Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ironforger
Stats: 159 lbs, 6' 0". lost 16 lbs on LCHF diet.
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Sept 2013
peanut butter or cabbabge low carb?

Technically I understand that peanutes are a legume, not a nut. So, is peanut butter (in moderation) ok for a low carb diet?

How about cabbage? I just had a friend suggest cabbage, so I made an AWESOME dish, boiled cabbage, with meatsauce, garbonzos & mozzarelly. Delish!!!
Ironforger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Peanut butter with no added sugar is fairly low carb.

Cabbage is fine, but in the recipe you ate if you are referring to garbanzo beans (chickpeas), those are not low carb.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't know what plan you're on, but peanuts are pretty high up on the carb ladder, and the body reacts to them differently than true nuts. You may have to experiment. Some do fine with them, some really don't.

I eat cabbage all the time. Cruciferous veggies are pretty much my staple veggies. BUT I do watch portion sizes. I only eat a serving at a time.

Skip the beans.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/194/160
If your "meatsauce" came from a jar, you will want to double-check the nutrition information. If you didn't make it yourself it could contain a lot of sugar.

Also, peanuts are not a nut, they are a legume. Legumes are better avoided on a low-carb plan. Try almond butter instead. Almonds are tree nuts.
RyeBaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
It really depends on your plan. They're definitely fine when you're maintaining weight loss for life. But for insulin control, active losing, or even just a very carb sensitive body, you may find that peanuts and cabbage aren't friendly to you.

I eat them without an issue, though.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Almond butter is lower carb and healthier than peanutbutter, but very expensive. Another option is sunbutter, made with sunflower seeds, but often with sugar so watch the labels.

I just got a Ninja system, and made my own almond butter today for about 1/3 the cost of buying it.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:272 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I agree that checking labels is absolutely necessary. When it comes to carbs there are four things you need to consider.

First is how much of the food are carbs. Check the percentages in the nutrition label for that.

Second is how many carbs there are in a single serving. Some relatively carb high foods can be eaten in smaller servings. Vegetables are a great example of this.

Third is how much of your carb allowance does it make up. Sometimes it's worth it to 'save' carbs for a treat like berries but usually it's best to spread your carbs out through the day.

Fourth is what the GI of the food or type of carb is. A food may fit your macros but high GI foods will still give you a sugar spike. This is particularly so if the food is a good percentage of your allowance.

If you're curious about carbs in various ingredients and recipes, the best way of finding out it to log the recipe or food into an online tracker.
backseatadventurer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Almond butter, to me, has such a richer, more complex flavor, that it takes only about 1/2 as much to satisfy that taste craving than it does peanut butter
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm the opposite of Dottie. Although I usually eat almond butter because I think it's healthier, I find that peanut butter has a more intense flavor.

As to carbs, I buy only 'natural' nut butters--no additives at all--and I find the carb count the same for both peanut butter and almond butter--7 total, 4 net for two tablespoons.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #10
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
I don't know the rules of your LCHF plan, so I can't answer that definitively. However, I will say that on Atkins I've enjoyed peanut butter (at 6-7 total carbs per 2T serving) without a hitch from the beginning. Of course, I don't eat the whole jar at a time. My favorite way to eat it is to add a healthy portion to a plate, melt it, and add a packet of Splenda/Stevia.

But I strongly urge you to give macadamia nut butter (4 carbs, 3 fibers per 2T) a shot - it's like going from a condo to a mansion. I think macadamia nuts are like God's bear hug to all of us.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Is macadamia nut hard to find?
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Peanuts are really a "your mileage may vary" matter.
If you can eat them in moderation (small portions) and you are not at induction level of carbs, you are likely ok. I like them but avoid them at all costs, because I am likely to eat too many and I don't want to spend my carbs that way. For me, cabbage would be far superior choice. I love African peanut soups, and peanut based sauces, so it's possible I may add them some day down the road. But if I can't crack my moderation issue with nuts/peanuts, then I won't.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
I'm here to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Is macadamia nut hard to find?
I tend to see macadamia nut butter at nicer/larger supermarkets and health food stores. Macadamia nuts themselves, I see everywhere - even Big Lots & gas stations.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
I tend to see macadamia nut butter at nicer/larger supermarkets and health food stores. Macadamia nuts themselves, I see everywhere - even Big Lots & gas stations.
Yes the Macadamia nut butter. How do you eat it? It sounds really good.
I know that Atkins really recommended them in his book.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I also see macadamia nut oil . . . . I have not purchased it though.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Depends on your plan and how low carb you are. My max amount of allowable carbs at lunch or dinner is 12. Breakfast is only about 6. Given that my eggs and half & half take up 2.5gm at breakfast, it's not doable. At other meals, I'm more likely to eat vegies because they fill me up, whereas peanut butter...even sugar free/natural types make me crave and want more.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Since you actually want/need to gain some weight, I wouldn't worry about either at this time.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Peanuts are really a "your mileage may vary" matter.
If you can eat them in moderation (small portions) and you are not at induction level of carbs, you are likely ok. I like them but avoid them at all costs, because I am likely to eat too many and I don't want to spend my carbs that way. For me, cabbage would be far superior choice. I love African peanut soups, and peanut based sauces, so it's possible I may add them some day down the road. But if I can't crack my moderation issue with nuts/peanuts, then I won't.
Patience---My hubby makes a fantastic African peanut chicken soup, and by the time you get down to one serving of it the carbs are pretty low---about 8 total, 6 net. I find it very rich, so one serving does it for me, and actually, I only really love peanuts in soups and sauces, so this works great---I get that great peanut sauce taste without the temptation to eat more. I have it for dinner w/sliced avocado and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar on the side, and boy, that fills one up.

