volek and Phinney advise that if a person isn't losing, the first macro to reduce is fat. It's very caloric and easy to add 'empty' calories that don't provide any real nutrition. Studies show that nutrition-dense diets are the most sustainable.

This is just what has worked for me for the past 7 years (been maintaining for 4 years).
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I suppose it depends. Yeah, I know that's the worst answer to any question.

To be honest you do need fat. It's an essential building block for the body and it helps with appetite and energy. They key issue is at what point does it become excessive. That is where it gets complicated and dependent on the individual. People metabolize things so differently there is no one size fits all answer.

I started LCHF, which is pretty relaxed about macros but coming from a position of ignorance I wanted a better guideline. That's why I started to use a keto calculator. It gives you a good idea of what to aim for in terms of calories and fat/protein/carb macros. From there you can experiment to find what works best for you.

I personally find that if I don't get around at least 60-70% of my fat macro then I start to feel a lack of energy. Fat seems to reassure my body that things are okay and we're not going through a famine

Protein is the macro I have to get and with my reduced appetite, that can be hard. Fat seems easiest to add. It's easy to squeeze in, be it BPC or salad dressing.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
I do not think adding fat is a problem as long as you are getting adequate nutrition in addition to the lower carbs (that # depends on your body, but less than 50). As long as you are hitting the right protein amount (save those muscles!) and taking the right vitamin supplements you are golden. Some veggies as you can add them with butter (or CO) or other fiber type items will help with your gut and give you some variety.
Also...the atkins meals are kind of a rip off for what you get. You are better off making 1-2 dishes at home and proportioning them for week. It can be as simple as cooking a pound of hamburger with taco seasonings, cook a 12oz package of green beans, portion 1oz of almonds.
The key is to listen to what your body is telling you. If paying attention...fat is somewhat self limiting as it satiates you. if you are not good at that as others have said...guestimate your calorie consumption as a starting point.
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

backseatadventurer-

You say your fat intake is about 65-70% of your daily diet, and that's precisely what Dr. Atkins said--that if you just focus on lowering carbs and eating sufficient protein, the fat in your food and the oils and butter you cook with would give you about 65% fat.

Yes, we need fat, but I eat wild salmon almost daily with superb Omega 3 fat content, and I also eat only grass-fed beef that has great fat content. I only buy eggs from a local farmer that are from cage free hens raised without antibiotics or other negatives. Without added fat, I am at about your level.

That's why I think the emphasis on fat on this board can mislead many newcomers. There's no need to make fat bombs (which are just 'legal' candy) to 'up' the fat. Or 'dip' all meat in mayo to raise the fat level. It's practices like that which give low carb the reputation of an 'unhealthy' WOE.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I always follow the advice of Dr. Eades (of ProteinPower) to limit my carbs (first priority) and to make sure I get my minimum protein requirements in (second priority), and then to fill out with fat to my calorie limits.

However, adding fat with 'fat bombs' is to me a dangerous path to follow. Dr. Atkins always advised that we get sufficient fat from just using butter, EVOO, and full fat mayo, etc., and there's no reason to look for ways to increase fat.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ceb65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
backseatadventurer-

You say your fat intake is about 65-70% of your daily diet, and that's precisely what Dr. Atkins said--that if you just focus on lowering carbs and eating sufficient protein, the fat in your food and the oils and butter you cook with would give you about 65% fat.WOE.
Just curious as to what book or source does Dr. Atkins say this? I've have several of his books and I only see him reference high fat 75% during the 1000 calorie fat fast. I never eat fat bombs or add extra fat to my coffee except HWC. When I added extra fat I gained. I just follow induction guidelines -add butter to my fish or mayo and use EVOO on my salad and I am losing faster than ever. 35 pounds in 4 months. When I tried last year, I ate high fat, didn't watch calories or portions and exercised daily, and only lost 12 pounds in 4 months. For the first time in 8 years I am over half way to my goal.
ceb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I jusf rerread my post lol stupid autocorrect!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
My guess is that this debate/discussion will go on.
For me, I strive for "adequate fat" not "high fat" and never "low fat."
I played around with fatbombs about a year ago. Once in a while if I am feeling a bit hungry, I'll mix up a single serving, but for the most part they are history. I typically limit fat in my coffee to 1 TBSP, but I nearly always have more than one cup in a day.
All said, I am kind of on the fence. Adequate fat is my goal and it is much higher than in a low fat diet. Without actually tracking (good idea but I don't do it), I try to be aware of how fat much I am eating, as well as how many carbs and grams of protein. I believe my aging body thanks me for good quality fats and oils, and letting the old ones stored in my body go. I am working to keep the old bod happy.

Last edited by Patience; 07-15-2014 at 07:36 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Oh nursey, that tag line is a scream.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JustMeD
Stats: 257/215/169
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 02/01/2014
Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.

This made me smile....I have a t-shirt that says this, cant wait to "fit" in it again LOL!!!

