Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Maybe people are jealous of the self-control.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
Today I saw yet more overweight people with nonfat half n half and all kinds of "healthy" foods like granola and fruit juice. One was obviously a vegetarian, the "healthy" kind I used to be: eating all kinds of carbs as long as they didn't contain animal, and watching the fat intake while keeping excess torso weight on. It makes me sad that I didn't know and other people don't know the truth about "health" foods.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
Yes, I think some are. Many are distrustful of it. Meaning that they simply do not understand or believe that someone does not visit McDonald's 3 times a week and can keep it up without feeling like they're missing out on life. Funny, I don't find eating at fast food establishments very life affirming despite what the commercials try and get you to believe.
Quote:
Today I saw yet more overweight people with nonfat half n half and all kinds of "healthy" foods like granola and fruit juice
That's what kills me, we have all this "healthy" stuff available (the labels all tell us it's healthy, so it must be that simple, right?) yet obesity thrives. I just saw a commercial for a "healthy" yogurt. No fat!! 12 grams of protein!! No mention of the sugar it contains.
LDL: 191
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ValentineNicole
Since adding coconut oil to my coffee (and only for the last couple weeks!) I've lost almost every bit of cellulite! It's plagued me all my life except when I'm in my best shape, and I'm barely working out!
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #185
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spinningblue
Stats: 221/205.2/150
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 07/20/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineNicole View Post
Since adding coconut oil to my coffee (and only for the last couple weeks!) I've lost almost every bit of cellulite! It's plagued me all my life except when I'm in my best shape, and I'm barely working out!
....slides off sofa to go purchase coconut oil...
spinningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Wow? Really? Luckily, I somehow have no cellulite ... or very little. But I'mma keep using coconut oil!!
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningblue View Post
....slides off sofa to go purchase coconut oil...
*slides off sofa because she uses coconut oil for everything, and everything in the apt is coated in a thin film*
Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

I'm having to re-learn how to grocery shop, just as I did when I went vegetarian. I still don't have a handle on how much of everything to buy, but I do know this: instead of 8 gallons of milk, 8 dozen eggs.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
I always thought fruit and fruit juice were really good for people who wanted to lose weight. Before I started this, I bought 6 gallons of juice. After learning it wasn't, I planted it with a local food bank. Along with some other items I no longer consume.
I go to a pot luck at times, and take some items that I can't eat, and others have been bringing (so far) foods I can eat. Deviled eggs, fried chicken, green salads, etc.
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #190
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I've followed a lot of different nutrition plans over the years but this is the only one I can actually stay on when life becomes nightmarishly stressful. Sadly, I've had many opportunities to test this.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
DD keeps drinking my lemon water...every time I turn around she is drinking it......

Deb,
surgery set up yet?
P.S.
loved the Audrey avatar

I have coconut oil everyday why hasn't my cellulite packed up and left me?.....
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #192

mmm... Lemon water! I'd be drinking it, too! lol...

I should find out my surgery date on Thursday.

Thanks, I might have another Audrey avatar later in the month...
Old 08-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

So I was checking out "Grain Brain" and "Wheat Belly" at the store today and reading the jacket there was comment I asked DD to read about dementia etc. Sadly her response was "don't believe everything you read."
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #194
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
wondering why the boards are sooooo slow last few days ....... ??
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
I have a whole pinterest board dedicated to high carb foods. I just like looking at them and have convinced myself that I will make them for my non lowcarb boyfriend for his birthday. Don't know if that's going to happen!

BTW, found this: Low Carb "Cinnabon" Sweet Rolls (Induction Friendly)
Yes! I just love looking at food. I have that board too, except I called mine 'Low Carb This' because I've discovered that there's a great LC alternative for everything - and I love a challenge! Pizza and cake, mmm...
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
Honestly, I think you nailed it here. I've also noticed that a lot of people sometimes assume that you are judging THEM for eating the way they do, when in fact you're doing it for yourself and don't actually care what other people are eating. Just a defense mechanism, I guess.