Would you have the same temptation problems with soup as opposed to hand in bag?
Old 06-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I do better with peanuts as part of a meal rather than a snack, for sure.
I think I can probably do this as I approach maintenance, but for this summer I am trying to avoid nuts cause I really want to drop a few pounds. Come winter I might start experimenting more. I can buy small quantities of nuts and nut butters in bulk at my coop, so that's a good portion control strategy.

I also love a good peanut sauce and peanut based curries. Especially if someone else makes them for me. When I partake of a salad bar (not that often), I can also sneak some nuts or seeds in because it's easier to limit quantity.

Do you (or anyone else) have a good peanut sauce, peanut soup, or peanut-based curry recipe to share?
Old 06-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/194/160
I use coconut milk, Taste of Thai red curry paste, (natural) peanut butter, a tsp or 2 of tamari (or soy), juice of a lime, and a drop or two of molasses if you have it (I usually don't), or a packet of Apriva sucralose. To a can of coconut milk I add about 2 rounded TBS each of the curry paste and peanut butter. Balance the lime taste with the sucralose and soy. It's not science, so fiddle with the amounts until it pleases you. I cook it in a small pan on the stove. This is a pretty fair peanut sauce for dipping satay. Add curry powder if you want. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I love curry.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
I'm actually kinda surprised by this entire conversation - most natural peanut butters ARE fairly low carb - like 4g net per 2 tbsp. People are recommending almond butter (which I love) as an alternative, but I just saw Whole Foods natural almond butter today with the exact same carb count as most natural peanut butters - 7g total carb, 3g fiber. Is peanut butter really considered that high carb?

And cabbage?? Are we talking plain green cabbage, here? Can people gain weight with that? Isn't about half the carb content fiber? I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS [a la Zoolander]
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Nano, a lot of us have portion control problems with nuts. If you can limit your consumption to 2 tbsps that is great, but the carbs and calories are significant if you eat more. And some us don't do net carbs. Cabbage isn't in the same league at all.

Kind of like apples and oranges? (The saying, not the real fruit.)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It's not just the carb count with peanuts. It's the fact that they're legumes and higher glycemic and more inflammatory than tree nuts. Everything isn't purely about carb count. Different things affect the body differently, and it's worth thinking about.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoparty! View Post
I'm actually kinda surprised by this entire conversation - most natural peanut butters ARE fairly low carb - like 4g net per 2 tbsp. People are recommending almond butter (which I love) as an alternative, but I just saw Whole Foods natural almond butter today with the exact same carb count as most natural peanut butters - 7g total carb, 3g fiber. Is peanut butter really considered that high carb?

And cabbage?? Are we talking plain green cabbage, here? Can people gain weight with that? Isn't about half the carb content fiber? I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS [a la Zoolander]
For someone with FODMAP issues neither food is a good idea. And if it gives an individual cravings or they overeat it, more problems there, as well. Low carbing for life is about more than just the number on the page. And cabbage is awesome for me, but I can still eat piles of it if I'm not careful (especially sautéed or as sauerkraut).

You're not crazy, but neither are any of us for whom those might be limited or even off limits foods
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
It's not just the carb count with peanuts. It's the fact that they're legumes and higher glycemic and more inflammatory than tree nuts. Everything isn't purely about carb count. Different things affect the body differently, and it's worth thinking about.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #26
I'm here to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Yes the Macadamia nut butter. How do you eat it? It sounds really good.
I know that Atkins really recommended them in his book.
I typically spoon macadamia nut butter close-to-straight like all my nut butters, but I won't give you such a boring answer.
  • You can add maple extract to it. Just for giggles.
  • You can use it as a lower-carb alternative to peanut butter for things like low-carb cookies, pies, brownies, fudge, cups (i.e., PB cups), as well as in chocolate bark & fat bombs.
  • Schmear some on celery stalks.
  • As a mix-in with low-carb pancakes or waffles.
  • Don't forget, you can also make your own at home in a food processor. Grind until paste-like; add salt and/or oil until you really see it bind.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Almond butter, to me, has such a richer, more complex flavor, that it takes only about 1/2 as much to satisfy that taste craving than it does peanut butter
I actually am one that doesn't care for almond butter and other nut butters. Don't get me wrong, they are ok, but the carbs are similar to peanut butter, and I just like PB

I also didn't read everyone else's answers.

In short to answer the OP, Yes and Yes. Count your carbs, watch your servings, see how it effects your weight loss. I can eat a little PB with no effect, but the problem is I don't want a little PB, I want all the PB lol. So I just rarely buy it unless I'm making PB fudge or PB cookies (LC of course)

Last edited by MsWoods; 06-23-2014 at 08:55 AM..
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I love peanut butter and eat it on a pretty regular basis, but just one serving, once a day. I haven't noticed if it's interfered with my loss, because I lose slowly anyway.

I just bought almond butter yesterday. I do like it but not as much as peanut butter.

I will keep eating it though. I like to keep an eye on inflammation and try to avoid eating too many inflammatory foods.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Hmmmm, maybe Ntombi can answer this, but is there a correlation between inflammatory foods and cravings?
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I eat PB from the spoon to assuage hunger. For me, it's self-limiting so I don't worry too much about overdoing it. I love almonds, but for some reason hated almond butter.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote