Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!
 
Meme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,119
Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
YUM........ You are making me hungry!!
How did you make that crust. Please tell me it's easy.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 298
Gallery: Food Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoparty! View Post
But then again, I'm the kind of person who just NEEDS something sweet after dinner, so in a way it helps me to have something available!
Sometimes I do hot tea. It is a signal to me that it's the end of the night and eating is over. My absolute favorite is one that has 3 kinds of cinnamon and tastes like red hot candies if you add sweetener. But lots of people have written the company to ask if there's some kind of sweetener in it and the company says it's just the natural sweetness of the cinnamon. They tested it just to be sure, they say! The company is Harney & Sons, out of New York, and the tea is Hot Cinnamon or sometimes called Hot Cinnamon Sunset. My local Target carries it. I don't care if the AC is on and it's July; I'm going to make a cup right now.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!
 
Meme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,119
Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
Sometimes I do hot tea. It is a signal to me that it's the end of the night and eating is over. My absolute favorite is one that has 3 kinds of cinnamon and tastes like red hot candies if you add sweetener. But lots of people have written the company to ask if there's some kind of sweetener in it and the company says it's just the natural sweetness of the cinnamon. They tested it just to be sure, they say! The company is Harney & Sons, out of New York, and the tea is Hot Cinnamon or sometimes called Hot Cinnamon Sunset. My local Target carries it. I don't care if the AC is on and it's July; I'm going to make a cup right now.
Yum! Make some for me too!!
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 197
Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
Sometimes I do hot tea. It is a signal to me that it's the end of the night and eating is over. My absolute favorite is one that has 3 kinds of cinnamon and tastes like red hot candies if you add sweetener. But lots of people have written the company to ask if there's some kind of sweetener in it and the company says it's just the natural sweetness of the cinnamon. They tested it just to be sure, they say! The company is Harney & Sons, out of New York, and the tea is Hot Cinnamon or sometimes called Hot Cinnamon Sunset. My local Target carries it. I don't care if the AC is on and it's July; I'm going to make a cup right now.
OMG. Yes. There are days where it is humid enough to cut the air and I'm sitting there drinking hot tea. I do also enjoy it after dinner to signal the meal is over, although it usually comes in tandem with some almond butter or something else along those lines I can't heeeeelp it

And thanks for the rec, cinnamon is kind of my favorite everything. It really does add a sweetness of its own! I'll look up Harney & Sons, maybe they'd have a decaf or herbal cinnamon variety?
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 197
Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
YUM........ You are making me hungry!!
How did you make that crust. Please tell me it's easy.
Why thank you!! And yes, it was absolutely easy. I...didn't write down the recipe I'm sorryyyy! But it was mostly ground flaxseed, coconut flour, then a bit of almond flour with egg whites and a dollop of greek yogurt and seasonings. Smooshed it into pizza crust shapes, baked, BOOM. There we are. I'll be sure to write down ratios next time and share (I do have a recipe blog, so you'd think I'd be a little more put together with regards to this kind of thing. Go figure.)
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 298
Gallery: Food Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoparty! View Post
And thanks for the rec, cinnamon is kind of my favorite everything. It really does add a sweetness of its own! I'll look up Harney & Sons, maybe they'd have a decaf or herbal cinnamon variety?
They do have both a decaf and an herbal, but neither is as good as the original.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member
 
maximumdensity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 770
Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
I made a pizza crust with califlower. It was dangerously good
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!
 
Meme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,119
Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumdensity View Post
I made a pizza crust with califlower. It was dangerously good
Cali crust is still on my bucket list...
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member
 
spaceace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 375
Gallery: spaceace
Please tell me how you did that ? (made pizza crust from cauliflower)
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 298
Gallery: Food Lady
spaceace, it's really popular. If you don't want to wait for md to come back to the thread, google it. I have a feeling she's a good cook, though, so maybe we want her version.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member
 
maximumdensity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 770
Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Cali-pizza crust
2 1/2c. grated califlower
1 lg. egg lightly beaten
1 1/4c. shredded mozerella
2 T. parmesean

preheat oven to 425 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper ( I used a well sprayed spring form pan instead, it worked great ).
Microwave grated califlower 7-8 mins. mix in egg, 1c. mozerella and parmesan. Add seasoning to your liking. Pat into pan, spray with non-stick spray. Bake 10-15 min. Top with desired toppings add remaining mozarella, bake 10 min. more.

I topped mine with sausage onions and mushrooms. I could eat this everyday of the week and twice on Sundays
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!
 
shelby'snana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: middle of nowhere, Tx
Posts: 6,198
Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
it's really good..... I've made it too ! Yum......
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member
 
Mr_Geiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 960
Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
It's really really difficult for me to imagine cali working in a pizza crust. It doesn't sound good.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #134
Blabbermouth!!!
 
shelby'snana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: middle of nowhere, Tx
Posts: 6,198
Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
try it ... it is !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 136
Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Sometimes I pound a chicken breast really, really thin, and use it as a pizza crust. Sprinkle with seasons, top with toppings, bake at 400 for 10 minutes, and it is really good. I still use a fork. Don't pick it up. It's delicious. I don't know if I'm allowed to say whose recipe it is, so I won't, but it's one you all know.
JanetA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 298
Gallery: Food Lady
I sometimes ring up groceries at work and today I had 2 customers that exemplified that low-carb works. The first was a very overweight lady with english muffins (original white flour version), nonfat milk, lots of fruit (more than I could eat in a month), and fat-free or low-fat salad dressing. The guy after her had lots of nuts, almond milk, and hummus (which is low in carbs if you don't overeat). He had absolutely nothing with flour or sugar. He was trim and healthy-looking. Now, I know there are overlaps and exceptions and some who can eat anything in small portions (I can handle beans or bread), but when the bulk of your groceries is fat-free and fructose....
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!
 
