Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rachmarie
Bread substitutes and Bran issue

Does anyone know of a way to get bran without the carbs? I am supposed to have bran due to my serious high risk of colon cancer plus my IBS.

Yet I am in the early stage of Type 2 Diabetes so starch is bad

And yes it was the starch that did me in, I have never been much of a sweets eater (though chocolate is my weakness), I knew with family history of diabetes I needed to watch sugar. BUT I am very poor in income and have had a lot of starch in the diet lately, and that is what led me to getting the big D.
rachmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rachmarie
Also any ideas for low carb bread substitutes I would really love to find a low carb high fiber sourdough bread alternative

Ok maybe I am dreaming for the impossible :P
rachmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
well I just avoid bread altogether because I haven't found a palatable one -well that and I know i'd have no self control for bread

as for the Bran - they only recommend that as it's an easy form of fiber, relatively cheap and most people like it. But most fiberous foods will work in place of bran. Spinach, celery, broccoli are good sources that are low carb. You can also use a fiber supplement in some recipes to add bulk, etc. If you can tolerate a little fruit rasberries have a fair amount of fiber.

Skinny Crisps (yummy btw) use psyllium husks (fiber supplement) in their crackers. That's just one example I can think of off hand. You might try going to the recipe forum and ask if someone has some high fiber recipes.

The most important thing is to make sure most of what you eat includes fiber rich foods (veggies mostly).

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I found flax seed (minute muffins) worked much better than bran and for far less carbs. I never bothered with the bread substitutes but instead made oopsie rolls when I wanted 'bread'. For pizza, I made a dough with mozzarella cheese, coconut and almond flours.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
You might want to take a look at the Thinslim breads netrition sells. I've also purchased the Ciao Carb toast, it's fairly high fiber. Oat fiber can make a nice addition to baked goods, but I've not mastered the art of using it. Good luck!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
If anyone finds a "low carb" sour dough bread that tastes good let me know. I'd be all over it! I crave grilled cheese on sourdough! That is the one item I really miss but have no control so I have to stay away completely.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Avocados have quite a bit of fiber, too.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I used to have IBS but it has been cured by eating low carb, low fiber. Fiber really isn't the cure-all. In fact, it is an irritant to the digestive tract. Google "Eades fiber" and read his blog post titled "A cautionary tale of mucus fore and aft". Several of the other hits you will get when you google that are good to read as well.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I used to have IBS but it has been cured by eating low carb, low fiber. Fiber really isn't the cure-all. In fact, it is an irritant to the digestive tract. Google "Eades fiber" and read his blog post titled "A cautionary tale of mucus fore and aft". Several of the other hits you will get when you google that are good to read as well.
An interesting read, as I've been having some IBS-like symptoms lately (although more on the...blocked up side. Sorry for TMI!). I eat low carb but by way of LOTS of fiber (naturally through flax, veggies, & a few other things I'll give a pass like inulin, etc), but I have to say that anyone who decries an entire food substance (like the necessity/usefulness of ANY fiber at all) has me skeptical. Too much of anything is bad. A bunch of big ole pills solely containing fiber taken all the time would definitely be bad. Especially in lieu of the benefits eating real food containing fiber might include, say like spinach.

I also see that many people in these articles are discussing an increase of fiber intake through high-carb foods like whole grains and apples, which I do frankly think are the real issue there - or at least far more than the fiber in them. Just my 2 cents!
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bubbles1234
Stats: 182.6/171.2/150 (5'10")
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 4/1/14
I didn't know that about avocado, I am happy to hear they are a good source of fiber.
bubbles1234 is offline   Reply With Quote