But I've seen you mention all your frustrating exchanges with people before - you have some aggressively anti-LC peeps to deal with! Geez, why does it matter if you aren't going to eat a potato chip??
Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
*slides off sofa because she uses coconut oil for everything, and everything in the apt is coated in a thin film*
I honestly laughed out loud at this, like a really loud awkward bark. Ahaha!!! Oh, coconut oil.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
I've been eating Roasted Pumpkin Seeds for 1/2 an hour and even if I eat the whole 2oz bag, it's only 2g carbs and 2g fiber so it's all free.
I'm really eating them for the magnesium, they're full of it.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoparty! View Post
I honestly laughed out loud at this, like a really loud awkward bark. Ahaha!!! Oh, coconut oil.
That was the goal.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #200
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumdensity View Post
So I was checking out "Grain Brain" and "Wheat Belly" at the store today and reading the jacket there was comment I asked DD to read about dementia etc. Sadly her response was "don't believe everything you read."
I would agree with your DD 100% in don't believe everything you read. That is why it is really important to understand how and why the information is being presented and how reliable it might be.

In this case, your DD may want to do some research on this very important subject because I do believe there is very reliable evidence that wheat, grains, and other carbohydrates are at very least contributing to our ever growing number of people with one form of dementia or another including Alzheimer disease.

There is a great little 15 minute clip on youtube by Tom Naughton (creator of Fat Head) called, Science for Smart People that is so worth while and very entertaining as well. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not already seen it!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #201

How could I forget to buy bacon???
Old 08-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Cathy,
DD is going to have to cut back on her carbs, she is rapidly gaining. I think it is hard for her to get inspired by me. In school the nutrition teachings oppose what I am saying, and since I am the parent I can't possibly know what I am talking about. There may also be denial, if I am right she would have to eat protein, ( has been a struggle since she was a toddler ). For her to give up sugar....her diet consists of cereal (a lot), pasta, bread,crackers, and milk. I think it isn't what she wants, immediate gratification is what she wants. DH is a sugar freak as well. I am going to try an cut both of them back w/o them knowing....wish me luck

Meanwhile I'll keep bringing more books home, and hope something I quote will resinate
Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Deb,
I would say next trip, but knowing the circumstances.....If your neighbor is still checking on you perhaps she would be willing to pick some up for you her next time out and about????
Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
My DD has been eating my low-carb catsup, (which is here but I don't really eat) and now she says that the regular catsup is too sweet.
I also found Taco Bell Mild Sauce at the grocery store and it says it has 0 carbs per serving. She has been using that too and thinks it's great.
Since I've been on this WOE she has also completely stopped drinking soda....little-by-little. She has also bought a pac. of low-carb tortillas...yea!
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumdensity View Post
Deb,
I would say next trip, but knowing the circumstances.....If your neighbor is still checking on you perhaps she would be willing to pick some up for you her next time out and about????
That is an idea but I think I'm going to wait & pick some up Tuesday after my pre-surgery doctor appointment since I'll be out anyway. I can take my knee walker in Mom's car so I'll be able to go in the store myself.

I might need to ask my neighbor to pick up a thing or two post-surgery but I'm hoping recovery is not bad so I can get back my doing things myself ASAP.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
How could I forget to buy bacon???
Dementia? Just kidding. You probably have what I coined as Modern Woman Syndrome. You have too much to do and too little time to do it.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
Dementia? Just kidding. You probably have what I coined as Modern Woman Syndrome. You have too much to do and too little time to do it.
Partly. My mom took me shopping & that was very stressful. She was pushing the cart & I was using a knee walker/scooter so I did not have to walk on my broken foot.

Mom really did not want to be there so I knowingly skipped getting a few things & did not check my list one last time, which I always do when I am shopping alone. If I had looked at my list I would have seen the bacon & bought it. Lesson learned.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Deb,
I really wish you more than a speedy recovery . On another thread someone mentioned gelatin and collagen, I have been actually looking for a source for both of these myself. I do think it is a good suggestion to aid in recovery. And of course bacon and eggs
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

FoodLady,
you are too funny
Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Partly. My mom took me shopping & that was very stressful. She was pushing the cart & I was using a knee walker/scooter so I did not have to walk on my broken foot.

Mom really did not want to be there so I knowingly skipped getting a few things & did not check my list one last time, which I always do when I am shopping alone. If I had looked at my list I would have seen the bacon & bought it. Lesson learned.
I'm sorry, dear; I was hoping a laugh would make you feel better. I am famous for leaving my list at home, right there on the refrigerator, so at least you had yours. Too bad you can't go every couple of days with your foot broken. I'd go for you if I lived by you! I'm always at the store; it's how I relax after work. I'm a freak.

And now for my thought of the day: Should I get a scale or just keep taking measurements?