Meme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,119
Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
I notice what is in people's baskets now. Sometimes I wonder what they think when they look in my low-carb basket. 8 packs of bacon, three meats, sausage, 4-5 fresh vegetables, cream, cheese, sugar free jello...not much else.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 298
Gallery: Food Lady
I'd think, "Good job on not getting diabetes!" and also, "Not a vegetarian."
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member
 
Mr_Geiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 960
Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Was arguing with someone on a FB low-carb chat. He accused me of being a part of a cult for thinking potatoes are unhealthy.

Something along these lines "Yes potatoes don't work with this type of eating, but to claim they are unhealthy in general is just extremism".

If I'm in a cult then perhaps this place is it so maybe not the right place to ask but... Have I become too one sided and extreme with my opinions on food groups?
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member
 
maximumdensity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 770
Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
I have become truly addicted to BPC I may have to have days when I have nothing else. Just how much BCP can one body hold???


Meme- what kind of sugar free jello do you buy, everything here is aspartamine (SP?)

The health markets here only care about gluten Like carry some sugar free ketchup would ya?
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 298
Gallery: Food Lady
I had another customer buying Atkins bars and I mentioned that I've gone back to lower-carb eating. He told me his doctor said, "You're borderline diabetic." I encouraged him to stick with it, that if I can do it, anyone can! It felt good to encourage someone. He was obviously--by accent--from one of the southern states where battered and fried and served with sweet tea is a way of life. (There is a convention going on in a nearby city that draws people from all over the world every year).
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!
 
Meme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,119
Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I'd think, "Good job on not getting diabetes!" and also, "Not a vegetarian."
That's good...
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member
 
Willgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 268
Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/254/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
Was arguing with someone on a FB low-carb chat. He accused me of being a part of a cult for thinking potatoes are unhealthy.

Something along these lines "Yes potatoes don't work with this type of eating, but to claim they are unhealthy in general is just extremism".

If I'm in a cult then perhaps this place is it so maybe not the right place to ask but... Have I become too one sided and extreme with my opinions on food groups?
Yes and no. People eat way too many carbs. But some people have a much higher tolerance for carbs than others and can happily eat potatoes their whole lives and be healthy. Overall, however, people think these starchy foods are much better for them than they actually are. I had a similar conversation with someone about oatmeal.
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Texas
Posts: 123
Gallery: gammazach
Stats: 266/249.5/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 4/19/2011 restart 7/17/14
My grandson wanted some slimey??? HMM, I said, show me what slimey is. He proceeds to bring out the salami. He is four and I just had to laugh at that pronunciation. It was good for a laugh, so our snack is now SLIMEY!!!!!
gammazach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member
 
Mr_Geiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 960
Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willgirl View Post
Yes and no. People eat way too many carbs. But some people have a much higher tolerance for carbs than others and can happily eat potatoes their whole lives and be healthy. Overall, however, people think these starchy foods are much better for them than they actually are. I had a similar conversation with someone about oatmeal.
Well I don't think everybody should have to be eating very low carb, although I do think for most if not all people it is a better idea to have fat as the main energy source.

Just because you have a better tolerance it does not mean it's good for you. You also don't have much nutrition other than in the skin which most people remove.

Potatoes spike your blood sugar big time. So although some people tolerate it more than others I don't think it's irrational to call it a unhealthy food so people will limit the consumption of it just like with sugars.

You can go that road with everything really. Sugar isn't unhealthy, just when you have too much of it. Perhaps that's technically true, but it's a more simple and better message to just call it unhealthy always. I have no problem with applying the same thing to items like flour and potatoes.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 07-29-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #146
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 74,238
Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammazach View Post
My grandson wanted some slimey??? HMM, I said, show me what slimey is. He proceeds to bring out the salami. He is four and I just had to laugh at that pronunciation. It was good for a laugh, so our snack is now SLIMEY!!!!!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #147
Senior LCF member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,605
Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Wheat flour and potatoes are entirely different things nutritionally. I happen to be very carb sensitive, so I don't eat either, and the problems with wheat are well documented in recent publications (e.g. Wheat Belly).

However, both potatoes and rice are considered 'healthy' starches, according to Mark Sisson and others. People who can thrive on 100-150g of carbs (the majority) can maintain their weight eating both. Check out Primal eating forums for people who are very nutritionally aware and eat both rice and potatoes as part of their total WOE.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member
 
Food Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 298
Gallery: Food Lady
I want a Cinnabon.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member
 
Willgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 268
Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/254/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
Well I don't think everybody should have to be eating very low carb, although I do think for most if not all people it is a better idea to have fat as the main energy source.

Just because you have a better tolerance it does not mean it's good for you. You also don't have much nutrition other than in the skin which most people remove.

Potatoes spike your blood sugar big time. So although some people tolerate it more than others I don't think it's irrational to call it a unhealthy food so people will limit the consumption of it just like with sugars.

You can go that road with everything really. Sugar isn't unhealthy, just when you have too much of it. Perhaps that's technically true, but it's a more simple and better message to just call it unhealthy always. I have no problem with applying the same thing to items like flour and potatoes.
Yeah, I hear you. I wish we could have a food pyramid type thing where anything that is really starchy or sugary is treated as something to be considered an indulgence rather than a staple (including brown rice, whole grains, and potatoes). Then if people want potatoes as a treat, have at it, but don't think you are doing your body a favour! My mom generally agrees with low carb but can't get over the idea that things like wild rice (110 grams of carb per small serving) are healthy.
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member
 
maximumdensity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 770
Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Food Lady- I don't think that is on plan....BE STRONG
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.