I eat my fat bombs usually when I look at my day and I am lacking in fat. As much as I enjoy them, I can't say I've had one of mine as a "treat". However, I was looking at the fat bomb thread lastnight....and a gentleman posted photos of a few he had made, MY GOD....they got me all hot and bothered! Now THOSE would definately be a treat!

Edited to add.....I started doing BPC about a week ago...and now do 2 meals and a light snack, rather than three meals. As someone else mentioned above, I have to watch my calories as well.

Last edited by JustMeD; 07-15-2014 at 08:02 AM..
JustMeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Saggy boobs or fat friends? Lol
Old 07-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Da boobs!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
Senior LCF member

ceb65-
I'm working from memory of Atkins '72--which I re-read not long ago. Dr. A doesn't 'advise' 65% fat; he mentions that a person who is eating low carb and NOT restricting fat would get about 65%. Again, it wasn't a goal. He has nothing else to say about fat other than not to be afraid of it--and this is because it was the 'revolutionary' part of his diet--at that time, all weight-loss programs were low fat basically.

He wisely knew that programs like Stillmann's (low fat, low carb) were too rigid to be sustainable long term. In his early practice, he worked with people who were extremely sensitive to insulin, and he knew that his plan had to be a WOE for life, not simply a 'diet.' Alas, he couldn't control people who use it as a 'diet,' which is why many claim that the low carbers regain their weight. Sure, they do--when they return to eating 'normally.'

As to the fat fast--that was 90% fat, not easy to do, and limited to 1,000 cal, as you mention. The reason he limited that to 3-5 days is because it is so extreme and unbalanced. It was designed for those who could not get into ketosis via induction--a very, very few of the metabolically deranged.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
"metabolically deranged" LOL. I think I may be one of those people.

I don't go out of my way to add extra fat. I'm just generous with it when I cook and add oil to my daily salad. A few months back I tried BPC in the am, but found it didn't fill me up at all and I stalled out around that time so decided to ditch them. I'll have one occasionally on a weekend.

I find fat bomb type things useful when going to the movies though. It nice to have a special treat while everyone else is eating their candy and popcorn. I might cover some macadamia nuts in coconut bark or something like that just so I have something special too.
DlaneyLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Some people swear that it helps their weight loss because things like fat bombs and BPC help them to eat less overall. I don't strive for more fat, but I use it as much as I feel I want. I never measure olive oil for my salad dressing, etc., but I don't add anything to specifically up my fat intake. It seems fine where it is. I don't do BPC (tea in my case) because it doesn't seem to fill me up like it does others, and it's just calories I don't need.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
When I first read about bullet proof tea and fat bombs here months ago and added them to my foods, things changed. It seemed as if I couldn't get enough fat. AS if I have been starving for it. I consumed both every day, possibly what many people here would consider too much. A while back, the need for so much daily diminished and I eat a lot less now. One or two bpteas a day, and maybe some fat bomb, but fat bombs are not even a daily occurrence now. But, if I go too many days without the added fat, I feel it, and I do make up for it.
Ella5
I AM joyously consciously releasing and letting go of excess body weight and mass every day!
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/130/125
WOE: Atkin'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
Other than the added calories that fat often brings, why would someone want to limit fat? Not sure of my opinion yet, but I'm just wondering what the concern is.
werkn'it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by werkn'it View Post
Other than the added calories that fat often brings, why would someone want to limit fat? Not sure of my opinion yet, but I'm just wondering what the concern is.
Atkins said that if you're following low carb (and if you look at his '72 book low carb to him seemed to be under 35gm per day) and you aren't losing weight, then the first place you look is your fats. He also said he doesn't count calories but calories count...and fat will pile on those calories faster than anything.

Even a year after hitting goal, I still log everything I eat and find that if I keep my carbs and protein where they need to be (<25gm and 60gm respectively), then my fats automatically come in around 73% to get to my 1400-1500 calories and that's just with using 7gm of butter to cook my morning eggs in, bacon, a Tbs of EVOO on my salads or a sprinkle of parmesan on my vegies and my BPC's and/or coffee with cream.

I honestly believe this is the balance Atkins was talking about...not the unlimited gorging and stuffing of fat that the media and those who never read his book tend to believe.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I can comfortably and easily hit 60-65% of my daily calories from fat and do great. When I go above that I find myself hungrier, because I'm often exchanging that energy density for bulk. I need a bulky and filling low carb diet, not just straight butter. Typical Atkins menus with no fat fear but not pushing it, either, have been best for me. And always with an eye on overal energy intake. At 200+ pounds it didn't matter, but now I have to watch it all.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes you can have too much fat in your diet for weight loss and by the same token, you can too little fat for weight loss. It is highly individual and also depends on if you have other objectives aside from weight loss.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

well..iguess as fat as I am at this moment its either.helping, or maybe I'd lose more. I have zero appetite. ive lost 15# during induction, but drink the shakes and eat 2 fat bombs a day, 1 shake, 1 BPC and 1 meal....and I often have to force the meal..just food.grosses me out a bit
Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #24
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
^^^^The 'magic' of ketosis!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote